Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ho hum another 4 point game for Stützle.

Didn't get to watch but seems he wasn't really dominant?

As someone mentioned, his game picks up as the season goes on. Wonder how he will fare once we make the playoffs. Hopefully finds yet another gear!

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Ho hum another 4 point game for Stützle.

Didn't get to watch but seems he wasn't really dominant?

As someone mentioned, his game picks up as the season goes on. Wonder how he will fare once we make the playoffs. Hopefully finds yet another gear!
His game picks up when he’s playing SJ …

Joking but yes, Stutzle has picked it up in the second half most years but that usually coincides with when we’re so far out of the playoffs that teams no longer care about our matches with them. Then we go on our patented fake run and people start getting excited once more.

Reactions: LiseL

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
His game picks up when he’s playing SJ …

Joking but yes, Stutzle has picked it up in the second half most years but that usually coincides with when we’re so far out of the playoffs that teams no longer care about our matches with them. Then we go on our patented fake run and people start getting excited once more.
Oh I am not getting excited. I want to see our play improve but our position in the standings stay where it is (more or less).

Just commenting on a 4 point night. It isn't even shocking anymore when he does it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh I am not getting excited. I want to see our play improve but our position in the standings stay where it is (more or less).

Just commenting on a 4 point night. It isn't even shocking anymore when he does it.

He did it with a lot of energy and style, which is almost as important as the points themselves.

Just seemed more like himself. Could also be the competition.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
He did it with a lot of energy and style, which is almost as important as the points themselves.

Just seemed more like himself. Could also be the competition.

The weak competition definitely gave him a bit more room.

He was moving his feet and making sharp passes all game. He is a very good facilitator when making space with his skating.

If he keeps things simple and starts getting a few more shots to the net the points will pile up.

Just needs to make sure he is tracking back hard, keeping his shifts short and minimize the backhand passes near the line in his own zone.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He blew the coverage on Vlasic’s first goal of the season, but he made up for it by being consistently dangerous the whole night.
In the NHL, sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other side. They're good too and can score nice goals.

That goal was laziness on our end. Chychrun bobbles at the blueline. Where's Vlasic at that point? How does noted speedster Vlasic end up alone in our end? We just can't give those up. It doesn't matter how many assists you get. You can't cheat effort

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In the NHL, sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other side. They're good too and can score nice goals.

That goal was laziness on our end. Chychrun bobbles at the blueline. Where's Vlasic at that point? How does noted speedster Vlasic end up alone in our end? We just can't give those up. It doesn't matter how many assists you get. You can't cheat effort
What's frustrating is he was right with Vlasic through the NZ, seemed to have picked him up but then just started coasting at the blue line and released him.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My biggest issue with Stützle this year has been the giveaways he's making while trying to do too much, but...

His sh% has absolutely tanked, 5.3% at 5v5 compared to 14.6 last year, 0% on the PP.... He's not getting the looks on the PP, but still, zero percent???
You can pretty much draw a direct line from his sh% on the PP to the overall PP success of the team. Norris and Tkachuk have 5G each on the PP, the rest of the roster has 13 combined. So that's 23 PPG total.

At this point in the season last year, they had 41 PPG combined and Stutzle had 6.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What's frustrating is he was right with Vlasic through the NZ, seemed to have picked him up but then just started coasting at the blue line and released him.
Absolutely. Tim Stuetzle let Vlasic beat him to a scoring position

I remember Chabot's first game back, he put JBD in a bad spot, unnecessarily, and Buffalo scored

Both these guys end up game stars and we go home with the win because we scored a lot of goals. Sometimes you're not going to score a lot of goals. And if these defensive gaffes continue, we can't win enough hockey games.

We've won 2 games this year where we've scored less than 4 goals. For comparison, 4 random high end teams, games won scoring 3 or less.
Boston 11
Florida 8
Winnipeg 10
Vegas 6

Loser points in games with 3 goals or less
Boston 6
Florida 2
Winnipeg 4
Vegas 4

So, we have 4 points this year scoring 3 or less. No loser points The 4 comparison teams have
Boston 28
Florida 18
Winnipeg 24
Vegas 16

The differential average is 17.5. Those 17.5 points put us in the playoffs based on points %age.

Some of that is attributable to goaltending, some lazy defensive play

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Absolutely. Tim Stuetzle let Vlasic beat him to a scoring position

I remember Chabot's first game back, he put JBD in a bad spot, unnecessarily, and Buffalo scored

Both these guys end up game stars and we go home with the win because we scored a lot of goals. Sometimes you're not going to score a lot of goals. And if these defensive gaffes continue, we can't win enough hockey games.

We've won 2 games this year where we've scored less than 4 goals. For comparison, 4 random high end teams, games won scoring 3 or less.
Boston 11
Florida 8
Winnipeg 10
Vegas 6

Loser points in games with 3 goals or less
Boston 6
Florida 2
Winnipeg 4
Vegas 4

So, we have 4 points this year scoring 3 or less. No loser points The 4 comparison teams have
Boston 28
Florida 18
Winnipeg 24
Vegas 16

The differential average is 17.5. Those 17.5 points put us in the playoffs based on points %age.

Some of that is attributable to goaltending, some lazy defensive play
It would be nice if “stars” were selected for play rather than stats alone. Zub should have many stars in his career with us.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Zub had 3 points last night and was +3.
I didn’t even realize, I probably wasn’t listening closely as it was a game with my young one still up, but I wasn’t hearing a lot about Zub. I definitely noticed him involved in goals and solid on D. He should have been one of the stars.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He figured out that he's an offensive Dman far quicker than Phillips, almost 800 fewer games...
I've noticed (in general, but especially last night) that Zub gets his shot through traffic and on net. It creates secondary scoring chances for our players who are positioned in front of the net and leads to goals.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I agree totally this this. Too many times people get caught up in offensive stats and think the player who got the most points was the best on the ice. Certainly not last night. Sens best line last night was Tkachuk, Giroux and Grieg. They dominated on both ends of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad