Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
How the f*** have I never been suspended lol...

If I had to guess, it would probably be because I'm on so many peoples' ignore list that hardly anyone sees the stupid shit I post so it doesn't get reported
I’ve been suspended at least half a dozen times, but never more than two weeks at a time. 6 months for raideralex99. Yikes! What was deleted before I saw it I wonder 🤔

This is the main reason for not saying on here why I do not support True North any longer. Facts often get you banned 😂.

Reactions: rkp

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I’ve been suspended at least half a dozen times, but never more than two weeks at a time. 6 months for raideralex99. Yikes! What was deleted before I saw it I wonder 🤔

This is the main reason for not saying on here why I do not support True North any longer. Facts often get you banned 😂.
I left the boards during the days where people were talking about the thing that I think you're referring to. I'm guessing you and I are of like mind. My experience dealing with TNSE and that subject if a few pages back in this thread

Reactions: Cypruss

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
That’d be a lot of teams moving then. The jets seem to be weathering just fine. I’m guessing Gary is here to help drum up corporate support.

Well we aren’t currently going through a rebuild or a retool or anything resembling that. I’m not sure what we are “weathering” right now. We’re having arguably the best regular season that we’ve had in 2.0 history. And that’s what it took for the attendance to come back up to maybe “respectable” but still not sellout levels.

I think TNSE will figure this out and manage to increase the season tickets owned by businesses/corporate sector. That’s really where the attendance issues stem from. It was a byproduct of how they launched the season ticket sales in 2011 (Chipman said this himself). They didn’t have to even think about corporate season ticket percentages until recently (and why would you think of this with 10 years of sell outs and waiting lists, etc.). But now it’s become clear that it’s an issue and I believe they will successfully address it.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I left the boards during the days where people were talking about the thing that I think you're referring to. I'm guessing you and I are of like mind. My experience dealing with TNSE and that subject if a few pages back in this thread
Yup. We both always agreed with each others posts from what I recall. On that other topic and earlier in this current threads. Only a 2 week thread ban in here for answering the question about my feelings and actions taken.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I don’t think the local media’s take on some of this is helping, nor do I think it’s accurate. I watched the Dreger interview earlier in the season. I also read the Johnson article in the Athletic today. I felt a tone that was optimist, yet candid and realistic. Then the Friesen article comes out like a negative tornado with a garbage take on the whole thing, presenting a much different tone even though he didn’t even do the interview. Of course local media re-tweets the friesen article and not Johnson’s (other than Murat, he posted the Johnson article)

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
I honestly wish these articles would just go away. Chipman and Co clearly know that they messed up a bit in terms of treating their customers as well as they should have. What they need to do is continue to engage the clients that walked away and figure out how to get them back. They also need to continue to sell corporate Winnipeg on buying tickets. Keep doing that and stop having these attendance pieces get pushed out every few months.

There has been a continual uptick in attendance as the year has gone on to the point they have been pretty close to selling out the past month or so. All these pieces do is raise everyone's anxiety.
I agree, why in the hell would they come out with such an article. Especially after a "no worry article" earlier and particularly now as we are Stanley Cup possibles. STUPIDITY! A good cup performance or win would solve the problem they are barking about right now. Bad bad timing!

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
This is not even remotely accurate. I am a fan of Fernando Alonso, in a sport that I love, which is F1. I do not nor have ever owned an Aston Martin. I haven't been to a race live for almost 10 years.

But yes, I remain a fan of Fernando Alonso and watch all the races on TV.

I am a fan of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. I am not like at all the group that owns them. Statement two does not make statement 1 incorrect. I love hockey all my life. I follow and get great enjoyment watching my local team. Yes, I am a fan.
You're right. The tone of my post was stupid. There's no barrier to calling yourself a fan.

I still believe the gist of my post though. Fans who don't spend a dime on the team are like people who would say "attaboy" to a waiter. Tips work better! Or they're like my company who bragged about how we had a record year last year and offered us a thanks. A bonus would have been nice! Showing appreciation or support is always best done with money. Like others have said though, True North has a lot to answer for how the fanbase has stagnated over the last decade. They're not owed our money.

I don't know what to think about all this really. I don't think the problem is that big honestly, but then again I didn't think the problem with the Ice was as bad as it was either. The Jets aren't nearly at the spot the Ice were in a bunch of different ways but I do see some similarities. There were TONS of people I knew who asked me about the Ice and expressed low-key interest in them but never really bothered to go to the games. Not enough fan interest and we saw what happened. Winnipeg never really supported the Ice so they moved, that happens. But we DO support the Jets so I don't understand people holding out for some bizarre grudges I've heard. Someone on CJOB said he cancelled when they went away from paper tickets. Or still hearing complaints about the covid era. If you support the team, that means you gotta support the team. Not enough people do that and there will be problems. We're now at the first problem and we'll see how the city responds.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I honestly wish these articles would just go away. Chipman and Co clearly know that they messed up a bit in terms of treating their customers as well as they should have. What they need to do is continue to engage the clients that walked away and figure out how to get them back. They also need to continue to sell corporate Winnipeg on buying tickets. Keep doing that and stop having these attendance pieces get pushed out every few months.

There has been a continual uptick in attendance as the year has gone on to the point they have been pretty close to selling out the past month or so. All these pieces do is raise everyone's anxiety.

This. Totally agree. The Friesen article today (which was then re-tweeted by the local media) was aggressive and unnecessary at this stage. I also think it was a really bad take on the Johnson article, which had a much different tone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This. Totally agree. The Friesen article today (which was then re-tweeted by the local media) was aggressive and unnecessary at this stage. I also think it was a really bad take on the Johnson article, which had a much different tone.

There is a reason I don't read anything he writes. Chipman should no better then to give some of the loc media any amo by this point.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
People will support businesses that they see value in. If you want your business to be supported, provide value to customers. I'm guessing you're not a business owner.
I am a business owner. I've seen the results first hand of people taking a business for granted only to regret it once it's gone. Product support, competitive pricing and customer service has gone way down in my industry. There is also the damage to the tax base and local economy.

If people are making a decision not to support the team with their eyes wide open about the potential consequences, I can respect that. It's the people insisting that their lack of support has no consequences that bother me.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don’t think the local media’s take on some of this is helping, nor do I think it’s accurate. I watched the Dreger interview earlier in the season. I also read the Johnson article in the Athletic today. I felt a tone that was optimist, yet candid and realistic. Then the Friesen article comes out like a negative tornado with a garbage take on the whole thing, presenting a much different tone even though he didn’t even do the interview. Of course local media re-tweets the friesen article and not Johnson’s (other than Murat, he posted the Johnson article)
they get bitter that they don't get scoops, they also like to take shots at dreger because he gets inside info and they don't

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Friesen and Billeck won't be satisfied until they run the Jets and every other big business out of town . They are sad, little people.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

What do you expect when the Jets org themselves announce and promote Bettman is coming to town to talk about the state of the Jets?

Reactions: purdy44

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB

Something I've noticed about Winnipeg since moving away is just how MISERABLE its media can be. I read the local news here and it's about things that are happening in the community, new projects, government politics stuff which isn't always positive but it is what it is. Then I read the Winnipeg news and it is just so ridiculously upsetting.

It's almost as though they enjoy making an environment of unhappiness and promoting self-cannibalizing nonsense constantly.

Anybody remember how unsupportive they were before the Jets were coming back? I recall "don't hold your breath" being their main talking point. I recall the idea being almost publicly mocked for ever and ever...until the Jets came back.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Something I've noticed about Winnipeg since moving away is just how MISERABLE its media can be. I read the local news here and it's about things that are happening in the community, new projects, government politics stuff which isn't always positive but it is what it is. Then I read the Winnipeg news and it is just so ridiculously upsetting.

It's almost as though they enjoy making an environment of unhappiness and promoting self-cannibalizing nonsense constantly.

Anybody remember how unsupportive they were before the Jets were coming back? I recall "don't hold your breath" being their main talking point. I recall the idea being almost publically mocked for ever and ever...until the Jets came back.

The media here is extremely soft skinned for the most part (I think Murat excepted) and have had their feelings hurt by the org or the team in one way or another, and it bleeds into their writing. Friesen is the worst of them all for this.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Only just found out about these articles.

I'm really not sure what angle Chipman is going for.

Is it just to increase revenue?
Is he concerned about having to move the team?
Is it emotional manipulation just to get more people buying season tickets?

I've heard many people for years complaining about the treatment they received as season ticket holders, without much care from their reps as there was always someone else willing to buy their product.

As someone else mentioned, they should have taken action 5 years ago. But didn't do anything until it started impacting their sales.

I'm still part of the same season ticket group from 2011. And that hasn't been easy. Costs have increased steadily in all areas, including tickets. Luckily I don't have any other vices except being a Jets fan, so I've stayed, but just barely.

I effectively have an 1/8 of a share (splitting my 1/4 season with someone I know), and if anyone were to drop out, I'm not sure I could stay in the group.

Suffice it to say, I can't do much more, and if TN is forced to move the team, so be it. I can only afford to go to a tiny number of games. And if those costs go much higher, I might need to bow out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad