Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I know what is going to happen. The team will struggle financially for years. Winnipegers will continue to ignore warnings to support them. The lack of support will be totally justified and everyone's fault but their own.

Eventually the team will be sold to be moved. Winnipegers will have a big rally at The Forks to show how much they love the Jets and how much support they have. The loss of the Jets will be due to Bettman, greedy ownership, etc. and again everyone's fault but their own.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Your company is part of the problem though if they still wouldn't consider buying season tickets now.
Nope. We are certainly not part of the problem. The very poor service and escalation of the pricing of he product by True North is the problem, their problem since they are lacking support. Our dollars are limited and now provide significant support to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers who do a vastly better job at marketing, community support, and the easiest and cheapest one - COMMUNICATION to their customers (both current and future).

I know what is going to happen. The team will struggle financially for years. Winnipegers will continue to ignore warnings to support them. The lack of support will be totally justified and everyone's fault but their own.

Eventually the team will be sold to be moved. Winnipegers will have a big rally at The Forks to show how much they love the Jets and how much support they have. The loss of the Jets will be due to Bettman, greedy ownership, etc. and again everyone's fault but their own.
Yup. Potential to happen, but I still think quite unlikely.

Bettman was never part of the problem for Jets 1.0. I have defended that point many times in the past on this board, but agree - if the worst comes to fruition - people will blindly blame him again due to their lack of knowledge of the realities of the situation.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

yup just sell the team now and get it over with

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I honestly wish these articles would just go away. Chipman and Co clearly know that they messed up a bit in terms of treating their customers as well as they should have. What they need to do is continue to engage the clients that walked away and figure out how to get them back. They also need to continue to sell corporate Winnipeg on buying tickets. Keep doing that and stop having these attendance pieces get pushed out every few months.

There has been a continual uptick in attendance as the year has gone on to the point they have been pretty close to selling out the past month or so. All these pieces do is raise everyone's anxiety.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005

Cool story, Steve.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Nope. We are certainly not part of the problem. The very poor service and escalation of the pricing of he product by True North is the problem, their problem since they are lacking support. Our dollars are limited and now provide significant support to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers who do a vastly better job at marketing, community support, and the easiest and cheapest one - COMMUNICATION to their customers (both current and future).

Yup. Potential to happen, but I still think quite unlikely.

Bettman was never part of the problem for Jets 1.0. I have defended that point many times in the past on this board, but agree - if the worst comes to fruition - people will blindly blame him again due to their lack of knowledge of the realities of the situation.

You can deny it all you want. But businesses like yours are indeed part of the problem.

It doesn't matter how customer service has been in the past, and the fact that your company hasn't been contacted by True North before and had the red carpet rolled out. Having the Winnipeg Jets in Winnipeg is good for business. End of story, and it should be supported as such.

Bombers season tickets can be had from $250-$500 per year. Any 15 year old kid with a part time job can afford bush league CFL season tickets. It's a semi-pro game.

As you said your businesses funds are limited, so it sounds like your business obviously doesn't have the financial means to purchase Jets season tickets.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They own a modern, paid-off arena (and all attendant revenue streams) that was financed when interest rates were around 0.5% - and if that weren't enough, the mortgage was paid by government tax breaks and refunds (to the tune of about $12M/year). They also operate a franchise in a hard-cap pro sports league with a guaranteed 50-50 player/owner revenue split and significant leaguewide revenue sharing (playoffs, merch, national TV deals, etc.). On top of all that, the co-owner of TNSE is worth billions and seems quite invested in the idea of NHL hockey in Winnipeg. To top it all off, the team is worth 10 times what they paid for it in 2011 (Sens just sold for $950M USD = $1.25B CAD).
Everyone relax...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
chris johnston on wst said that he doesn't think the jets are in danger, he thinks they are in the stage before a problem, this is the warning before something gets really bad, he doesn't think they are at really bad

The warning should be to them as an org to treat their clients better and offer superior service then what they have in the past. Chipman has admitted in each of the last few pieces that they have messed up in various ways. Ala not being good as a service org and admitted that threatening season ticket renewal add was maybe not in the best taste.

The improvement needs to come from them. They need beef up their sales and corporate relations departments and continue to work at brining people back. They sat on their hands for a decade and where caught with their pants down the last year. As mentioned in another post, stop with thesr articles and take the data you have and work your ass off at making things right with the prior customers you pissed off.

Everyone relax...

Agreed, also all of their subsequent retail and other revenue streams are tied to having an anchor NHL anchor tenant.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Bombers season tickets can be had from $250-$500 per year. Any 15 year old kid with a part time job can afford bush league CFL season tickets. It's a semi-pro game.
That is incorrect.

"Semi-professional sports are sports in which athletes are not participating on a full-time basis, but still receive some payment. "

CFL players are full time professional athletes.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
That is incorrect.

"Semi-professional sports are sports in which athletes are not participating on a full-time basis, but still receive some payment. "

CFL players are full time professional athletes.

That's the part you nitpick? lol.

The CFL is a second tier league to the NFL...

While the Jets play in the NHL, one of the big-4 major professional sports leagues in the world.

Reactions: JetsNut

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Chipman isn't doing anything with the team until he gets a cut of the sweet expansion money coming in the next few years. I see no need to panic he has all sorts of revenue streams with ticket sales being a slice of it coming to him and all are interconnected.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
You can deny it all you want. But businesses like yours are indeed part of the problem.

It doesn't matter how customer service has been in the past, and the fact that your company hasn't been contacted by True North before and had the red carpet rolled out. Having the Winnipeg Jets in Winnipeg is good for business. End of story, and it should be supported as such.

As you said your businesses funds are limited, so it sounds like your business obviously doesn't have the financial means to purchase Jets season tickets.
You can have any opinion that you want. I know that am not part of the problem. I have no obligation to shell out thousands of dollars to a poor organization that does not have good business practices. I am very comfortable with my decision to not pursue this course of action.

As far as business funds go - my head office, at the urging of the regional branches, have listened and have made very significant gains and focused efforts over the past 5 years into supporting financially, and in other ways, to our loyal and hard working staff. We now pay above average wages and are quite successful for a small Canadian company. It gives my staff and their families more money in THEIR pockets. Some of them choose to purchase Jets tickets - so yes, we are contributing in other ways to the Jets ticket sales it could be argued. I am not interested any longer in direct purchases from an organizational level to True North.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think TNSE needs to take a look at themselves and figure out how they managed to alienate so many loyal fans over the course of a decade. 13000 people put down deposits and signed multi-year commitments for tens of thousands of dollars in 2011...plus thousands more on a paid waiting list. Just over a decade later, TNSE is bringing in Gary Bettman to threaten us...

Depends who you mean by "us" . I honestly don't think Bettman nor TNSE are looking to threaten the individual or group that has tickets or had tickets, and IMO that's because they know where the problem lies... and that is in the business community,

The numbers don't lie. When you look at other cities in Canada, they ALL have a higher rate of businesses owning tickets, and it's probably even higher in the big markets in the US. This isn't to blame the businesses because they have their reasons for not owning tickets, but that support needs to be there, and it's not where it needs to be in this market.

I do blame TNSE for a large part of this because they messed up with the initial drive to 13,000. TNSE opened the drive to 13,000 to initially Moose ticket holders ( that's how I got in the NHL door ) and then opened it up to anyone with a phone. That was a HUGE mistake.

The ticket drive should have gone to the business community first to get them on board, then Moose ticket holders for the small loyalty market, and then everyone else. Going to the businesses first would have gotten those in the door as STHs, and they would have been STHs for the Jets first 8 or 9 years and then when the economy went bad, some would have left, but a lot of them would have stayed on just to keep the support. Because of the way TNSE did the ticket drive, a lot of businesses that wanted tickets were shutout, and now that TNSE needs them to step up, they aren't in a good position because of the economy or just don't see the need because no one from TNSE ever approached them.

Regardless of all the reasons.... If the Jets had the same corporate support for purchasing tickets as the other Canadian markets, we wouldn't even be talking about this issue.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
That's the part you nitpick? lol.

The CFL is a second tier league to the NFL...

While the Jets play in the NHL, one of the big-4 major professional sports leagues in the world.
Wrong again. The four biggest pro sports leagues in the world by revenue are 1. the NFL, 2. MLB, 3. NBA, 4. Premier League.

If you had said "in North America" then I'd have agreed.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Depends who you mean by "us" . I honestly don't think Bettman nor TNSE are looking to threaten the individual or group that has tickets or had tickets, and IMO that's because they know where the problem lies... and that is in the business community,

The numbers don't lie. When you look at other cities in Canada, they ALL have a higher rate of businesses owning tickets, and it's probably even higher in the big markets in the US. This isn't to blame the businesses because they have their reasons for not owning tickets, but that support needs to be there, and it's not where it needs to be in this market.

I do blame TNSE for a large part of this because they messed up with the initial drive to 13,000. TNSE opened the drive to 13,000 to initially Moose ticket holders ( that's how I got in the NHL door ) and then opened it up to anyone with a phone. That was a HUGE mistake.

The ticket drive should have gone to the business community first to get them on board, then Moose ticket holders for the small loyalty market, and then everyone else. Going to the businesses first would have gotten those in the door as STHs, and they would have been STHs for the Jets first 8 or 9 years and then when the economy went bad, some would have left, but a lot of them would have stayed on just to keep the support. Because of the way TNSE did the ticket drive, a lot of businesses that wanted tickets were shutout, and now that TNSE needs them to step up, they aren't in a good position because of the economy or just don't see the need because no one from TNSE ever approached them.

Regardless of all the reasons.... If the Jets had the same corporate support for purchasing tickets as the other Canadian markets, we wouldn't even be talking about this issue.
Yes, the Drive to 13000 heavily skewed season ticket ownership in favor of individuals over businesses - but that was in 2011. They've had nearly 13 years to address the imbalance, but they felt they didn't have to do anything because they had a locked-in season ticket base with a long waiting list.

The waiting list pretty well evaporated by the summer of 2019 - coinciding with the end of the 2nd 4-year term for P3s and also a bunch of P4s and P5s came up for renewal that summer as well. I pointed this out on here in the summer of 2018 - so nearly 5 years ago. If I could see the end of the honeymoon coming, why couldn't TNSE? They should've had a plan to push those tickets on corps, or a big retention strategy for existing STHs. It doesn't really matter who's buying the tickets - individuals or businesses - as long as somebody's buying them.

Anyway, the time to beef up sales - and especially corporate sales - was 5 years ago...not scrambling around now in the midst of Bettman's ominous portents of a dark future for the team if we (or local businesses) don't answer the bell.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

So if a restaurant that serves overpriced, shitty foods with terrible service goes out of business... it's the public's fault for not wanting to dine there?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed, Bettman isn't hear to threaten the fans. He's here to schmooze with the business community to try to sell them on buying tickets. He's been brought in by other Canadian team owners at various times to push agendas. Most recently with the two Alberta teams owners to advance their arena projects.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
So if a restaurant that serves overpriced, shitty foods with terrible service goes out of business... it's the public's fault for not wanting to dine there?
If people don't support a business it will close and anyone who wants to go there won't be able to. Whose fault it is is irrelevant to that reality.

I'm surprised there are so many posters on a Jets fan board who are so indifferent to the continued existence of the Jets in Winnipeg. Why follow the team if you don't care if it exists?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wow social media is going nuts on this story.
Who broke this story anyways ... Leafs d**k s****** Chris Johnston?
You would figure he would be talking about the Stanley Cup parade in Toronto with MVP Austin Matthews.
No he has to break a negative story on the Jets so more players put Winnipeg on the NTC ... I sure hope this story doesn't effect the Jets play or impacts Chevy's trades.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
If people don't support a business it will close and anyone who wants to go there won't be able to. Whose fault it is is irrelevant to that reality.

I'm surprised there are so many posters on a Jets fan board who are so indifferent to the continued existence of the Jets in Winnipeg. Why follow the team if you don't care if it exists?

I like the team, I go to games, watch them on TV and buy merch. But it's just entertainment, it's not a matter of life and death to me. I will not allow myself to be emotionally manipulated into anything.

Reactions: raideralex99

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed, Bettman isn't hear to threaten the fans. He's here to schmooze with the business community to try to sell them on buying tickets. He's been brought in by other Canadian team owners at various times to push agendas. Most recently with the two Alberta teams owners to advance their arena projects.
"Loveable and charismatic Gary Bettman will win them over!" - TNSE Corporate Sales :sarcasm:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Wow social media is going nuts on this story.
Who broke this story anyways ... Leafs d**k s****** Chris Johnston?
You would figure he would be talking about the Stanley Cup parade in Toronto with MVP Austin Matthews.
No he has to break a negative story on the Jets so more players put Winnipeg on the NTC ... I sure hope this story doesn't effect the Jets play or impacts Chevy's trades.
Does HF censor the term "deck scrubber"?

People will support businesses that they see value in. If you want your business to be supported, provide value to customers. I'm guessing you're not a business owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad