Time to get rid of Wellwood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
I think Wellwood's hockey IQ saves him. One example from last night, believe it was in the 3rd (we were going from left to right), we desperately needed a change, Welly carried the puck out and approached centre ice. 99% of players would've driven the puck in without thinking but he kept cool and carried the puck in along the boards, delaying long enough for help to arrive and we managed to get a forecheck going. The type of highlight I'd expect Don Cherry to show :laugh: The guy is very good in terms of not turning the puck over, being in good position, and never taking penalties. It would be hard to convince me we currently have 12 healthy forwards better than him at the cost.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am not sure why everyone has forgotten that we don't talk about other posters here.

It is not allowed. It is against HF code of conduct. Posters habits, posting styles, intelligence, length of time on the boards -- it's all off limits. Always has been.

We are here to discuss the topics put forth in the threads. That's it. Players, teams, media, the city.

Talking about other posters is not allowed. Hopefully this is more clear now. Warnings, infractions and threadbans to follow.

Thank you and continue.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
On Wellwoods deke last night I thought it was an awesome play. Price was on his side a foot in front of Welly. Extremely hard to lift the puck enough to score. Wellwood then tried to deke around him and did. If Gorges was half second later poke checking him Welly had the goal. He really showed his hands off.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
On Wellwoods deke last night I thought it was an awesome play. Price was on his side a foot in front of Welly. Extremely hard to lift the puck enough to score. Wellwood then tried to deke around him and did. If Gorges was half second later poke checking him Welly had the goal. He really showed his hands off.

I thought so as well. He wasn't going to score just by shooting at that moment. He really opened Price up.

It's just too bad Gorges made a great play.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

One thing that some seem to forget: he MADE that play happen by intercepting the pass behind the net. Without that, we wouldn't be discussing his missed opportunity, which I see more as a great desperation play by Gorges. He HAD Price, and WAS going to score, if Gorges didn't throw his body across the crease.

That said: I do think Welly had a pretty invisible game for the most part yesterday. I just don't see much fault on this play.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wellwood is a good player & I would not get rid of him.
When he starts getting points it will be in bunches.

He is proven & got us 47 points last year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It sounds good but if they had it in mind from the beginning than why did he play the Jets first three games? Shouldn't his time have been spaced out a little more?

Who knows for sure, but one can always speculate. Methinks that they may given Scheif a chance in games 1-3 to surprise and prove beyond a doubt that he belonged for the whole season (Plan B).When that wasn't the case, they reverted to Plan A.
One of the things that has impressed me about the Jets management this year is that they appear to be willing to change their lines and lineup in response to performance on the ice, rather than sticking with a fixed plan. So, to bring this back to Wellwood and the OP, I am sure you will see him demoted if there is a better alternative...but, thus far, there is no convincing evidence of that.
PS-If they keep playing Clitsome, I reserve the right to retract all the nice things I said about them.:)

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Let's save the tossing players and coaches off the team willy-nilly for the post game call in shows, shall we? This guy's gotta go, that guy's gotta go ...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Im okay with Welly but as my buddy told me at the last Jets game Im probably the only guy in the rink that thinks Welly and Antro are decent players for this season, Im okay with being the only guy who thinks that. And for what its worth, I saw the replay on that play and if Welly would have shot Price was in position to make the save.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
With a healthy lineup I look at Wellwood and see a guy who can barely skate and plays softer than my pillow.

But as soon as a top six forward gets injured, I'm grateful he's on our team as depth to admirably fill that role.

Unsung hero for that reason, and that I think we're lucky to have.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
May need to stop panicking. We're doing well and got a good start to the season. I'd be nice if we got another W in Miami and a tie in TB. We'd remain in the hunt.

I will forecast that if we slide, expect a trade. We have a lot of centres .... and teams like VCR are likely calling

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Welly will be fine.

Last game he was a little invisible but so were the majority of our forwards. However the game before that he was feeding his teammates more than his stomach at a Mandarin.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Im okay with Welly but as my buddy told me at the last Jets game Im probably the only guy in the rink that thinks Welly and Antro are decent players for this season, Im okay with being the only guy who thinks that. And for what its worth, I saw the replay on that play and if Welly would have shot Price was in position to make the save.

You can tell your buddy he is completely wrong...plenty of people realize the immense value Antropov brings to the table...:yo:

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
We could do a lot worse than Wellwood as a 3rd line right winger. Be careful what you wish for. Remember how last year everyone wanted Oduya out of town. Now we have Clitsome playing in his spot.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We could do a lot worse than Wellwood as a 3rd line right winger. Be careful what you wish for. Remember how last year everyone wanted Oduya out of town. Now we have Clitsome playing in his spot.

Not really, Postma is playing his #6 role. Clitsome is replacing Randy Jones as the #7. The Bogosian injury is what is forcing everybody to move up in roles.

Also, I don't think anybody "wanted" Oduya out. Most just realized that with his contract expiring, Jets not making playoffs, and the cost to re-sign versus role he would play (#6 versus 2-2.5million to re-up) that the best move was to trade him. Not a fit going forward. Not that we couldn't use him right now but it just wasn't going to work.

I'm still of the opinion that a Hainsey-Postma second pairing, Stuart-Redmond 3rd pairing is what we should go with, to help spread to minutes out...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not really, Postma is playing his #6 role. Clitsome is replacing Randy Jones as the #7. The Bogosian injury is what is forcing everybody to move up in roles.

Also, I don't think anybody "wanted" Oduya out. Most just realized that with his contract expiring, Jets not making playoffs, and the cost to re-sign versus role he would play (#6 versus 2-2.5million to re-up) that the best move was to trade him. Not a fit going forward. Not that we couldn't use him right now but it just wasn't going to work.

I'm still of the opinion that a Hainsey-Postma second pairing, Stuart-Redmond 3rd pairing is what we should go with, to help spread to minutes out...

I would like that too. Postma has shown some solid progression and is actually doing really well for having a guy like Clitsome on his side. It's amazing how different their stats are with only EIGHT minutes of icetime apart... I just don't think Noel will because he tends to not trust rookies... *sigh*

Look for yourself (I placed this in my stats thread):

Keep in mind that the top 4 minutes have been waywaywaywayway tougher than the bottom pair minutes....
Here we are in order of minutes...
Name | RelQoC | OZS | SA/60 | GA/60 | Corsi
Byfuglien | 1.616| 45.6| 29.6| 3.34| -01.90
Enstrom | 1.545| 47.2| 25.3| 2.63| 00.53
Hainsey | 0.327| 43.1| 33.4| 0.56| -20.05
Stuart | 0.662| 39.4| 34.6| 1.19| -21.46
Clitsome | -2.298| 63.6| 31.1| 5.33| 01.78
Postma | -2.555| 64.7| 25.6| 2.74| 13.71

Well... this makes me sad because it agrees with the eye test... Postma is doing SO much better than Clitsome... why is Noel giving (slightly) more time and (slightly) less sheltering to Clitsome... Clitsome is the weak player...
Clitsome should not be having shot/goal suppression numbers similar to Stuart and Hainsey who are buried in the Dzone...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad