Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick + Picks (Part 2)

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wanted more for Toffoli - not an extra 2nd, but either a really good prospect or a 1st likely to be at the end of the lottery.

But there's no guarantee that's where his value would get to. And, like you said, it helped us get a top 3 pick, and that is probably most important. Plus it helps with the tank next year. So, I have come around to liking the trade.

Next up, over the next few years, Byron, Drouin, Jake Allen, Hoffman, Edmundson, Savard, Devorak, Petry...

Hopefully Eddy, Petry, and Dvo bring us 3 more 1sts...
Drouin, Byron and Allen definitely gone by trade deadline. Hopefully they play well enough to return decent asset. Like to average a 2nd for each? We got a 2nd for Kulak and a year ago many on here wanted him traded for a 7th

Reactions: viceroy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin, Byron and Allen definitely gone by trade deadline. Hopefully they play well enough to return decent asset. Like to average a 2nd for each? We got a 2nd for Kulak and a year ago many on here wanted him traded for a 7th
Those 3 players could get 2nds, or could each get nothing. With all three there is the possibility of injury. With Drouin, his turnovers could just mean he has no value.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
When the trade happen, I really liked because of Heineman. More I see the draft of 2022, more this trade look very very good. 2022 draft looks deep and Habs can still select pretty good player with that late pick. Habs can trade up too with CGY pick and a early 2nd round Habs. We got assets now and it's pretty good to have if they want to trade up.

Reactions: themilosh

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Flames have an easy path to the conference finals. I could also see them being able to contain a team like the Avs similarly to how Vegas did last year. That 1st will be very late.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Those 3 players could get 2nds, or could each get nothing. With all three there is the possibility of injury. With Drouin, his turnovers could just mean he has no value.
Oh cmon.. Drouin isnt that bad.. i could see him garner a 1st. Perfect player for a contender against the cap to add depth scoring.
Byron likely a 2nd.
Allen could fetch the most if the goalie situation is as dire as it was this year.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh cmon.. Drouin isnt that bad.. i could see him garner a 1st. Perfect player for a contender against the cap to add depth scoring.
Byron likely a 2nd.
Allen could fetch the most if the goalie situation is as dire as it was this year.
There’s no way those two garner that type of return. Both are diminishing assets and can never stay healthy. Byron maybe gets a 2nd if he has a decent season with the Habs and goes at the deadline.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Byron likely a 2nd.
There's no guarantee Byron (or Drouin or Allen) are healthy at the TDL. If they're not healthy, they're likely not getting any return...

It's within the realm of possibility that Drouin gets a 1st. But so many stars have to align. First of all, he has to stay healthy. 2nd he has to put up the numbers he's put up in spurts consistently. And he can't be so soft on the puck. Teams will notice if he is.
Post automatically merged:

Flames have an easy path to the conference finals. I could also see them being able to contain a team like the Avs similarly to how Vegas did last year. That 1st will be very late.
The 2nd round shouldn't be easy with the likes of Minnesota, STL, and Edmonton as possible matchups. Edmonton have been on fire since adding Kulak to their dcore and Evander Kane to the offense.

Moar first round picks plz.

Petry, Edmundson, and Dvorak have the potential to add 3 more 1sts over the next few years, if we're patient and play our cards right...

Reactions: themilosh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When the trade happen, I really liked because of Heineman. More I see the draft of 2022, more this trade look very very good. 2022 draft looks deep and Habs can still select pretty good player with that late pick. Habs can trade up too with CGY pick and a early 2nd round Habs. We got assets now and it's pretty good to have if they want to trade up.

You know Gorton is going to be looking to trade up.

He did so with Braden Schneider and K'Andre Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevSkillz4

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The 2nd round shouldn't be easy with the likes of Minnesota, STL, and Edmonton as possible matchups. Edmonton have been on fire since adding Kulak to their dcore and Evander Kane to the offense.
Flames will face one of Oilers/Kings if they beat the Stars. Oilers are still a heavily flawed team.

Jul 6, 2016
Not so sure about Allen. Byron might not even play at all next season. And Drouin is the usual enigma. He said that he loves MSL approach. That has yet to be seen how productive he could be in that concept.

You know Gortonnis going to be looking to trade up.

He did so with Braden Schneider and K'Andre Miller.
I do prefer trade ups then Bergevin's f***ing trade downs. HUghes and Gorton have 14 picks. They won't picked that many players. Trade some in trade ups, package others to get rid of expensive unproductive vets (Armia, Byron and Hoffman, hopefully)

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandBison and ML16

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Flames will face one of Oilers/Kings if they beat the Stars. Oilers are still a heavily flawed team.
True. But they have 2 of the best players in the world. Only a matter of time before they break out.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Not so sure about Allen. Byron might not even play at all next season. And Drouin is the usual enigma. He said that he loves MSL approach. That has yet to be seen how productive he could be in that concept.

I do prefer trade ups then Bergevin's f***ing trade downs. HUghes and Gorton have 14 picks. They won't picked that many players. Trade some in trade ups, package others to get rid of expensive unproductive vets (Armia, Byron and Hoffman, hopefully)
Trading up or down depends on context. Top 15 picks don't move much because of the value relative to other picks. You have to be very careful trading down anywhere in the top 2 rounds or so because there is still a pretty good chance that you could pick a good player. From the 3rd and on it's not a bad move depending on the offer.
The key is to keep scouts, GM, and anyone else concerned in the loop. There were a few drafts where it looked like Bergevin was trading down and his scouts were not thrilled. If you have a guy, fine, take him. If the next guy you want isn't likely to go any time soon you might as well get something for the difference. It's certainly possible that by the time you hit the middle of the 5th round that pretty much all the impact players are gone. Even after the fourth you are probably looking to get one of maybe 3 or 4 decent players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm not in favor of using a pick to move byron. He himself may fetch a pick at the next TDL.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
There’s no way those two garner that type of return. Both are diminishing assets and can never stay healthy. Byron maybe gets a 2nd if he has a decent season with the Habs and goes at the deadline.
diminishing assets mean nothing if the contract is expiring and a team needs depth for a playoff push.

Reactions: viceroy

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I think Bergs traded down because Timmins had more success in later rounds. Romanov, Harris, Gallagher, Evans than first round. Give him more shots

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The prospect we all wanted, Jakob Pelletier, was drafted 26th overall. If the Flames can find high quality prospects like him late in the first round, we should be able to as well.
It's ALWAYS more about nurturing and developing than it is drafting a Mcdavid or Gretzky.

A player like Scherbak... how the HELL do you waste that talent...

The guy could literally outside inside and then pull the goalies jock off and slide it in...

and we said * GRIND DEES GUYS * to him.

HORRIBLE asset management. Bad agent.. bad lawyers. BAD.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think Bergs traded down because Timmins had more success in later rounds. Romanov, Harris, Gallagher, Evans than first round. Give him more shots

Bergevin traded down because statistically its almost always the right thing to do. Relative value of picks outside the top 20ish is pretty insignificant and you can usually find the guy you want. The issue wasn't trading down (or not trading up) it was scouting and development.

Reactions: muzion

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There's no guarantee Byron (or Drouin or Allen) are healthy at the TDL. If they're not healthy, they're likely not getting any return...

It's within the realm of possibility that Drouin gets a 1st. But so many stars have to align. First of all, he has to stay healthy. 2nd he has to put up the numbers he's put up in spurts consistently. And he can't be so soft on the puck. Teams will notice if he is.

Petry, Edmundson, and Dvorak have the potential to add 3 more 1sts over the next few years, if we're patient and play our cards right...
The only person stupid enough to trade a first for 3rd line talent like Dvorak doesn't work as a decision maker anymore.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The only person stupid enough to trade a first for 3rd line talent like Dvorak doesn't work as a decision maker anymore.
Not the only one. Do you remember the price Pule paid for Paul Gaustad?

Gotta hope Dvorak is on pace for 50 points at some point this season. I'd retain 50% to make him more attractive to try to get a good future for him...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not the only one. Do you remember the price Pule paid for Paul Gaustad?

Gotta hope Dvorak is on pace for 50 points at some point this season. I'd retain 50% to make him more attractive to try to get a good future for him...

Don't even need to go that far back, Toronto paid a first for a rental Nick Foglino.

Dvorak is worth a late 1st easily, he isn't worth what was likely to be mid to early 1st and a likely early 2nd that Bergevin paid.

Reactions: Colezuki and 26Mats

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Don't even need to go that far back, Toronto paid a first for a rental Nick Foglino.

Dvorak is worth a late 1st easily, he isn't worth what was likely to be mid to early 1st and a likely early 2nd that Bergevin paid.
Thank god it was a late 1st and hopefully mid 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad