Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Alot of people are overlooking the fact that Stutzle has EIGHT years left at this already amazing AAV. Matthews has 5 years left. What's going to be Matthews' AAV for Stutzle's final 3 years? $15m?
i think most people already factored in matthews shorter contract and his greed. if he had an 8x13.25 i think this poll would be a lot closer.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's always crazy to see how many people think 5 million in cap space automatically turns into Alex Tuch and not Nikita Zaitsev.

I just looked through the players with a ~5 million dollar cap hit, and there are very few I'd take with Stutzle over Matthews.

That’s one way of looking at it. But you could also frame it as half (or more) of the cap space needed for another $8m or $10m star, instead of all of the cap space needed for an aggressively mid player.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's always crazy to see how many people think 5 million in cap space automatically turns into Alex Tuch and not Nikita Zaitsev.

I just looked through the players with a ~5 million dollar cap hit, and there are very few I'd take with Stutzle over Matthews.
Or you could also look at the players in that ball park on the Sens.
Batherson, Chychurn, and Tarasenko.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I’ll take the better player. When you have to add ‘contracts included’, the square peg you’re trying to shove into a round hole, is still a square peg.

Unlike smaller and less desirable teams/ cities (like Edmonton), the leafs get to offset his cap hit by having depth players actually wanting to play in their city and taking discounts and ‘prove it’ contracts to do that and fill out depth positions. For this reason, the leafs have been able to put up 110+ point seasons without having to play their stars for 28 minutes a night and full 2 minute powerplays because behind them, their depth is trash.
Why do most of the Leafs depth players leave after being signed as UFA's?

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I will take the guy with 2 rockets, a hart trophy, a Ted Lindsay trophy, the rookie of the year, ans has played playoff games.

Over the guy that's done none of those things.

There is no legitimate argument here.
You could look at it this way.

One guy has done all of that and has been a ghost come big playoff crunch time and is getting up in age and is somehow the highest paid player in the NHL coming off of a 40sh goal and 85 point campaign. We have seen what he is. Can't get the job done. Pace goes down come playoff time.

Also can't really be trusted to play a full season so he is basically around a 40 goal scorer. Pace does not matter.

The other guy is very very young and has big upside and can outproduce at a much lower cap hit.

Reactions: Crow

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

One guy has done all of that and has been a ghost come big playoff crunch time and is getting up in age and is somehow the highest paid player in the NHL coming off of a 40sh goal and 85 point campaign. We have seen what he is. Can't get the job done. Pace goes down come playoff time.

The other guy is very very young and has big upside and can outproduce at a much lower cap hit.

Stutzle may never see the playoffs for the length of his contract. His team can't get it done when it matters either.

As for outproducing Matthews, he's done it once.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Stutzle may never see the playoffs for the length of his contract. His team can't get it done when it matters either.

Stutzle is 21 and has 2 seasons. Matthews is 27. How many times did you expect him to outproduce Matthews?
As for playoffs, one guy has disappointed so far and the other guy hasn’t had a chance in his first 2 years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Or you could say he's done it every year that he hasn't started as a teenager.

Reactions: MD93

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

%D0%B0%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%85.gif

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
sorry but cap hit be dammed, I want the BEST player and thats Matthews, not only will he out point Tim, he is better defensively and a center. Hell when Tim does take draws he went 41% lol
What's his plus/minus in his playoff career? When the games get tougher and tighter?

I will tell ya lol

He lets in as many as he scores.

That sure is elite defensively though

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Also can't really be trusted to play a full season so he is basically around a 40 goal scorer. Pace does not matter.

Getting up in age? He's 26

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

His age is fine.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Why do most of the Leafs depth players leave after being signed as UFA's?
Because they make more than the leafs can pay them elsewhere?

They pump up their stock and take a:
Justin Holl 3x3
Ilya mikheyev 4?x 4.8
Jack Campbell 5 x 5

Type deal after playing on good teams in Toronto and being constantly talked about by media and other fan bases. Look at Luke Schenn. If he stays in Vancouver for the rest of the year, you think he’s getting 2.75 million a year on a multi year contract just on the Canucks? You might not like the real answer but it is reality. The leafs helped with exposing how well he played because they draw attention to their players.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Because they make more than the leafs can pay them elsewhere?

They pump up their stock and take a:
Justin Holl 3x3
Ilya mikheyev 4?x 4.8
Jack Campbell 5 x 5

Type deal after playing on good teams in Toronto and being constantly talked about by media and other fan bases. Look at Luke Schenn. If he stays in Vancouver for the rest of the year, you think he’s getting 2.75 million a year on a multi year contract just on the Canucks? You might not like the real answer but it is reality. The leafs helped with exposing how well he played because they draw attention to their players.

Good point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That’s one way of looking at it. But you could also frame it as half (or more) of the cap space needed for another $8m or $10m star, instead of all of the cap space needed for an aggressively mid player.
Yeah, I think too often people look at the extra cap space as though that's the ONLY way that money is spent. They forget that that extra cap space can go toward upgrading an existing player (ie. a $3 million player into a $8 million player with $5 million in additional cap space available).

Reactions: dirtydanglez

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I voted Stutzle because I think there's a solid chance that Matthews walks in 4 years, but I feel like Matthews is underrated here.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
So stuzle + Jack Campbell or Matthews?

I’ll take Matthews

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So stuzle + Jack Campbell or Matthews?

I’ll take Matthews
Spending $5M on Jack Campbell is the type of decision I'd expect someone who takes Matthews and his contract over Stutzle, so I guess this tracks.

Maybe it's more like Stutzle + Slavin vs Matthews.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad