Proposal: Time To Trade David Krejci

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
To me, Soderberg emergeg when he started to play at his natural position. The same privilege should be allow to Spooner. That's why i don't understand why Soupy is still around. Our 4th line need more speed and more skills. We can't continue to watch our 4th line chasing the puck as they were in the playoffs. As for the top 6, i agree with your sentiment. Outside Bergeron and Lucic, eveything is on the table...

Yeah.. lets trade the center who led us to 2 Stanley Cup finals while giving the reins to a center that had 1 48 point year and the other who has never scored and NHL goal. Are we trying to win this thing here?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Felger just laughing at Danny Picard for saying Krejci needs to be resigned and is one of the best centers in the world. Going with Danny here

He will be. The last time Krejci was close to free agency he re-signed in November. In the midst of Haggerty-spurred rumors that the Bruins were looking to trade him, as I recall. :laugh:

Felger thought the Bruins re-signing Bergeron to his last contract was premature. This is a typical refrain from him. He can't seem to comprehend that GMs like Chiarelli lock their key guys up early to avoid an FA scene that resembles the marketplace in "Soylent Green."

Kaoz*

He was a top NHL player for a good portion of his career. Took the Flyers very far in the playoffs too.

Not in 09-10 he wasn't, they couldn't even figure out what position they wanted him to play. Switched between RW and center mainly because they were worried about his ability to play center.

Oh don't get me wrong, he got paid because of his production, but he was hardly the straw that stirred the drink in Philly even though he had 30 points in those playoffs (Krejci's best post season was 26 points btw).

Again. being on a team that makes the finals is a huge part of being able to lead the team in the playoffs. Briere was lucky enough to be on one in 09-10 and he lead the playoffs. Doesn't make him an elite player or one of the best centers in the game.

Also note that I'm not comparing the two, I'd take Krejci 11 times out of 10 over Danny Briere. I'd take a lot of players over Danny Briere. I'd take a few over Krejci too on this team. Without Bergeron and this teams center depth, that statement isn't true but I'm pretty sure Bergeron isn't going anywhere till he retires.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yeah.. lets trade the center who led us to 2 Stanley Cup finals while giving the reins to a center that had 1 48 point year and the other who has never scored and NHL goal. Are we trying to win this thing here?

Oilers traded Gretzky after 2 or 3 Cups and won again without him.

But yeah trading Krejci doesn't make sense in a cap world. :sarcasm:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

That's an incredibly simplistic view. Nobody is suggesting trading Krejci for the sake of it. To ice the best team possible and remain under the cap for this and future seasons, tough calls need to be made. One of those might well be moving quality players.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's an incredibly simplistic view. Nobody is suggesting trading Krejci for the sake of it. To ice the best team possible and remain under the cap for this and future seasons, tough calls need to be made. One of those might well be moving quality players.

I'm sure the Bruins FO are very well prepared to keep Krejci and stay under the cap. The expendable players always go first. The points leader last year is not expendable. Its a risk that is not worth taking and has minimal rewards Considering how dominant we are in the east

member 96824

I'm sure the Bruins FO are very well prepared to keep Krejci and stay under the cap. The expendable players always go first. The points leader last year is not expendable. Its a risk that is not worth taking and has minimal rewards Considering how dominant we are in the east

The expendable players dont always go first, and it doesnt always matter who lead the team in points when. See: July 4th, 2013.

There's a reasonable conversation that can be had here without all the hyperbole about how amazing Krejci is. There are deals that could be made that set the B's up to have a better team. I believe in Soderbergs ability to be a top 6 forward. I also believe in Spooners ability to handle the third line.

I dont think it happens, but their are deals that make sense. We all know Krejci's playoff track record. No need to continue repeating it over and over.

Im not worried about the cup finals they've been to...They've got dvd's for that. I'm thinking about the ones I want them to go to.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The expendable players dont always go first, and it doesnt always matter who lead the team in points when. See: July 4th, 2013.

There's a reasonable conversation that can be had here without all the hyperbole about how amazing Krejci is. There are deals that could be made that set the B's up to have a better team. I believe in Soderbergs ability to be a top 6 forward. I also believe in Spooners ability to handle the third line.

I dont think it happens, but their are deals that make sense. We all know Krejci's playoff track record. No need to continue repeating it over and over.

Im not worried about the cup finals they've been to...They've got dvd's for that. I'm thinking about the ones I want them to go to.

I like Soderberg too but did he really become a dominant force on the 3rd line without Loui Eriksson? I certainly want Spooner on the team, I saw him play in the preseason game against MTL and he looked lightning fast. They all should have a spot in the lineup.

member 96824

I like Soderberg too but did he really become a dominant force on the 3rd line without Loui Eriksson?

Yes. For much of his overseas career, and for this season when Loui was a shell of himself. Carl moving to center had significantly more to do with his success than anything Loui did.

And what stops us from rolling Loui with him? Why cant in this hypothetical situation we go with Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson?

Do you think that combo with Lucic on it wouldnt perform better than with Chris Kelly?

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010

The expendable players do not always go first on this team, - see merlot - and Boston and 'dominant' should never be used in same sentence when eliminated in second round of playoffs by a team that finished seventeen points below them in the regular season standings. And the non-performance of a first-line center who sleepwalked his way through 2014 playoffs can not be disregarded when glancing at the future, and especially when there is competition on the horizon where there was none in the recent past.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like Soderberg too but did he really become a dominant force on the 3rd line without Loui Eriksson? I certainly want Spooner on the team, I saw him play in the preseason game against MTL and he looked lightning fast. They all should have a spot in the lineup.

I disagree with any suggestion that Erikkson somehow made Soderberg. Obviously any good player has his teammates to thank for a lot of his success (where would Krejci be if Lucic didn't retrieve the puck for him and help create his space), but if Loui could actually finish Soderberg probably leads this team in playoff points this year. He was a noticeably better player than Krejci in the playoffs, that's for damn sure. Now obviously Krejcis track record speaks for itself, but that cuts both ways. It also means he will want more money on his next deal, AND he has trade value. These are all things to consider.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I disagree with any suggestion that Erikkson somehow made Soderberg. Obviously any good player has his teammates to thank for a lot of his success (where would Krejci be if Lucic didn't retrieve the puck for him and help create his space), but if Loui could actually finish Soderberg probably leads this team in playoff points this year. He was a noticeably better player than Krejci in the playoffs, that's for damn sure. Now obviously Krejcis track record speaks for itself, but that cuts both ways. It also means he will want more money on his next deal, AND he has trade value. These are all things to consider.

I agree he has trade value, there is not a team that wouldn`t want him on the roster. Playmaking centers are very hard to find. However what do we get for him that makes us better and leads us to a cup? Soderberg had 1 goal and 5 assists in the playoffs, he looked good but those numbers aren`t that great. Krejci despite having a rough playoff had 4 assists, so its a 2 point difference. Also if Iggy doesn`t hit 30 posts or Lucic shank a ton of shots Krejci`s numbers look better too right?

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'm actually not entirely opposed to this idea; as it creates a lot of cap space for this year. But the return has to be appropriate.

Maybe something like Krejci & McQuaid to Winnipeg for Ladd (at 50%), Peluso, and a 1st round pick.

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Ladd-Kelly-Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Peluso

With Spooner & Koko pushing our bottom two centerman at camp, and beyond. Still a lot of strength up the middle in this line-up.

That said, I highly doubt they do it; and keeping Krejci around certainly won't break my heart.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I'm actually not entirely opposed to this idea; as it creates a lot of cap space for this year. But the return has to be appropriate.

Maybe something like Krejci & McQuaid to Winnipeg for Ladd (at 50%), Peluso, and a 1st round pick.

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson
Ladd-Kelly-Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Peluso

With Spooner & Koko pushing our bottom two centerman at camp, and beyond. Still a lot of strength up the middle in this line-up.

That said, I highly doubt they do it; and keeping Krejci around certainly won't break my heart.

Exactly how I feel.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Okay you didn't come out and literally say "trade Krejci for E.Kane", but you made the point about moving Krejci for an upgrade at wing and then posted a lineup with E. Kane on it, and no Krejci, so isn't that kind of the same thing? Even if you mean a guy "like" E. Kane, that isn't enough. You have to do better than a guy like him to warrant the downgrade from Krejci to Soderberg, which is a definitive downgrade, and I say that as someone who likes Soderberg a lot.

The Bruins are in Cap Hell right now... They still need to fill a few holes this year and have very little money to do so. That doesn't address the fact that DK becomes an unrestricted FA at the end of next season (as do Soderberg and Boychuck, with Hamilton a RFA) and could command upwards of 8 million per... We could even loose him for nothing.

It's because of these reasons that someone started this thread, wondering if trading DK would solve the problem... I gave an example and then asked if a move like that (much like the Seguin trade last year) would strengthen or weaken the team .... It's really as simple as that.

The Bruins need a top 6 wing. Some say trade Marchand for one... I was always under the impression that 63 was a top 6 wing. Trading him for another wing really doesn't solve anything, does it? OK, he had a crappy playoffs but so did Krecji, right?

Looking around the league, I think they're a few trades that could make sense for both sides and the Jets are one of them... I think something around a guy like Kane could work. I also think something around a guy like Hodgson, Pominville, or Okposo could work for the Bruins (help us with our cap situation, address a weakness, not cripple our center position and work for the other team.

I'll ask the hypothetical question again (seeing as you never answered it) - is this team

Marchand - Bergeron - Kane (or Hodgson, Etc)
Lucic - Soderberg - Smith
Kelly - Spooner - Eriksson
Pie - Soup - Baby B

better than this team

Looch - DK - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergy - Smith
Kelly - Soda - Frazier
Pie - Soup - Baby B

Loosing DK would suck, but I think the top team would give the Bruins 3 very good lines, it would give them some cap relief and the ability to sign Smith & Krug (and the ability to keep Boychuck) and in my humble opinion, would be a better team than the one on the bottom...

If you don't think so, hey that's fine with me, but you saying a DK / EK trade would be so bad that you can't even come up with an analogy? Well that's just a ridiculous statement (especially coming from a guy who advocated a Krejci, Spooner, Koko, Subban & a 1st for Ryan Johanson trade).

You think going from DK to Soderberg is a huge downgrade and that's fine, but I honestly don't. Once Soda was moved to center, I thought he was one of our better players...

Another question... Both DK & Soda are UFA's at the end of next season. Signing them both will cost the B's another 6ish million (and doesn't account for the large raises that Boychuck & Hamilton will need). We don't know how much the cap will go up next year, but you've got to assume that you can't keep everyone. Do you keep DK (@ 7.5/8 for 5 years) and loose Boychuk & Soda or loose Krecji and keep Soderberg (@ 4.5/5 for 3 years) as well as Boychuck and Hamilton... Honestly, what would you do?

Oh, and not to get side tracked, but people who say we can't get rid of DK because he's a proven playoff performer... The guy's been in playoffs with the Bruins 6 times... He was great in 2 of those years, good in 1, ok in 1 and terrible in 2 (this past year and vs Caps). I think that makes him a pretty normal player, with some good years and some bad years, doesn't it?

Sorry for the long post (to much coffee). Happy 4th to all!!!

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
the problem with trading Krejci for Evander Kane is that it defeats the purpose; they both carry the same cap hit for this year. If we aren't significantly saving money and getting some good assets, the point is moot.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
the problem with trading Krejci for Evander Kane is that it defeats the purpose; they both carry the same cap hit for this year. If we aren't significantly saving money and getting some good assets, the point is moot.

Yeah but we are strong at center and not really at all on the wings.

Edit; Well we're not terribly weak on wings, but we do still need a RW.

Kaoz*

I agree he has trade value, there is not a team that wouldn`t want him on the roster. Playmaking centers are very hard to find. However what do we get for him that makes us better and leads us to a cup? Soderberg had 1 goal and 5 assists in the playoffs, he looked good but those numbers aren`t that great. Krejci despite having a rough playoff had 4 assists, so its a 2 point difference. Also if Iggy doesn`t hit 30 posts or Lucic shank a ton of shots Krejci`s numbers look better too right?

1 goal, 5 assists in 15:41 average TOI for Soderberg
0 goals, 4 assists in 20:51 average TOI for Krejci

Soderberg was putting up 1.86 points per 60 minutes. Krejci was putting up 0.93. Far more significant then the 2 points you see on the statline.

However, that doesn't take into consideration the quality of players they were facing. The opposition was almost certainly putting out their better defenders against the Krejci line, so Soderberg and his mates drew the easier matchups. That's where all the risk would lie in this scenario, how would Soderberg do against other teams tougher matchups.

Personally I think that risk would be mitigated by the substantial improvement in linemates, even if it's just swapping out Lucic for Fraser, which I believe makes the scenario feasible. That and the potential for a guy like Spooner to develop into a top 6 center as well.

Still a risk no doubt, but the pieces seem to be in place to properly balance it out. I'd bring back Iginla as well, letting him walk is a huge mistake imo, Boston will be way too thin on the right side to even contemplate competing for the cup next year imo.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Sure. But let me back up a second to clarify my position:

David Krejci is probably my favorite Bruin to watch. I cringe at the thought of a lineup without him. It took me until last season to admit that Bergeron is probably more valuable than him. However, when I look at options to fill our biggest holes AND address our cap issue, he seems like the most logical to move. If you deal him for say, a top 6 winger, you save money, you address weakness on the wing, you open a spot for a kid most say needs to play center and is ready to play. Now of course, replcaing him with Spooner and upgrading your wing plus opening up cap space might mean a worse team. If I'm a betting man, it probably does. But does it make you worse than dealing Boychuk and giving more minutes to guys like Bartkowsi? Ultimately, it's that type of analysis I'm not so sure of.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Amen...

The Bruins are in Cap Hell right now... They still need to fill a few holes this year and have very little money to do so. That doesn't address the fact that DK becomes an unrestricted FA at the end of next season (as do Soderberg and Boychuck, with Hamilton a RFA) and could command upwards of 8 million per... We could even loose him for nothing.

It's because of these reasons that someone started this thread, wondering if trading DK would solve the problem... I gave an example and then asked if a move like that (much like the Seguin trade last year) would strengthen or weaken the team .... It's really as simple as that.

The Bruins need a top 6 wing. Some say trade Marchand for one... I was always under the impression that 63 was a top 6 wing. Trading him for another wing really doesn't solve anything, does it? OK, he had a crappy playoffs but so did Krecji, right?

Looking around the league, I think they're a few trades that could make sense for both sides and the Jets are one of them... I think something around a guy like Kane could work. I also think something around a guy like Hodgson, Pominville, or Okposo could work for the Bruins (help us with our cap situation, address a weakness, not cripple our center position and work for the other team.

I'll ask the hypothetical question again (seeing as you never answered it) - is this team

Marchand - Bergeron - Kane (or Hodgson, Etc)
Lucic - Soderberg - Smith
Kelly - Spooner - Eriksson
Pie - Soup - Baby B

better than this team

Looch - DK - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergy - Smith
Kelly - Soda - Frazier
Pie - Soup - Baby B

Loosing DK would suck, but I think the top team would give the Bruins 3 very good lines, it would give them some cap relief and the ability to sign Smith & Krug (and the ability to keep Boychuck) and in my humble opinion, would be a better team than the one on the bottom...

If you don't think so, hey that's fine with me, but you saying a DK / EK trade would be so bad that you can't even come up with an analogy? Well that's just a ridiculous statement (especially coming from a guy who advocated a Krejci, Spooner, Koko, Subban & a 1st for Ryan Johanson trade).

You think going from DK to Soderberg is a huge downgrade and that's fine, but I honestly don't. Once Soda was moved to center, I thought he was one of our better players...

Another question... Both DK & Soda are UFA's at the end of next season. Signing them both will cost the B's another 6ish million (and doesn't account for the large raises that Boychuck & Hamilton will need). We don't know how much the cap will go up next year, but you've got to assume that you can't keep everyone. Do you keep DK (@ 7.5/8 for 5 years) and loose Boychuk & Soda or loose Krecji and keep Soderberg (@ 4.5/5 for 3 years) as well as Boychuck and Hamilton... Honestly, what would you do?

Oh, and not to get side tracked, but people who say we can't get rid of DK because he's a proven playoff performer... The guy's been in playoffs with the Bruins 6 times... He was great in 2 of those years, good in 1, ok in 1 and terrible in 2 (this past year and vs Caps). I think that makes him a pretty normal player, with some good years and some bad years, doesn't it?

Sorry for the long post (to much coffee). Happy 4th to all!!!

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
This isn't a hard equation. Bottom line is that we can't keep everyone. It's either move DK and keep Soda and Boychuck or the other way around. I don't see how Chia gets DK for under 7m and Boychuck gets 5 easy based on today's prices. In fact if Soda has a 55-60 point year he could get a team willing to go 6m. So it boils down to not who they think is the best player (because DK wins that) but who you can get several assets in return and allow you to be proactive in signing guys to extensions sooner rather than later.

I think the first thing that needs to be determined is can we get the centers signed if we trade 55. If so then that is great by I am not sure it's realistic.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Odds are that Krejci will be resigned because Chiarelli has given every indication that's what he wants to do, where do we go from there? If I were going to predict the offseason next year, I think Boychuck goes somewhere for big money as well as Soderberg. Spooner will then have the 3rd line center spot locked up granted he shows that he can handle that role.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
This isn't a hard equation. Bottom line is that we can't keep everyone. It's either move DK and keep Soda and Boychuck or the other way around. I don't see how Chia gets DK for under 7m and Boychuck gets 5 easy based on today's prices. In fact if Soda has a 55-60 point year he could get a team willing to go 6m. So it boils down to not who they think is the best player (because DK wins that) but who you can get several assets in return and allow you to be proactive in signing guys to extensions sooner rather than later.

I think the first thing that needs to be determined is can we get the centers signed if we trade 55. If so then that is great by I am not sure it's realistic.

If Soderberg wants 6M then you trade him and keep DK at 7M. I personally think that's a no brainer.

I think you can get DK on a deal similar to Bergeron's and probably get Soderberg on a shorter term-shorter money deal around 4-5M per year. 6M is just too much for him, especially if you can keep DK for 7 or less.

At some point you're going to need to make some difficult decisions, but I think it's best to get these guys signed and then trade them if need be. Guys like DK, Soderberg and Boychuk are easily traded.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
If Soderberg wants 6M then you trade him and keep DK at 7M. I personally think that's a no brainer.

I think you can get DK on a deal similar to Bergeron's and probably get Soderberg on a shorter term-shorter money deal around 4-5M per year. 6M is just too much for him, especially if you can keep DK for 7 or less.

At some point you're going to need to make some difficult decisions, but I think it's best to get these guys signed and then trade them if need be. Guys like DK, Soderberg and Boychuk are easily traded.

I don't think it is about what Soda wants it's more what he will get on the open market if he has another strong year. So my point was let's get him locked up sooner rather than later.

The other X factor is Dougie who will likely get in the 4m range.

Someone won't be here. We just need to maximize the return soon.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Odds are that Krejci will be resigned because Chiarelli has given every indication that's what he wants to do, where do we go from there? If I were going to predict the offseason next year, I think Boychuck goes somewhere for big money as well as Soderberg. Spooner will then have the 3rd line center spot locked up granted he shows that he can handle that role.

You're probably right. That is the likely scenario. The trouble is the wings still aren't good enough, and the defense has potential issues.

Plus, you slide in Spooner, a skilled center, and you're going to put crap on both of his sides. Essentially you're looking at two 4th lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad