Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
That quote is from a full article in the athletic by Mendes, context is always important. Reading the article I had no issue with his comments.

One of the reasons I had advocated for firing DJ was to remove these guys from their comfort zone. See how they integrate new concepts and learn. The players need to be evaluated on a fresh slate, and that is what is happening.

So far the results are showing a middling ability to consistently execute and work at a high level. The rest of the season will be crucial in seeing who will buy in, and who won't. I think Stu wants to play the right way, and much like Alfie, will have to learn to not try to do too much.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
That quote is from a full article in the athletic by Mendes, context is always important. Reading the article I had no issue with his comments.

One of the reasons I had advocated for firing DJ was to remove these guys from their comfort zone. See how they integrate new concepts and learn. The players need to be evaluated on a fresh slate, and that is what is happening.

So far the results are showing a middling ability to consistently execute and work at a high level. The rest of the season will be crucial in seeing who will buy in, and who won't. I think Stu wants to play the right way, and much like Alfie, will have to learn to not try to do too much.

That quote, paired with Martin's very pointed comments yesterday, combined with what we've seen on the ice, can easily lead one to believe that all is not well amongst these players.

Martin has spent 30 years being as buttoned up as they come. If he felt that the players were embracing the change and "wanted to play the right way", I don't think he would've said what he said.

Reactions: LiseL and SensHulk

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’d be tempted to move Stutzle back to wing next year and run Norris, Pinto and Greig down the middle.

Reactions: StoicSensFan

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
That quote, paired with Martin's very pointed comments yesterday, combined with what we've seen on the ice, can easily lead one to believe that all is not well amongst these players.

I don't think you need any more information than watching the games to see that. The team lacks consistency, connectedness, compete.

JM's comments echo what those who have been watching the team have seen. Simply not good enough. They need to decide what they are as a team and consistently forge an identity.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t get why people are worked up about the emotional response to their first coaching change.

Hossa was in tears after being traded for the first time. So was Gretzky.

I doubt that happened ever again.

And I don’t think it’s because they weren’t professionals and not committed hockey players.

Those dramatic changes are always the most impactful the first time they happen.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I can't break this video up but his bit starts at like 4m

...i remember when i saw it at the time i really noted all the pantomime he was doing in this interview and the comment of what can i tell you//// looking visibly shook

Since that time he seems to have checked out a bit and ice time is starting to be reduced... kinda concerning paired with his "we signed here to pay with Dj" inference.

Shouldn't Keith be in his sons ear that to buy in??
You know stu will follow bradys lead.....

Reactions: LiseL

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was actually Bobby Ryan, a former player from YOUR ottawa senators that called out Stutzle for not paying attention to Alfie on the bench. I don’t know about you, but I’m probably trusting that a former player knows what’s happening on the bench.
Not your typical ‘sens fans are soft’ hot garbage ppl like to parade around…where there’s smoke, there’s fire

This is just plain dumb.

When I f***ed up playing hockey, and I know I f***ed up, I’m definitely listening on the bench as I’m watching the game, but I’m upset with myself and I’m kind of in my own little world.

People reading the body language that he’s not turning and listening and nodding actively like a happy participant in the conversation.

He’s pissed because he screwed up and he knows it and the assistant coach knows it too.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I don’t get why people are worked up about the emotional response to their first coaching change.

And I don’t think it’s because they weren’t professionals and not committed hockey players.

Those dramatic changes are always the most impactful the first time they happen.

Wow, bringing up the Hossa trade, going to make me tear up. What could have been...

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Yeah no shit they wouldn't have signed those contracts without him, they wouldn't have that many points if they had to play a 2way game and wouldn't have the same money offered.

Have a bunch of Weiners on this team right now, god damn.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

I think it's because of how they've responded on the ice.

It'd be one thing if Tkachuk and Stutzle said it was tough seeing DJ go, but then came out flying on the ice.

But they haven't done that.

Reactions: NyQuil

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I can't break this video up but his bit starts at like 4m

...i remember when i saw it at the time i really noted all the pantomime he was doing in this interview and the comment of what can i tell you//// looking visibly shook

Since that time he seems to have checked out a bit and ice time is starting to be reduced... kinda concerning paired with his "we signed here to pay with Dj" inference.

Shouldn't Keith be in his sons ear that to buy in??
You know stu will follow bradys lead.....

I don’t think that’s what he’s inferring honestly. He’s dumb and clearly loves DJ smith. But I don’t think that’s what he meant. I think he meant they wouldn’t be the players they are without DJ and wouldn’t have signed the contracts with DJ helping them.

Either that or they’re even dumber than I think. And I think they’re pretty dumb.

But the culture DJ built was one of doesn’t matter how you play things are always gravy. So maybe stu really didn’t think DJ or anyone else would ever be fired. And his play certainly backs that up

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It'd be one thing if Tkachuk and Stutzle said I think it's because of how they've responded on the ice.
It'd be one thing if Tkachuk and Stutzle said it was tough seeing DJ go, but then came out flying on the ice.

It’s been less than 10 games.

If Martin can turn Havlat into a decent two-way player, I’m willing to see if he can do the same with Stutzle and Tkachuk.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018

I agree with your comment about evaluation with a fresh slate and (one of ) your reason to move on from Smith. Further I hope you are right about Stutzle. It will take time before we know.

I do take note, however, when professionals whose judgement I trust are hinting at a morale/respect problem. Such problems can be infectious and difficult to repair.

I'll give it time and am not about to jump off anything high :)

Reactions: LiseL and Dionysus

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
A lot of angst and projection over this quote. Sens fans always looking for something to be upset about.

Let's see how he progresses on the ice under new coaching.
I don't get it either. It's not like Stutz called a news conference to profess his love for DJ. He was likely asked something like ".. so DJ, is gone, what up?" and he said basically what all players say - really liked him and it's on us.

It's going to be like this for a while. Every little thing said will have incantations said over it while we chuck the chicken bones to see what it all means.

It's like that random clip with Alfie from above. Alfie is talking, Tim is standing watching the play and when Alfie is done he possible gives him a tap on the ass or tries to steal his wallet and Tim nods his head in acknowledgement of the message.

Reactions: Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Not to mention, whenever a coach gets fired and a veteran steps up and says “It’s our fault and we have to take reaponsibility for it”, everyone lauds their leadership and accountability.

I think you guys are absolutely nuts.

Stu said that as well in the article. Obviously just a platitude, but not dramatic. Better social media fodder to extrapolate and rage.

He talked about wanting to regain confidence in his shot, which is interesting.

I have noticed he has taken more shots from distance lately. Hopefully he can get back to a shooters mentality.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stu said that as well in the article. Obviously just a platitude, but not dramatic. Better social media fodder to extrapolate and rage.

He talked about wanting to regain confidence in his shot, which is interesting.

I have noticed he has taken more shots from distance lately. Hopefully he can get back to a shooters mentality.

He’s struggling and maybe it’s the first time it’s really happened in his career.

Reactions: Dionysus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

DJ culture has infected some of the fans. Results on ice actually do matter. Not all about the kids smiling

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

If Martin can turn Havlat into a decent two-way player, I’m willing to see if he can do the same with Stutzle and Tkachuk.

Sure, but his comments so far have been out of character for him, based on what we know of him from the past. They've been pretty harsh, less than 10 games in.

Maybe he's just older and as an interim, doesn't care as much about hurting feelings.

Reactions: Dionysus and NyQuil

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

We all (minus a couple of oddballs) want to see these guys turn into a two way players on this team and I know it's been a few games only. It's just off putting seeing guys making 8 million bucks not putting in an effort and being pouty babies. Jacques isn't a guy to dump on his players in the media this fast but he's done just that, there's some merit to fans' feelings of these players being a bunch of sucks.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Stuztle to me he looked more lost than Tkachuk. Doesn’t seem to have the hockey sense

Tkachuk has moments, but overall he’s got a finishers mindset - he wants to be first on the O-zone so he can score and he’s probably played that was his entire life so he’s got a long road ahead because he’s got to completely rework his natural instincts and his hockey IQ

Reactions: LiseL and senswon

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We all (minus a couple of oddballs) want to see these guys turn into a two way players on this team and I know it's been a few games only. It's just off putting seeing guys making 8 million bucks not putting in an effort and being pouty babies. Jacques isn't a guy to dump on his players in the media this fast but he's done just that, there's some merit to fans' feelings of these players being a bunch of sucks.

Maybe Martin has learned a few things since 2004.

I’m curious to see what happens.

Stuztle to me he looked more lost than Tkachuk. Doesn’t seem to have the hockey sense

Tkachuk has moments, but overall he’s got a finishers mindset - he wants to be first on the O-zone so he can score and he’s probably played that was his entire life so he’s got a long road ahead because he’s got to completely rework his natural instincts and his hockey IQ
Playing centre at the NHL level is a lot harder to do.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Maybe Martin has learned a few things since 2004.

I’m curious to see what happens.
I think the only people who aren't willing to give Martin time are the DJ fan boys, ironically.

Fans just want to see the players start playing the right way, and while that process takes time, at least show that hunger to improve off the ice.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is just plain dumb.

When I f***ed up playing hockey, and I know I f***ed up, I’m definitely listening on the bench as I’m watching the game, but I’m upset with myself and I’m kind of in my own little world.

People reading the body language that he’s not turning and listening and nodding actively like a happy participant in the conversation.

He’s pissed because he screwed up and he knows it and the assistant coach knows it too.
Yea it's equally as dumb for those who saw a 5 second clip of Brady giving Martin a supposed death stare after they won against Buffalo because his ice time was down. Talk about making something out of nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad