Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Interesting, how would you handle personal endorsement revenu paid to players?
Well, it seems fair that if the Teams have to share 50% of their revenue from all sponsors and other sales, then the players should have to have some kind of sharing aspect as well. I say that without fully knowing all the intricate details of how Teams earn revenue - except that it is always widely reported that they have to disclose everything so as to ensure a 50% figure can be determined. So to me that implies that all revenue for sponsors - like sporting drinks or athletic equipment companies have to be reported and shared, but it seems that isn't the case for the players revenues. Just seems a bit disproportionate.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Jets fans: nobody can afford $100 tickets to watch the NHL!
Bomber fans: buying West Final tickets in record time.

Season tickets aside, the Jets can't draw flies for walkup tickets right now, even on the secondary market. It isn't the ticket prices.
I don't see how its fair to compare ticket sales to the playoffs/western final where the Bombers will also likely be favourites to win to early regular season Jets games....

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
TNSE has invested a lot in downtown but they may be the only ones to do so.

Downtown has never really been a "nice" place to be IMO but post covid, it's a disaster and I don't blame those who don't go out of there way to go down there and park their car etc etc

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, it seems fair that if the Teams have to share 50% of their revenue from all sponsors and other sales, then the players should have to have some kind of sharing aspect as well. I say that without fully knowing all the intricate details of how Teams earn revenue - except that it is always widely reported that they have to disclose everything so as to ensure a 50% figure can be determined. So to me that implies that all revenue for sponsors - like sporting drinks or athletic equipment companies have to be reported and shared, but it seems that isn't the case for the players revenues. Just seems a bit disproportionate.

Most players don't have a lucrative personal sponsorship deal. The total value would be peanuts in terms of league revenues.

Also the NHLPA would never, ever go for it...endorsement deals are tied to the individual themselves and I doubt the league has ever seriously considered it.

Reactions: surixon

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Most players don't have a lucrative personal sponsorship deal. The total value would be peanuts in terms of league revenues.

Also the NHLPA would never, ever go for it...endorsement deals are tied to the individual themselves and I doubt the league has ever seriously considered it.
Oh, I totally agree, the NHLPA would never agree with that recommendation. I just find it hilarious that it never gets mentioned, and it's hypocritical. No chance any NHL player gets one of those personal sponsorship deals if he's playing in the AHL. Not something I lose sleep over though.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You know it kind of piss's me off that the first time in 12 years we have a couple of home games not completely sold out the national media jump all over it. This team has been supported great by the ticket buying customer, if the Jets get on a little winning streak the arena will be full again especially if they are working their ass's off every game.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh, I totally agree, the NHLPA would never agree with that recommendation. I just find it hilarious that it never gets mentioned, and it's hypocritical. No chance any NHL player gets one of those personal sponsorship deals if he's playing in the AHL. Not something I lose sleep over though.
It's a 2-way street. The guys who get big sponsorship deals are the same guys who put butts in the seats.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You know it kind of piss's me off that the first time in 12 years we have a couple of home games not completely sold out the national media jump all over it. This team has been supported great by the ticket buying customer, if the Jets get on a little winning streak the arena will be full again especially if they are working their ass's off every game.
I don't think so. Winning is fun but it's not the only draw. The Jets had one successful year on the ice between 2011-12 and 2016-17 and it was a madhouse in the arena (success = playoffs). They've had one unsuccessful season since then and it's a graveyard in there.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't think so. Winning is fun but it's not the only draw. The Jets had one successful year on the ice between 2011-12 and 2016-17 and it was a madhouse in the arena (success = playoffs). They've had one unsuccessful season since then and it's a graveyard in there.
The Dude will go and liven up that arena.:laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

In my opinion they have been successful in the standings but unsuccessful in being an entertaining product. We've had years of Helle dragging the team to playoffs while the team got caved in on the ice.

Last year the team played well for half the year but then had that massive collapse juat as fan excitement and attendance was picking back up.

My guess is many fans are gunshy about the team this year. That could change if they get better as the year goes on and prove to be good over a period of time.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I think the ongoing PLD/Scheif/Helle drama had an impact atleast on the STHs. I wonder if we see a recovery now that we are past the 37/55 parts of it and if the team plays well.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In my opinion they have been successful in the standings but unsuccessful in being an entertaining product. We've had years of Helle dragging the team to playoffs while the team got caved in on the ice.

This is the correct answer. I have been a STH since they got here, and the past few years have been boring. The hockey, the atmosphere at the rink, all of it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm old enough to remember the "save the trees" days...
And global cooling!

This is the correct answer. I have been a STH since they got here, and the past few years have been boring. The hockey, the atmosphere at the rink, all of it.
Buddy who has been there since day one of 2.0 says the same thing, arena atmosphere is dead, used to be ”the thing” to do and be at in this town, no longer, TNSE and Cheapman never read the room!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It’s an interesting point.

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018
Had season tickets for the first 10 years. I think it’s a combination of a few things. P1 tickets will run you $500 for a pair….that’s pretty expensive. Throw in parking, beer, pre/post game stuff it’s an expensive night. At least for me the novelty wore out. NFL/ College football is in full swing. I’d rather watch football and have beer/wings for a fraction of the price. The direction of this team is puzzling….and the product on ice is boring.

for most of the years I had season tickets TNSE really didn’t do much to appreciate season ticket holder business.

now when tickets are offered to me for free I usually pass on it.

Reactions: sipowicz

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Jets 1.0 ticket holder from day1 until I moved to Toronto. Have been a ticket holder of Jets 2.0 since day1 despite living in TO and now Calgary. Fly back for as many games as I can. Daughter and friends are big winners of me continuing to support the Jets. Tired of you non season ticket holders continuing to whine. If you do not like it just go away. i WILL SSUPPORT THE TEAM FOR AS LONG AS i CAN. Go Jets Go.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'm not sure the team the first few years were any more entertaining than this. Fans cried for years that Maurice has no defensive systems, the team plays no defence, etc etc etc. Well, this is generally what defensive hockey looks like.

Had season tickets for the first 10 years. I think it’s a combination of a few things. P1 tickets will run you $500 for a pair….that’s pretty expensive. Throw in parking, beer, pre/post game stuff it’s an expensive night. At least for me the novelty wore out. NFL/ College football is in full swing. I’d rather watch football and have beer/wings for a fraction of the price. The direction of this team is puzzling….and the product on ice is boring.

for most of the years I had season tickets TNSE really didn’t do much to appreciate season ticket holder business.

now when tickets are offered to me for free I usually pass on it.

What is puzzling about the direction of the team? They re-signed their 1C and top 5 goalie for 7 more years and traded a player who wanted to leave for three players who will play on the roster right now instead of draft picks. You might disagree with the direction but I don't think it's all that puzzling.

Pre and post game stuff is optional, but on the few times I get to a game it can be fun. At least the pregame stuff, I'm not young enough anymore to be up for much after the games.

I don't know what this fanbase really expects. We make fun of Vegas and their pregame stuff and in game fun but then call the experience at Canada Life boring. We want the team to be defensively responsible but get bored watching them play D. I talked to my rep maybe 3 times over 10 years but it seems like several of you guys were in almost constant contact with them. When I had season seats, I didn't care too much about all these extra perks people are apparently missing.

I'm still confused about how much people feel taken for granted by the team for their STH business. The product is NHL hockey at a bulk rate. There's only one NHL team in town, the other hockey team is owned by the same people and features players not yet ready for the NHL team. What direction would the team have to go in to make a majority of people come back? Are people going to be lining up for season tickets for a rebuilding team?

A final note, the complaints about the poor atmosphere in the rink are funny considering they're coming from the people responsible for it. This is the same fanbase that watched a 22nd overall team for years while chanting things like "silver medal", "Crosby's better", "GST" at a line that this board would tear any coach apart for giving any minutes to.

I'd love a list of what people here think the team and ownership group needs to do to bring them back. Preferably without vagaries like "stop taking fans for granted" and "it needs to be more fun". Pricing is a given, sure, but the complaints have been about far more than the price.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I'm not sure the team the first few years were any more entertaining than this. Fans cried for years that Maurice has no defensive systems, the team plays no defence, etc etc etc. Well, this is generally what defensive hockey looks like.

What is puzzling about the direction of the team? They re-signed their 1C and top 5 goalie for 7 more years and traded a player who wanted to leave for three players who will play on the roster right now instead of draft picks. You might disagree with the direction but I don't think it's all that puzzling.

Pre and post game stuff is optional, but on the few times I get to a game it can be fun. At least the pregame stuff, I'm not young enough anymore to be up for much after the games.

I don't know what this fanbase really expects. We make fun of Vegas and their pregame stuff and in game fun but then call the experience at Canada Life boring. We want the team to be defensively responsible but get bored watching them play D. I talked to my rep maybe 3 times over 10 years but it seems like several of you guys were in almost constant contact with them. When I had season seats, I didn't care too much about all these extra perks people are apparently missing.

I'm still confused about how much people feel taken for granted by the team for their STH business. The product is NHL hockey at a bulk rate. There's only one NHL team in town, the other hockey team is owned by the same people and features players not yet ready for the NHL team. What direction would the team have to go in to make a majority of people come back? Are people going to be lining up for season tickets for a rebuilding team?

A final note, the complaints about the poor atmosphere in the rink are funny considering they're coming from the people responsible for it. This is the same fanbase that watched a 22nd overall team for years while chanting things like "silver medal", "Crosby's better", "GST" at a line that this board would tear any coach apart for giving any minutes to.

I'd love a list of what people here think the team and ownership group needs to do to bring them back. Preferably without vagaries like "stop taking fans for granted" and "it needs to be more fun". Pricing is a given, sure, but the complaints have been about far more than the price.
Speaking for myself only but what drives me nuts is how Chipman is so loyal that he has a hard time making management changes. Maurice lasted well past best before date and honestly Chevy should probably be gone by now as well.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think the ongoing PLD/Scheif/Helle drama had an impact atleast on the STHs. I wonder if we see a recovery now that we are past the 37/55 parts of it and if the team plays well.

Agreed, at least from my POV it effected me and my view overall. IMO hindsight being it what it is, I think we should of traded PLD sooner to avoid all the negative BS that came with it, the dark cloud of the team, etc. Not saying we would of gotten less a return, might even got a hair more of a return who knows.

Chevy being a grinder in these situations has its +++ but it also has its - - - .

I think the management are learning as they go and hopefully will change things moving forward. The media likes to say the Jets have a hard time retaining people but thats largely a false statement. The correct statement is the Jets have a hard time signing UFA's and getting players to waive their NMC in trade to come here...........but the fact is what they are here they seem to like it at least the vast majority do.

Trouba - He had nothing against the Jets, he strongly rumored he refused to play for any Canadian team bc he wanted to play in the USA closer to his now wife which is understandable.

Buff - He was just a serious injury and lack of desire, he quit hockey to enjoy the rest of his life and family......nothing to do with the Jets. I respect Buff for his decision.

Kane - Yup he wanted out, but in fairness the team wanted to get rid of him also so good riddance.

Laine - He suggested a trade might be best due to his disagreement with his usage and TOI. Last time I checked his TOI is no more with the CBJ so he really didn't gain anything and TBH I'm happy he's gone I mean look at his career vs his contract. He didn't have anything against the Jets and would of signed here if the Jets kept him.

PLD - IMO was the only player I was disappointed in a way to see leave, that being said we got a great return on him so I'm not disappointed now haha. He stated when he was with CBJ he wanted to play in a bigger market, so it was nothing specifically against the Jets he just didn't want to play for any smaller market......a bit frustrating but again nothing against the Jets specifically.

But with PLD, Kane, Trouba and Laine I might prefer those situations to be handled by Chevy quicker then he did.......most were multi year processes from point of rumored to want out to when each actually traded.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
In related news, we're also second last in AHL attendance. Last year we were last in WHL attendance, and then the league made the team move to the States. Our two MJHL teams are last in their league's attendance.

At least we're consistent?!?!

(It's kind of shocking to me how low Moose attendance is now. Only 1,800 at one of the games vs. Iowa this past weekend.)

image_att_graph_season.php

• Wow
Reactions: roccerfeller

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
In related news, we're also second last in AHL attendance. Last year we were last in WHL attendance, and then the league made the team move to the States. Our two MJHL teams are last in their league's attendance.

At least we're consistent?!?!

(It's kind of shocking to me how low Moose attendance is now. Only 1,800 at one of the games vs. Iowa this past weekend.)

image_att_graph_season.php
The Ice were playing in a tiny arena. I don't think it was physically possible for them to be anything but last in WHL attendance.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad