Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The Ice were playing in a tiny arena. I don't think it was physically possible for them to be anything but last in WHL attendance.

True but when there are empty seats in a 1,800 seat building - despite a very successful and entertaining team - the point is that interest isn't all that high.

I mean, look at this pic from the Moose/Iowa game on the weekend. It looks like one of the 250 max people attendance-restricted pandemic Moose games I attended.

I'm starting to think that there are no more than 25,000 people who buy all the hockey tickets in this town.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
True but when there are empty seats in a 1,800 seat building - despite a very successful and entertaining team - the point is that interest isn't all that high.

I mean, look at this pic from the Moose/Iowa game on the weekend. It looks like one of the 250 max people attendance-restricted pandemic Moose games I attended.

I'm starting to think that there are no more than 25,000 people who buy all the hockey tickets in this town.

You might not be too far off in that assessment.

I’m not sure what is hurting the Moose, although I suspect it’s still market saturation. It also probably doesn’t help that the Moose have hardly been competitive since returning, although I’m not sure how closely the casual fan follows them. And with that, I don’t know how much the average, casual fan cares to go watch Jets prospects play.

Tickets are cheap enough, so I don’t think it’s a cost-issue necessarily.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

I’m not sure what is hurting the Moose, although I suspect it’s still market saturation. It also probably doesn’t help that the Moose have hardly been competitive since returning, although I’m not sure how closely the casual fan follows them. And with that, I don’t know how much the average, casual fan cares to go watch Jets prospects play.

I checked and the cheapest pair of Moose tickets for the next game is $68.25 with Ticketmaster fees. Not stratospheric but a bit pricey relative to the actual entertainment value of a Moose game. Which is iffy at times. I have attended a bunch of Moose games since they came back and I am hard pressed to remember many specific details about the games that I attended... they all kind of blend together into one big 4-2 loss.

If the concert biz ever really picks up again, I wonder if TNSE might move them out to open up more concert dates. It's probably tough to pass up on a show with 11,000 fans because the Moose are scheduled to play Laval with 2,000 people in the stands.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

I had season tix / packages for the Moose for several years, mostly on behalf of the teams my kids played on. IME, a good proportion of fans for any given game were birthday parties, team outings or groups who were there for the fun(ish) atmosphere and the chance to see a future star.

But they're often a team that's built to lose, since the goal is dev over actually winning, and that can be hard to get behind. I'd expect to see things pick up a bit with the 10/20 a seat deals that generally pop up and with the proper start of kids' hockey season through November and then into the new year.

But yeah, it helps when they're actually good, and fun to watch.

None

Feb 22, 2012

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Probably more of an around the league topic.

Glad that Dermott called them on their bluff. The optics of them fining Dermott would've been abysmal.
it talks about not moving the team because of a couple down years in attendance, I think the attendance thread is probably the right place for it

None

Feb 22, 2012
it talks about not moving the team because of a couple down years in attendance, I think the attendance thread is probably the right place for it

Oh yeah, I only read the headline initially :laugh:

Once I started listening I realized it was appropriate.

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
I'm not sure the team the first few years were any more entertaining than this. Fans cried for years that Maurice has no defensive systems, the team plays no defence, etc etc etc. Well, this is generally what defensive hockey looks like.

What is puzzling about the direction of the team? They re-signed their 1C and top 5 goalie for 7 more years and traded a player who wanted to leave for three players who will play on the roster right now instead of draft picks. You might disagree with the direction but I don't think it's all that puzzling.

Pre and post game stuff is optional, but on the few times I get to a game it can be fun. At least the pregame stuff, I'm not young enough anymore to be up for much after the games.

I don't know what this fanbase really expects. We make fun of Vegas and their pregame stuff and in game fun but then call the experience at Canada Life boring. We want the team to be defensively responsible but get bored watching them play D. I talked to my rep maybe 3 times over 10 years but it seems like several of you guys were in almost constant contact with them. When I had season seats, I didn't care too much about all these extra perks people are apparently missing.

I'm still confused about how much people feel taken for granted by the team for their STH business. The product is NHL hockey at a bulk rate. There's only one NHL team in town, the other hockey team is owned by the same people and features players not yet ready for the NHL team. What direction would the team have to go in to make a majority of people come back? Are people going to be lining up for season tickets for a rebuilding team?

A final note, the complaints about the poor atmosphere in the rink are funny considering they're coming from the people responsible for it. This is the same fanbase that watched a 22nd overall team for years while chanting things like "silver medal", "Crosby's better", "GST" at a line that this board would tear any coach apart for giving any minutes to.

I'd love a list of what people here think the team and ownership group needs to do to bring them back. Preferably without vagaries like "stop taking fans for granted" and "it needs to be more fun". Pricing is a given, sure, but the complaints have been about far more than the price.
Fair points. Maybe I just don’t care for NHL hockey like I used to? I dunno….if they relocated the team I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

None

Feb 22, 2012
Only in this market is this a f***ing story. Ottawa has been down attendance for years and you never heard a peep from the National media. It's pretty sad that our owner actually had to get infront of a camera about this.

Part of it is local media and fan driven. Chipman even acknowledges that when he says it's a touchy subject because it's already happened once. Add to that True North's own "marketing" drive last year with the not so subtle threat and the league's own threat from the relocation announcement about needing a sold out building and you end up with an anxious, reactionary fanbase.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I checked and the cheapest pair of Moose tickets for the next game is $68.25 with Ticketmaster fees. Not stratospheric but a bit pricey relative to the actual entertainment value of a Moose game. Which is iffy at times. I have attended a bunch of Moose games since they came back and I am hard pressed to remember many specific details about the games that I attended... they all kind of blend together into one big 4-2 loss.

If the concert biz ever really picks up again, I wonder if TNSE might move them out to open up more concert dates. It's probably tough to pass up on a show with 11,000 fans because the Moose are scheduled to play Laval with 2,000 people in the stands.
That’s weird, I’m pretty sure the cheap seats were $20 a pop last week.

I don’t pay regular Moose prices, I always use the CAA 50% off discount and sit in the first row for $22.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed, at least from my POV it effected me and my view overall. IMO hindsight being it what it is, I think we should of traded PLD sooner to avoid all the negative BS that came with it, the dark cloud of the team, etc. Not saying we would of gotten less a return, might even got a hair more of a return who knows.

Chevy being a grinder in these situations has its +++ but it also has its - - - .

I think the management are learning as they go and hopefully will change things moving forward. The media likes to say the Jets have a hard time retaining people but thats largely a false statement. The correct statement is the Jets have a hard time signing UFA's and getting players to waive their NMC in trade to come here...........but the fact is what they are here they seem to like it at least the vast majority do.

Trouba - He had nothing against the Jets, he strongly rumored he refused to play for any Canadian team bc he wanted to play in the USA closer to his now wife which is understandable.

Buff - He was just a serious injury and lack of desire, he quit hockey to enjoy the rest of his life and family......nothing to do with the Jets. I respect Buff for his decision.

Kane - Yup he wanted out, but in fairness the team wanted to get rid of him also so good riddance.

Laine - He suggested a trade might be best due to his disagreement with his usage and TOI. Last time I checked his TOI is no more with the CBJ so he really didn't gain anything and TBH I'm happy he's gone I mean look at his career vs his contract. He didn't have anything against the Jets and would of signed here if the Jets kept him.

PLD - IMO was the only player I was disappointed in a way to see leave, that being said we got a great return on him so I'm not disappointed now haha. He stated when he was with CBJ he wanted to play in a bigger market, so it was nothing specifically against the Jets he just didn't want to play for any smaller market......a bit frustrating but again nothing against the Jets specifically.

But with PLD, Kane, Trouba and Laine I might prefer those situations to be handled by Chevy quicker then he did.......most were multi year processes from point of rumored to want out to when each actually traded.
Let's assume for a sec that chevy probably could have dealt with those situations sooner, but it would have resulted in lesser returns on those trades

How much lesser would you have been OK with?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Let's assume for a sec that chevy probably could have dealt with those situations sooner, but it would have resulted in lesser returns on those trades

How much lesser would you have been OK with?

Not sure if any would returned less, maybe they would have returned a bit more hard for us fans to say.

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
Winnipeggers no longer leave their house for anything. I don't think the problem with attendance in this city is related to anything but that. We all got a bunch of streaming services and haven't left the couch since 2020.

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
Seriously can you please stop with the BS of moving or selling the Jets ... the Jets are not going anywhere but to the playoffs.

But ultimately, if something loses money for a long time but a lot of money could be made by selling it, there will be a risk it will be sold, and it probably will be eventually. That's just how money works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad