Time to get rid of Wellwood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't get it........ Obviously Wellwood was a heathy scratch tonight against the lightning...ok this is what I don't get. One of the top teams in the league and they put scheifele in... What happened against one of the worst teams in the league (panthers?) Mind boggling decisions made here..... A game we need to win. No depth to this team.... And yes I am a season ticket holder who loves our Jets, just the decisions are unreal...!

You do realize that "one of the worst" teams did win our division last year beating out TB and WAS? Maybe this is part of the problem. People are taking the wrong teams for granted.

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
You do realize that "one of the worst" teams did win our division last year beating out TB and WAS? Maybe this is part of the problem. People are taking the wrong teams for granted.

Ok, Im talking about this year.... Tampa bay is one of the best teams in the league.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Ok, Im talking about this year.... Tampa bay is one of the best teams in the league.

in 6 games.

even if you pro rate that to an 82 game schedule last season thats what, 10 games?

For 10 games last year the Jets were one of the top 10 teams.

It's a little early to be declaring who's the best team in the league. Though RIGHT NOW tampa's one of the best teams in the league, that's correct.

lets take what happens in the first 5-10 games of the season with a grain of salt.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Wow are you picky. Criticizing someone who you acknowledge is correct.

just saying i dislike the framing of we lost/won against the best/worst team in the league.

standings don't mean a whole heck of alot in the first 10 games.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
in 6 games.

even if you pro rate that to an 82 game schedule last season thats what, 10 games?

For 10 games last year the Jets were one of the top 10 teams.

It's a little early to be declaring who's the best team in the league. Though RIGHT NOW tampa's one of the best teams in the league, that's correct.

lets take what happens in the first 5-10 games of the season with a grain of salt.
Yeah. We know nothing.

Edmonton started last season with 8 wins and 4 losses.

They surely weren't the best. :)

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
There's a point to be taken from either perspective. 8 games in or not, you can only beat what's in front of you, not what was 82 games behind you.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
There's a point to be taken from either perspective. 8 games in or not, you can only beat what's in front of you, not what was 82 games behind you.

fair enough, just a bad thing to attach weight to IMO.

They aren't the team they were last year, but that doesn't mean they're the team the standings say they are (best/worst) in 6 games.

Sometimes there's data in front of you that tells you nothing.

Referencing them as such is a good way to make yourself sick/jump to conclusions (we beat the "best" team last night= were the best, we lost to the "worst" team tonight= now we ar the worst).

I don't think management/coaches are looking at the standings and making their personnel decisions based off that at this point in time (dear god i would hope not). Half way through the season? You bet they'll rest big guys in "soft" games, etc, but at this point, I don't think that can factor into the equation.

You can't accommodate what you don't know.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
fair enough, just a bad thing to attach weight to IMO.

They aren't the team they were last year, but that doesn't mean they're the team the standings say they are (best/worst) in 6 games.

Sometimes there's data in front of you that tells you nothing.

Referencing them as such is a good way to make yourself sick/jump to conclusions (we beat the "best" team last night= were the best, we lost to the "worst" team tonight= now we ar the worst).

I don't think management/coaches are looking at the standings and making their personnel decisions based off that at this point in time (dear god i would hope not). Half way through the season? You bet they'll rest big guys in "soft" games, etc, but at this point, I don't think that can factor into the equation.

You can't accommodate what you don't know.

Also, most stats look like TBL will soon get kicked down...
*They have yet to outchance an opponent at 5v5
*Only one forward has actually outchanced their opponents (Stamkos)
*Almost all of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th line has been scoring on every 3rd-5th shot (very unsustainable)
*Every single player (save one) is well over 1000 for PDO (in comparison most of the Jets are in high 800s low 900s)
PDO is a measurement of luck by adding the team's sh% and sv% when a player is on the ice... in long term this number will eventually settle *around* 1000

Although it's very small sample size statistics point out the SE being (removing goalie stats, PP, and PK):
CAR

WPG
WSH
TBL
FLO

Last edited:

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
It's a little early to project but it does seem to me that our administration/coaching staff has no plans to waiver from it's strategy despite our win-loss record.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
It's a little early to project but it does seem to me that our administration/coaching staff has no plans to waiver from it's strategy despite our win-loss record.

Yet they've shown no reluctance to use waivers as part of their strategy. :naughty:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Also, most stats look like TBL will soon get kicked down...
*They have yet to outchance an opponent at 5v5
*Only one forward has actually outchanced their opponents (Stamkos)
*Almost all of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th line has been scoring on every 3rd-5th shot (very unsustainable)
*Every single player (save one) is well over 1000 for PDO (in comparison most of the Jets are in high 800s low 900s)
PDO is a measurement of luck by adding the team's sh% and sv% when a player is on the ice... in long term this number will eventually settle *around* 1000

Although it's very small sample size statistics point out the SE being (removing goalie stats, PP, and PK):
CAR

WPG
WSH
TBL
FLO

Could be interesting to see how they do in the post-season if that's the case. But Tampa has one of the deadliest PPs in the league and you'd think that'd be an advantage that good 5v5 teams' likely won't have. I'd bet a lot on them being the division winner this year.

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
I believe that the jets are matching up certain players to certain teams.....Example, Montoya against NYI. The would not put Montoya in against Pittsburg... It wasn't just a coincidence that NYI came into town and Pav needed a break. The Jets did it last year, played Mason against Carolina, Panthers ect. Do you think Pittsburg played there back up cause they thought Winnipeg was weaker? My point is from my observation, as bad as it sounds, there is a disrespect factor when certains teams play each other.... If Vancouver played tonight in Winnipeg, you bet Schneider would be playing lol..

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Haven't had time to read the whole thread but 100% disagree with the cut Wellwood sentiment. I thought he had 1 bad game so far that he played. In a few games (after the 1st benching) he played really well. He's got the best passing and vision of anyone on the team and despite his size and lack of athletic ability somehow wins battles in the corners. For the price tag and versatility that he brings he's a great fit. Scheifele is gone after his next start and if we have any injuries we will need a player who can play on any line.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'd like to see them use Wellwood on the PP to help gain entry into the zone. He's one of the few players with enough awareness to skate the puck across the line, recognizing where the back pressure is, and cut to where the back pressure isn't. No need to always ring the puck around the boards or shoot it at the net when coming into the zone.

It's surprising that the PP is decent considering they have so much trouble gaining entry. I think it could be elite I they were better at that aspect.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'd like to see them use Wellwood on the PP to help gain entry into the zone. He's one of the few players with enough awareness to skate the puck across the line, recognizing where the back pressure is, and cut to where the back pressure isn't. No need to always ring the puck around the boards or shoot it at the net when coming into the zone.

It's surprising that the PP is decent considering they have so much trouble gaining entry. I think it could be elite I they were better at that aspect.

That's a lot to so with luck. With the amount of shots that the Jets actually take on goal during the pp...it has no right being at 23.whatever percent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad