Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
There are no problems with ownership. No problems with needing a new billion dollar arena. They just gotta sell some more tickets. Not even that many more.

If you're a Jets fan or a Jets-loving business, and you can afford it, just buy some damned season tickets - a half, quarter, mini pack... whatever.
I've been in the same ticket group, same seats, since day 1 - We're doing our part.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Only just found out about these articles.

I'm really not sure what angle Chipman is going for.

Is it just to increase revenue?
Is he concerned about having to move the team?
Is it emotional manipulation just to get more people buying season tickets?

I've heard many people for years complaining about the treatment they received as season ticket holders, without much care from their reps as there was always someone else willing to buy their product.

As someone else mentioned, they should have taken action 5 years ago. But didn't do anything until it started impacting their sales.

I'm still part of the same season ticket group from 2011. And that hasn't been easy. Costs have increased steadily in all areas, including tickets. Luckily I don't have any other vices except being a Jets fan, so I've stayed, bit just barely.

I effectively have an 1/8 of a share (splitting my 1/4 season with someone I know), and if anyone were to drop out, I'm not sure I could stay in the group.

Suffice it to say, I can't do much more, and if TN is forced to move the team, so be it. I can only afford to go to a tiny number of games. And if those costs go much higher, I might need to bow out.
interesting. So what would be your breaking point. Tickets will almost always go up each year so with that in mind what would be the maximum reasonable amount they could increase each season? 3%, 5%, 7%?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
interesting. So what would be your breaking point. Tickets will almost always go up each year so with that in mind what would be the maximum reasonable amount they could increase each season? 3%, 5%, 7%?

Hard to say. I guess it depends on how much income comes in. Typically, Mrs. Jetson's and I get an increase to our salaries every year, so it's more of a balancing act of inflation on basic necessities vs. cost increases on luxury spending.

I have noticed that the past few years basic necessities seemed to consume a larger share of our household budget. I'm hoping that was just due to the recent surge of inflation and that will get slightly adjusted (appears to have already started).

I realize I haven't really answered your question, because there's too many variables to consider. I guess it's if it increases by X amount, where X > Y + Z with Y being % inflation and Z being % household income increase.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
All of this is very accurate in my opinion. Many people have also been turned off by True North's actions and will no longer support that group with their limited $$'s. I watch the players play at home on TV. I have not been to the arena for about 5 years now. Used to attend 8-10 games per year from inauguration until the winter of 2019.

To each their own. Many, many reasons for dwindling support.

Ill add, I am the VP for all my companies operations in MB & SK. We have our office in the heart of downtown, and have been located there for over 40 years. No Jets rep has ever reached out to me to inquire about my companies interest in tickets. I wouldn't buy, but reaching out to the business community would go a lot further than whining about it during an interview that many have likely never seen.
I did inquire when the marvelous announcement came in 2011 that I may be interested in a partial package and what business options may be available. I never received a response.
Oh, so your company is part of the problem. I don’t buy the excuse that 2011 is the reason for it. Sounds like a giant BS excuse when compared to other NHL markets where the corporate community actually steps up.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I miss Lawless. He had the inside scoop on the Jets with his connections. Since he left, the only scoops come from outside the market, usually Toronto.
I can't believe he's survived the desert heat. Also he was one of the local media who was saying don't hold your breath right up until the news conference...

Reactions: Section 325

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Something I've noticed about Winnipeg since moving away is just how MISERABLE its media can be. I read the local news here and it's about things that are happening in the community, new projects, government politics stuff which isn't always positive but it is what it is. Then I read the Winnipeg news and it is just so ridiculously upsetting.

It's almost as though they enjoy making an environment of unhappiness and promoting self-cannibalizing nonsense constantly.

Anybody remember how unsupportive they were before the Jets were coming back? I recall "don't hold your breath" being their main talking point. I recall the idea being almost publically mocked for ever and ever...until the Jets came back.
Yep! I remember CJOB being a negative voice every time the topic of a possible Jets return came up. I was very ticked when they got radio rights to games.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I agree, why in the hell would they come out with such an article. Especially after a "no worry article" earlier and particularly now as we are Stanley Cup possibles. STUPIDITY! A good cup performance or win would solve the problem they are barking about right now. Bad bad timing!
Freisen's stuff is such self-indulgent twaddle - sensationalist, personalized and vindictive. I read it only to gather context - eg, once or twice a year.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't think the Jets are going anywhere, they are still getting a decent amount of fans and it's been slowly getting a little better. Covid was a tough thing to get through for Winnipeg because the majority of season ticket holders were fans and not business's and people were very scared for a long time to get back into a public setting like that especially when you could just stay home and watch. True North f***ed up by taking season ticket holders for granted and now need to change the way they treat season ticket holders now and new ones in the future. I will just say this if the Jets did move and that shit show in the desert got as many chances as they have had I'm absolutely done with the NHL . I stopped watching all NHL hockey when we lost the Jets and will absolutely do it again, i didn't like doing that because i love NHL hockey but i love the Winnipeg Jets more. Just one Dude's opinion.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
This is the problem. Businesses need to step up to the plate seriously are they that cheap or are they over taxed or are their hardly any businesses in Winnipeg?

Here when the Canucks play every single bar and restaurants that have the Canucks game on are packed. They did a news story once when the Canucks don’t play their places are half empty.
Every single bar and restaurants that have the Jets game on should have season tickets.give them to your customers are prizes.
Also greed is involved with Chipman. If the Jets are losing money which imo they are not … Chipman can use it as a tax write off … right?
Majority of the US owners have a sports team as a toy it’s not their bread and butter business.
There is some public perception out there that there is somehow an overall “tax benefit” to a businessman to lose money. Let me tell you, there is ZERO benefit. Sure there are those franchise owners that will chose to weather the storm, however, count on the appreciation of the franchise value to out weigh those losses.

Reactions: roccerfeller

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
All of this is very accurate in my opinion. Many people have also been turned off by True North's actions and will no longer support that group with their limited $$'s. I watch the players play at home on TV. I have not been to the arena for about 5 years now. Used to attend 8-10 games per year from inauguration until the winter of 2019.

To each their own. Many, many reasons for dwindling support.

Ill add, I am the VP for all my companies operations in MB & SK. We have our office in the heart of downtown, and have been located there for over 40 years. No Jets rep has ever reached out to me to inquire about my companies interest in tickets. I wouldn't buy, but reaching out to the business community would go a lot further than whining about it during an interview that many have likely never seen.
I did inquire when the marvelous announcement came in 2011 that I may be interested in a partial package and what business options may be available. I never received a response.
What I’m getting from this post is that as director of a corporation which is based in our city, you’re fine with just “watching at home”. Sure that is convenient but what happens if he team leaves? The luxury option of watching your hometown team on TV, dissapears.
Nope. We are certainly not part of the problem. The very poor service and escalation of the pricing of he product by True North is the problem, their problem since they are lacking support. Our dollars are limited and now provide significant support to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers who do a vastly better job at marketing, community support, and the easiest and cheapest one - COMMUNICATION to their customers (both current and future).

Yup. Potential to happen, but I still think quite unlikely.

Bettman was never part of the problem for Jets 1.0. I have defended that point many times in the past on this board, but agree - if the worst comes to fruition - people will blindly blame him again due to their lack of knowledge of the realities of the situatio

I will say there have been some really good posts in this thread. The last one is telling that your business didn’t get a response years ago.
Chipman has already admitted that mistakes were made. They have learned from them and are now adjusting. Can’t hold that grudge forever and slam the door.

The problem is, it doesn't feel like great value for the money. I took my son to our first game in several years a couple of weeks ago. While the privilege of watching NHL hockey shouldn't be understated, spending a couple of hundred bucks on seats that can only see half the ice, then spending another $100+ for 1 craft beer, 1 Rye and coke, 1 slice of pizza, 1 bottled water, and two chicken sandwiches is ridiculous. Not to mention how unbelievably uncomfortable we were in our seats. We're two larger guys and we were jammed in between two other large guys in seats designed for Oompa-Loompas. It made for an unpleasant experience.
So go ahead and make threats, go ahead and move the team. I'll be watching from my couch from now on. I can't justify the spend anymore when the cost of everything else on the planet has skyrocketed.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The problem is, it doesn't feel like great value for the money. I took my son to our first game in several years a couple of weeks ago. While the privilege of watching NHL hockey shouldn't be understated, spending a couple of hundred bucks on seats that can only see half the ice, then spending another $100+ for 1 craft beer, 1 Rye and coke, 1 slice of pizza, 1 bottled water, and two chicken sandwiches is ridiculous. Not to mention how unbelievably uncomfortable we were in our seats. We're two larger guys and we were jammed in between two other large guys in seats designed for Oompa-Loompas. It made for an unpleasant experience.
So go ahead and make threats, go ahead and move the team. I'll be watching from my couch from now on. I can't justify the spend anymore when the cost of everything else on the planet has skyrocketed.
It’s all relative when perceiving value for money. What you consider to be value for money may not be the same for others. There is no other sports comparison in Winnipeg. This is the elite level of the game we love. Look at either elite levels of other sports in other cities and look at their ticket prices. Citizens, the corporate community, and small businesses alike have to understand that having a team in Winnipeg is a benefit to us all. The reputation and moral of this city is higher than it was prior to 2011. We have seen this city grow exponentially since the team’s return. Is this solely due to the return of the team, no, however we are all kidding ourselves if we don’t think it didn’t play a large role.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
This is not even remotely accurate. I am a fan of Fernando Alonso, in a sport that I love, which is F1. I do not nor have ever owned an Aston Martin. I haven't been to a race live for almost 10 years.

But yes, I remain a fan of Fernando Alonso and watch all the races on TV.

I am a fan of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. I am not like at all the group that owns them. Statement two does not make statement 1 incorrect. I love hockey all my life. I follow and get great enjoyment watching my local team. Yes, I am a fan.
However its attitudes like yours that threaten the team’s existence. You are clearly in a position to support the team from a corporate level. It’s an investment in our city and ultimately in your customers. IMO your outright refusal to support the team from a corporate level is short sighted. Just remember If the team leaves then your option to watch your home town team on TV, leaves with it.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Haha a little Kevin Lowe tier-two fan-shaming?

With all due respect that's ridiculous. I can call myself a Picasso fan without owning a Picasso painting or officially-licensed merch. Same with the Jets.
If someone can’t afford to go then that’s one thing. But if they can afford to go but choose to spend their entertainment dollars on something else, and have never been to a game, then no, they’re not a fan.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I hate this renewed threat coming from Chipman. He can go f*** himself.
Would you rather him say don’t worry about it, we aren’t going anywhere, and allow matters to worsen to the point where he’s left with no choice? The man is fighting for the team’s viability and existence.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
You can have any opinion that you want. I know that am not part of the problem. I have no obligation to shell out thousands of dollars to a poor organization that does not have good business practices. I am very comfortable with my decision to not pursue this course of action.

As far as business funds go - my head office, at the urging of the regional branches, have listened and have made very significant gains and focused efforts over the past 5 years into supporting financially, and in other ways, to our loyal and hard working staff. We now pay above average wages and are quite successful for a small Canadian company. It gives my staff and their families more money in THEIR pockets. Some of them choose to purchase Jets tickets - so yes, we are contributing in other ways to the Jets ticket sales it could be argued. I am not interested any longer in direct purchases from an organizational level to True North.
It sounds like you hold a personal grudge toward TNSE for whatever reason. In any event weather you choose to believe it or not, having a team in Winnipeg is crucial to our moral and reputation. When we lost the team in 1996 this city and many businesses suffered directly and indirectly for many years. When they returned we saw a resurgence and growth that hasn’t been experienced for decades. This was not a coincidence.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
If someone can’t afford to go then that’s one thing. But if they can afford to go but choose to spend their entertainment dollars on something else, and have never been to a game, then no, they’re not a fan.
In big cities, it is common for fans to only ever follow their teams on TV. In a place like New York there are probably hundreds of thousands of die hard Giants fans who have never set foot in the stadium but still follow the team religiously. Are you telling me they're not fans?

Reactions: rkp

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There are no problems with ownership. No problems with needing a new billion dollar arena. They just gotta sell some more tickets. Not even that many more.

If you're a Jets fan or a Jets-loving business, and you can afford it, just buy some damned season tickets - a half, quarter, mini pack... whatever.
I've been in the same ticket group, same seats, since day 1 - We're doing our part.
👍 Yup, even a single game. Tickets can be had for cheap....I mean, dinner for 2 at McDonald's is 25$. Surely people can afford some world class entertainment.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
In big cities, it is common for fans to only ever follow their teams on TV. In a place like New York there are probably hundreds of thousands of die hard Giants fans who have never set foot in the stadium but still follow the team religiously. Are you telling me they're not fans?

Those are big cities though. New York has an entire tri-state area of 10+ million people to pull fans from and is one of the premier cities of the world.

Places like Winnipeg don't have that luxury.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a really bad comparison. Winnipeg doesn't have 10,000,000+ fans to draw from. Winnipeg will sink or swim with locals paying for tickets to attend games. Fans come from all walks of life and some can't afford to attend games regularly, but we are now in this position now because too many of those people who can afford to attend at least some games have decided not to. If we end up losing the team, just look in the mirror if that applies to you.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
If they can easily afford to go to a game, and or buy merchandise and do not, then yes I’m telling you that they are not real fans. Simply because they don’t prioritize support of “their team”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad