Tomas Tatar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd move Tatar for Letang so quick. Tatar is good but I don't see him being a star type of player. Letang is a legit first pairing defenseman. He has a big cap so I'm not sure how we could make that work though. Given the opportunity and the means, we would be dumb not to though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Jurco really hasn't done all that much TBH and from my perspective we'd being paying for his potential more so than his current production. And in this case taking a risk ourselves. And though Letang has holes in his game he's one of the better RHPMD in the league. Something I thought you guys needed. His stroke at this point really is a non issue (according to the doctors anyhow). Jurco and Dekeyser for Letang value wise isn't insane at all. Currently Letang is the best player of the three. I don't think that can be disputed. But if it's not a deal you like, fair enough.

Jurco + Dekeyser for Letang isn't crazy. I have no interest in it because of many reasons, but it's not crazy. Plus, it would likely be Jurco, Dekeyser, and a high pick with Pitts retaining part of that contract

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Jurco really hasn't done all that much TBH and from my perspective we'd being paying for his potential more so than his current production. And in this case taking a risk ourselves. And though Letang has holes in his game he's one of the better RHPMD in the league. Something I thought you guys needed. His stroke at this point really is a non issue (according to the doctors anyhow). Jurco and Dekeyser for Letang value wise isn't insane at all. Currently Letang is the best player of the three. I don't think that can be disputed. But if it's not a deal you like, fair enough.

He might be the best player (of all four), but as others have alluded to, his monster contract and health concerns do drag his value down. Tatar for Letang straight up is the best trade from our POV, especially if Pitts retain some salary. Jurco AND DD? No way.

But I can't see two conference rivals making a trade like this, especially when Pens fans have been bemoaning their lack of goalscoring wingers for years. If it weren't for the fact we'd be rectifying each others biggest holes, the trade might make sense.

stavy

Jul 11, 2013
michigan
Jurco + Dekeyser for Letang isn't crazy. I have no interest in it because of many reasons, but it's not crazy. Plus, it would likely be Jurco, Dekeyser, and a high pick with Pitts retaining part of that contract

No one in their right mind would make that trade, if pitts did it would be one of the stupidest trades on their part. The trade you proposed would be like us trading Kronwall for Steve downie+Olli Maatta. A trade to get letang would probably be, Tatar+Dekeyser+1st round pick tbh or switch out tatar with nyquist.

stavy

Jul 11, 2013
michigan
Regarding my last post i really dont see to many of our prospects becoming big star players. Trade some prospects for legit players everyone knows can play

Michael8771*

No one in their right mind would make that trade, if pitts did it would be one of the stupidest trades on their part. The trade you proposed would be like us trading Kronwall for Steve downie+Olli Maatta. A trade to get letang would probably be, Tatar+Dekeyser+1st round pick tbh or switch out tatar with nyquist.
Maybe a couple of years ago but not now. Though it's not a major issue anymore the stroke has mitigated Letang's value a little bit. Although he's played quite a bit since with no apparent issues. However, if you think it would take Tatar, Dekeyser and a first, Sign me up! :handclap:

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Maybe a couple of years ago but not now. Though it's not a major issue anymore the stroke has mitigated Letang's value a little bit. Although he's played quite a bit since with no apparent issues. However, if you think it would take Tatar, Dekeyser and a first, Sign me up! :handclap:

Thats a brutal overpayment. I wouldnt move Dekeyser for Letang straight up.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Regarding my last post i really dont see to many of our prospects becoming big star players. Trade some prospects for legit players everyone knows can play

In what world do average prospects return legit players everyone knows can play?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
Any interest in Ericsson? He plays the right side beside Kronwall primarily despite shooting left. On a pretty affordable contract for the foreseeable future.

Tatar + Ericsson + 2nd for Letang?

I don't see Detroit trading away a young forward (Tatar) AND one of their young D (Dekeyser/Smith) all at once.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
A defenseman like Letang is exactly what the team needs. I'd trade Tatar in a heartbeat.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
A defenseman like Letang is exactly what the team needs. I'd trade Tatar in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Letang is still young and talented and RH shot. He wouldn't even be available if he didn't have a heart problem previously. You can't expect to get a player like him without some sort of issue - but the health issue doesn't seem that bad considering he will be monitored from now on. I'd give quite a bit to acquire him. These types of players usually aren't available until later in their 30's.

Michael8771*

Any interest in Ericsson? He plays the right side beside Kronwall primarily despite shooting left. On a pretty affordable contract for the foreseeable future.

Tatar + Ericsson + 2nd for Letang?

I don't see Detroit trading away a young forward (Tatar) AND one of their young D (Dekeyser/Smith) all at once.
Not real interested in Ericsson.

Last edited by a moderator:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Letang is a legit first pairing defenseman.

No he is not. He makes more brain farts in his own zone then Brendan Smith did in his rookie year. And he is about to enter into his prime. In all honesty because of who they get to play with I would question every player that puts up #'s on d in Pittsburgh with a whole hell of a lot of scrutiny. The point totals they are capable of producing is inflated because of pp time with sid or malkin and Letang is lost in the sauce when it comes to defensive zone awareness. He at best is a off-d who should be a #4. However he gets by with being top pairing material solely because of the team he is on allowing him to score 45-55 points a year to cover for his hideous defensive shortcomings.

In all reality if we need a rh d shot I say we go after green in ufa this year for a 2-3 year contract.

Actual Thought*

I wouldn't touch Letang. Over rated, over paid, and is a major health risk. The kind of player who can drag your franchise down for years. No thanks.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think we should leave the days of the kid line in the past. Tatar is struggling to utilize his line-mates, while Jurco has been snake bitten. Pairing them up just doesn't make sense right now.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If we're trading guys like Tatar, Dekeyser, etc, then we shouldn't be trading them for Letang. I'm a fan of Letang and all, but he has zero experience playing under a coach like Babcock. Very few players have come to Detroit and been able to produce without having been developed in our system and quite a few players have gone into Pittsburgh and been able to look like monsters in the point column. I'm highly skeptical that the Letang we'd have in Detroit would be the Letang we've seen in Pittsburgh. Also, his injury history scares me. We can't be giving up the likes of Dekeyser and Tatar for a guy that might have his brain scrambled by the time he's 30.

Also, I think the obsession with right-handed defenseman has gotten out of control on this board and in the board room. The problem with our defense has a hell of a lot more to do with sheer talent than it does handedness. Ericsson, Dekeyser, and Smith are simply not as good as we like to think they are. I have hopes that Smith and Dekeyser will continue progress beyond what they are now, but they aren't world-beaters and probably never will be. And Kronwall isn't Lidstrom. He can handily hold down the #1 spot but he can't take over the defense and eat up 26-30 minutes a night. Its scary that how much of a drop-off in talent there is from Kronwall to anyone else on our defense when Kronwall himself isn't the cream of the crop as far as #1 defenseman go.

And because this is a Tatar thread, I'd just like to point out that he's on pace for 25 goals, despite his relatively low point totals.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't touch Letang. Over rated, over paid, and is a major health risk. The kind of player who can drag your franchise down for years. No thanks.

Based on what has been discussed thus far in this thread... I'd say he's underrated more than anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should leave the days of the kid line in the past. Tatar is struggling to utilize his line-mates, while Jurco has been snake bitten. Pairing them up just doesn't make sense right now.

I wouldn't touch the lines right now. Tatar wants to score goals, finishes his chances, and puts himself in good position to do so. Don't really care if he utilizes his linemates the best or not.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
When reading trade proposals I realize I am ultra attached to players already in the organization. Sheesh I was a fanboy for five minutes of Kent Huskins, Colaiacovo, Commodore, White, all our rouge D the last seasons, because they wore the winged wheel and stepped up for this team. I even had the utmost confidence that Brunner, Brunnstrom, and Mursak would be world beaters on our top lines. Shows what I know.

It's hard to imagine Smith or Tatar being gone after watching their Calder Cup run, how well they've fit into our lineup contributing each game. They exemplify what type of winners the DRW draft, you might feel jinxed letting a player like them go. For example Helm, I love that guy no matter how stone his hands are, it would pain me if the Wings gave him up.

BUT if we have a GM who is willing to gamble and have some fun (which we don't), I think anything could be on the table. Let the chips roll, baby. The Wings system is set in stone it only makes players better, look at Hudler and Filppula. Letang or Ovechkin, Myers...anyone will thrive in the DRW system. What if we had another Russian forward, Nichushkin, Kuznetsov, or Yakupov to link with Datsyuk? As attached as I am to our man Tatar, I will have as much belief in the next player who could fill his skates.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
When reading trade proposals I realize I am ultra attached to players already in the organization. Sheesh I was a fanboy for five minutes of Kent Huskins, Colaiacovo, Commodore, White, all our rouge D the last seasons, because they wore the winged wheel and stepped up for this team. I even had the utmost confidence that Brunner, Brunnstrom, and Mursak would be world beaters on our top lines. Shows what I know.

It's hard to imagine Smith or Tatar being gone after watching their Calder Cup run, how well they've fit into our lineup contributing each game. They exemplify what type of winners the DRW draft, you might feel jinxed letting a player like them go. For example Helm, I love that guy no matter how stone his hands are, it would pain me if the Wings gave him up.

BUT if we have a GM who is willing to gamble and have some fun (which we don't), I think anything could be on the table. Let the chips roll, baby. The Wings system is set in stone it only makes players better, look at Hudler and Filppula. Letang or Ovechkin, Myers...anyone will thrive in the DRW system. What if we had another Russian forward, Nichushkin, Kuznetsov, or Yakupov to link with Datsyuk? As attached as I am to our man Tatar, I will have as much belief in the next player who could fill his skates.

Smith wasn't apart of the Calder Cup run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad