Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The original passion was bound to dissipate over time. It makes sense that when demand drops to give your customers more options that appeal to them as consumers. The question for is Winnipeg a big enough market it an undesirable location to support the highest level of professional sports over the long term? Fans seem to expect there only to be good times, which is unrealistic in a salary cap league. Will they support a team through the down times? If we do end up rebuilding after next season we are likely looking at at 5-7 years losing far more than we win.

The first 10 seasons (Covid notwithstanding) was a prolonged honeymoon. Demand softened but most of that burden fell on season tickets holders. I think the next 5-10 seasons will be challenging.

The questions I have are:

A) How committed are our owners financially if annual cash losses become chronic (common problem in lots of NHL cities)

B) Are we really an NHL city through the highs and lows after the shine is off. Do we have enough people willing to buy tickets at ever increasing NHL prices?

I know Garry is very committed to keeping the NHL in Ottawa right now as they face a possible ownership transition.

I’m not sure what the fait of our market will be?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Most people with cynical apathy about something don’t usually spend a large percentage of their waking time talking about something they are cynically apathetic about. They usually move on to something they care about.
But you should know by now that I'm not like most people. :laugh:

Reactions: KingBogo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Most people with cynical apathy about something don’t usually spend a large percentage of their waking time talking about something they are cynically apathetic about. They usually move on to something they care about.

Soccer fans around the globe disagree.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I guess I was a little premature in my comments in the positive thread. It looks like they had not released some tickets to individual games with the hopes of selling season ticket/mini-pack packages...at least until recently. Looking at a handful of games, it appears there are typically around 1000 -1500 tickets available for several of the games including the season opener against the Rangers.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Like 95% of other NHL teams …. If we come out and are in the running they will sell out vs good teams and weekends… If they come out and suck then there will be lots of seats available.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I guess I was a little premature in my comments in the positive thread. It looks like they had not released some tickets to individual games with the hopes of selling season ticket/mini-pack packages...at least until recently. Looking at a handful of games, it appears there are typically around 1000 -1500 tickets available for several of the games including the season opener against the Rangers.

The walkup ticket prices on Ticketmaster are truly breathtaking.

If you want to sit in normal, non premium 100 level P1 seats for the home opener, it's $660 for a pair of tickets. For context, two people can fly from Winnipeg to LA on WestJet for $540.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

If you want to sit in normal, non premium 100 level P1 seats for the home opener, it's $660 for a pair of tickets. For context, two people can fly from Winnipeg to LA on WestJet for $540.
Cheapest is $180 for two tickets in 300’s.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

You are referring to the home opener, right? I think that is to be expected given it is a home opener plus it is a weekend game (fri night).

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Ticket prices have skyrocketed across NA. Trying to finds some decent tickets to an AZ Cardinals games but the prices are insane, $500usd/ticket any thing between the 10s in the lower bowl. When I went per Covid in 2019 I paid $150 for the same seats.

Also went to a concert in Minneapolis this summer at the US Bank stadium, last row upper deck was $120usd/per and the concert was sold out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ticket prices have skyrocketed across NA. Trying to finds some decent tickets to an AZ Cardinals games but the prices are insane, $500usd/ticket any thing between the 10s in the lower bowl. When I went per Covid in 2019 I paid $150 for the same seats.

Also went to a concert in Minneapolis this summer at the US Bank stadium, last row upper deck was $120usd/per and the concert was sold out.
Tickets to concerts are out of hand, 600 bucks for 2 tickets to see the Eagles a few days ago.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I guess that is the best perk that season ticket holders now have. I can buy tickets to any game. Any section at season ticket holder prices. I have tickets to the home opener but to buy P1 seats for $199 and in section 120 it’s only $167 a seat. It’s a really nice way to go to games with family and friends now as we have gone from 4 season tickets to 2. It’s a pretty good benefit. Kudos to TNSE for finally rewarding the season ticket holder fan base with a tangible benefit. Lots of prizes and contests. There are finally some reasons to be a season seat holder. Room for improvement but a good start.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Anyone familiar with the membership benefit mentioned on the website referring to AHL TV FOR MANITOBA MOOSE AWAY GAMES. Is that a new thing?

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone familiar with the membership benefit mentioned on the website referring to AHL TV FOR MANITOBA MOOSE AWAY GAMES. Is that a new thing?

I believe they brought that in last season, as I don't recall this perk from any season before that. It was pretty decent, used it a few times. Unfortunately it didn't cover their road playoff games, but oh well.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

So lots of LA fans flying to wpg for games?

Curious to see how many opposing fans fly to wpg for games. It is an interesting location for a few days. Someone even consider it one of them more “exotic” cities in the NHL.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So lots of LA fans flying to wpg for games?

Curious to see how many opposing fans fly to wpg for games. It is an interesting location for a few days. Someone even consider it one of them more “exotic” cities in the NHL.

I'd put it at under 100 over the season, and that might be generous.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I'd put it at under 100 over the season, and that might be generous.
tourism manitoba (hopefully they have improved over the years) should really be trying to draw more hockey fans. untapped market with some potential. maybe do a short tribute each game to fans that are visiting for the visiting teams city.

winnipeg is a unique tourist location for NHL teams. it is unknown by most people which is intriguing when people are planning a trip. It does offer an interesting tourist product. people do love the city when they visit.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
We should be trying to get some southerners to come up to Winnipeg in the dead of winter - January, February - when their NHL teams come to town. Sell it as a test of their mettle and ability to withstand the physical hardship of -20 degree weather...package games with some sort of outdoor activities - skating outdoors at the Forks, dining at that outdoor restaurant at the Forks, outdoor sleigh rides, Festival du Vouyageur, sledding on those big wooden ramps at the various parks in the city.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
tourism manitoba (hopefully they have improved over the years) should really be trying to draw more hockey fans. untapped market with some potential. maybe do a short tribute each game to fans that are visiting for the visiting teams city.

winnipeg is a unique tourist location for NHL teams. it is unknown by most people which is intriguing when people are planning a trip. It does offer an interesting tourist product. people do love the city when they visit.

Speaking for myself, my decision to go to see a Jets game outside of Winnipeg wouldn't be impacted in any way at all by the home team doing a short tribute to Winnipeg or Jets fans. I think the Jets are something a tourist would want to do but I don't think they're attracting tourists on their own.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018

You can fly from Winnipeg to LA 3 times per week all year. The 2022/23 home opener happens only once.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

acemcfly

Apr 23, 2015
Haven't been on here for awhile. Couple of questions
1. Did anybody get their season ticket gift from last year

2. How the hell are we supposed to get food and drink discounts at the games if the Jets 360 app has not been released and there are no cards this year to present at the Kiosks

Really don't understand True North and their commitment to season ticket holders

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think the combination of the pandemic and upcoming recession and inflation are making it nearly impossible to measure the impact of performance and fan apathy on ticket demand.

What is clear is the organization will likely have to draw on the surplus they've accumulated over the first 8 or 9 years.

They may have to provide a bargain option over the next couple of seasons to fill up a handful of empty seats and hope they can increase revenue through merch, concessions and other ancillary revenue streams. Kind of like the cruise industry, it's better to sail full.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
They may have to provide a bargain option over the next couple of seasons to fill up a handful of empty seats and hope they can increase revenue through merch, concessions and other ancillary revenue streams. Kind of like the cruise industry, it's better to sail full.

I think it's becoming fairly clear that for all but the most high-demand games, people find the value proposition of the 300 level seats lacking. With the sightlines that those seats offer, you're better off watching at home on TV than dropping $100+ for a nosebleed.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
They need to find a way to turn these games back into the events they were when the team returned. Even if the team sucks, it is still an NHL game. This should be a big draw in a smaller city like Winnipeg with an inferiority complex and nothing else going on.

Not sure how they do it. Maybe hire some local social media influencers to hype up the games. Just making the atmosphere more open and fun should help a lot. Hard to blame people for not wanting to go with all the covid rules and it may take a while to draw them back in. A winning team would certainly help.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad