Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Yes, When Sens got report before suspension announcement, Gary told team to stop negotiating.
Source for Gary telling team to stop negotiating?

Sure. They aren’t the only thing though. Plus Matthews is very streaky.
This is literally the first year where Matthews has been streaky. He was notorious for 1 and 2 goal games. He’s scored in more games than any other player since he’s entered the league. Somewhere around here I did the footwork of that and he had the most goals, with the least amount of hat tricks to the top 5 goal scorers annually. I think at the time I compared drai, pasta and ovechkin. All to say he is the least streaky goal scorer in the league, aside from a 21 game stretch this year.

Reactions: Voight

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Like I said at the start of this thread, I'm not sure there'll be much of a difference between these two, ignoring contracts.

Since the start of last year:
- Stutzle 97gp 44g 113p (37g 96p pace)
- Matthews 96gp 56g 110p (48g 94p pace)
- Ottawa 322 GF (3.19 GF/gp)
- Toronto 350 GF (3.37 GF/gp)
- Stutzle leads the Sens in scoring, 13 points ahead of Tkachuk
- Matthews is 3rd in Leafs scoring in that same span, 13 points behind Marner and 6 behind Nylander
- Stutzle has a point on 35% of sens goals
- Matthews has a point on 31% of leafs goal

Matthews certainly gets credit for being the better goal scorer, but he's also had the better supporting cast. If they were to swap teams I think there's a good chance Matthews' numbers drop a bit and Stutzle gets a lift.

All said, I think there's a pretty reasonable argument for them being pretty equivalent players since the start of last year. But based on their relative ages, I would take Stutzle over the next 8 years pretty easily, even if we ignore cap hits.

That cap space sure is coming in handy to help the sens be a competitive team.
Ottawa having a terrible coach doesn't disprove the value of cap space.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe if Matthews knew what an assist was the Leafs wouldn't have less regulation wins than the Sharks

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That cap space sure is coming in handy to help the sens be a competitive team.

Crazy how only 1 goal separates these teams (+1 vs +2)

Yet one has 12 wins and 10 losses and the other has 9 wins and 10 losses.

I wonder what accounts for the difference in the standings when their overall production has been very similar.

Maybe experience on the Leafs side to get those timely goals or saves to win the extra game or two?

The90

Feb 27, 2017

I wonder what accounts for the difference in the standings when their overall production has been very similar.

Maybe experience on the Leafs side to get those timely goals or saves to win the extra game or two?
I love how you make it seem like they’re remotely close in the standings here lol

Reactions: Voight

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I love how you make it seem like they’re remotely close in the standings here lol

What?

I'm literally asking why they're so far in the standings despite being close in production +1 vs +2.

It's literally the opposite of what you said. Try reading it again with proper reading comprehension.

I litterally said "I wonder what accounts for the difference in the standings when their overall production has been very similar."

And you respond with "you make it seem like they're remotely close in the standings"

I'm asking why a team is so different in the standings despite being so similar in overall production in the total season.

Then I went on to ask if it's due to experience of getting the production at the right time to maximize team points?

Do you have an answer or are you disagreeing with anything I said?

Very confused by the purpose of your post.

Like, what post did you read...

Reactions: Crow

Strangle

May 4, 2009
My little tidbit stat of the day

Since turning 21 y/o on January 15th 2023, only McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl, J. Hughes, Pastrnak, Makar, M.Tkachuk, Pettersson, Panarin and Kucherov have a better PPG than Tim Stutzle... so the 11th best PPG in the entire NHL since becoming a man...

This is a funny way of saying “for less than a full season, Stutzle isn’t top 10 in ppg”

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Quarter of the season, with a lot of hockey left mind you:

Matthews: 22 GP, 16 G 9 A 25 P

Stutzle: 19 GP, 5 G 18 A 23 P

It’s a lot closer than some are willing to admit.

Goals are more than twice as important as assists are.

If you’re starting a team, do you take the guy with 5 goals in 19 games, or do you take the guy with 16 in 22?

Matthews isn’t going to rack up assists, because he shouldn’t be passing the puck. He should be shooting it. Someone with a worse shot can pass him the puck, there aren’t many people in the league Matthews should ever choose to take a shot over himself.

That’s like asking why Ovechkin doesn’t have 80 assists per year. Like, use your head

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Matthews has a 17.2% shooting percentage, which is a couple points above his career average.

Stutzle has a 8.2% shooting percentage, a full 5% below his average, as he can't buy a goal right now.

That's part of what is driving the disparity in goals, but obviously Matthews will always be the better goal scorer.

I suspect their shooting percentages to normalize as the season goes on, but I also expect Matthews to start racking up more assists and I would be surprised if he didn't end up outproducing Stutzle by the end of the year.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Is there a point somewhere in that quote.

I doubt you would understand it.

But yes, the point is that there was no point in saying ‘since he became a man, there are only this big list of players with a better PPG’

What is the point of trying to make … that point?

Matthews has a 17.2% shooting percentage, which is a couple points above his career average.

Stutzle has a 8.2% shooting percentage, a full 5% below his average, as he can't buy a goal right now.

That's part of what is driving the disparity in goals, but obviously Matthews will always be the better goal scorer.

I suspect their shooting percentages to normalize as the season goes on, but I also expect Matthews to start racking up more assists and I would be surprised if he didn't end up outproducing Stutzle by the end of the year.

There’s no reason to think Matthews will become an assist machine.

He’s not passing to Marner to score too many goals. Marner passes to Matthews. Marner’s shot is nowhere near Matthews. You want Matthews shooting

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Goals are more than twice as important as assists are.

If you’re starting a team, do you take the guy with 5 goals in 19 games, or do you take the guy with 16 in 22?

Matthews isn’t going to rack up assists, because he shouldn’t be passing the puck. He should be shooting it. Someone with a worse shot can pass him the puck, there aren’t many people in the league Matthews should ever choose to take a shot over himself.

That’s like asking why Ovechkin doesn’t have 80 assists per year. Like, use your head
I guess Ovechkin was better than Crosby all along? Maybe Cheechoo should have won the MVP in 2006...

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I guess Ovechkin was better than Crosby all along? Maybe Cheechoo should have won the MVP in 2006...

You know Matthews is a great two-way player, right?

Because he’s got the best shot on the ice, doesn’t make him 1-dimensional. It’s just a decision, if you’re the coach are you asking Matthews to pass it off or are you yelling at him to shoot?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I doubt you would understand it.

But yes, the point is that there was no point in saying ‘since he became a man, there are only this big list of players with a better PPG’

What is the point of trying to make … that point?

Seems obvious, the point is he has become one of the better producers in the league at a young age.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Because he’s got the best shot on the ice, doesn’t make him 1-dimensional. It’s just a decision, if you’re the coach are you asking Matthews to pass it off or are you yelling at him to shoot?
You said: "Goals are more than twice as important as assists"

That's a laughable assertion.

• Haha
Reactions: SNES and Xspyrit

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017

The rookie goalie?? You have Claude giroux on your team. He has experience. Your captain is in his sixth season. Or I suppose you were supposed to use that cap space to BETTER your team!!!!!!

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You said: "Goals are more than twice as important as assists"

That's a laughable assertion.

I’d say you had a point if there wasn’t a lot of really useless assists that people end up racking up.

Some assists are worthy, but not all. Every goal is worthy.

If you think assists carry the same weight as goals, let me put it this way. Many goals award two assists on the play. A primary and a secondary assist.

1 goal with 2 assists.

Twice as important, or if you look at it this way, assists are half as valuable.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I’d say you had a point if there wasn’t a lot of really useless assists that people end up racking up.

Some assists are worthy, but not all. Every goal is worthy.

If you think assists carry the same weight as goals, let me put it this way. Many goals award two assists on the play. A primary and a secondary assist.

1 goal with 2 assists.

Twice as important, or if you look at it this way, assists are half as valuable.
What happened to "more than twice as valuable"?

There aren't 2 assists on every goal, and there are plenty of tap in goals that are setup by great passes. Goals that my daughter could score.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

No he isn’t

Reactions: Sens9292
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad