Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick + Picks (Part 2)

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I understand the PR move. However, as you said, Chiarot will be a UFA and should garner a 1st rounder too. We're not used to having more than 1 1st rounder in Montreal. 2 would have been enough. Could have traded Chiarot this year and Toffoli next year. I'd be really surprised if anyone well connected told me that what they received this year would not have been matched next year; heck this is what I would have liked for Toffoli if he had been a pending UFA.. And the Habs would have had a mentor for scoring winger Cole Caufield.

We also have drafted a LOT of prospects these last couple of seasons, so spreading the picks over 2 years might have been a good idea to not lose prospects uselessly because of contract limits too.
Or maybe Tofu asked to be traded, and out of respect KH obliged.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Because there is no reason to keep guys over 30 years old on a rebuild on 2/3 years, and rather selling high when it’s time. I don’t see the reason to keep him until his 33 years old and then trade him for a 2nd pick. Cap space is also something really important
He's not over 30 though and I'm not advocating keeping him until his contract expires.

Chiarot will be dealt this season and we will have other 2022 assets. Why gather so many picks in a season where you have fired the head of the scouting department and have yet to rebuild the scouting culture and structure when you could have easily spread the picks on 2 different years giving more time to your organization to be ready to make the right picks?

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
This is a possibility. True. However, he said that he did not, I'm inclined to believe him, especially with his wife's reaction.
Nah, smart players keep things clean for the media, and stay strong on the ice... GMs appreciate this, and normally take care of them.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
What's even the point of arguing with the likes of you?

There are vets around yes, but not many with he kind of the couple of experience (including a Stanley cup) and skillset that Toffoli has that was in my opinion a good fit with Cole Caufield and Nick Suzuki.

The point about the fact that you can't control everything is that if you justify trading a player this year because of the possibility that said player might get injured next, just trade the entire damn team then, not an overly complex concept.
I wish you well going forward
#mentalhealth

Reactions: themilosh

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Well, Toffoli is better now and for the next 4 years than Heineman (who never skated in NA rinks).
Big question mark with Heineman. Now for the next 1rst round pick, we'll see in 4 years what that player will look like. Maybe he's gonna be another bust like Habs used to draft. We know the music. If we are lucky, one of Heineman and that pick will be equal with Toffoli, in 3 to 5 years.
And I guess the very good veterans players will leave in that demolition plan, to eventually rebuilt from scratch. Strip to the studs and take 5 years to get something that looks like a nhl team. Who will be interrested in signing here as a ufa when the team is totally stripped down? I hope Gorton and Hughes have hidden cards in their pockets because any ufa player with a brain functionning will not want to sign here. Sorry optimists folks if your tire is flat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know one reason was when the trade appeared to be imminent Tony on TSN690 all of the sudden became a Flames prospect expert and zeroed in on Pelletier and now a lot of his mouth breathing brethren are just repeating it. I’d wager he and 95% of his repeaters never heard of Pelletier until Tony googled “Calgary Flames prospects”.

I've been listening to the noon show on 690 to try and get more info on how the Toffoli deal went down.

Instead of that, I have to hear that ill-prepared Milquetoast of Campbell asking quiz-like questions about highly speculative subjects to individuals who did not have that kind of insider knowledge. Campbell was so out of it that he asked Robertson if he thought the Habs were going to make more deals. He clearly told him that he didn't know. Same question to Marinaro and Ohane and they didn't know either, that they're just speculating.

I flipped to another station, came back. And now Campbell asks all of his 3 guests if they think the Habs will be making trades in bunches. :laugh:

And then Campbell spends the rest of the time, making simpleton preambles where he keeps adding "I get that" or "I get it". I mean ... it's not that he's getting something that requires complex argumentation that results into several competing non-obvious options. He keeps getting "it", and repeating same while "it" is the most annoyingly simple thing that goes without saying.

Who turned this guy into a host? And why is this being allowed to go on? God. :facepalm:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He's not over 30 though and I'm not advocating keeping him until his contract expires.

Chiarot will be dealt this season and we will have other 2022 assets. Why gather so many picks in a season where you have fired the head of the scouting department and have yet to rebuild the scouting culture and structure when you could have easily spread the picks on 2 different years giving more time to your organization to be ready to make the right picks?
Thats your point of view and I respect that. But in term were Montreal are in rebuild, I prefer to cash in every asset we could get to have a shorter period of rebuild. players value fluctuate a lot over the years, age, terms, production, supply and demand law, contracts, salary cap….

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Suzuki is not a vet.

Gallagher, I'm not sure that he will want to stay.

Lehkonen is rumored to be on the move

Hoffman and Drouin? Really? You really want to include those in your list?

Agree on Anderson, Armia and Byron though.

I count Suzuki as a young vet. Led our team in playoff scoring two years in a row, last year en route to the finals. Leads our team in scoring again this season, wearing an 'A' on his jersey and showing poise and maturity despite the terrible season while other veterans sulk.

Gallagher and Lehkonen may be moved, but for now they are here and they very well may remain past this season. We also may bring in vets on short term deals during the offseason to fill the void if they are dealt.

Hoffman and Drouin are vets. I don't think they are team leaders but they are vets.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope they model Winnipegs team this year. Tough as nails, can score, built for the fans and playoffs. I would not want to play that team in this years playoffs. All I keep hearing is they want a 'fast' team, and history has proven over and over this means nothing unless its also filled with size, grit, toughness. Last year's playoffs this team was big, somewhat nasty then they it fell all apart. If the new gm doesn't care about this, and somehow thinkg speed is going to win... we are in for another painful tenure

Fair question. They should ask Hughes at the first opportunity when he gives a presser.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hughes said he wanted a fast team, only reason why i think he traded him... that and perhaps he believes by the time we are ready to compete he wont be the player he his now.. that and his current value.

I think the biggest reason is that it is unlikely that Montreal is remotely competitive before the 2024-2025 season.

Reactions: Naslund

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If management is worth a shit the Habs should definitely be showing some serious progression by that point. If they're still at the bottom, something went wrong.
Yep, if there's no upward progress by 23-24 things have not gone well. Next year is trending to be another tank season but I would be very surprised if the plan is for the team to be in the basement for another two full seasons. If 23-24 ends up being an 18-wheeler off a cliff year where injuries and circumstances snowball out of control that's one thing, but if we tank again next year and go into October 2023 planning to tank again I'm going to be skeptical of the plan at that point unless there's legitimate injury reasons to punt that year.

Some of this is I'm just relatively high on what we already have plus the projection of who we could pick this year. I don't really see a need to keep tanking when by 23-24 we should have Suzuki, Wright/Cooley, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov, Harris, Ylonen, and potentially ~two of Norlinder/Struble/Tuch/Mysak/Roy/Farrell on top of the 2023 1st round pick who could potentially be in the lineup year 1, and possibly Mailloux depending on his development. That's probably not a contending core by that point but I think it would be a pretty major failure if that core supplemented by vets in UFA/trade isn't enough to at least be somewhere around the playoff bubble.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Toffoli said he wanted to stay in Montreal.

In a post-trade interview, he said he was 50/50 on whether he wanted to stay around for a rebuild. So it's kind of both and neither one at the same time. The interview was quoted a couple of times in the last thread.

Reactions: dralaf

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think the biggest reason is that it is unlikely that Montreal is remotely competitive before the 2024-2025 season.

If we aren't competitive by the time we've brought in our top picks from 2021-2022 and 2022-23, we've done it wrong. One of the big issues we see with these young teams is guys that aren't ready/capable being put into a position to carry the roster. Trading assets for picks now and then signing FAs while we're on the up and up is likely the best way to go. It's not guaranteed to work out, but imagine if Kakko, Kravtsov, and Lafreniere were high-end players right now for NYR? They'd be as good or better than Tampa.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I think Toffoli told management he wouldn’t mind a trade. Don’t think he asked and don’t think he was adamant like Anderson about wanting to be part of rebuild.

anyways, I’m good with trading him. His value was near its highest and he is slow and only getting older, he needs to be on a win now team not in mtl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad