Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it's becoming fairly clear that for all but the most high-demand games, people find the value proposition of the 300 level seats lacking. With the sightlines that those seats offer, you're better off watching at home on TV than dropping $100+ for a nosebleed.
That may be true, but there are very significant pollution points in the data right now. The problem with that is, instead of being able to accurately demonstrate causation/ correlation, there is a high degree of speculation.

How is your theory impacted today by inflation and recession worries, and how was last year's data impacted by covid?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's becoming fairly clear that for all but the most high-demand games, people find the value proposition of the 300 level seats lacking. With the sightlines that those seats offer, you're better off watching at home on TV than dropping $100+ for a nosebleed.

My 300 level seats have excellent sight-lines.

I know that is not the case for all 300 level seats.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My 300 level seats have excellent sight-lines.

I know that is not the case for all 300 level seats.

Yep, the view from Row 1 is terrible now. :laugh:

Too soon, @cbcwpg ? ;)

They may have to provide a bargain option over the next couple of seasons
I believe they already do that. I think it's called "undercutting season ticket holders trying to resell their tickets"? :nod:

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Haven't been on here for awhile. Couple of questions
1. Did anybody get their season ticket gift from last year

2. How the hell are we supposed to get food and drink discounts at the games if the Jets 360 app has not been released and there are no cards this year to present at the Kiosks

Really don't understand True North and their commitment to season ticket holders

1. No, and I'm not confident it's coming either.
2. I know for certain concessions will already be discounted for the October 1 pre-season game, but I'd expect they will be tomorrow and October 5 as well. The Jets 360 app will probably take over and go live right before the regular season.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think the combination of the pandemic and upcoming recession and inflation are making it nearly impossible to measure the impact of performance and fan apathy on ticket demand.

What is clear is the organization will likely have to draw on the surplus they've accumulated over the first 8 or 9 years.

They may have to provide a bargain option over the next couple of seasons to fill up a handful of empty seats and hope they can increase revenue through merch, concessions and other ancillary revenue streams. Kind of like the cruise industry, it's better to sail full.
Time to bring back the 7/11 deal!

How much were those tickets? $13?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
They need to find a way to turn these games back into the events they were when the team returned. Even if the team sucks, it is still an NHL game. This should be a big draw in a smaller city like Winnipeg with an inferiority complex and nothing else going on.

Not sure how they do it. Maybe hire some local social media influencers to hype up the games. Just making the atmosphere more open and fun should help a lot. Hard to blame people for not wanting to go with all the covid rules and it may take a while to draw them back in. A winning team would certainly help.
Vancouver games atmosphere sucks as well. I find I am yawning halfway through.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Time to bring back the 7/11 deal!

How much were those tickets? $13?

7 bucks when I first started buying them :laugh:

But seriously though, Jets nosebleeds were roughly the price of a movie ticket then. Now they're like 10x give or take the cost of a movie ticket. I don't think Jets games are 10x more entertaining now than they were back then...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010

But seriously though, Jets nosebleeds were roughly the price of a movie ticket then. Now they're like 10x give or take the cost of a movie ticket. I don't think Jets games are 10x more entertaining now than they were back then...

Exactly, I'd venture the product on ice is less entertaining. I recall going and watching Tie Domi, Kris King, Dave Manson bullying guys and having fun on the ice. That was worth the price.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

But those seats in the original barn were seriously steep……. And would probably not pass safety precautions in 2000’s without seatbelts.

They could be used on off days for rock climbing training purposes!

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
But those seats in the original barn were seriously steep……. And would probably not pass safety precautions in 2000’s without seatbelts.

They could be used on off days for rock climbing training purposes!

People often reminisce about the old arena upper decks, but it was kind of scary sitting way up at the top of the south end seats behind the net (aka the 7-11 seats) There had to be close to 50 rows, it was very high, and there was nothing really to break anyone's fall if they tumbled down, although I never saw that happen :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The old arena had some terrible sightlines and steep stairways. They should've built a new one when the Jets moved from the WHA to the NHL in 1979 but that probably would've cost $150,000 or something - and if there's one thing Winnipeg is good for it's deferring low costs today to spend 100x as much tomorrow.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I’m looking to pick up four tickets for the Jets/Canucks game in Winnipeg on December 29th. Where’s the best way to buy them?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I’m looking to pick up four tickets for the Jets/Canucks game in Winnipeg on December 29th. Where’s the best way to buy them?

Go to the Jets' official website.

Click on "Tickets" and then "Seat Exchange"

Scroll down and click on : "Click here to buy seats on SeatExchange."

Choose your game.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wow. I mean, wow. Over a thousand short of capacity for a game against a hated rival on Dale Hawerchuk Night. 10 years ago, they would have been selling concourse-only tickets and had thousands more watching at the street party outside. There hasn't been a market collapse of this magnitude since the dotcom bubble burst. I expect Chipman is on the phone right now saying, "Houston, we have a problem". :nod:

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Wow. I mean, wow. Over a thousand short of capacity for a game against a hated rival on Dale Hawerchuk Night. 10 years ago, they would have been selling concourse-only tickets and had thousands more watching at the street party outside. There hasn't been a market collapse of this magnitude since the dotcom bubble burst. I expect Chipman is on the phone right now saying, "Houston, we have a problem". :nod:
And tickets were readily available for only $33 per seat. I paid twice that price for my season ticket!!!

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
To be fair it was a watered down lineup. No Sheif, Ehlers, or Connor.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I miss crushing 3 intermission drinks at shark club then making a piss river with 100 other dudes beside a dumpster in an alley then rushing back in to catch the 8 minute mark of the next period. The rink had a real energy back then.
Awesome we did the same thing but at the Met! You know, back in the day when THEY ACTUALLY LET YOU BACK INTO THE FRIGGIN BUILDING! BS

Those were the days. Freedoms get squashed.

Reactions: sipowicz

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don’t get it I was to young to get into that one! But I do know yes The husband is kinda like me and @sipowicz

Those early true north years are sorely missed! They were truly fun occasions even when the Jets sucked balls.
I've said it before: the big draw of attending a Jets game in person is primarily the fan experience, and TNSE not only did little to improve it, they weakened it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I know TN gets much heat over the cost of tickets, food and beverages ect... being very high. This survey has us 9th cheapest in the league, and second in Canada to Calgary, which is a complete sh!thole compared to our rink:

https://time2play.com/ca-en/blog/most-expensive-arenas-watch-nhl-game/

Methodology

Our “Total Costs” and “Most expensive” data came from Team Marketing Report’s (TMR) 2021-22 NHL Fan Cost Index. Our total costs consist of the Average Weighted Ticket + 2 Beers + Cheapest Hot Dog + Parking; per NHL team.

NHL-game.jpg

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

In 2011 the team payroll was approximately $50 million Canadian. This year the payroll is over $100 million Canadian. It goes without saying the NHL is a very expensive sport and ticket prices will need to keep going up. The question I have is will “enough” Winnipeger’s pay escalating NHL ticket prices long term?

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
In 2011 the team payroll was approximately $50 million Canadian. This year the payroll is over $100 million Canadian. It goes without saying the NHL is a very expensive sport and ticket prices will need to keep going up. The question I have is will “enough” Winnipeger’s pay escalating NHL ticket prices long term?
That's a very good question, and probably one of the reasons why the Jets (and other NHL teams) are going with other sources of revenue (such as the helmet and jersey ads). I'm not a season ticket holder, but I do go to games on occasion. I miss the old half price ($14) student tickets in the upper deck at the Jets 1.0 games (that takes me back). I actually don't mind paying the high prices to see the Jets play, as long as they are putting in an effort (like the pre-season home game against the Lames). But if they are going to play like they did last season, with little or no effort, why would anyone want to pay to see that? And with advertisements for season, half-season, quarter-season, and single game tickets, it looks like many fans didn't like the effort last season either. As the team goes, the fans will too. Play with apathy, and so will the fans (with closed wallets), but play with passion, and the fans will respond (especially around playoff time)! It's hard to say long term, but I doubt that Winnipeg will be the only NHL city where this will be a concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad