Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheRC

Dec 26, 2021
BC
Obviously!

My brother and I were not the only ones to run over to the Tavern and their ice filled beer tub right at the front door (with different selection options) to crush two quick brews during each intermission for less than the price of one warm draft that were sold in the arena concourse....

Always all about the money.....
Quick access to a urinal too-

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
They could have built their arena someplace where land is cheap and plentiful, instead of trying to shoehorn it into a postage stamp property that required tearing down an iconic landmark. Hell, U of M has so much land both the Bombers and Jets could have called it home. Imagine how convenient that would be on days when both are playing at home.
I quit going to Bomber games because of the traffic issues in and out of the property at U of M. Park and ride is a non-starter for me in -30 in the winter. I have easily taken a transit bus home from Jets games in warmer weather without any park and ride needed.

I love the location of the Jets/ Moose building. Heated indoor parking for $12 (leave my jacket in the car), other parking options such as the Radisson with a direct entrance to the game. I can be home in 12 minutes. Can also grab an uber for $15 if I have a beer downtown after the game. The Location is A1 and central to the entire city and surrounding areas in all directions.

Without the current location there is also likely no Winnipeg Jets 2.0. It was Thomson's ownership of the Eaton's property that brought him and his wealth into the TNSE fold.

The building itself has tiny narrow corridors. Not sure what the solutions may be ? Building a 2nd level concessions area over the adjoing streets so traffic can flow underneath? In seat ordering service in the lower bowl would help. I was in similar seats location as my Jets season seats in Toronto and had in seat service. It helps cut down on concession lines and people in the concessions area.

"The fortuitous selection of the Eaton's site for the new arena would lead David Thomson, Canada's wealthiest man, to become part of the True North team. In 2001, Thomson's real estate company, Osmington Inc., which owned the empty Eaton's building, would partner with True North in the development of the property. This planted the seeds of a relationship with the Chipman family that would blossom into the collaboration that would eventually bring NHL hockey back to Winnipeg. Had the arena been built anywhere else in the city, Thomson's wealth, reputation and influence would probably not have been part of the story and the return of the NHL would likely still be a dream."

Eaton's Building leaves long legacy

The location is a reason that I remain a SSH. A multitude or restaurants and places to grab a beer within short walking distance to the arena and most of it connected indoors to the building. In a sport played prrimarly in winter this is A+++

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The location of the arena is fine. The problems are that arenas and pro sports teams have been squeezing every possible dollar from the public.

Compare inflation-adjusted ticket prices over the past 60 years. They also scalp their own tickets now.

And throw in the bogus (illegal?) "convenience" fees charged on every ticket, even those purchased at the venue.

Reactions: imec and snowkiddin

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I quit going to Bomber games because of the traffic issues in and out of the property at U of M. Park and ride is a non-starter for me in -30 in the winter. I have easily taken a transit bus home from Jets games in warmer weather without any park and ride needed.

I love the location of the Jets/ Moose building. Heated indoor parking for $12 (leave my jacket in the car), other parking options such as the Radisson with a direct entrance to the game. I can be home in 12 minutes. Can also grab an uber for $15 if I have a beer downtown after the game. The Location is A1 and central to the entire city and surrounding areas in all directions.

Without the current location there is also likely no Winnipeg Jets 2.0. It was Thomson's ownership of the Eaton's property that brought him and his wealth into the TNSE fold.

The building itself has tiny narrow corridors. Not sure what the solutions may be ? Building a 2nd level concessions area over the adjoing streets so traffic can flow underneath? In seat ordering service in the lower bowl would help. I was in similar seats location as my Jets season seats in Toronto and had in seat service. It helps cut down on concession lines and people in the concessions area.

"The fortuitous selection of the Eaton's site for the new arena would lead David Thomson, Canada's wealthiest man, to become part of the True North team. In 2001, Thomson's real estate company, Osmington Inc., which owned the empty Eaton's building, would partner with True North in the development of the property. This planted the seeds of a relationship with the Chipman family that would blossom into the collaboration that would eventually bring NHL hockey back to Winnipeg. Had the arena been built anywhere else in the city, Thomson's wealth, reputation and influence would probably not have been part of the story and the return of the NHL would likely still be a dream."

Eaton's Building leaves long legacy

The location is a reason that I remain a SSH. A multitude or restaurants and places to grab a beer within short walking distance to the arena and most of it connected indoors to the building. In a sport played prrimarly in winter this is A+++
do u actually believe getting in and out of polo park was any better when going to a football game!!!???

Reactions: Moe Mantha and imec

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I just don’t see what going outside will add to the game enjoyment. Unless of course you’re a smoker.
and if u do smoke...........u shouldnt........havent read anywhere that it is conducive to a healthy lifestyle

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
and if u do smoke...........u shouldnt........havent read anywhere that it is conducive to a healthy lifestyle
For smokers (~15% of the Manitoba population), being able to go for a smoke between periods is crucial to their enjoyment of the game. I'm not sure that conceding the loss of these ticket holders was wise, especially if it means losing their ticket partners too.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
For smokers (~15% of the Manitoba population), being able to go for a smoke between periods is crucial to their enjoyment of the game. I'm not sure that conceding the loss of these ticket holders was wise, especially if it means losing their ticket partners too.
"crucial"!!??......u would think that being more healthier would enhance their enjoyment of the game

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
They can chew on some nicotine gum if they're overcome by cravings. I wouldn't know if that would affect the taste of the beers being consumed, but considering the selection available, probably couldn't make them taste worse. :laugh:

Reactions: rkp

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I know a couple of smokers who are season ticket members and several others who regularly attend games. Ive attended games with them and never once heard them complain that they cant enjoy the game because they are craving a cigarette that badly.

If you are so addicted to nicotine that going 3 hours without a cigarette makes you so miserable that you cant enjoy a hockey game, its time to start worrying about your health.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
do u actually believe getting in and out of polo park was any better when going to a football game!!!???
Old Winnipeg Arena and Winnipeg Stadium at PP certainly had more than two ways in and out. Restaurants nearby from 25 years ago like Chichis, Fingers and McDonlads. More recently, Hooters, Montanas, whatever brewhouse is over there and Moxies in the mall. I think U of M would have been a horrific site to house an NHL arena.

I don't belive the Jets ticket/attendance issues have anything to do with current arena location.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Old Winnipeg Arena and Winnipeg Stadium at PP certainly had more than two ways in and out. Restaurants nearby from 25 years ago like Chichis, Fingers and McDonlads. More recently, Hooters, Montanas, whatever brewhouse is over there and Moxies in the mall. I think U of M would have been a horrific site to house an NHL arena.

I don't belive the Jets ticket/attendance issues have anything to do with current arena location.
and yet it still took over an half hour or more to get out after a bomber game!!!!!(who is talking about the jets??)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Polo park area evolved around the arena and stadium. It was slow to empty largely because nobody directed traffic. But the free-for-all worked.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s still a shame that the helmet Pardy got nixed. That was a brilliant idea, and, in my opinion, relatively harmless. Too bad it got axed.
The crazy thing is that the fans brought the atmosphere and experience and fun to the arena for the low cost of: absolutely free. Go to a Lakers game and behold the money, time and effort they spend on enhancing the in-game experience and entertainment for fans and you'll be absolutely floored at the difference between them and TNSE's stale turkey races and fan trivia. All True North had to do was get out of the way...

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The crazy thing is that the fans brought the atmosphere and experience and fun to the arena for the low cost of: absolutely free. Go to a Lakers game and behold the money, time and effort they spend on enhancing the in-game experience and entertainment for fans and you'll be absolutely floored at the difference between them and TNSE's stale turkey races and fan trivia. All True North had to do was get out of the way...
I'd like attend a "no crap game". No fake "atmosphere", no music, no canned noise. Just honest fan noise. Like Euro sports. Songs, chants, etc.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Absolutely. If you don’t live in the SW quadrant of the city you get routed into a complete mess to drive in or out of the current stadium.

Reactions: blues10

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Absolutely. If you don’t live in the SW quadrant of the city you get routed into a complete mess to drive in or out of the current stadium.

lol...it wasn t any better at polo, believe me, I have been there to games many times there...other than for people who lived near polo......it amazing people expect to have a personal air lift from there residence to the seat in the stadium or else it too difficult or inconvenient

Reactions: Hollywood3

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Got my annual, personalized thank you letter from Chipper. He’s extra humbled and more grateful than ever that I continue to give him my money. Pretty good deal for him, as I continue to pay more for less.
Extra attention paid to assure me they remain committed to winning and that Chevy is the guy to lead us to the promised land.

At least l now I can decide on a year to year basis how grateful I am at least.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Got my annual, personalized thank you letter from Chipper. He’s extra humbled and more grateful than ever that I continue to give him my money. Pretty good deal for him, as I continue to pay more for less.
Extra attention paid to assure me they remain committed to winning and that Chevy is the guy to lead us to the promised land.

At least l now I can decide on a year to year basis how grateful I am at least.
I don't suppose he includes his email address in that letter. You know, in case season ticket holders want to express their appreciation for his efforts to him directly. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ducky10

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
lol...it wasn t any better at polo, believe me, I have been there to games many times there...other than for people who lived near polo......it amazing people expect to have a personal air lift from there residence to the seat in the stadium or else it too difficult or inconvenient
If the Bombers were serious about serving their fans they would have a fleet of helicopters at the ready.

• Haha
Reactions: rkp

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Anyone had the opportunity for a relocation?
After the 2019-20 season, we jumped at the opportunity to relocate from the loge to my man cave. Best seats in the house, a great view at a fraction of what we were paying. Top notch food, great beer selection, no lineups for the washroom, don't have to wear a mask, don't have to listen to deafening music, and I can lean forward as much as I want. Best move ever, no regrets. :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
After the 2019-20 season, we jumped at the opportunity to relocate from the loge to my man cave. Best seats in the house, a great view at a fraction of what we were paying. Top notch food, great beer selection, no lineups for the washroom, don't have to wear a mask, don't have to listen to deafening music, and I can lean forward as much as I want. Best move ever, no regrets. :laugh:
Can’t argue with the amenities. However you’re going to miss being at the live event once Trotz straightens things out!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Is there any word if True North plans on maintaining vaccination status for attendance in the fall? Because my guess is the team rarely sells out again if they do.

Reactions: Cypruss

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is there any word if True North plans on maintaining vaccination status for attendance in the fall? Because my guess is the team rarely sells out again if they do.

Unlikely that they do by this point, unless we see a big upsurge by the fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad