Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
About the same relevance of taking a career low vs career high comparison.
You think last year was Matthews career low? It's his 3rd best season in terms of PPG lol. Honestly you're giving leaf fans a bad name with nonsense like that.

If you can use Stutzle’s career high, why not include the previous 82 that includes Matthews’? Don’t answer that, we know the answer already.
Because Stutzle has only played 3 seasons, and he was a teenager for 2 of them. Lol "career high". I can't believe I have to explain this to you. Well, actually I can believe it, considering how laughably inaccurate the first sentence of your post was.

How about we use each of their 3rd worst seasons?

Matthews 68gp 37g 73p
Stutzle 78gp 39g 90p

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You think last year was Matthews career low? It's his 3rd best season in terms of PPG lol. Honestly you're giving leaf fans a bad name with nonsense like that.

Because Stutzle has only played 3 seasons, and he was a teenager for 2 of them. Lol "career high". I can't believe I have to explain this to you. Well, actually I can believe it, considering how laughably inaccurate the first sentence of your post was.

How about we use each of their 3rd worst seasons?

Matthews 68gp 37g 73p
Stutzle 78gp 39g 90p
Such disingenuous nonsense lol

I’m not concerned whatsoever that you have an agenda you’re pushing. Matthews is the significantly better player and that’s good enough for me. I’d you need to twist and turn and argument that much to make yourself feel better you go right ahead.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Such disingenuous nonsense lol
You claimed last season was Matthews' career low, and you claim I'm being disingenuous?
I’m not concerned whatsoever that you have an agenda you’re pushing.
What possible agenda could I have? I've been a huge Matthews fan way back before he was drafted. It's awesome having elite American centers in the league.

Matthews is the significantly better player and that’s good enough for me. I’d you need to twist and turn and argument that much to make yourself feel better you go right ahead.
Stutzle was at least as good if not better at the same age and last year.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
All thread we have heard how Stutzle is going to eclipse or somehow is as good as AM (becasue AM had an off year) based stricytly on counting stats.
And? We're 10 games into the season, it could very well happen.

AM is the superior player and by quite a bit and I love Stutzle.

Most of the push of this thread is for obvious non hockey reasons.
I think Matthews is probably a bit better at this point, but it's very close.
As for the inference of Marner you should and do know better than that.
You don't think playing with Marner helps Matthews? The numbers suggest they both benefit a fair amount from playing with each other. His P/60 jumps from 2.96 to 3.20, and his ixG/60 jumps from 1.10 to 1.44 with Marner on the ice over the last 3 years. Obviously Matthews is terrific on his own but you can't discount the value of having a world class playmaker on your wing.

In Stutzles career so far he’s averaged 28 goals and 70 points per 82 games.

In Matthews’ career so far he’s averaged 52 goals and 93 points per 82 games.
Career averages are surely relevant to this discussion, good one.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Career averages are surely relevant to this discussion, good one.
Career averages are absolutely relevant. Not sure why you’re fighting so hard and jumping through so many hoops to try and prove your point that you think Stutzles better lol.

No disrespect to Stutzle he’s a fine player, but Matthews has averaged over 50 goals per 82 games in his career so far. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do. He’s also an elite 2 way centre.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Career averages are absolutely relevant. Not sure why you’re fighting so hard and jumping through so many hoops to try and prove your point that you think Stutzles better lol.

No disrespect to Stutzle he’s a fine player, but Matthews has averaged over 50 goals per 82 games in his career so far. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do. He’s also an elite 2 way centre.
Career averages aren't very relevant, because just because a player became good quicker, doesn't mean he's better now or in the future. It's a bad statistic to use.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Why have Auston Matthews when you can have Tim Stutzle and Drake Batherson?

200w.gif

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Career averages aren't very relevant, because just because a player became good quicker, doesn't mean he's better now or in the future. It's a bad statistic to use.

And just because a player scored more points in 1 season it doesn't mean they are better or even comparable.

Stuzle is god awful defensively as well which is ignored in this thread for whatever reason. Likely because the gap defensively between the two is as big as the goal scoring gap

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011

Whatever, you’ll all be arguing in circles. For me, I’m taking the clear cut better player regardless of cap savings. Most organizations waste the extra space anyway.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Please explain to me how Stutzle's production as a teenager is at all relevant to the player he is today

Last edited:
  • Haha

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
13 goals to 2 goals, lmao at "producing 40% more" like that's a proper way to frame their offensive value

Ok so goals and that's it? It decides everything I guess

Aight let's make stupid arguments

Brock Boeser + J.T. Miller duo is outscoring Auston Matthews 17 to 13 goals!

($6,650,000 + $8,000,000) = $14,650,000 vs $11,640,250

They only cost 26% more but produce 31% more!

Therefore, by this undisputable logic, we should rather have Miller + Boeser

Kucherov + Hagel who cost 11 M$ have scored 17 goals so far!

Konecny + Farabee who cost 10.5 M$ have scored 15 goals so far!

I have an even better one :

Frank Vatrano + Mason McTavish who cost $4,544,167 have scored 15 goals so far!

Therefore Vatrano + McTavish >>> Matthews

Last edited:
  • Haha

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Ok so goals and that's it? It decides everything I guess

Aight let's make stupid arguments

Brock Boeser + J.T. Miller duo is outscoring Auston Matthews 17 to 13 goals!

($6,650,000 + $8,000,000) = $14,650,000 vs $11,640,250

They only cost 26% more but produce 31% more!

Therefore, by this undisputable logic, we should rather have Miller + Boeser

Kucherov + Hagel who cost 11 M$ have scored 17 goals so far!

Konecny + Farabee who cost 10.5 M$ have scored 15 goals so far!

I have an even better one :

Frank Vatrano + Mason McTavish who cost $4,544,167 have scored 15 goals so far!

Therefore Vatrano + McTavish >>> Matthews

Are you okay? I never said goals are everything. Completely ignoring the goal scoring difference between Matthews and Stutzle when Matthews is the best goal scorer in the world is certainly a choice tho

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2 goals 11points in 10 games = 16.2 goals 90 points per 82.

Sure he’s improved the last couple years but he’s still nowhere near Matthews’ level. Once you bring in their two way abilities the gap widens.
Please explain to me how Stutzle's production as a teenager is at all relevant to the player he is today

• Haha

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
You can try and twist it any way you want, fact is Matthews is just a way more impactful player.

They both started at 19.

Stutzles first 220 games:

75 goals 188 points -49 40.1 F%

Matthews first 212 games:

112 goals 205 points +18 50.6 F%

This was all before Matthews exploded for multiple rockets and an MVP. Stutzle has a long way to go before he even enters the conversation. I’m not sure why you even care so much lol.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's broaden the sample to the start of last year:

88gp 41g 101p
86gp 53g 103p

How is it possible that the goal scorer has more goals than the playmaker?

I guess Caufield > Marner

Since Feb. 10th 2022 : 52 goals in 95 games for Caufield, 54 goals in 130 games for Marner

I mean, how bad a contract can be if you pay 10.9 M$ to get 2 more goals in 35 more games than the guy who makes 7.85 M$?

Yes if you "broaden the sample size" to make the vast majority of the sample Matthews down year when he was hurt, the numbers do look closer. But it seems like this year will be a lot closer to his 2nd and 1st place Hart seasons.

What if Stutzle was having a "down start of the season"? Would that argument work the other way or it's a one way street?

And it's not just Stutzle, it's pretty hard to perform in Ottawa considering coaching and management's context

Yeah but think about the cap savings, they’re giving Ottawa such a well rounded team with a ton of cap flexibility right now. If Stutzle made Matthews money they might be in a situation where they can’t afford to re-sign their RFAs or have to run a career backup as their stater to yet another mid-20s finish.

More useless arguments... I don't think this thread says "Please consider Pierre Dorion as the GM and DJ Smith as the coach"

What an argument.

Why stop moving the goal posts at 1 year though! Why not 2? 3? Their entire careers! Just think of how much we can misconstrue the numbers!

Why looking at last year would not be a good argument? Because Stutzle outscored Matthews by 27 pts at the same age?

About the same relevance of taking a career low vs career high comparison. If you can use Stutzle’s career high, why not include the previous 82 that includes Matthews’? Don’t answer that, we know the answer already.

Why even mention last year as Stutzle's "career high"? He was 20 years old...

Damn, you guys are really bad at making arguments

Last edited:
  • Haha

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In Stutzles career so far he’s averaged 28 goals and 70 points per 82 games.

In Matthews’ career so far he’s averaged 52 goals and 93 points per 82 games.

Matthews is 26 y/o, Stutzle is 21 y/o

Again, do any of you want to manufacture more of these ultra weak arguments?

Matthews averaged 43 goals and 79 points per 82 games up until age 22

The question now is how the hell did Matthews managed to get a 14.64 CAP % contract with that kind of production?

Stutzle's CAP % is only 10.12 and has averaged only 9 less pts before hitting 22 y/o

I think this highlights how bad Matthews contracts have been

Stupid arguments deserve stupid counter arguments

Wait, are you doubling down? :laugh:

Personally, I don't give a crap about the poll results, I'm just flabbergasted by these ridiculous arguments

Are you okay? I never said goals are everything. Completely ignoring the goal scoring difference between Matthews and Stutzle when Matthews is the best goal scorer in the world is certainly a choice tho

Well, I'll quote you initially quoting me "13 goals to 2 goals, lmao at "producing 40% more" like that's a proper way to frame their offensive value"

Yes, your whole argument was related to goals.

And do you have a quote where anyone hinted that we should and I quote "completely ignoring the goal scoring difference"???

Finally, since last year :

Pastrnak 0.74 GPG
McDavid 0.73 GPG
Rantanen 0.68 GPG
Draisaitl 0.63 GPG
Matthews 0.62 GPG

Matthews have a very hot start of the season but he has a bit of work still to reclaim the "best goal scorer in the world" title. Some other guys are good at it too.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Matthews is 26 y/o, Stutzle is 21 y/o

Again, do any of you want to manufacture more of these ultra weak arguments?

Matthews averaged 43 goals and 79 points per 82 games up until age 22

The question now is how the hell did Matthews managed to get a 14.64 CAP % contract with that kind of production?

Stutzle's CAP % is only 10.12 and has averaged only 9 less pts before hitting 22 y/o

I think this highlights how bad Matthews contracts have been

Stupid arguments deserve stupid counter arguments

Wait, are you doubling down? :laugh:

Personally, I don't give a crap about the poll results, I'm just flabbergasted by these ridiculous arguments

Well, I'll quote you initially quoting me "13 goals to 2 goals, lmao at "producing 40% more" like that's a proper way to frame their offensive value"

Yes, your whole argument was related to goals.

And do you have a quote where anyone hinted that we should and I quote "completely ignoring the goal scoring difference"???

Finally, since last year :

Pastrnak 0.74 GPG
McDavid 0.73 GPG
Rantanen 0.68 GPG
Draisaitl 0.63 GPG
Matthews 0.62 GPG

Matthews have a very hot start of the season but he has a bit of work still to reclaim the "best goal scorer in the world" title. Some other guys are good at it too.
Not responding after this because there’s no point talking to a wall. I absolutely am doubling down because even though Matthews has the more expensive contract, he’s a WAY better player than Stutzle and will very likely be at any point in their careers once they’re both done playing. In 20+ years non one will care about Stutzle+(Korpisalo/x player) = Matthews in cap space.

Reactions: Strangle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad