Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick + Picks (Part 2)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin traded down because statistically its almost always the right thing to do. Relative value of picks outside the top 20ish is pretty insignificant and you can usually find the guy you want. The issue wasn't trading down (or not trading up) it was scouting and development.
I don't know about that. Trading down from end of 2nd round to beginning of 3rd round and getting a 5th round pick in return is not really great value (trade made june 22nd 2019 by MB). I'd say it's a wash at the very very very best in term of value. But it's really probably a lost as 5h round picks hold not much value and very rarely pan out. That trade remains one of the weirdest WTF trade i've ever seen.

Trading down from the end of the first round to the 2nd round if you get an extra 2nd round pick in return then yes it can make sense to do it specially if you don't have a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh and 1909

Jul 6, 2016
Let's say for example that Petry is traded for Dallas 1st...

Would you package Calgary's + Dallas" picks to trade up for a top 12 ? to get a player like a Cutter Gauthier.

Reactions: themilosh

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Don't even need to go that far back, Toronto paid a first for a rental Nick Foglino.

Dvorak is worth a late 1st easily, he isn't worth what was likely to be mid to early 1st and a likely early 2nd that Bergevin paid.

This is just dumb luck though. There was a legitimate chance the pick we traded ended up being a 11th overall to 15th overall pick. Nobody expected this team to make the playoffs but nobody expected it to finish last either. Personally i ranked the team somewhere in between 20th and 24th before the season starts. We finished 18th last year and 24th the previous season. Price was not stellar in either of those season. I was expecting us to finish somewhere around those positions. This is one of the reason i hated this trade so much when it was made.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
@LaP
Agreed, it was a very risky trade, we could have easily lost our own 1st round pick.
Just be happy Bergevin actually had the foresight to top-10 protect the pick, given his ego it wouldn’t have been out of the question that he was so confident as to give up an unprotected 1st after being in the finals last year.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Just be happy Bergevin actually had the foresight to top-10 protect the pick, given his ego it wouldn’t have been out of the question that he was so confident as to give up an unprotected 1st after being in the finals last year.
there is something in that post that contradicts your own words and makes no sens

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Maybe you can apply for Sakics job after he gets fired for trading even more for Lehkonen who was healthy scratched last year at times.
By a dumb coach. Lehk will be a 45 or 50-point guy in Colorado easily. He may not be the best PP option but he's great at ES and we never used him on anything but shutdown lines. He paced for 42 over the entire year. 41 point pace with us, 46 point pace with Colorado.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
With the Flames winning their division, their pick can be no lower than 25th.

Order explained in the link below:

Yeah so reading it confirmed that if Calgary is out first round, 25th pick at worst

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah so reading it confirmed that if Calgary is out first round, 24th pick at worst

No, Calgary won their division, they come after playoff teams that did not win their division and did not make the conference finals. At best that is 25th (and that is if all 4 division winners lose in the first two rounds).

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
No, Calgary won their division, they come after playoff teams that did not win their division and did not make the conference finals. At best that is 25th (and that is if all 4 division winners lose in the first two rounds).
The way I read it was "winning their division" as through the playoff, not the reg season. sorry

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The way I read it was "winning their division" as through the playoff, not the reg season. sorry

No worries, it’s (Calgary’s pick position) been talked about on here a bit and has been somewhat misunderstood. Although, I should probably understand not everyone spends as much time looking at this forum as I do.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This does not surprise me,was not a fan of his.

He was a beauty for us. I would have been curious to see what he would do if we had a strong team. But I'm happier with a full, thorough rebuild.

In today's game, which is still getting faster, a lot of players will decline by 32, especially those that are onnthe slower side.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He was a beauty for us. I would have been curious to see what he would do if we had a strong team. But I'm happier with a full, thorough rebuild.

In today's game, which is still getting faster, a lot of players will decline by 32, especially those that are onnthe slower side.
A lot of people were/are enamored by him,not me,don't particularity like his game,very opportunistic but to each their own.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of people were/are enamored by him,not me,don't particularity like his game,very opportunistic but to each their own.

There are a gazillion players on our roster whose game I don't like. He wasn't one of them for me.

Bergevin loved his grinders. We are now and have been for years starving for top 6 talent. So, I appreciated having him. It's good that we traded him as part of the rebuild. But now we have 2 top 6 forwards - and for the most part an unwatchable offense.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Toffoli is showing why it made sense to sell him sooner rather than later.

If we held onto him, we ran the risk of him finishing the year like he did in Calgary and his value decreasing. He's still young enough to rebound and put up 25+ goals next year, but Hughes did a good job of playing it safe and cashing in while his value was still at a high.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There are a gazillion players on our roster whose game I don't like. He wasn't one of them for me.

Bergevin loved his grinders. We are now and have been for years starving for top 6 talent. So, I appreciated having him. It's good that we traded him as part of the rebuild. But now we have 2 top 6 forwards - and for the most part an unwatchable offense.
Thought roster limit was 23:sarcasm::jk:

Yup,so many on so many teams.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Toffoli is showing why it made sense to sell him sooner rather than later.

If we held onto him, we ran the risk of him finishing the year like he did in Calgary and his value decreasing. He's still young enough to rebound and put up 25+ goals next year, but Hughes did a good job of playing it safe and cashing in while his value was still at a high.
When is the last time the Habs sold high?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin and foresight are mutually exclusive propositions.

Just a blind squirrel who found a nut inside a broken clock that happened to be right in a fleeting moment.

When is the last time the Habs sold high?
Chiarot!

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad