Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s been less than 10 games.

If Martin can turn Havlat into a decent two-way player, I’m willing to see if he can do the same with Stutzle and Tkachuk.
They're going to get over it eventually. Obviously this is not ideal and its not a good look but the big picture will hit them directly in the face. No one will want players that have never won anything and shit the bed when a coach gets changed. Its a tough look so far for Stutzle and Tkachuk. Anyone that thought this change was going to happen over night with how inconsistent this team has played over the last few years wasnt really paying very close attention. Everyone wants immediate gratification but this league is too good to just flip a switch. Its going to come.

Batherson is embracing the change and is thriving, theres an example right on his line.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
They're going to get over it eventually. Obviously this is not ideal and its not a good look but the big picture will hit them directly in the face. No one will want players that have never won anything and shit the bed when a coach gets changed. Its a tough look so far for Stutzle and Tkachuk. Anyone that thought this change was going to happen over night with how inconsistent this team has played over the last few years wasnt really paying very close attention. Everyone wants immediate gratification but this league is too good to just flip a switch. Its going to come.

Batherson is embracing the change and is thriving, theres an example right on his line.

Agreed.

In his first couple games back I think Chabot is on board too.

It'll happen with Tkachuk and Stü as well. They're used to getting whatever they want with this team. It's a huge culture shock to come out of that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
The losing is really getting to people around here. I've never seen fans turn so quickly on their best young players over nothing.

A large portion of this fanbase turned on Erik Karlsson 6 months after he played through a major injury while leading the team to game 7 of the ECF.

Fun fact, through 33 games of that season from hell which kicked off the rebuild, we had 30 points. This year, through 33 games, we have 28 points.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
It's amusing.

People were so convinced that firing DJ would instantly solve everything, now they're finding way to cope with being wrong.

Didn't you always say that this was a well-built team with a strong culture? It was just a matter of getting more experience, and then we'd win?

It's pretty clear that anyone who thought a coaching change would solve everything right away was dead wrong.

But it's becoming more and more likely that this will go down as a failed rebuild, from top to bottom. Dorion, DJ, the players... all are responsible.

Major renos are needed.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's amusing.

People were so convinced that firing DJ would instantly solve everything, now they're finding way to cope with being wrong.

No one thought it would be instantaneous. That's crazy.

The team has played better hockey in its good starts and has a similar (slightly higher) points % under Jacques, despite not having a training camp, having very little practice time and facing a MUCH tougher schedule.

No one thinks ANYTHING would solve everything unless they are delusional. Firing DJ Smith was a big part of the solution though. And if we had had a competent GM it would have been done more than a year ago.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I am glad Martin is here to instill some level of discipline and structure into these guys on and off the ice

People keep saying DJ is a good rebuilding team coach. The more I see the less I agree with that. Some of this stuff should have been taught from the start. Since it was not we are going through the process now

Reactions: LiseL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It's amusing.

It is not working though? We are seeing the players being held accountable and we know Martin is just getting started

He just came out and told them to check themselves when a 36 year old is our performing you

There is a lot of teaching going on that we did not see for 4 years

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No one thought it would be instantaneous. That's crazy.

The team has played better hockey in its good starts and has a similar (slightly higher) points % under Jacques, despite not having a training camp, having very little practice time and facing a MUCH tougher schedule.

No one thinks ANYTHING would solve everything unless they are delusional. Firing DJ Smith was a big part of the solution though. And if we had had a competent GM it would have been done more than a year ago.
Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which the abuser attempts to sow self-doubt and confusion in their victim's mind.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am glad Martin is here to instill some level of discipline and structure into these guys on and off the ice

People keep saying DJ is a good rebuilding team coach. The more I see the less I agree with that. Some of this stuff should have been taught from the start. Since it was not we are going through the process now
He was for the first three years, the change came two years too late. A full rebuild to contender likely needs three coachs. The second coach who will build structure came too late. DJ did build some great characteristics he was just around too long.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's amusing.

naw they thought that DJ was making a mess of managing these players for success and that he needed to be replaced before the damage was too far done.

now is the painful time of reversing the damage.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sure, but his comments so far have been out of character for him, based on what we know of him from the past. They've been pretty harsh, less than 10 games in.

Maybe he's just older and as an interim, doesn't care as much about hurting feelings.
I think his comments are harsher because of the circumstances he's in. When he came to Ottawa the first time, the team didn't have a ton of skill yet, and they added it over the course of the next few seasons. This time Jacques is coming into an underachieving team that has a lot of skill but have been coddled at this point in their careers, so he kind of needs to push and challenge them as a group more, which calls for being a little harsher and direct.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Really easy to forget that English is his second language too. Everyone take a deep breath.

Tim has always come across as a very considerate and earnest kid. I doubt all that has changed in a few weeks.

Seriously, can we not give the kid the benefit of the doubt? He was clearly trying to give DJ credit for helping he and his teammates earn those big contracts.

I don't see how anyone could actually read the Mendes piece and come away thinking Stutzle has an attitude problem. All he ever does is try to say the right thing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really easy to forget that English is his second language too. Everyone take a deep breath.

Tim has always come across as a very considerate and earnest kid. I doubt all that has changed in a few weeks.

Stutzle is smart, if he reads the press he knows Bérubé won’t be an easier to play for than Martin is. I don’t think Timmy is looking for excuses, I just think he has a lot to learn and it’s not easy days for him and he’s frustrated but he is going to learn

i For one am happy the young kids have pressure on them, we are going to learn a lot about how they respond to coaching and culture change. This is an intentional pressure test by Martin and Staois to see how they respond - let’s see how Timmy plays tonight. My guess is he’s the best player on the ice from a sheer athlete standpoint Just to prove his worth after Martin’s challenge to him

Reactions: Dionysus and bert

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Instead we could still be losing only with DJ behind the bench.

**throat clear and sniff**

You know Vancouver is a top team in this league, and they came out fast and hard tonight. They're big and strong.

**sniff**

I thought there were some bad bounces on a couple of goals, and our guys are dealing with a time zone change, but we wanted to be better in the 1st.

**throat clear**

But I thought we came out really well in the 2nd and 3rd, and if we play like that for 60 minutes, we'll win a lot of games in this league.

**sniff**

We'll have a light practice tomorrow, try to have some fun, clear our minds a little bit, and get back at it in Seattle.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stutzle is smart, if he reads the press he knows Bérubé won’t be an easier to play for than Martin is. I don’t think Timmy is looking for excuses, I just think he has a lot to learn and it’s not easy days for him and he’s frustrated but he is going to learn

i For one am happy the young kids have pressure on them, we are going to learn a lot about how they respond to coaching and culture change. This is an intentional pressure test by Martin and Staois to see how they respond - let’s see how Timmy plays tonight. My guess is he’s the best player on the ice from a sheer athlete standpoint Just to prove his worth after Martin’s challenge to him
Do we know that they don't want a coach they keeps them accoutable? or is it just them going through the transition of now having more accountability and structure

That probably takes time to change the mindset after 4 years and never knowing anything else in the NHL

I guess time will tell

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
This is just plain dumb.

When I f***ed up playing hockey, and I know I f***ed up, I’m definitely listening on the bench as I’m watching the game, but I’m upset with myself and I’m kind of in my own little world.

People reading the body language that he’s not turning and listening and nodding actively like a happy participant in the conversation.

He’s pissed because he screwed up and he knows it and the assistant coach knows it too.
So you don’t care that a former player called him out…got it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its all good no reason for fans to even feel a little bit of emotion. Ignore the possibility of difference of opinions. If you can't, just look for the holier , superior ones different from yours. Smoke some really good hash and chill.

For the past few days people here have been talking about the possibility of lack of buy in among some players. That topic even reached a Jacques Martin interview.. Fans wonder about it . All they get is a slit through the fence view and some try to piece the picture together and maybe share it . We should not do this I am gathering. It seems that its stupid to piece it together a certain way. My compadres who have been doing this should realize its all good. Nothing to see here. Overreacting to what you think you see is never a good thing to share no matter what. Develop a more accepting that all is just plucky kind of attitude, sit back have another hit and everyone will get along better and possibly you won't be called stupid for sharing ideas people aren't ready to accept as possible.

• Haha

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Absolutely. It might take a minute for them to change themselves, all they have known is DJ hockey who let them do as they pleased (which helped grow their skills but at the expense of professional team hockey).

Collectively, the fanbase need to take a deep breath. All the playoff promises by the previous regime is out the window, and we are already seeing a wind of change with new GM, coach, etc. Now it's time for them to learn how to play and create plays as a team. And defend when the puck is with the other team. Learn accountability on and off the ice.

If the players don't respond, then I would see changes on that front too. But now is not the time to make wholesale changes to the core, which is actually very good but needs to learn JM hockey (and they are young enough to do so).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad