Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
not to be too rude, but your quote was cherry picked. I certainly cherry picked mine. the one I quoted was the very next one on the tsn 1200 feed.
Maybe 1200 cherry picked it. I just reposted a post from 1200. I’m not gonna post every single thing 1200 posts lol.

Also I don’t find it that interesting that stutzle said he wants to win

@Burrowsaurus you are constantly negative and look for any reason to be. Sorry I can't fall in line with that. Its a quote without the rest of the interview pushing a narrative.

There is obviously more to it. I know you want to jump all over this and project it as a massive character flaw. But I would rather look at it as the process of a 21 year old who has only had one coach who let him do whatever he wanted work through the shock of having to be accountable. Make sacrifices they have never had to make and how they process it.

Martin has been here for 7 games. Players are going to be adapting to the new systems and whats expected of them. It’s not going to happen over night.
I don’t need you to fall in line.

Yes I’m a pessimistic sports fan. I don’t pretend not to be.

Again not my quote. Tsn 1200s quote.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Does this actually look like a team that "pulled together and kept working for each other"?
Yes. It has been stated a ton how tight the room is and how much they want to win together. I don't think they are intentionally losing. A lot of it has to do with the systems they had to play and how poorly the overall roster was constructed. Goaltending remains a huge issue as well.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Am I doing this right? Stutzle literally said: "he wants to score more but doesn't care".

Even better, he literally said he "doesn't care".

BTW, I didn't think Stutzle was bad defensively last year. He was involved defensively, taking pucks away galore. Now he's the one losing the puck. A return to full health will make a big difference, a lot more than coaching.

Reactions: bert and NyQuil

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I read the article…what accountability is Ian talking about exactly? All the other stuff still doesn’t address that one snippet or disprove it

I always love it when media members do this.

- Mendes writes an article featuring an open-to-interpretation quote from Stützle
- His former colleagues at TSN1200 follow it up by posting a paraphrased snipped from Stützle that's even more open-to-interpretation and lacks context on Twitter (a habit they tend to have)
- Fans react to both quotes
- Mendes criticizes fans for reacting

Reactions: LiseL and SensHulk

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

- Mendes writes an article featuring an open-to-interpretation quote from Stützle
- His former colleagues at TSN1200 follow it up by posting a paraphrased snipped from Stützle that's even more open-to-interpretation and lacks context on Twitter (a habit they tend to have)

You’re right, it’s Ian’s fault for some fans jumping to ridiculous conclusions while others didn’t.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Here is Stutzle's interview that has his comment on G and the systems near the end..

He clarifies his comments in the Mendes Athletic interview posted above. He says he meant he is thankful to DJ for allowing them to develop

Very positive
Thanks for sharing and glad he clarified that point.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
You’re right, it’s Ian’s fault for some fans jumping to ridiculous conclusions while others didn’t.
Umm no maybe what was written and quoted just doesn’t present itself very well and Ian is an idiot if he doesn’t understand that. It’s like a text message that doesn’t come across as intended, Ian could have clarified but instead he decided to jump on the bandwagon and gaslight the fan base.

I’m a huge Ian fan too, went to bat plenty of times. This just comes across very irresponsible on his part

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

It’s not Ian’s fault. But he's not an idiot, he knew that that snippet could be interpreted in a couple of ways, considering what's already been said about DJ by the players and how the fanbase feels about him. He's a local guy, on "Sens Twitter" all day.

He could have asked the same clarifying question that the reporter in the scrum today asked, and included that.

But he didn't.

Then, TSN1200 paraphrased and posted another quote from Stützle on Twitter, without context, that they knew would generate even more reaction and clicks, which is exactly what they wanted (and something they do often).

Wagging his finger at the fans about "media literacy" is a bit rich, when it's the sports media on Twitter that loves fanning the flames.

I really don't care, it's not that serious a topic, it's sports, but let's be honest about it. The media, Ian included, want engagement. They got engagement.

Take the clicks and bring it up at your next performance review with your editor, Ian.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensHulk

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
What if that last coach was Ted Lasso?

Then they would forget about being goldfishes, and then remember Ted Lasso again?

But by remembering him, they would remember to be goldfishes again and then forget about him yet again?
If the last coach was Ted lasso, the last thing I'd want is these guys to be goldfishes!!

Just bring on sudekis as a consultant or something. It would be both hilarious and insane and might just fuel a new Ted lasso show!

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s not Ian’s fault. But he's not an idiot, he knew that that statement could have been interpreted in a couple of ways, considering what's already been said about DJ by the players and how the fanbase feels.

He could have asked the same clarification question that the reporter in the scrum today asked, and posted an expanded quote. But he didn't.

Then, TSN1200 paraphrased and posted another quote on Twitter, without context, that generated even more reaction and clicks, which is exactly what they wanted (and something they do often). That's why they did it. "People will react to this".

Wagging his finger at the fans about "media literacy" is a bit rich, when it's the sports media on Twitter that loves fanning the flames.
Well, Mendes having heard the quote in the context of the interview likely didn't interpret it that way while doing the interview. I guess he could have reached back out to Stü for clarification after the fact while writing the article, but I don't believe that's standard practice in sports journalism. So at that point it was probably include the quote or don't. Maybe he could have snipped out the contentious part but that's not really his job, he likely felt that readers would understand it within the context of the article the same way he did in the interview.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At least TSN 1200 gave us something to fight about today.

1704407648876.gif

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Well, Mendes having heard the quote in the context of the interview likely didn't interpret it that way while doing the interview. I guess he could have reached back out to Stü for clarification after the fact while writing the article, but I don't believe that's standard practice in sports journalism. So at that point it was probably include the quote or don't. Maybe he could have snipped out the contentious part but that's not really his job, he likely felt that readers would understand it within the context of the article the same way he did in the interview.

Communicating unambiguously is quite literally a journalist's job.

"Are people going to understand what's being said here? Is the intended meaning clear? Could it be misinterpreted?" That's something he probably should always ask himself after he writes a paragraph, and if the answer is "maybe", he should circle back.

They know how social media works! How things can spread! Twitter isn't new. And if it ends up being misinterpreted, it's partly his fault for being unclear.

It's also funny how he tweeted, "People take snippets of a story behind a paywall and spread them with little or no context added." an hour after TSN1200 posted a paraphrased snippet from Stützle's scrum, with no added context.

Wag your finger at the social media person at TSN1200 too, Ian. You probably know them – shoot them a text.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Communicating unambiguously is quite literally a journalist's job.

"Are people going to understand what's being said here? Is the intended meaning clear? Could it be misinterpreted?"

That's something he probably should always ask himself after he writes a paragraph, and if the answer is "maybe", he should circle back.

They know how social media works! How things can spread! Twitter isn't new.

And if it ends up being misinterpreted, it's partly his fault for being unclear.

It's also funny how he tweeted, "People take snippets of a story behind a paywall and spread them with little or no context added." an hour after TSN1200 posted a paraphrased snippet from Stützle's scrum, with no added context.

Wag your finger at the social media person at TSN1200, Ian. You probably know them, shoot them a text.
I thought it was clear enough in the article, maybe Mendes puts too much faith in people not to pull things out of context, or maybe he hopes they'll see the quite and spring for an athletic subscription so they can read for themselves.

I try not to read to much into one liners pulled from a broader medium, and rather go to the source for the full story, others try and tease out deeper meaning and motivations from those out of context one liners. I know which I'll stick to.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I try not to read to much into one liners pulled from a broader medium, and rather go to the source for the full story, others try and tease out deeper meaning and motivations from those out of context one liners. I know which I'll stick to.

Well that's fair. Don't take anything a journalist writes or quotes at face value, Mendes included, until you hear the player/person say it themselves.

Most people don't operate like this though. They rely on people like Mendes (or TSN 1200) to be the in-between between them and the source.

It's Mendes' (or TSN 1200's) responsibility, to their readers/listeners and the people providing the quotes, that the meaning is not misinterpreted.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Of course not.

It doesn’t portray Stutzle as a greedy, offense-cheating brat who won’t play for anyone but DJ and only cares about his stats and his money.
Offense cheating brat. No. Lazy because poor play has gotten him paid and there have never been any consequences only rewards. Yes
But also… like the most cliche thing ever “want to win don’t care that much about points”. I mean… everyone says that.

I’ll let his play convince me one way or the other.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I read the article…what accountability is Ian talking about exactly? All the other stuff still doesn’t address that one snippet or disprove it

Mendes should just straight up ask Stutzle about his thoughts on the rebuild and his roll on the team and we’ll all know.

but honestly how quickly the fans have turned on a player who they also say hasn’t played for real coach or manager his entire career is laughable

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mendes should just straight up ask Stutzle about his thoughts on the rebuild and his roll on the team and we’ll all know.

but honestly how quickly the fans have turned on a player who they also say hasn’t played for real coach or manager his entire career is laughable
Fans reactions are usually directly related to play. Were fans of a sport we watch people play a sport. If they play it well and win generally that makes fans happy

Reactions: SensHulk

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Fans reactions are usually directly related to play. Were fans of a sport we watch people play a sport. If they play it well and win generally that makes fans happy

I think the players have had an easy ride and seeing Alfie get emotional in the bench for a lack of team play and Martin critizing the young core has permitted the fans to critize and now it’s open season on Stutzle.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

Sigh you guys just keep going in circles…we’re not turning on the guy, it is his idiotic statements that are warranting discussion and his pouting attitude is on full display. Fans and analysts are absolutely right to call him out on his BS but it doesn’t mean we’re wanting him traded. Geez holy shit

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think the players have had an easy ride and seeing Alfie get emotional in the bench for a lack of team play and Martin critizing the young core has permitted the fans to critize and now it’s open season on Stutzle.
I dono stutzle got it when DJ was behind the bench too. Except maybe we gave stutzle the benefit of the doubt because of who his coach was. Now there is no more of that. And it’s not just stutzle. Brady chabot chychrun. All of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad