Time to get rid of Wellwood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Not really, Postma is playing his #6 role. Clitsome is replacing Randy Jones as the #7. The Bogosian injury is what is forcing everybody to move up in roles.

Also, I don't think anybody "wanted" Oduya out. Most just realized that with his contract expiring, Jets not making playoffs, and the cost to re-sign versus role he would play (#6 versus 2-2.5million to re-up) that the best move was to trade him. Not a fit going forward. Not that we couldn't use him right now but it just wasn't going to work.

I'm still of the opinion that a Hainsey-Postma second pairing, Stuart-Redmond 3rd pairing is what we should go with, to help spread to minutes out...

I'd like that too, I just don't think Noel ever goes for it. He seems to like giving certain guys "roles" like how our second pairing is used mainly for shutting down the opposition.

This lineup would probably have him spread the offensive zone starts a bit more and I'm not sure he'd ever go for it. I would love to see him try, it would be hard for Redmond to be worse than Clitsome.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd like that too, I just don't think Noel ever goes for it. He seems to like giving certain guys "roles" like how our second pairing is used mainly for shutting down the opposition.

This lineup would probably have him spread the offensive zone starts a bit more and I'm not sure he'd ever go for it. I would love to see him try, it would be hard for Redmond to be worse than Clitsome.

Oh I know and agreed 100%. This is certainly one thing (among others) I really don't about like Noel. He is too set in his "roles", every pairing and line must fit a certain criteria it seems. Can't adapt to a changing roster. Needs to fit square pegs into round holes.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not really, Postma is playing his #6 role. Clitsome is replacing Randy Jones as the #7. The Bogosian injury is what is forcing everybody to move up in roles.

Also, I don't think anybody "wanted" Oduya out. Most just realized that with his contract expiring, Jets not making playoffs, and the cost to re-sign versus role he would play (#6 versus 2-2.5million to re-up) that the best move was to trade him. Not a fit going forward. Not that we couldn't use him right now but it just wasn't going to work.

I'm still of the opinion that a Hainsey-Postma second pairing, Stuart-Redmond 3rd pairing is what we should go with, to help spread to minutes out...

I was saying the exact same thing! If Ron can move over I want this to happen yesterday!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

we're going way off topic (my fault)... but :P

Hainsey + Postma did play 3 minutes together... maybe small sample size but the Jets did score a goal
:P
And in the one whoooole minute and a few seconds Postma has played with Stuart they outshot opponents 53/20mins : 12.5/20mins (I have no idea what ratio that is... probably like a 4-1)

Course this is small sample sizes :naughty:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I was saying the exact same thing! If Ron can move over I want this to happen yesterday!

Ron plays the left side when he's with Bogosian or Byfuglien... It's his natural side. He's just versatile so he is the one that plays the right side when he's with lefties (see his time with Enstrom, Oduya, and Stuart)
So yes he can :)

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ron plays the left side when he's with Bogosian or Byfuglien... It's his natural side. He's just versatile so he is the one that plays the right side when he's with lefties (see his time with Enstrom, Oduya, and Stuart)
So yes he can :)

I think its absolute stubbornness if they don't try this at least once. It's not like they have to call Redmond up. Clitsome hasn't been bad, he's been abysmal. He's lost us games.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
we're going way off topic (my fault)... but :P

Hainsey + Postma did play 3 minutes together... maybe small sample size but the Jets did score a goal
And in the one whoooole minute and a few seconds Postma has played with Stuart they outshot opponents 53/20mins : 12.5/20mins (I have no idea what ratio that is... probably like a 4-1)

Course this is small sample sizes :naughty:

I think Noel has used the Hainsey+Postma combo as the 2nd PP unit and as a pairing during 4-on-4 time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think its absolute stubbornness if they don't try this at least once. It's not like they have to call Redmond up. Clitsome hasn't been bad, he's been abysmal. He's lost us games.

strongly, strongly, strongly, strongly agree...

Look back a few posts... look how different those stats are...
Clitsome has spent ~57 mins with Postma and ~8 mins apart... The only way you get that much difference for that little time is when the skill levels are waaay different...

Arcticcat

Jan 10, 2013
I don't get it........ Obviously Wellwood was a heathy scratch tonight against the lightning...ok this is what I don't get. One of the top teams in the league and they put scheifele in... What happened against one of the worst teams in the league (panthers?) Mind boggling decisions made here..... A game we need to win. No depth to this team.... And yes I am a season ticket holder who loves our Jets, just the decisions are unreal...!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
U don't really think that Wellwood with his passion and hustle would have turned that thing around instead of the rookie mistakes and nervousness of Scheifele, right?

Not like that happend or sth....

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I actually NOTICED Sheifele yesterday, which can't be said for Wellwood so far this season.

I've noticed Wellwood intercepting passes almost every game. He also always seems around the net making pretty passes. Maybe you just need to watch more closely?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I've noticed Wellwood intercepting passes almost every game. He also always seems around the net making pretty passes. Maybe you just need to watch more closely?

Exactly...
Wellwood hasn't done that great in creating offense but has done superb job in intercepting passes and being in the right spot at the right time... because of this Wellwood is leading our team's forwards in possession stats and in out-chancing the opponent. He is being mildly sheltered though.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I always wondered what Jets fans thought of Wellie. In Toronto we were quite frustrated with him for the same reasons you are, not to mention his dad piping up in the media and trying to get involved with "how much his son should be playing".. then there was his horrible conditioning. Showing up to camp weighing I kid you not 245lbs.

Canuck fans then questioned if he was fat: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/01/19/kyle-wellwood-i-wasnt-fat-was-he/ .. look at that pic.... And he pulled a scotty gomez and scored like 1 goal all year for the nucks one season...

GET RID OF HIM... I don't know how he is even in the NHL..I can say this: I understand your frustrations with this hack of a player. I really do.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Exactly...
Wellwood hasn't done that great in creating offense but has done superb job in intercepting passes and being in the right spot at the right time... because of this Wellwood is leading our team's forwards in possession stats and in out-chancing the opponent. He is being mildly sheltered though.

does wellwood even work out? does he show up to camp? When he was a Leaf he would refuse to work out with the team in the off season and stayed in Windsor, ON which is about 4 to 5 hours west of Toronto..... what i'm getting at is: does he work on his game? or is he still lazy? Is intercepting passes all he really does?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
does wellwood even work out? does he show up to camp? When he was a Leaf he would refuse to work out with the team in the off season and stayed in Windsor, ON which is about 4 to 5 hours west of Toronto..... what i'm getting at is: does he work on his game? or is he still lazy? Is intercepting passes all he really does?

I'm not the biggest Wellwood fan (though I do love his hockey IQ) but to be fair: he did put up 47pts in a 2nd/3rd line role last year. Arguably, he came into this shortened training camp in better shape.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I always wondered what Jets fans thought of Wellie. In Toronto we were quite frustrated with him for the same reasons you are, not to mention his dad piping up in the media and trying to get involved with "how much his son should be playing".. then there was his horrible conditioning. Showing up to camp weighing I kid you not 245lbs.

Canuck fans then questioned if he was fat: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/01/19/kyle-wellwood-i-wasnt-fat-was-he/ .. look at that pic.... And he pulled a scotty gomez and scored like 1 goal all year for the nucks one season...

GET RID OF HIM... I don't know how he is even in the NHL..I can say this: I understand your frustrations with this hack of a player. I really do.

Well we didn't have a camp this year but he did show up early.
During the offseason he did openly say in an interview that:
*coach wanted to use him more but he wasn't able to due to his stamina/conditioning
*he wanted to change that and was working hard in the off-season with his brother

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't get it........ Obviously Wellwood was a heathy scratch tonight against the lightning...ok this is what I don't get. One of the top teams in the league and they put scheifele in... What happened against one of the worst teams in the league (panthers?) Mind boggling decisions made here..... A game we need to win. No depth to this team.... And yes I am a season ticket holder who loves our Jets, just the decisions are unreal...!

thats only one way of looking at it.

what if we frame it this way.

After 2 flat games, the coach decided to shake up the roster and see if a younger player can bring some spark or energy to the lineup?

1 bad game = give em a chance to work it out
2 bad games = its not working, switch it up

not that outlandish....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad