Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
What IS counted under HRR?
  • NHL regular season and playoff gate receipts
  • Pre-season games
  • Special games (All-Star Game specifically mentioned)
  • NHL national, international and national digital broadcasts
  • NHL Networks
  • Local cable television broadcasts
  • Local over-the-air television broadcasts
  • Local pay-per-view, satellite and other broadcasts
  • Local radio broadcasts
  • Club internet (revenue generated from operation of team websites)
  • Publications
  • In-arena novelty sales
  • Non-arena novelty sales
  • Concessions (during NHL games)
  • Luxury boxes/suites
  • Club/premium seats
  • Fixed signage and arena sponsorships
  • Temporary signage and club sponsorships
  • Dasherboards
  • Parking (during NHL games)
  • International hockey games
  • Other revenues: left open-ended, but mentioned are club and/or league-sponsored or branded events, sale of player-worn jerseys or equipment, among others.
What IS NOT counted under HRR?
  • Revenues from the assignment (e.g., waiver fees) of any player contract
  • Revenues from the sale or relocation of any club, or grant of any new franchise
  • Revenues from the operation of teams (other than NHL teams) owned or controlled by NHL club or club-related entity
  • Revenues from the sale of club personal property (e.g., non player-worn stuff)
  • Proceeds from loans/financing
  • Dues, loans, advances, cash calls, capital contributions received by NHL or related entities
  • Amounts collected by the league for any disciplinary action
  • Revenues paid by the league for Player Compensation Redistribution System
  • Interest income; investment income; insurance recoveries; real estate proceeds
  • Any thing of value received in connection with the design or construction of an arena
  • “Any thing of value that induced or is intended to induce a Club either to locate or to relocate (e.g., amounts paid to enable a Club to buy-out its lease obligations or enable it to pay any relocation fee) or remain in a particular geographic location such that it will enable the Club or its Club Affiliated Entity to enhance categories or revenue streams constituting HRR, so long as such things of value or other revenues are not reimbursements for operating expenses of the Club”
  • Escrow reimbursements
  • Revenues from international projects other than international NHL games (e.g., World Cup of Hockey)
I know this will have nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, but I’ve never understood why the fight between the players union and the league in determining HRR never included how much money players make in their personal endorsement contracts. They wouldn’t get those additional dollars if they weren’t in the NHL. In any even they’re all rich - the owners and the players, so not sure why we then need to be fleeced so badly on concessions as well. I’m a bombers STH and have no issue paying for a few beers at the game - and peanuts, but I also tailgate beforehand. I don’t feel guilty about that, and I have the feeling that the bombers management is smart enough to know that the tailgaters may spend a little less inside the stadium, but ultimately that’s a price they have to pay for improved atmosphere and attendance at the game. Moreover, it’s probably enough of an important aspect of a game experience for those fans that bombers management supports the process. I think they get it and Jet’s management doesn’t. Another example is the effort the bombers have made to set up their own tailgate area, with reduced prices, and opening up a smoking area. I don’t smoke, but my wife does, and she is quite ok to go to the bombers, but despite being a bigger jets fan than bombers fan, she’s not that keen to go to a game where she can’t have a smoke. Also, I absolutely can’t stand the music during play stoppages. So stupid and so loud.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Definitely .. you can't reduce ticket prices in season. That would be a mess.

I'm sure Chipman can afford some bad attendance but I would think it's a little embarrassing to have the national media writing articles about the Jets attendance problems.
True north was supposed to be on Cjob today to discuss. But they bailed

Reactions: Cypruss

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Announced attendance must be the number of people actually in attendance and scanned at the entrance while Ticketmaster would only show resale through official channels + general availability. There were likely more tickets sold than actually showed up.
No they don't do that. Announced attendance is always tickets distributed, not actual butts in seats. It's been like that for several years in pretty well all pro sports.

To answer the poster's questions, ticketmaster (possibly at the behest of True North) is not actually showing all the seats available to create the perception of scarcity. This is a pretty common tactic being used nowadays.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
At some point they will have to rethink price of tickets and concessions but it won't be this year. As the season progresses and if they can fight for a playoff spot the attendance will tick up. If not they will lose money and Chipman will right it off.

Attachments

• Seinfeld.gif
    Seinfeld.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Tonight will be the test....Mcdavid, rivalry and a Saturday night game.

If numbers are low again its a trend and needs addressing.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight will be the test....Mcdavid, rivalry and a Saturday night game.

If numbers are low again its a trend and needs addressing.
@oldunclehue, the game is in Edmonton tonight. The next game is at home against St. Louis, but it is a 7:45pm start, so I don't think too many walk-up tickets will be sold for that one...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know this will have nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, but I’ve never understood why the fight between the players union and the league in determining HRR never included how much money players make in their personal endorsement contracts. They wouldn’t get those additional dollars if they weren’t in the NHL. In any even they’re all rich - the owners and the players, so not sure why we then need to be fleeced so badly on concessions as well. I’m a bombers STH and have no issue paying for a few beers at the game - and peanuts, but I also tailgate beforehand. I don’t feel guilty about that, and I have the feeling that the bombers management is smart enough to know that the tailgaters may spend a little less inside the stadium, but ultimately that’s a price they have to pay for improved atmosphere and attendance at the game. Moreover, it’s probably enough of an important aspect of a game experience for those fans that bombers management supports the process. I think they get it and Jet’s management doesn’t. Another example is the effort the bombers have made to set up their own tailgate area, with reduced prices, and opening up a smoking area. I don’t smoke, but my wife does, and she is quite ok to go to the bombers, but despite being a bigger jets fan than bombers fan, she’s not that keen to go to a game where she can’t have a smoke. Also, I absolutely can’t stand the music during play stoppages. So stupid and so loud.

Interesting, how would you handle personal endorsement revenu paid to players?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
All this talk about poor attendance but when I go on the Jets website there are still no cheap tickets to be found. Even the nosebleed tickets for the St Louis games are over $70. Something something supply and demand... the math ain't math-ing on this one.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
That $1.50 is to discourage you from destroying the planet! Do you know many eons it takes for plastic bags to disintegrate? Do you know how many species become extinct every year due to discarded plastic bags? Do you know how much global warming has resulted from those bags? Well, I don't know either but I'll bet it's really, really bad. :sarcasm:
When I shop at Home Depot I get a bag for free and it’s made of paper, pretty novel idea huh!?

who would have ever thought that bags could be made from paper

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
As a pretty die hard Jets fan, I live too far away to attend many games, but anytime I do I'm usually pretty damn excited. But I fear for this organization right now with the amount of people I know not renewing tickets and that they would rather stay home and watch it on TV than spend the amount to go watch.

I went to a game in November against the Islanders....and I was very disappointed in the product on ice and the entertainment value provided outside of the game. I find the MC guy to be annoying and not very good at his job.

Part of me blames the opponent for the lack of atmosphere as the Isles are a boring team to play, but the Jets on ice product was awful, boring and zero life.

The rest of the season has gone much of the same way, I often can't bring myself to watch our team for an entire game. I get angry at our supposed "super stars" especially Sheifele and Wheeler with a lack of emotion and willingness to do anything to win.

I fear our organization needs to figure this out VERY quickly or the middle class Manitobans who fill the seats will stop showing up and the Jets future will be unknown.
Guess Cheapman and TNSE never did figure it out!

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
All this talk about poor attendance but when I go on the Jets website there are still no cheap tickets to be found. Even the nosebleed tickets for the St Louis games are over $70. Something something supply and demand... the math ain't math-ing on this one.
Groupon or fansfirst

Reactions: JetsFan815

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

It's a lot harder to raise prices back up after lowering them. You don't want to sell tickets too low too often.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’m not totally surprised with the economy and the lowering excitement in the team the last couple years. I don’t know what it really does to them financially, but the ticket prices are way higher than when we had a team in Atlanta, even if our attendance was better at times. Hell I’m blown away anyone can afford season tickets anywhere let alone a hockey team in Canada nowadays.

We’ll see how the season plays out though. Way too early to really say anything. Team needs to turn a corner on the ice and it should fix itself. If the team has a mediocre year, this will continue to be a regular thing and I hope you all are ready to constantly hear the the criticism. Certainly ain’t fun.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I’m not totally surprised with the economy and the lowering excitement in the team the last couple years. I don’t know what it really does to them financially, but the ticket prices are way higher than when we had a team in Atlanta, even if our attendance was better at times. Hell I’m blown away anyone can afford season tickets anywhere let alone a hockey team in Canada nowadays.

We’ll see how the season plays out though. Way too early to really say anything. Team needs to turn a corner on the ice and it should fix itself. If the team has a mediocre year, this will continue to be a regular thing and I hope you all are ready to constantly hear the the criticism. Certainly ain’t fun.
Won't be long before The Balkan (or at least, his shoe) makes an appearance. ;)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
When I shop at Home Depot I get a bag for free and it’s made of paper, pretty novel idea huh!?

who would have ever thought that bags could be made from paper
Attendance will probably sag until the economy improves.
Nothing to worry about as far as the team leaving.
Hopefully TNSE improves its customer service as well.

30 years ago “The battle cry”
Save the forests, no paper bags must ever be used…..use plastic der herp.
Today save the planet!!!
Mustn’t use plastic bags, use paper bags and paper straws ( wrapped in plastic lololol )

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Look at all those empty seats at the Bomber game

Move them to Halifax
Game was sold out. Lots of people go to the main concourse and congregate there. Probably some no-shows too seeing how it was a meaningless game.

I'll tell you what won't help the Jets attendance. Having their game against Dallas overlapping with the the Bombers Western Final a few Saturdays from now. Given it's a Saturday I doubt either game will be moved back or forward by an hour or two let alone changing the day of the game.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Game was sold out. Lots of people go to the main concourse and congregate there. Probably some no-shows too seeing how it was a meaningless game.

I'll tell you what won't help the Jets attendance. Having their game against Dallas overlapping with the the Bombers Western Final a few Saturdays from now. Given it's a Saturday I doubt either game will be moved back or forward by an hour or two let alone changing the day of the game.
I think they'll move it. The game is not on national tv. There is no reason not to move it to a little earlier.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Jets fans: nobody can afford $100 tickets to watch the NHL!
Bomber fans: buying West Final tickets in record time.

Season tickets aside, the Jets can't draw flies for walkup tickets right now, even on the secondary market. It isn't the ticket prices.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad