Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021
What have you seen from Studicka that leads you to believe that? Other than a gapping hole at the position

Far from Gapping hole...coyle, foligno, studs, and Haula. So not gapping...thinner than wanted.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Asked earlier, but with more time having passed and Hertl's future in SJ in question I figured I'd ask again.

Would the following package work for SJ from WSH?

To WSH:
Tomas Hertl (subsequently extended by Washington)

To SJ:
Connor McMichael (Washington's top prospect by a mile)
2022 First Round Draft Pick

I think it's more than most Washington fans would like to give up, but not me. Unless Connor McMichael impresses enough out of camp such that he forces himself into the top 6, I think he has much more utility as a trade chip now to help Washington contend for another Stanley Cup and to get Ovechkin a better center to help him achieve the goal record. Despite Backstrom's past success he is slowing down and his hip problem going forward are a big question mark. And while I think Kuznetsov is many times unfairly criticized there is no question that he is not nearly the player that Hertl is. I'd really like to see WSH get a legit 1C immediately, and Hertl fits the bill.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Asked earlier, but with more time having passed and Hertl's future in SJ in question I figured I'd ask again.

To WSH:

To SJ:

I think it's more than most Washington fans would like to give up, but not me. Unless Connor McMichael impresses enough out of camp such that he forces himself into the top 6, I think he has much more utility as a trade chip now to help Washington contend for another Stanley Cup and to get Ovechkin a better center to help him achieve the goal record. Despite Backstrom's past success he is slowing down and his hip problem going forward are a big question mark. And while I think Kuznetsov is many times unfairly criticized there is no question that he is not nearly the player that Hertl is. I'd really like to see WSH get a legit 1C immediately, and Hertl fits the bill.

I'd need to see what McMichael does this season and for Hertl's situation to not be resolved to consider this. If Hertl doesn't want to extend and McMichael is the best prospect available of the teams Hertl would go to then I'd consider it.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

To WSH:

To SJ:

Cap space going forward for the caps? Just wondering how hertl fits.

Reactions: twabby

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

To WSH:

To SJ:

This is the type of deal I'd expect at the deadline.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Cap space going forward for the caps? Just wondering how hertl fits.

Washington would have to shed about $5 million in salary to get Hertl to fit.

I imagine Washington may have considered trading Kuznetsov this offseason but with no takers. That would have been the easiest solution to make the cap work.

Justin Schultz and Michal Kempny make a combined $6.5 million against the cap and both contracts expire this season. Hagelin has $2.75 million per year for 2 more years. I'd consider dumping any or all of these players to make the cap work, though I certainly don't expect San Jose to be the team taking these contracts back. It'd be tough to make the numbers work, but I imagine it's doable.

I imagine a Hertl deal would likely make more sense as an in-season trade or a trade-deadline trade since Washington and San Jose will both have a better idea of where they stand in terms of needs and whether Hertl will consider re-signing in San Jose, but I was curious about value going back to San Jose.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Washington would have to shed about $5 million in salary to get Hertl to fit.

I imagine Washington may have considered trading Kuznetsov this offseason but with no takers. That would have been the easiest solution to make the cap work.

Justin Schultz and Michal Kempny make a combined $6.5 million against the cap and both contracts expire this season. Hagelin has $2.75 million per year for 2 more years. I'd consider dumping any or all of these players to make the cap work, though I certainly don't expect San Jose to be the team taking these contracts back. It'd be tough to make the numbers work, but I imagine it's doable.

I imagine a Hertl deal would likely make more sense as an in-season trade or a trade-deadline trade since Washington and San Jose will both have a better idea of where they stand in terms of needs and whether Hertl will consider re-signing in San Jose, but I was curious about value going back to San Jose.

I have always speculated that Washington would be on Hertl's 3 team trade list, just to have a chance to play with Ovechkin.

Cap wise, if we trade Hertl, Sharks don't need to worry about cap, as we are not competing. A one year cap-dump would be fine. I suspect you would need to send some money back, which depending on how much you are talking could cost you more in way of futures. How about:

Hertl @ 3.2 M (with an extension worked out) for Hagelin + McMichael + 1st + 2023 2nd (Becomes a 1st if you make finals in 22 or 23)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have always speculated that Washington would be on Hertl's 3 team trade list, just to have a chance to play with Ovechkin.

Cap wise, if we trade Hertl, Sharks don't need to worry about cap, as we are not competing. A one year cap-dump would be fine. I suspect you would need to send some money back, which depending on how much you are talking could cost you more in way of futures. How about:

Hertl @ 3.2 M (with an extension worked out) for Hagelin + McMichael + 1st + 2023 2nd (Becomes a 1st if you make finals in 22 or 23)

With an extension in place I'd do this deal. Hagelin still has utility as a 4th line forward and PKer and could potentially be flipped next year by the Sharks if they are rebuilding, so I'd hope he wouldn't cost WSH a second round pick to make work, but I'm not going to let it be a dealbreaker to get a player of Hertl's ability.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
With an extension in place I'd do this deal. Hagelin still has utility as a 4th line forward and PKer and could potentially be flipped next year by the Sharks if they are rebuilding, so I'd hope he wouldn't cost WSH a second round pick to make work, but I'm not going to let it be a dealbreaker to get a player of Hertl's ability.

It is not so much a penalty for Hagelin as it is getting a bit more value for Hertl (if you have a negotiated extension in place, especially). Adding Hagelin helps you on that 1st year of extension, too, which am sure you will need/want.

Without Hertl we are not contending this year or next, so we will call it a "refresh" since we cant rebuild.

You with Hertl likely makes your 1st round pick in the high 20s, or low 30s overall. That is not a lot of value for a 1C of Hertl's caliber. Adding the conditional 2nd gets us some insurance on your pick becoming 32 overall.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

To WSH:

To SJ:

Like other deals its not like an instant no, but its the type of deal you see at the deadline if thats the best offer we can find.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

To WSH:

To SJ:

I think the Sharks would definitely accept that

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Hertl says he might take less money to stay if Sharks are competitive

"[Thornton] was one of the guys, he could take way more money, but he takes less because he wants a really good team," Hertl said Friday. "I like that idea. You can go somewhere else, sign the maximum, even maybe too much, but you're losing for the next eight years.
"I don't want to be in this position. I just don't want to say I will take less and just take it for the team, but I think I'm a little bit for that idea."

As anyone who follows the Sharks knows, Hertl wants to stay in San Jose.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Hertl says he might take less money to stay if Sharks are competitive

"[Thornton] was one of the guys, he could take way more money, but he takes less because he wants a really good team," Hertl said Friday. "I like that idea. You can go somewhere else, sign the maximum, even maybe too much, but you're losing for the next eight years.
"I don't want to be in this position. I just don't want to say I will take less and just take it for the team, but I think I'm a little bit for that idea."

As anyone who follows the Sharks knows, Hertl wants to stay in San Jose.

If he is only staying if the team is competitive, well he's gone already.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hertl to the Bruins makes a ton of sense at some point before or at the deadline.

I don't think the Bruins have enough to get a deal done here. Yeah the Sharks only have potentially three teams to deal with but unless Hertl is purposely limiting those three to the Bruins and two non-playoff teams ahead of time, the Bruins probably won't outbid other playoff teams.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think the Bruins have enough to get a deal done here. Yeah the Sharks only have potentially three teams to deal with but unless Hertl is purposely limiting those three to the Bruins and two non-playoff teams ahead of time, the Bruins probably won't outbid other playoff teams.
If the list is something like Bruins, Pens, Vegas, I think Bruins offer the best package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad