Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Man I watched a lot of hockey in those upper decks. Me and a buddy would always get a beer right before they closed with 10 minutes so we could wait out the crowd let it empty thus skipping the rush to leave.

So one night were finishing up our beers nobody else around and John Feguson left his private box and is walking along the catwalk and my buddy let's out a whoop and yells Fergie then proceeds to give him a one man standing ovation. Fergie cool as a cucumber nods and gives him a thumbs up. Highlite of my buddies year. Man I laugh everytime I think of it.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The old barn was larger than life for me. I grew up watching games there and it seemed like the best place in the world.

It kind of was. If I could matrix I'd visit my memories of going to the games with my Mom.

I can relate to this. The feeling I felt those first few times back in the 80s of walking from the concourse into the main arena was just epic. I'd love to feel that high again haha

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Looking at the schedule ahead. I know this is hard to predict, but I have nothing better to do :D.

Saturday January 27th (TOR) - Probably Sell Out
Saturday February 10th (PIT) - Probably sell Out
Wed Feb 14 (SJ) - 12-14K
Tue Feb 20 (MIN) - 12-14K
Sun Feb 25 (ARI) - 13-15K
Tues Feb 27 (St.L) - 12-14K
Tues Mar 5 (SEA) - 12-14K
Mon Mar 11 (WSH) - 12-14K
Wed Mar 13 (NSH) - 12-14K
Fri Mar 15 (Ana) - Probably sell out
Tue Mar 26 (EDM) - 13-15K
Thu March 28th (VGS) - Probably sell out
Sat Mar 30th (OTT) - Probably sell out?
Mon April 1 (LAK) - 12-14K
Thu April 4 (CGY) - 12-14K
Tue April 16 (SEA) - 12-14K
Thu April 18 (VAN) - 12-14K

So, I think we are looking at an average attendance of between 13-14K, which will be less than last year. Last year was slightly above 14K.

I think even if we sell out all the remaining home games the average attendance will be less than 14K.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Looking at the schedule ahead. I know this is hard to predict, but I have nothing better to do :D.

Saturday January 27th (TOR) - Probably Sell Out
Saturday February 10th (PIT) - Probably sell Out
Wed Feb 14 (SJ) - 12-14K
Tue Feb 20 (MIN) - 12-14K
Sun Feb 25 (ARI) - 13-15K
Tues Feb 27 (St.L) - 12-14K
Tues Mar 5 (SEA) - 12-14K
Mon Mar 11 (WSH) - 12-14K
Wed Mar 13 (NSH) - 12-14K
Fri Mar 15 (Ana) - Probably sell out
Tue Mar 26 (EDM) - 13-15K
Thu March 28th (VGS) - Probably sell out
Sat Mar 30th (OTT) - Probably sell out?
Mon April 1 (LAK) - 12-14K
Thu April 4 (CGY) - 12-14K
Tue April 16 (SEA) - 12-14K
Thu April 18 (VAN) - 12-14K

So, I think we are looking at an average attendance of between 13-14K, which will be less than last year. Last year was slightly above 14K.
Not many Saturday games.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Does anyone know how TNSE is doing selling season tickets? Rebuilding the season ticket holder base is obviously the solution to attendance issues, but I haven't noticed many targeted campaigns in that area. I wonder if they are quietly targetting the business community first before appealing to the general public.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
^ their main goal is the corporate ST base so most likely they are quietly targeting the business community.

Unfortunately we won’t see the fruits of that work until next season or the one after … but I’m sure it will come. I don’t think the avg joe Jets fans is the issue….Times are tough, worldwide for sports, it’s not just nhl hockey in winnipeg that isn’t filling the rink. Winnipeg is a fair bit bigger than it was in 2011 too…~150k-ish new people in the cma is a lot of people by Canadian standards - the point being it’s not attracting the average person to the ST base where the priority is (although TN is trying to get newcomers interested in the product)

Winnipeg has, on paper, enough corporations that can and should be able to double their 15% STH base at the very least, and my own armchair expectation is even 25-35% boost for next year. Going from say 15 to 20-25% corp STH base is solid, and continue to build on that the next year to push it up even higher; They’re looking for stable STHs…. There will be a time when avg joe Jets fans will have more disposable income, it’s just that time isn’t really right now. Even in “affluent” greater Vancouver or Toronto right now you are seeing peoples debt racking up left right and center and inflation, interest etc taking its toll and tighter spending as a result.

Ultimately revenue is the big thing. Yes they’re going to be missing out on millions over the course of a season from the empty seats but it’s not like tickets are cheap to begin with (still firmly in league average) and TN has all their ancillary sources of revenue as well. I’m not super up to date on it myself but with those additional sources they kind of offset the losses. Then there’s the playoff factor - playoff games alone can go a long way regarding the financial doldrums, so to speak. Ongoing population growth, over the next decade there will be corporate growth too… I’m pretty confident they will be fine in the long run.

Doesn’t mean TN doesn’t have to improve their STH experience or game day production or customer service etc - that is all aside to solely increasing the corporate ticket base and having ongoing viability while losing $$ from lost butts in seats

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I will say, in terms of game-day bathroom experience, its much better now than in 2011, where I actually scanned out to go to Portage Place to pee at intermission.
This is the one advantage of being a woman at sports events haha. My memories of my lone Jets game nine years ago are getting fuzzy, but I do remember somewhat smugly walking past a giant mens queue to get to the ladies and being back in my seat in plenty of time for the 3rd. :D

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Does anyone know how TNSE is doing selling season tickets? Rebuilding the season ticket holder base is obviously the solution to attendance issues, but I haven't noticed many targeted campaigns in that area. I wonder if they are quietly targetting the business community first before appealing to the general public.
Was talking to a friend yesterday and his company he works for had a box, suite and they no longer have it because their price for the suite went up 75,000 dollars to renew. That's a huge increase and they said thanks but no thanks.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
^ their main goal is the corporate ST base so most likely they are quietly targeting the business community.

Unfortunately we won’t see the fruits of that work until next season or the one after … but I’m sure it will come. I don’t think the avg joe Jets fans is the issue….Times are tough, worldwide for sports, it’s not just nhl hockey in winnipeg that isn’t filling the rink. Winnipeg is a fair bit bigger than it was in 2011 too…~150k-ish new people in the cma is a lot of people by Canadian standards - the point being it’s not attracting the average person to the ST base where the priority is (although TN is trying to get newcomers interested in the product)

Winnipeg has, on paper, enough corporations that can and should be able to double their 15% STH base at the very least, and my own armchair expectation is even 25-35% boost for next year. Going from say 15 to 20-25% corp STH base is solid, and continue to build on that the next year to push it up even higher; They’re looking for stable STHs…. There will be a time when avg joe Jets fans will have more disposable income, it’s just that time isn’t really right now. Even in “affluent” greater Vancouver or Toronto right now you are seeing peoples debt racking up left right and center and inflation, interest etc taking its toll and tighter spending as a result.

Ultimately revenue is the big thing. Yes they’re going to be missing out on millions over the course of a season from the empty seats but it’s not like tickets are cheap to begin with (still firmly in league average) and TN has all their ancillary sources of revenue as well. I’m not super up to date on it myself but with those additional sources they kind of offset the losses. Then there’s the playoff factor - playoff games alone can go a long way regarding the financial doldrums, so to speak. Ongoing population growth, over the next decade there will be corporate growth too… I’m pretty confident they will be fine in the long run.

Doesn’t mean TN doesn’t have to improve their STH experience or game day production or customer service etc - that is all aside to solely increasing the corporate ticket base and having ongoing viability while losing $$ from lost butts in seats
I think I have to disagree with this somewhat.

I was a half season ticket holder from 2011 to 2023 (when I moved to Calgary). I've only watched games on TV since, but a thing that continues to be a trend since the pandemic is a large percentage of the empty seats being in the upper deck, not the lower bowl. There were very few visible empty seats in the lower bowl (corporate heavy area) for this most recent game against the Islanders but, when the upper deck was shown, there were pretty significant areas of empty seats. The attendance was something around 12,500?

I think this attendance problem is more to do with True North alienating the average Joe season ticket holders by taking them for granted. I loved my season tickets but I can't recall getting much in terms of "perks" or much engagement. Also, the in-game presentation from game to game was almost identical so it wore a bit thin after a while. You could almost have the order of songs played memorized, which promotions would happen when, and etcetera. I was never terribly bothered by these things, but there were many other people that certainly were.

I think a lot of people got used to the idea of tickets being very difficult to come by and games automatically selling out so they became used to not going to games.

The attendance problem can probably be fixed fairly soon because Winnipeg loves the Jets, but we will need to see the organization put in the effort.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Was talking to a friend yesterday and his company he works for had a box, suite and they no longer have it because their price for the suite went up 75,000 dollars to renew. That's a huge increase and they said thanks but no thanks.
My company did the same thing, they dumped their box, but still bought season tickets, which they have now given up since Covid. Worldwide company policy has changed to no freebies for clients. At least I benefited before the policy change...

Reactions: Jets 31

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Totally. Those that remember the polo park days know better. Long winter walks past ellice to find your car. Stopping to warm up was the only thing keeping Chi-Chis in business!
Man - back in the day my family lived in River Heights - but if you took the rail bridge it was only like a 15-20 minute walk to and from the arena.

I don't want to pretend I was a regular there, but probably 1-2x per season I'd get tickets and go. But let me tell ya that 15 minutes walk could be pretty damn cold at the wrong time of year!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Man - back in the day my family lived in River Heights - but if you took the rail bridge it was only like a 15-20 minute walk to and from the arena.

I don't want to pretend I was a regular there, but probably 1-2x per season I'd get tickets and go. But let me tell ya that 15 minutes walk could be pretty damn cold at the wrong time of year!
I also grew up in River Heights and made the trek across the rail bridge. I went to about 10 - 15 games a season in my teen age years during the Jets 1.0 era. Sometimes with the cheap McDonalds seats, but more often then not through a side door casually opened by a security guard at a set time through arrangements of one of my buddies with a family connection. We paid off at $5 per person, but we had to keep the group small enough not to be too noticeable. We just went to seats we knew would be empty and then move down at the 1st intermission to the best seats we saw. Watched more than a few games from the Reds close to rink side (the last 2 periods anyways) :laugh:.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I also grew up in River Heights and made the trek across the rail bridge. I went to about 10 - 15 games a season in my teen age years during the Jets 1.0 era. Sometimes with the cheap McDonalds seats, but more often then not through a side door casually opened by a security guard at a set time through arrangements of one of my buddies with a family connection. We paid off at $5 per person, but we had to keep the group small enough not to be too noticeable. We just went to seats we knew would be empty and then move down at the 1st intermission to the best seats we saw. Watched more than a few games from the Reds close to rink side (the last 2 periods anyways) :laugh:.
This is like Winnipeg Goodfellas... :laugh:

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Back in high school, my father and I would go to roughly half Jets home games when I wasn't playing hockey on one of the Jets game nights. We'd go to McDonald's, get the deal where we'd buy a hamburger and coke and get a ticket to the next Jets game for $6. We'd sit up in the nosebleeds in the 1st, scout out a couple empty seats down near the glass, go down and out the side door with 3 minutes left in the 1st, run across the Polo Park lot to the the McDonalds on St. James, repeat our burger, drink and $6 ticket for the next game.
We'd sit near ice level for periods 2 and 3 and repeat for half the home games when we could make it. 20 games for $120 each, rinkside seats.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Yes you can park anywhere.
Parkades are mostly linked by skywalk.
They ain’t cheap and neither are the tickets.
Sip isn’t wrong about long hikes to some surface lots.
The arena itself is “ tight “
The seats are tight, legroom even for small people like myself is tight.
The concourse is not enjoyable at intermission.
TNSE wants their cake and eat it too.
I feel bad for the die hard STH in all this.
I guess we’ll find out in time if this really is a real NHL market.
Lots of gloating in the beginning , not so much now.
Like I said, price categories and options of all sorts for parking. Seat widths are on par with most markets. Even Edmonton’s new arena lower bowl is the same. Concourse improvements have been made now that Moxies is gone. I am a die hard STH and I shall continue to gloat.

You must be new to Winnipeg. A Winnipegger's god given right is free parking right outside the front door. :D
Born and bred here. I know where you’re coming from.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am at a distance, but this seems to encapsulate the problem that TNSE has created for itself imho. Got piggish, forced Screw You pricing onto people and businesses. Then, when customers have had enough and walk away, create a marketing plan that is based upon an ultimatum. Or at least comes across that way. I hope they recognize the error of their ways and restructure things to bring back the crowds and corporate interest. I know it is a balancing act, but that much unsold capacity has broader effects on the experience too.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Like I said, price categories and options of all sorts for parking. Seat widths are on par with most markets. Even Edmonton’s new arena lower bowl is the same. Concourse improvements have been made now that Moxies is gone. I am a die hard STH and I shall continue to gloat.

Born and bred here. I know where you’re coming from.
Seat widths here are the tightest in the league. 17 inches for standard seats vs. 19 inches almost everywhere else including Edmonton. Club seats here are 19 inches vs. 21 inches almost everywhere else including Edmonton. I have also read that suite seats in some (or most?) places are 22 inches. Ours are 19 inches.

Outside of maybe Calgary we that the most cramped lower bowl seats in the NHL.

Damn that is a significant increase. I wonder if the previous price they paid was locked in for several years, hence the huge increase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad