Time to get rid of Wellwood

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
Enough is enough. This guy does not want to shoot a puck at the net. Why does he have a mental block that he is forbidden to shoot? He had an opportunity in last nights game, and it looks like he was stick handling in the crease trying to pass rather then fire the puck into the open net! I know he is a passer, but we need shots on goal! Wellwood needs to go!

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
Wellwood has earned his spot on this team with his play last year and to write him off after him having played 5 games seems a bit premature.
The open net play you speak of was far from a gimme and the Mtl dman made a heck of a play to save the goal.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Enough is enough. This guy does not want to shoot a puck at the net. Why does he have a mental block that he is forbidden to shoot? He had an opportunity in last nights game, and it looks like he was stick handling in the crease trying to pass rather then fire the puck into the open net! I know he is a passer, but we need shots on goal! Wellwood needs to go!

Yeah, sure, but while we are at it, let's get rid of Antropov (4 SOG total this season), Ponikorovsky (5 SOG total) and bench Wheeler, who is only averaging 1.5 shots per game on the top line.
I assume you know that Wellwood was our 5th leading scorer last year and the only thing lower than his SOG was his salary.
Welly is not producing any better or worse this year than his line mates. It'll come.

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
[MOD]

Well, im very critical of bad play. He has not contributed, in fact was benched for a game, but Noel won't call it that lol, he clearly is not in game shape, and history with him shows that he just likes to pass. Sure he is accurate, but when we have 10 shots on goal through 2 periods, no more fancy passes, throw the puck on net, hope for a buff shot to go in or a rebound. Sorry for being a realist. Guess being a Newby, I know nothing, but everyone here was new at one point, does that mean they know nothing also?? HMM

Last edited by a moderator:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kyle Wellwood will lose his roster spot as soon as Mark Scheifele is NHL ready. I believe part of the reason we signed him was to allow Scheifele an opportunity to fully develop instead of rushing him. As we have seen so far the Winnipeg Jets are NOT rushing anyone they have drafted after the mistakes the Atlanta Thrashers made rushing EVERYONE they drafted in the 1st round.

No Name Poster

Maurice Navidad
Oct 29, 2011
The Peg
:
Kyle Wellwood will lose his roster spot as soon as Mark Scheifele is NHL ready. I believe part of the reason we signed him was to allow Scheifele an opportunity to fully develop instead of rushing him. As we have seen so far the Winnipeg Jets are NOT rushing anyone they have drafted after the mistakes the Atlanta Thrashers made rushing EVERYONE they drafted in the 1st round.

Wellwood is a winger though. I think Jokinen was signed for this reason more than Welly. Kyle was signed because he is hockey's version of a utility player in baseball who can slot in nearly anywhere and be serviceable. Right now our depth is fairly thin up front at least until Mittens comes back

edit: apparently Welly is a Centre after all. Shows how much I know :help:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

The Jets approach having Scheff sit in the press box is brilliant, watching the team night in and night out will really sharpen his play and improve his skating!:sarcasm:

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
I assume Scheff will play against the Panthers as it is a weaker team, but if history repeats itself, we played well against tough teams and played poorly against weak teams. It is no slam dunk to take 2 points off of the Panthers. Now watch Wellwood prove me wrong and score! I hope so!:yo:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I agree this thread is premature, but I will say that I haven't been that impressed with Wellwood's play this year. Some nice passes here and there, but also stretches where he seems to disappear. Seems to go through funks like this, but then he'll have stretches where you think "darn, I love having Wellwood on our team, what a creative player". Give him time.

:

Wellwood is a winger though. I think Jokinen was signed for this reason more than Welly. Kyle was signed because he is hockey's version of a utility player in baseball who can slot in nearly anywhere and be serviceable. Right now our depth is fairly thin up front at least until Mittens comes back

edit: apparently Welly is a Centre after all. Shows how much I know :help:

He's barely played as a C with the Jets. I recall a couple of stretches last year where he was slotted there, but he's mostly been used on the wing.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
The Jets approach having Scheff sit in the press box is brilliant, watching the team night in and night out will really sharpen his play and improve his skating!:sarcasm:

It's not as dumb an idea as you may think. As I mentioned in another thread, if the plan is just to keep him for the 5 games, then spreading them out over a few weeks makes sense. Scheif will get the same total game TOI, but will be able to practice, get NHL coaching and bond with the big boys in the interim. The Colts apparently have a slow schedule right now, so he can go back and finish the season/playoffs with them when it counts.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not as dumb an idea as you may think. As I mentioned in another thread, if the plan is just to keep him for the 5 games, then spreading them out over a few weeks makes sense. Scheif will get the same total game TOI, but will be able to practice, get NHL coaching and bond with the big boys in the interim. The Colts apparently have a slow schedule right now, so he can go back and finish the season/playoffs with them when it counts.

I've considered this and I think it's a smart course of action.
Allow him as much time as possible with the big club to learn and practice with men, while still leaving time for him to play meaningful games with Barrie.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, im very critical of bad play. He has not contributed, in fact was benched for a game, but Noel won't call it that lol, he clearly is not in game shape, and history with him shows that he just likes to pass. Sure he is accurate, but when we have 10 shots on goal through 2 periods, no more fancy passes, throw the puck on net, hope for a buff shot to go in or a rebound. Sorry for being a realist. Guess being a Newby, I know nothing, but everyone here was new at one point, does that mean they know nothing also?? HMM

Don't let it get you down bro, HF is a nasty place. Believe me though if you stick around and take the heat initially for what you say, and still stick around you'll know a lot more about hockey that watching TSN could ever give you.

That said i completely disagree with the OP [mod]

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Don't let it get you down bro, HF is a nasty place. Believe me though if you stick around and take the heat initially for what you say, and still stick around you'll know a lot more about hockey that watching TSN could ever give you.

That said i completely disagree with the OP[mod]

merely pointing out that the first two posts from this account were pretty blatant "OMG the team lost, ship out X Y and Z" posts. Or at least i've been jaded into percieving them as such.

Wellwood is what he is. I'm not a huge fan and he hasn't been lights out, but any call for trading/dropping a player within the first five games when he hasn't been absolutely terrible (as one Mr. Clitsome may be characterized) is hard to take seriously.

Wellwood's been Wellwood, and he's looked a little shaky, but he's hardly whats costing us games nor the sole reason for 10 shots in 2 periods, there's a lot more then welly that needs to be called out for that kind of play.

Which the OP has now done, and i appreciate, but the introductory post was a little lacking in constructive criticism and a little heavy on "sky is falling".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't been impressed with his play so far this year either. While he's good for a couple of good plays a gambut otherwise leaves a lot to be desired. With regards to last night, he looked slow and had a difficult time staying in the play. He also showed zero battle level, I can't even count on one hand the number of puck battles that he won..

Having said that, having depth is a good thing in case of injuries so I see zero reason to get rid of him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I haven't been impressed with his play so far this year either. While he's good for a couple of good plays a gambut otherwise leaves a lot to be desired. With regards to last night, he looked slow and had a difficult time staying in the play. He also showed zero battle level, I can't even count on one hand the number of puck battles that he won..

Having said that, having depth is a good thing in case of injuries so I see zero reason to get rid of him.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The good news is that he has fallen out of the top 6. It'll be interesting to see who wins out when Mittens is back, I think they'll be battling on a game-to-game basis for the 3rd line RW spot.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The good news is that he has fallen out of the top 6. It'll be interesting to see who wins out when Mittens is back, I think they'll be battling on a game-to-game basis for the 3rd line RW spot.

I agree. And both are likely gone next year, unless we re-sign them to deals below what they currently are being paid.

Never have been a fan of Welly's, for all the pp points he brings over the years, he lacks the speed and size to play the style the Jets seem to want to play. With all four lines.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA

Bang on. If I had the money to buy a billboard and put this post up at Portage and Main, I would. It's the most intelligent comment I've seen about Scheifele's role right now, and I wish more people could see this.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
If Scheifele makes the team (unlikely I know), I'd like to see Wellwood stay on the team but drop down to Thorburn and Slater's line. He's an upgrade on Wright/Peluso.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Antropov/Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov/Scheifele
Thorburn - Slater - Wellwood

That's assuming Scheifele makes the team. If not, replace him with Miettinen.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
If Scheifele makes the team (unlikely I know), I'd like to see Wellwood stay on the team but drop down to Thorburn and Slater's line. He's an upgrade on Wright/Peluso.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Antropov/Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov/Scheifele
Thorburn - Slater - Wellwood

That's assuming Scheifele makes the team. If not, replace him with Miettinen.

Wellwood would be so out of place playing with Thorbs and Slater.

Wright seems to have been a better fit.

I think this year is it for Wellwood on the Jets.

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
It's the most intelligent comment I've seen about Scheifele's role right now, and I wish more people could see this.

It sounds good but if they had it in mind from the beginning than why did he play the Jets first three games? Shouldn't his time have been spaced out a little more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad