Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Also, "you get the product and service you deserve".

Across the street. Served at a table by a server. A glass made of, you know, glass. Premium liquor. Superior preparation. Oh, and, you don't have to buy a ticket to get in...

Those look like singles to me. I agree the drinks at the arena are on the pricy side but if that's what's keeping you away, and you think they are treating you with contempt because of it, I don't think dropping the price a couple of dollars is going to bring you back. Also, shouldn't have to be said, but buying a ticket gets you in to watch the game, not hang out at the bar.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Not sure what interview you all listened to... He spoke about the complaints/grumbling when he said his first response was he was aware and went on about how he can't fill up his gas tank without hearing something about the team. The 'not on our watch' was also in response to a question that specifically asked if a sale and relocation. There seems to be some people on this board with a blind hatred of Chipman/True North and want it to fail. Reminds a lot of the people that went on about how Chipman/True North were blocking the NHL return to Winnipeg because they were making enough money on the Moose.
I don't understand the hatred towards Chipman either.
Actually I take that back.... it's a Winnipeg thing to bitch about everything. I've been to games in other cities and they aren't giving beer, food, parking away either. We have the NHL in Winnipeg people! Enjoy the fact you get to see the best players in the world without having to travel to another city. Also I for one take great pride in seeing Winnipeg listed in sports news across North America....that bit of prestige having a major league team is priceless.

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
But what kind of business model has mediocrity as its goal??? Shouldn't we be looking for a GREAT experience instead of one that "isn't bad"? Shouldn't TSNE be encouraging us to buy stuff rather than being glad we're not being "forced"???

For me, it's about a complete experience and no matter how good the team is, not being able to enjoy the game fully because a so called "double" (2 ounces ain't a double in my world) sets me back $23 just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I frankly feel as though I'm treated with contempt.
Ok I'll bite. How many ounces is a "double" in your world?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Treated with contempt because they sell the universally accepted definition of a double for a couple of dollars more than you'd pay at any of the restaurants surrounding the arena?

You can't please everybody applies to this topic.

I don't believe this is true - one drink is supposed to be 1.5oz, a double would be 3oz.
(even the feds say so! Low-risk alcohol drinking guidelines - Canada.ca)

Some bars/services are just cheap bastards, TNSE included.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Those look like singles to me. I agree the drinks at the arena are on the pricy side but if that's what's keeping you away, and you think they are treating you with contempt because of it, I don't think dropping the price a couple of dollars is going to bring you back. Also, shouldn't have to be said, but buying a ticket gets you in to watch the game, not hang out at the bar.
Again, it's the total experience - and I'm not the only one that thinks the drink prices are extortionate.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The Chipman interview with Dreger was very good... much better tone than TNSE's previous communications on the point. Chipman is a good man, he is a businessman but he has the interests of the community at heart and it shows. He is the polar opposite of guys like Melnyk and some of the bad owners the NHL has had over the years.

Honestly TNSE should have started with having Chipman talk about this instead of going with the cringeworthy Forever Winnipeg PR campaign.

Grannyjetfan

Dec 19, 2019
I saw the interview with Chipman and Dreger, I thought it was done very well and showed the emotional side of Chipman. He acknowledged the fact what the pandemic has done to our city and how it impacted the finances of Winnipegers. He wants to be part of the solution with downtown and the mental struggles that people have. I only have great respect for the man.

Last edited:

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
They are comparable to the prices at other NHL venues. You want the NHL, you have to pay NHL prices across the board. It's not like the Bombers charge much less for instance.
I'm quite sure the prices are equal to, greater than and maybe even lower depending on the venue - interesting that one source has us pegged as the 5th most expensive arena in the league. Second, we're not the only franchise with an attendance problem - prices of concessions should perhaps be reviewed "across the board". BTW, I attend every Bombers game - I'm not happy with their drink prices either and rarely buy a drink - that's unrealized revenue to the club.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm quite sure the prices are equal to, greater than and maybe even lower depending on the venue - interesting that one source has us pegged as the 5th most expensive arena in the league. Second, we're not the only franchise with an attendance problem - prices of concessions should perhaps be reviewed "across the board". BTW, I attend every Bombers game - I'm not happy with their drink prices either and rarely buy a drink - that's unrealized revenue to the club.

I don't disagree that in general concession prices are out of whack across the board.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I don't tend to care/complain about booze prices, etc. More higher end and luxury stuff, not for everyone, and a special treat kind of thing. When I used to regularly goto games, I would have one per period and didn't raise an eye about paying $10 - $12 for each.

But when a small bottle of water is $5.00, and I can buy a 40 pack of the same sized water bottles for $5.29 from costco (about $0.15 per bottle)......this is the kind of thing that makes me seriously resent the price gouging. A small bottle of water for $5. What are kids & people driving supposed to drink?

Seriously.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't tend to care/complain about booze prices, etc. More higher end and luxury stuff, not for everyone, and a special treat kind of thing. When I used to regularly goto games, I would have one per period and didn't raise an eye about paying $10 - $12 for each.

But when a small bottle of water is $5.00, and I can buy a 40 pack of the same sized water bottles for $5.29 from costco (about $0.15 per bottle)......this is the kind of thing that makes me seriously resent the price gouging. A small bottle of water for $5. What are kids & people driving supposed to drink?

Seriously.

Just an FYI, but you can bring in soft-sided water bottles and fill them up at the water fountains. Been doing this for years.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The concession talk has me thinking about a model that I'm sure a lot on here would at least be aware of. The Atlanta Falcons changed their mindset with regards to concessions from being a source of revenue generation with higher margins to being a revenue neutral or small profit product to get people through the door. They call it street pricing, targeting a price that's similar to what you'd pay outside of the stadium.

Now I doubt anyone would be calling for $2-3 hot dogs like they have at Falcons games, but $11 for a jumbo jet dog that's just a bland Winnipeg Old Country or Winkler Meats (I forgot which) sausage just leaves people feeling ripped off.
Of course I'm biased about the hot dogs, I loved the old Nathan's Famous hot dogs and wish they'd go back to those :laugh:

Reactions: DannyGallivan

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, but then you're drinking unfiltered Winnipeg tap water. Eww.

I've been doing that for 57 years and it hasn't hurt me none!
images.jpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well, it looks like the Jets vs. Stars game on the 11th has been moved up by an hour.

Jesus H, the NHL kowtowing to a few whingy football fans? They're supposed to be the Big League, tell the damn CFL to start their game an hour later. Added bonus: it would make it even colder for the fans attending. Football fans love it when it's frigid. #forthewindchill :nod:

weslox

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2016

I wouldn't consider this a reliable source at all. There's a reason they're not citing their sources or data collection methodology.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the author trying to get data, given the timing of the thread and the article 🤪:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Jesus H, the NHL kowtowing to a few whingy football fans? They're supposed to be the Big League, tell the damn CFL to start their game an hour later. Added bonus: it would make it even colder for the fans attending. Football fans love it when it's frigid. #forthewindchill :nod:

The Jets game should start at 1 to allow people to attend both events. Only one of those games is going to be sold out, and it's not going to be the hockey game...

Inanna

Liberal Arts Instructor
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Barrie, ON
I don't disagree that in general concession prices are out of whack across the board.
It's even worse at the movies. Went out to a show with friends recently and I was shocked at how much popcorn and a soda cost. Admittedly, it had been a while since I'd gone to the movies on my own dime, but I can't believe people regularly shell out that much money. From here on, I'm telling future dates (if I ever get one) that I don't need anything from the concessions.

To add to the cost offence, the movie sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad