Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's never had a good defensive game though... which is, I think, what Jacques is trying to tell him!

You may think you were good in your own end last year... but you weren't.

That’s not what he’s saying at all.

Here’s the entire quote:

“Jacques and Alfie have been around for such a long time, they know what they’re doing,” said Stützle. “They’re really positive all the time. And I think I’ve gotten better in my 200-foot game. I think my best is when I’m playing a good offensive and defensive game.”

I don’t know how people interpret this as “I hate Jacques, I don’t want to listen to him and I don’t care about playing defence.”

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People believe in something when they see results.

Keep in mind, these kinds of coaches always have a limited shelf life.

Hitchcock, Tortorella, there’s a reason they get tuned out eventually.
They have to be a part of the results. Hockey players have to row in the same direction within any kind of system and structure the coaches are trying to implement and it will not get results until they are all buying in.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Jacques isn't one of those coaches. As far as I can tell, he's not screaming at or benching anyone, yet. He's a pretty relaxed, calm presence and is asking the team to play more responsibly and, apparently, is having a tough time selling that message to some guys.

It’s not the hysterics, it’s the system.

People give up on the system eventually.

Every system has a shelf-life.

I don’t think Jacques is going to lead this team to a Cup but hopefully by the time he is done, our team has a better idea how to play both ways.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
It’s not the hysterics, it’s the system.

People give up on the system eventually.

Eventually, maybe. We haven't even started. We're two weeks in and some guys who've never won anything don't seem to like the system.

I would have hoped that even if they liked DJ, all that losing would have made them to jump into this new experience/challenge with both feet. You know, a fresh start, the "new coach bump".

Doesn't seem to be the case though. And you can tell on the ice.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Eventually, maybe. We haven't even started. We're two weeks in and some guys who've never won anything don't seem to like the system.
They don't have to like it. They just have to execute it to the best of their ability.
Offensive players are not going to want to play the trap for example... but if that player doesn't play his part in the system he is going to stand out and be called out.

Reactions: NyQuil

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
He really is better off saying nothing at all.
so true.

Fans: players should be more interesting in their interviews.
player: older guy told me 'xyz'
fans: what a clueless dick. So immature. cut his ice time to 3 minutes.

(I say this as someone who thought Chucky's comments about fans booing and BS chants was wrong and the face of it, ill advised as a strategy and showed his immaturity)

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
so true.

Fans: players should be more interesting in their interviews.
player: older guy told me 'xyz'
fans: what a clueless dick. So immature. cut his ice time to 3 minutes.

(I say this as someone who thought Chucky's comments about fans booing and BS chants was wrong and the face of it, ill advised as a strategy and showed his immaturity)

Tkachuk thought defending his coach was the right thing to do as Captain and he was wrong.

You never point your fingers at the fans no matter what they do or say.

Lesson learned.

IpsoPostFacto

Dec 17, 2017
That’s not what he’s saying at all.

Here’s the entire quote:

“Jacques and Alfie have been around for such a long time, they know what they’re doing,” said Stützle. “They’re really positive all the time. And I think I’ve gotten better in my 200-foot game. I think my best is when I’m playing a good offensive and defensive game.”

I don’t know how people interpret this as “I hate Jacques, I don’t want to listen to him and I don’t care about playing defence.”
“Jacques and Alfie have been … offensive ...”

it's easy, once you get the hang of it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Fans will assume that smile means he's not taking anything seriously and question his character in a time like this.

When he was smiling during the helmet presentation, it meant he didn’t respect Martin.

But when he was stone-faced on the bench, it meant he’s sulking and doesn’t respect Alfie.

So, maybe try a half-smile that turns into a slow nod, followed by gritted teeth of determination.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Reading some of the posts on here makes me think of a bit from Bill Burr:
"What does he mean by that? I didn't go to the gym today! Is he calling me fat? I feel f*cking triggered."

This place is going off the rails.
I mean a few users here drove away most of the better users so this is the endgame.

Reactions: R We A Team

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

IpsoPostFacto

Dec 17, 2017
When he was smiling during the helmet presentation, it meant he didn’t respect Martin.

But when he was stone-faced on the bench, it meant he’s sulking and doesn’t respect Alfie.

So, maybe try a half-smile that turns into a slow nod, followed by gritted teeth of determination.
I'm convinced that when Brady and Tim were smiling in the helmet ceremony that Giroux was on the other side of the room doing the helicopter.

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

1000054895.gif

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

Here is Stutzle's interview that has his comment on G and the systems near the end..

He clarifies his comments in the Mendes Athletic interview posted above. He says he meant he is thankful to DJ for allowing them to develop

Very positive

Hey get that context out of here!

When I hear Tim talk, I hear a guy who cares, is frustrated, and wants to win. Now he just needs to translate it onto the ice. English is clearly not his first language, and how he phrases things can be taken out of context, obviously.

I'll judge him based off of how he performs on the ice. Can't wait to see him regain his confidence and show how impactful a player he can be.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I don't think anyone is projecting a massive character flaw. It just follows on the heals of Jacques question on 1200 yesterday and the concern of the DJ firing and how the players are taking it and how they are reacting to the change and how ready they are to buy in to the new messages.
Some players may take longer to process it, understand it and incorporate it. I hope they all just park the past , move on and embrace the new tactics the coaches are preaching. We are getting a little more insight but still lots of speculation
To paraphrase another outstanding coach.... They need to be goldfishes about the last coach.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can't wait to see him regain his confidence and show how impactful a player he can be.

Or in the press box because he’s all busted up and can’t meet his or our expectations anyway.

To paraphrase another outstanding coach.... They need to be goldfishes about the last coach.

What if that last coach was Ted Lasso?

Then they would forget about being goldfishes, and then remember Ted Lasso again?

But by remembering him, they would remember to be goldfishes again and then forget about him yet again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad