Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Arizona looked pretty competitive on Sunday. If they spend more than $40 million actual dollars on salary that would be a surprise.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Arizona looked pretty competitive on Sunday. If they spend more than $40 million actual dollars on salary that would be a surprise.
Well they aren't very competitive over the longer measuring stick of a regular season. That takes top players and a deep team and that costs money.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's not how deductions work. You don't get 100% of your deduction back. You just don't pay tax on the amount in question. If your marginal tax rate is, say, 30% you reduce your tax burden by 30% of the deduction. Assuming you're taxable at all.

m.
Right...I'm no accountant. So if your rate is 30%, and you can claim 50% of the ticket cost, it's not half price season tickets...more like a 15% discount.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Sounds like the Ehlers fans better get their season tickets!! In all seriousness, it’s pretty reasonable to need a full building to ice the best team we can. Is there discounted season tickets for students/ children. Seems like something that could be done, at least in the upper level.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The first step to knowing you have a problem is admitting you have a problem, is seems the Jets have acknowledged they made some mistakes in the past and will try to rectify. They have a lot of work to do but having a competitive team will help, having a deep run in the playoffs will help even more.
That's what I was thinking. A cup run (or close to it) makes every problem go away. People will come back and corporations will step up.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Well they aren't very competitive over the longer measuring stick of a regular season. That takes top players and a deep team and that costs money.
Yes, they have a chance to win every game but almost zero chance to win the Cup. Probably their are no Cup winners in the last 10 years spending at less than 95% of the Cap.

But just thing of the thrill when your podunk town team beats the Leafs or Rangers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds like the Ehlers fans better get their season tickets!! In all seriousness, it’s pretty reasonable to need a full building to ice the best team we can. Is there discounted season tickets for students/ children. Seems like something that could be done, at least in the upper level.
This is where you need to have your corporate sponsors step up. For the first few years of the Jets 2.0 Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries had about 40 tickets per game and would send a couple local kids hockey teams to the games. They would get a shout out and all the kids would stand a wave wearing their team jerseys. No reason very large and rich corporations can't do similar things.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
That's what I was thinking. A cup run (or close to it) makes every problem go away. People will come back and corporations will step up.
The atmosphere of playoff hockey is all consuming especially here with a full building inside while thousands are outside enjoying the White Out party. That's when True North needs to be ready and get businesses on board and joe fan signed up for Season tickets. It would be nice to talk about what the team did in the playoffs instead of doom and gloom.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The atmosphere of playoff hockey is all consuming especially here with a full building inside while thousands are outside enjoying the White Out party. That's when True North needs to be ready and get businesses on board and joe fan signed up for Season tickets. It would be nice to talk about what the team did in the playoffs instead of doom and gloom.
Especially if we get nice warm spring weather, then downtown comes alive and local businesses start feeling good about things.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Looks like the “fireside chat” with Sarah mediating questions from fans was separate, I hope the Jets release that footage for others to see too. The live YouTube stream was just a separate press event

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I had no issues with anything Gary said, I thought he was pragmatic and straight forward which I like.

I thought Bettman's availability was good and without any smarmy backhanded comments. He even addressed the Sword of Damocles that I referenced last week with respect to the season ticket drive from last season.

"Look at what TNSE is doing in the development area. If you think the team is in danger of leaving, you need to breathe and relax a bit."

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
They want more corporate ticket holders to get that 15% up to be comparable to the percentage in other Canadian markets. I think it was always taken out of context and wasn't about drumming up individual season ticket sales. That's why Bettman is here, to help get corporate ticket holders.
I don‘t really see how extra corporate sales won’t end up cannibalizing some of the existing individual sales, but I guess it’s not unrealistic to hope for a net increase of a couple of thousand per game while also anticipating that the end of Covid fears will get another big bunch of people back over the next year. This problem seems very solvable.

Reactions: Brominator

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I thought Bettman's availability was good and without any smarmy backhanded comments. He even addressed the Sword of Damocles that I referenced last week with respect to the season ticket drive from last season.

"Look at what TNSE is doing in the development area. If you think the team is in danger of leaving, you need to breathe and relax a bit."
it's funny because there is a winnipeg dallas fan that hates the jets has posted on the main boards a few times that jets fans exaggerate how much they own down town and claimed it was only a couple of properties

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
In my personal perspective, watching sports at home can provide a more pleasurable experience. There are no queues to the restroom, the food is more reasonably priced, there are no obstructed views, one can effortlessly switch between various games, and one does not need to be concerned about the weather conditions.

Additionally, there is no need to worry about downtown parking, exiting the arena, and for those who partake in smoking, there is easy access.

Reactions: DRW204 and Cypruss

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Yeah they did, probably desperate to not lose 12 in a row.

So he's basically saying he needs the seats full to ice a competitive team.

He's not implying the team will leave.

There was a handsome poster with a light blue name making the same point a couple of days ago ;)

Reactions: Guardian17

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
In my personal perspective, watching sports at home can provide a more pleasurable experience. There are no queues to the restroom, the food is more reasonably priced, there are no obstructed views, one can effortlessly switch between various games, and one does not need to be concerned about the weather conditions.

Additionally, there is no need to worry about downtown parking, exiting the arena, and for those who partake in smoking, there is easy access.

100% fair

I was a season ticket holder for 10 years with Jets 2.0, then decided not to renew due to split marriage and kids who just wasn't practical to take to games on week nights due to school. I absolutely would buy single games or share tickets in a group, but I have no interest in going to 40+ games per season when I have kids, career, etc.

Reactions: roccerfeller

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Did they say how ticket sales have been going? You've got to think the team winning plus their campaign is having an impact.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
it's funny because there is a winnipeg dallas fan that hates the jets has posted on the main boards a few times that jets fans exaggerate how much they own down town and claimed it was only a couple of properties
Yeah, that guy is... something. I posted the True North portfolio in that thread, not a peep from him.

Not having to hear "shoooooot!" every time they cross the blue line is reason enough to watch from home. 😁

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad