Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think it's because of how they've responded on the ice.

It'd be one thing if Tkachuk and Stutzle said it was tough seeing DJ go, but then came out flying on the ice.

But they haven't done that.
its called maturity. Going through your first coaching change is another learning experience. I doubt how guys respond this time will be the same the next time.
its clear they liked DJ. Now they are learning how to play under someone else who is showing them tough love

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I’m not sure why any criticism of our players is deemed as ‘fan base has turned on said player’. They deserve the criticism cuz they’re losing and have been for the last 4/5 years. When they do great, they are also showered with lots of praise.

everyone is very quick to gaslight the fan base while not wanting to hold the players accountable for very obvious attitude issues. Sound familiar? It’s DJ smith all over again, as a fan base we should expect better then to be scared of criticizing a kid making millions of dollars

Reactions: LiseL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I’m not sure why any criticism of our players is deemed as ‘fan base has turned on said player’. They deserve the criticism cuz they’re losing and have been for the last 4/5 years. When they do great, they are also showered with lots of praise.

everyone is very quick to gaslight the fan base while not wanting to hold the players accountable for very obvious attitude issues. Sound familiar? It’s DJ smith all over again, as a fan base we should expect better then to be scared of criticizing a kid making millions of dollars
agreed

but I took Timmy quote as DJ helped them all get paiddddd which is more in line with Timmy personality imo

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It's amusing.

People were so convinced that firing DJ would instantly solve everything, now they're finding way to cope with being wrong.
What's more amusing is the people that were convinced that the GM was a genius, the coach was top drawer, and everything was going well and anybody that couldn't see this was just dumb and blinded by hate.

:tinker:

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
its called maturity. Going through your first coaching change is another learning experience. I doubt how guys respond this time will be the same the next time.
its clear they liked DJ. Now they are learning how to play under someone else who is showing them tough love
Agree but I don't even think they are getting tough love .... yet. They are being taught a different approach to the game .. a change for them on top of a coaching change they didn't want to happen. They are young .. they are emotional and they will learn..it may just take a minute .. in the mean time its a transition phase where they are being asked to do something different.. that has to become natural and that will take varying degrees of time between the players even if everyone is completely settled in and willing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Agree but I don't even think they are getting tough love .... yet. They are being taught a different approach to the game .. a change for them on top of a coaching change they didn't want to happen. They are young .. they are emotional and they will learn..it may just take a minute .. in the mean time its a transition phase where they are being asked to do something different.. that has to become natural and that will take varying degrees of time between the players even if everyone is completely settled in and willing.
maybe not tough love yet but definitely a higher level of expectation and seeing who sinks and who swims

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
maybe not tough love yet but definitely a higher level of expectation and seeing who sinks and who swims
Yup and the tough love could be coming if the coaches don't think the message is getting through by just explaining and video.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Its all good no reason for fans to even feel a little bit of emotion. Ignore the possibility of difference of opinions. If you can't, just look for the holier , superior ones different from yours. Smoke some really good hash and chill.

For the past few days people here have been talking about the possibility of lack of buy in among some players. That topic even reached a Jacques Martin interview.. Fans wonder about it . All they get is a slit through the fence view and some try to piece the picture together and maybe share it . We should not do this I am gathering. It seems that its stupid to piece it together a certain way. My compadres who have been doing this should realize its all good. Nothing to see here. Overreacting to what you think you see is never a good thing to share no matter what. Develop a more accepting that all is just plucky kind of attitude, sit back have another hit and everyone will get along better and possibly you won't be called stupid for sharing ideas people aren't ready to accept as possible.
Us lowly registered users don't know enough about the internals of this hockey team. We need to be higher up the hf organizational ladder to discuss these things. That, or we just have to be pro DJ and sing Kumbaya.

• Haha

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Us lowly registered users don't know enough about the internals of this hockey team. We need to be higher up the hf organizational ladder to discuss these things. That, or we just have to be pro DJ and sing Kumbaya.
I don't know if we have to be pro DJ but we definitely should be singing lol.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I mean i would say if anything DJ was more an enabler than the creator of Timmys loose leash. Perhaps Djs lack of system was due to allowing the kids to fly fast and free and hope for the best---shit we were collecting high picks --- well pleased he's gone though

Even in the juniors Timmy was all over the ice trying to stick handle through teams. If anything I'm imagining Jacques is asking him to simplify his game to allow for some d coverages and a change in mentality, but man he's never had to play d...... ever?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think it’s fine to criticize our players, I don’t think anyone here thinks that Stutzle and Tkachuk have been pulling their weight.

I just have issues with frame-by-frame Zapruder JFK film analysis of tiny clips of media and drawing massive conclusions from them.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's amusing.

People were so convinced that firing DJ would instantly solve everything, now they're finding way to cope with being wrong.
I think you are making things up again and this is the second time you've been called out for the exact same thing as the last time.

The vast majority of people wanted DJ canned because the results weren't there for years. I don't recall seeing anyone say that there would be instantaneous results...

Reactions: OD99

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
agreed

but I took Timmy quote as DJ helped them all get paiddddd which is more in line with Timmy personality imo

I took it as he was appreciative of DJ’s guidance in developing them as players to the point of earning those contracts.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I think you are making things up again and this is the second time you've been called out for the exact same thing as the last time.

The vast majority of people wanted DJ canned because the results weren't there for years. I don't recall seeing anyone say that there would be instantaneous results...

If anything, most people said firing DJ had to be the first domino to fall, with the main reason being we needed to figure out which of our players to ship out.

"Fire DJ so we can start retooling the rebuild" is not "Fire DJ so we can win the cup this year".

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I think it’s fine to criticize our players, I don’t think anyone here thinks that Stutzle and Tkachuk have been pulling their weight.

I just have issues with Zapruder JFK film analysis of tiny clips of media and drawing massive conclusions from them.
Again, it wasn’t just one clip. And it wasn’t the fan base trying to dissect it, it’s a former player calling it into question as well. Plus JM was directly asked about ‘pouting’ from players yesterday and he had a fantastic response so I don’t think we’re full JFK here (in fact I also commented that we were looking too much into the helmet video of Brady and Stutzle’s reactions) but considering the shit games they’ve been playing plus what’s being discussed by the media, it is more than fair to question their attitudes and see if there are any signs that are indicative of any problems

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Again, it wasn’t just one clip. And it wasn’t the fan base trying to dissect it, it’s a former player calling it into question as well. Plus JM was directly asked about ‘pouting’ from players yesterday and he had a fantastic response so I don’t think we’re full JFK here (in fact I also commented that we were looking too much into the helmet video of Brady and Stutzle’s reactions) but considering the shit games they’ve been playing plus what’s being discussed by the media, it is more than fair to question their attitudes and see if there are any signs that are indicative of any problems

If you look hard enough, you’ll always find signs of something.

The team sucks and their coach got fired because of their play.

It would be much more concerning if they were happy about it.

We would like a faster turnaround but it hasn’t happened yet.

That’s about as far as I’m able to read into it at this point.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I took it as he was appreciative of DJ’s guidance in developing them as players to the point of earning those contracts.

Still an odd thing to say out loud for an athlete, even though it's what all athletes would think.

"I love the guy because he helped us get paid even though we didn't win a damn thing."

What, in my view, is happening:

The core players thought they were doing everything right, but just weren't getting the results, and are disappointed that this led to DJ getting fired.

Jacques Martin has come in and told them that they weren't doing everything right, and this has caught them off guard.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
I hope that’s true but it doesn’t mean there aren’t problems with Stutzle’s attitude or Brady for that matter, that comment chastising the fan base was extremely tone deaf and concerning to me

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What did Martin say yesterday?

There has been basically no practice time so any significant structural changes will be very slow to be adopted.

Timmy not looking at Alfie is a situation that plays itself out in every league, every night. Slow news day again.

Reactions: Dionysus and armani

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Still an odd thing to say out loud for an athlete, even though it's what all athletes would think.

"I love the guy because he helped us get paid even though we didn't win a damn thing."

He’s also German.

He’s always been a bit blunt and I think the nuances of what he is trying to say can be lost sometimes because it’s his second language.

I can understand why Vladimir Guerrero still uses a translator despite speaking English well enough by now because of this kind of thing.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
He’s also German.

He’s always been a bit blunt and I think the nuances of what he is trying to say can be lost sometimes.

Well, the best way for him to quiet the critics is to go out, play hard at both ends, stop with the stupid giveaways and exasperated looks towards the refs, and produce.

Like he said, DJ Smith helped him get paid.
And like Martin said, when you get paid, it's on you to deliver. You can't trot out excuses.

We'll see what happens the rest of the year.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I don't really have a problem with what he said tbh.

It will be used against him by some fans but he'll learn to keep it to himself the next time around and provide the cliche answers hockey players are accustomed to giving.

I'll have a problem if he let's it consume him for extended periods of time where he is unwilling to accept change/accountability

Reactions: Dionysus and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, the best way for him to quiet the critics is to go out, play hard at both ends, stop with the stupid giveaways and exasperated looks towards the refs, and produce.

Like he said, DJ Smith helped him get paid.
And like Martin said, when you get paid, it's on you to deliver.

We'll see what happens the rest of the year.

I don’t have any problem with that.

I expect more from him too.

If he is hurt, it’s up to the team to pull him because few NHL players willingly sit themselves down due to the culture of being tough and playing through adversity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad