Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's even worse at the movies. Went out to a show with friends recently and I was shocked at how much popcorn and a soda cost. Admittedly, it had been a while since I'd gone to the movies on my own dime, but I can't believe people regularly shell out that much money. From here on, I'm telling future dates (if I ever get one) that I don't need anything from the concessions.

To add to the cost offence, the movie sucked.

Yeah it's something like 20 bucks for a couple of pops and a popcorn.... it's why I don't generally buy food at events.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
It's even worse at the movies. Went out to a show with friends recently and I was shocked at how much popcorn and a soda cost. Admittedly, it had been a while since I'd gone to the movies on my own dime, but I can't believe people regularly shell out that much money. From here on, I'm telling future dates (if I ever get one) that I don't need anything from the concessions.

What was the movie?

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Bring your own pop and junk to the movies. Popcorn I make an exception for.

As other people have said, bring your own empty plastic water bottle to the game. You can usually sneak in some junk food as well.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I don't understand the hatred towards Chipman either.
Actually I take that back.... it's a Winnipeg thing to bitch about everything. I've been to games in other cities and they aren't giving beer, food, parking away either. We have the NHL in Winnipeg people! Enjoy the fact you get to see the best players in the world without having to travel to another city. Also I for one take great pride in seeing Winnipeg listed in sports news across North America....that bit of prestige having a major league team is priceless.
Love this post...

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg

Haven’t been to a movie since 1979. 😄

Reactions: GNP and macmaroon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Chipman interview with Dreger was very good... much better tone than TNSE's previous communications on the point. Chipman is a good man, he is a businessman but he has the interests of the community at heart and it shows. He is the polar opposite of guys like Melnyk and some of the bad owners the NHL has had over the years.

Honestly TNSE should have started with having Chipman talk about this instead of going with the cringeworthy Forever Winnipeg PR campaign.

I am happy to hear this. I will have to look up the interview then weigh in.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I'm quite sure the prices are equal to, greater than and maybe even lower depending on the venue - interesting that one source has us pegged as the 5th most expensive arena in the league. Second, we're not the only franchise with an attendance problem - prices of concessions should perhaps be reviewed "across the board". BTW, I attend every Bombers game - I'm not happy with their drink prices either and rarely buy a drink - that's unrealized revenue to the club.

Probably better described as unrealized sales volume. If they lowered the price to the level that would get you to buy a drink, they'd lose the big margin they're currently making on the drinks they do sell.

The reality is that the team (Jets) has to extract a certain amount of revenue from the fans. There may well be emotionally compelling reasons that it's not possible to do that right now (people are hurting financially, people are still wary of Covid, and so forth - all quite understandable), but over the long haul, they either get that revenue or the business fails. I expect that if anyone can get the team back to where they need to be, it is True North. But they still do have to get there and that means that somebody or other has to be found who will cough up big-league bucks to watch the games.

Reactions: GNP and imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably better described as unrealized sales volume. If they lowered the price to the level that would get you to buy a drink, they'd lose the big margin they're currently making on the drinks they do sell.

The reality is that the team (Jets) has to extract a certain amount of revenue from the fans. There may well be emotionally compelling reasons that it's not possible to do that right now (people are hurting financially, people are still wary of Covid, and so forth - all quite understandable), but over the long haul, they either get that revenue or the business fails. I expect that if anyone can get the team back to where they need to be, it is True North. But they still do have to get there and that means that somebody or other has to be found who will cough up big-league bucks to watch the games.
More goods sold at a lower price can result in the same (or greater) overall profit and at the same time can encourage more ticket sales.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
All this concession talk reminds me of this photo of the concession prices at the Oilers arena that went viral a year or so ago.

EBBE13D5-5E3A-4D57-8B40-27446C4C2389.jpeg

$55 for two burgers, two bags of chips and two fountain drinks is actually hilarious.

Attachments

• 33ACAB5C-CCCB-4E71-B23A-195F5F61118F.png
    33ACAB5C-CCCB-4E71-B23A-195F5F61118F.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 1

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
More goods sold at a lower price can result in the same (or greater) overall profit and at the same time can encourage more ticket sales.
Maybe they need to bring in "dynamic pricing" for concessions, too.

DYNAMIC PRICING
As such, ticket prices for certain food and beverages may change without notice, based on factors such as real-time supply and demand, opponent, day of the week, time of season or promotional giveaways.

:sarcasm:

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
All this concession talk reminds me of this photo of the concession prices at the Oilers arena that went viral a year or so ago.

View attachment 758881

$55 for two burgers, two bags of chips and two fountain drinks is actually hilarious.
Whats crazy about this is combo 5 is just combo 2 x2 with chips. so if you double combo 5 price to $44, you're paying $11 for two small bags of chips lol. Amazing.

None

Feb 22, 2012

View attachment 758881

Yeah, maybe we should be looking at things like this and questioning the logic behind a couple of frozen burgers on a factory made bun and a couple of fountain drinks for $55 after paying for the entrance fee in the ticket and not handwaving it away as "these are big league prices." :laugh:

I know Canada Life Center's prices aren't quite as extreme as Rogers Place but breaking it down

Sysco's* prices for that 2 burger combo:
0.20/slice American cheese = $0.40
1.04 6oz 80/20 Fresh beef patty = $2.08 (Might be double 4oz patties (0.84/patty), hard to tell from the image)
0.94 Artisanal Ciabatta bun = $1.88 (Probably being generous using this and not the $0.40 hamburger roll)
0.08 Burger spread = $0.16 (10ml Heinz ketchup = 0.03, 10ml Hellmans Mayo = 0.05)
0.09 Lettuce = $0.18

Wholesale price of lettuce is $2/kg, McDonalds puts 28g of lettuce on a Big Mac according to google so using that as a price + amount gives 35 portions per $2 or 0.057/serving, assuming 30% waste would put it around $0.09/serving.

The chips are about $0.30/bag wholesale in 104*28g portions
Soda comes in 5 gallon bag-in-box systems to be portioned 1:5, syrup to water. I think the menu says 20oz so ~600ml or 100ml syrup/portion. Each box is around $90-100 CAD for an average plebeian to buy. It's about 19L per bag so 190 portions per $100 at plebeian non-wholesale price for Coke/Pepsi. So $0.19/portion for the soda and 1000 Solo brand wax coated, biodegradable cups is about $250 Canadian or about $0.25/cup.

$1.50 for the drinks + chips
$4.70 for the burgers
$6.30 total food cost, or nearly 90% gross revenue at $55 :laugh: (Not profit to be clear)

Prices are from an American Sysco list so I converted the price from USD to CAD. For the cheese I basically just doubled the price from 0.09 USD/slice because price controls/standards are higher for cheese in Canada.

You could probably get away with tacking on a $2 increase to every ticket and just cutting the margin on food to be more in line with what you'd pay around the arena, or even lower because being honest the arena's food is not great. The customer would probably be happier at the end of the game not getting gouged on food and you'd probably have more people actually eating.
More butts in seats with a higher percentage eating at games could bring in similar revenue :dunno:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, maybe we should be looking at things like this and questioning the logic behind a couple of frozen burgers on a factory made bun and a couple of fountain drinks for $55 after paying for the entrance fee in the ticket and not handwaving it away as "these are big league prices." :laugh:

I know Canada Life Center's prices aren't quite as extreme as Rogers Place but breaking it down

1.04 6oz 80/20 Fresh beef patty = $2.08 (Might be double 4oz patties (0.84/patty), hard to tell from the image)
0.94 Artisanal Ciabatta bun = $1.88 (Probably being generous using this and not the $0.40 hamburger roll)
0.08 Burger spread = $0.16 (10ml Heinz ketchup = 0.03, 10ml Hellmans Mayo = 0.05)
0.09 Lettuce = $0.18

Wholesale price of lettuce is $2/kg, McDonalds puts 28g of lettuce on a Big Mac according to google so using that as a price + amount gives 35 portions per $2 or 0.057/serving, assuming 30% waste would put it around $0.09/serving.

Soda comes in 5 gallon bag-in-box systems to be portioned 1:5, syrup to water. I think the menu says 20oz so ~600ml or 100ml syrup/portion. Each box is around $90-100 CAD for an average plebeian to buy. It's about 19L per bag so 190 portions per $100 at plebeian non-wholesale price for Coke/Pepsi. So $0.19/portion for the soda and 1000 Solo brand wax coated, biodegradable cups is about $250 Canadian or about $0.25/cup.

$4.70 for the burgers
$6.30 total food cost, or nearly 90% gross revenue at $55 :laugh: (Not profit to be clear)

Prices are from an American Sysco list so I converted the price from USD to CAD. For the cheese I basically just doubled the price from 0.09 USD/slice because price controls/standards are higher for cheese in Canada.

You could probably get away with tacking on a $2 increase to every ticket and just cutting the margin on food to be more in line with what you'd pay around the arena, or even lower because being honest the arena's food is not great. The customer would probably be happier at the end of the game not getting gouged on food and you'd probably have more people actually eating.
More butts in seats with a higher percentage eating at games could bring in similar revenue :dunno:

Fascinating breakdown -- thanks for taking the time. Some additional calcs (assuming these were Jets prices, which they ain't):

Net Profit Revenue Margin:
88.55%

Net Profit Team-assisting Revenue Bux:
$48.70

Profit Ineffectual D Buyout and/ or Free-agent Recruiting Percentage:
773.02%

Reactions: imec and sipowicz

None

Feb 22, 2012
Fascinating breakdown -- thanks for taking the time. Some additional calcs (assuming these were Jets prices, which they ain't):

Net Profit Revenue Margin:
88.55%

Net Profit Team-assisting Revenue Bux:
$48.70

Profit Ineffectual D Buyout and/ or Free-agent Recruiting Percentage:
773.02%

Yeah, the margin is wild. You're paying for the privilege of being gouged :laugh:

It doesn't take a psych major to know that the psychological aspect would make a significant amount of people just never even consider food priced like that.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I go only when tickets come through work events.
I can afford to go but it’s a big expense for one evening out.
I have been to games where it’s been lacklustre and I leave thinking I’m glad I didn’t pay for that.
This market definitely needs corporate sponsorship to help because this city is very blue collar.
I’m not anti TNSE but they essentially need to go the extra mile to keep their existing ST base happy and I’ve read many posts about horrendous service.
In the end I hope they can turn it around, because many people enjoy the live experience.
I think ticket prices and concessions should be reviewed and hopefully they will incentivize people to spend.
It’s all about entertaining your customers and encouraging additional discretionary spending once they are in attendance.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

0.09 Lettuce = $0.18

$4.70 for the burgers

I take back my comment (while it was in gest) from a few weeks ago where I said you weren’t smarter than me. Holy Moses :laugh:

This is great work.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

0.09 Lettuce = $0.18

$4.70 for the burgers

This is like food stats - undisputable -
(nice work)

None

Feb 22, 2012
The even crazier part about that menu from the Oilers is that the $55 burgers aren't even the highest margin product on that list :laugh:

Popcorn is like $1/lb for kernels in 50lb sacks. You get about a gallon of popped popcorn per 4oz of mushroom kernels (the premium popcorn that's basically spherical after popping). So 4 gallons of popcorn per $1 of kernels, they're selling 130oz/1gal buckets in that combo that's 2 for $36.50.

Total cost in for 2*20oz drinks + 2*130oz popcorn is like $2 and half of that is probably the actual 130oz buckets at about ~$0.55 each.
~94% Profit margin on popcorn :laugh:

Edit: I realize this is complicated because I used both volumetric and regular weighed ounces but I don't feel like changing it. So the 130oz is volumetric ie. fluid ounces and the 4oz is weight :laugh:
In my defense it's because the popcorn buckets are sold in fluid ounces for volume.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad