Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As a partial Sth, I must admit that I feel a bit silly sitting there sometimes having invested significant time and money and feeling like the fans are the only ones in the building who care about the game.

Maybe a good run here can change my mind, but I'd prefer to watch a "Winnipeg style" team, lunchpail, blood and guts hockey. Show me that you care.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I get that Friesen wrote the article, but it still rubs me the wrong way if Chipman is truly blaming fans alone for the lackluster attendance, and subtly threatening we may lose the team again.

Curious to know what everyone else thinks.
Like you said, Friesen wrote it. That pretty much seals it for me.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Was at the Chamber of Commerce luncheon yesterday for Bell CEO Mirko Birbic and Chipman was pleading that we needed to increase season ticket sales for next year. Down 3500 season tickets this year

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
25% off concessions should cover more items for season ticket holders.

Everything is marketed up 1000% So a 25% discount off your profit margin profit off your loyal Fans . Some marketing research shows with a reduced price means that they sell more product and in the end make more overall profit!

Draft $12 for $9 after 25% off…… cost $1.2 on bulk carbonated draft beverage. 1000 % mark up

Double whiskey 🥃 $18 cost $2….. 900 % mark up….. no discount to season ticket holders

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
25% off concessions should cover more items for season ticket holders.

Everything is marketed up 1000% So a 25% discount off your profit margin profit off your loyal Fans . Some marketing research shows with a reduced price means that they sell more product and in the end make more overall profit!

Draft $12 for $9 after 25% off…… cost $1.2 on bulk carbonated draft beverage. 1000 % mark up

Double whiskey 🥃 $18 cost $2….. 900 % mark up….. no discount to season ticket holders
Yeah they're not stupid and have all this calculated / thought out. They have so much room in margin they can lose a bit on their margin% if it means making way more in actual dollars they take to the bank.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't have an issue with a marketing campaign to increase ticket sales. I do take a bit of an issue with the tone of the message. It's a bit tone deaf imo. Most of the league has seen a reduction in attendance this year. It's not just the Jets. The economy in both c
ountries is struggling and we are still coming out of a pandemic. It's no real surprise with the hyper inflation we are experiencing that luxury items like pro sports have seen a bit of a hit in terms of attendance.

Honestly they could have offered all those perks without the quilt trip messaging.

I don't think he's blaming the fans at all but I think he felt he needed to send a reminder not to take NHL hockey for granted. I don't think now was the appropriate time for said messaging.

I also think it's inappropriate given the billion dollars of other assets they have down town making the org cash. The org shouldn't have a money issue on the whole right now.

Honestly fans are also likely a little gun shy about the product after a couple of years of crappybon ice play. The second half of the year collapse likely didn't help matters.

I know some on here like to look for hidden clues about the direction of the team from announcements like this. Here's one for them - is TNSE reminding us about attendance because the team is about to rebuild after this year?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I know some on here like to look for hidden clues about the direction of the team from announcements like this. Here's one for them - is TNSE reminding us about attendance because the team is about to rebuild after this year?

I have been wondering about this myself. When does the majority of season tickets get renewed? Are they trying to get it done before they blow it up or do they have an idea of who they are resigning etc..?

Hate to say but this off season is the biggest in Jets history. Such Hyperbole but there is a foundation of good team here. We can see it when they play right. It is a question of the players buying in

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
any benefit to local businesses to have jets in town?

Is a pro sports team city still a thing? Austin Texas has done fine without a team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have been wondering about this myself. When does the majority of season tickets get renewed? Are they trying to get it done before they blow it up or do they have an idea of who they are resigning etc..?

Hate to say but this off season is the biggest in Jets history. Such Hyperbole but there is a foundation of good team here. We can see it when they play right. It is a question of the players buying in

Yup, we have two world class players in key positions in Helle and JoMo and then some real good top 6 talent when they apply themselves.

We can hang with good teams when dialed in. But if the players elect to leave then a good chunk of that skill gets eroded in a year.

Reactions: roccerfeller

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Chipman said the local business community does not drive season-ticket sales, as is the case in other Canadian markets. That needs to change, said Chipman.

“Eighty-five per cent of our season-ticket base is made up of personal accounts. Only 15 per cent held by biz. Compared to our Canadian counterparts who enjoy a range of 45 per cent to 85 per cent of accounts being held by business."

Not sure why people think this is the Jets just messaging / threatening the individual fan to buy more Season tickets, because it's not. Yes, everyone is going to see and get the message, but the message was given at a business meeting and was really intended for the business community to step up.

Businesses not owning season tickets was always seen to be a big issue in Winnipeg and that was the same issue that people had with Quebec City ever getting a team again. The business support in Winnipeg must be higher, but Covid took a big bite out of that. Sure the on ice product has not been great, but it was Covid that caused businesses to cancel their season tickets.

The vast majority ( ~85% ) of season tickets in Toronto are owned by businesses compared to 15% in Winnipeg. That's a massive difference.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Good point. It's not like the media haven't also been quietly trumpeting that notion as well. Many are indicating a big summer and plenty of changes coming.

I'd wager the org knows exactly who is open to staying and who they have to move. I'm also sure the media has been shared tidbits of news on this to get some advanced messaging out.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Chipman said the local business community does not drive season-ticket sales, as is the case in other Canadian markets. That needs to change, said Chipman.

“Eighty-five per cent of our season-ticket base is made up of personal accounts. Only 15 per cent held by biz. Compared to our Canadian counterparts who enjoy a range of 45 per cent to 85 per cent of accounts being held by business."

Not sure why people think this is the Jets just messaging / threatening the individual fan to buy more Season tickets, because it's not. Yes, everyone is going to see and get the message, but the message was given at a business meeting and was really intended for the business community to step up.

Businesses not owning season tickets was always seen to be a big issue in Winnipeg and that was the same issue that people had with Quebec City ever getting a team again. The business support in Winnipeg must be higher, but Covid took a big bite out of that. Sure the on ice product has not been great, but it was Covid that caused businesses to cancel their season tickets.

The vast majority of season tickets in Toronto are owned by businesses compared to 15% in Winnipeg. That's a massive difference.

I agree he was pushing it at the Luncheon yesterday that Winnipeg Biz needs to step up. The people have and had stepped up for years now its time for the people making record profits to step up. He was really forth coming I felt yesterday

I know quite a few medium to larger businesses in Winnipeg and none of them own Corporate tickets. Individual tickets yes but no group corporate tickets. Its strange. Most teams have a large amount of season tickets bought by these types of Businesses and then hand them out to employees or customers who then proceed to spend money at the games because the tickets were "free".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The vast majority ( ~85% ) of season tickets in Toronto are owned by businesses compared to 15% in Winnipeg. That's a massive difference.

No issue with this. They do need more business support in that regard. No idea why they couldn't lobby to the other corporations behind closed doors without putting that marketing piece out though.

Well Mark needs to sell his product to the corporations. There are plenty of big ones in town that they should be able to buy up tickets.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Was at the Chamber of Commerce luncheon yesterday for Bell CEO Mirko Birbic and Chipman was pleading that we needed to increase season ticket sales for next year. Down 3500 season tickets this year

If only 15% STH are indeed business related, the request is justified in that context

Winnipeg had the business community in 2010 to support an NHL franchise. Sure it’s the smallest market in the league but it has grown since then and it still has the business community required to support an nhl franchise. There is a positive feedback relationship between the business community and the NHL in Winnipeg so this is definitely one area they should look to grow the season ticket base. In the next decade certain businesses are likely going to boom in Manitoba so it is fair for Chipman to lightly critique the lower proportion of business STHs

With respect to the non-business fan STH, I’ve only been to a handful of jets games in person so I rely on those who are STH’s to form an opinion and the general consensus is the fan experience could be improved so I hope this is the first step towards improving it

The season ticket drive is interesting because it has validity; one needs butts in seats but also the general response on social media trends towards “hey TN could be doing so much more to improve the game day experience”, Most of The asks don’t even seem unreasonable

I’m not sure how to feel about the campaign ad though. I get they’re trying to evoke pride in the team and community but something about it was just a bit off putting - almost like they’re jumping the gun a bit as the entirety of the sporting world has been impacted by the pandemic not just North American sports and not just specifically the nhl team in Winnipeg

We get caught up in social media and in forums that can sometimes become an echo chamber. The city has also grown a fair bit since 2011; the ad’s focus misses the mark in this regard. Instead of evoking imagery of losing the 1.0 team, my opinion is that it should put focus on the fans in a positive manner that focuses on growing the base

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
any benefit to local businesses to have jets in town?

Is a pro sports team city still a thing? Austin Texas has done fine without a team.

Winnipeg still grew and did fine without a team and would continue to do fine without one today. It would continue to grow at a similar pace as it mainly grows through immigration and the vast majority of people don’t move there for the NHL

So sure, Winnipeg would do fine

but there has been an undeniable net positive to businesses in the area by having thousands of people flock to pubs and restaurants 82 more times per year than they otherwise would, both downtown and in suburbs, as well as local businesses before and after home games and even preseason games

The issue was the ad I think

His message to the business community is perfectly fine, is entirely reasonable, and rational

Winnipeg has the business community to support moving that number upwards from 15%

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Winnipeg still grew and did fine without a team and would continue to do fine without one today. It would continue to grow at a similar pace as it mainly grows through immigration and the vast majority of people don’t move there for the NHL

So sure, Winnipeg would do fine

but there has been an undeniable net positive to businesses in the area by having thousands of people flock to pubs and restaurants 82 more times per year than they otherwise would, both downtown and in suburbs, as well as local businesses before and after home games and even preseason games

The issue was the ad I think

His message to the business community is perfectly fine, is entirely reasonable, and rational

Winnipeg has the business community to support moving that number upwards from 15%

Yeah if it's the business community that needs to step up then run targeted adds at that market segment. We didn't need to that other general add to everyone.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If only 15% STH are indeed business related, the request is justified in that context

Winnipeg had the business community in 2010 to support an NHL franchise. Sure it’s the smallest market in the league but it has grown since then and it still has the business community required to support an nhl franchise. There is a positive feedback relationship between the business community and the NHL in Winnipeg so this is definitely one area they should look to grow the season ticket base. In the next decade certain businesses are likely going to boom in Manitoba so it is fair for Chipman to lightly critique the lower proportion of business STHs

With respect to the non-business fan STH, I’ve only been to a handful of jets games in person so I rely on those who are STH’s to form an opinion and the general consensus is the fan experience could be improved so I hope this is the first step towards improving it

The season ticket drive is interesting because it has validity; one needs butts in seats but also the general response on social media trends towards “hey TN could be doing so much more to improve the game day experience”, Most of The asks don’t even seem unreasonable

I’m not sure how to feel about the campaign ad though. I get they’re trying to evoke pride in the team and community but something about it was just a bit off putting - almost like they’re jumping the gun a bit as the entirety of the sporting world has been impacted by the pandemic not just North American sports and not just specifically the nhl team in Winnipeg

We get caught up in social media and in forums that can sometimes become an echo chamber. The city has also grown a fair bit since 2011; the ad’s focus misses the mark in this regard. Instead of evoking imagery of losing the 1.0 team, my opinion is that it should put focus on the fans in a positive manner that focuses on growing the base
The obvious issue is family economics for fans who simply cannot afford season tickets right now. I think that it’s a lot more affordable for many businesses to spend 10k a year in season tickets than families, especially if they can write off a portion of the expense.

Everything has gone up substantially and most wages have not even come close to keeping pace. The only way we see a return to regular sell outs is if the business community pitches in more.

Years of gouging season ticket holders without adding to the game day experience didn’t exactly build good will either. And although I can only speculate on how much Chipman is involved in the day to day hockey decisions of the Jets, the infamous “Jets Blind Loyalty “ to its hockey ops staff has to end. At least it will send a message to fans that winning will always be the main priority.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Any idea if this affects the luxury suites too? Because that's the big ticket.

Jets 1.0 survived 17 years in the NHL. I would think that's probably our timeline for Jets 2.0, before Chipman and co. get a nice return on their investment, and Winnipeg becomes a minor league city again outgrown and outpriced by the NHL.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
was a season ticket holder for 8 yrs and got priced out. Prices are going up way fast as well as the concessions prices and even parking. Add that to stale wages and rising inflation and folks just don't have the cash. Can also include the in-game experience not being the same along with next to no perks for a season ticket holder and it shouldn't be a surprise. True North is investing a lot in downtown and the only reason i personally go downtown is due to the arena and nothing else. I know this seems more tailored for Businesses to spend on the team but this is an expensive luxury only getting more expensive in a cheap town that perhaps is only getting cheaper from the looks of it in regards to the 15% quoted.

Last edited:

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Any idea if this affects the luxury suites too? Because that's the big ticket.

Jets 1.0 survived 17 years in the NHL. I would think that's probably our timeline for Jets 2.0, before Chipman and co. get a nice return on their investment, and Winnipeg becomes a minor league city again outgrown and outpriced by the NHL.
I don't see that this where we're headed. TNSE wouldn't be investing in loads of infrastructure downtown that is partially dependant on a major league team if they had a long term vision of leaving the city.

The problem now is relatively straightforward compared to the early 90s. Sell tickets. We have an arena, we have an owner - that was the problem with Jets 1.0 and the reason they left.

Also, I'd like to see comparison of ticket revenue across the league. I watch some games on TV and there are some teams where you could fire a pick into the stands and be confident you wouldn't hit anyone.

The Jets are trying to increase revenue and their current marketing had a bad tone. If the Jets are in trouble then 5 or 6 other teams in the league are too.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Based on capacity:

* note... I am not counting the Arizona team because of the small size of their arena.

- 7 out of 31 teams are at 100% capacity or higher
- 11 out of 31 teams are between 95% and 99.9% capacity
- 7 out of 31 teams are between 90% and 94.9% capacity
- 6 out of 31 teams are below 90% capacity

Winnipeg is at 93.6% capacity. Puts them at 21st out of 31 teams, The ten teams lower than the Jets...

Calgary 93.2
Columbus 93.0
New Jersey 92.1 ( 3rd overall in the league in points )
Philadelphia 90.3
Ottawa 89.8
Anaheim 86.7
Florida 86.3
Chicago 83.4
Buffalo 81.5
San Jose 79.2

NO Canadian teams are at 100% capacity. This should be a concern to the NHL and IMO shows that prices are too high for the average person.

Toronto 99.6
Montreal 99.1
Vancouver 98.9
Edmonton 95,6 ( Even with the best player in the league )
Winnipeg 93,6
Calgary 93.2
Ottawa 89.8

Last edited:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Based on capacity:

* note... I am not counting the Arizona team because of the small size of their arena.

Winnipeg is at 93.6% capacity. Puts them at 21st out of 31 teams, The ten teams lower than the Jets...

Calgary 93.2
Columbus 93.0
Philadelphia 90.3
Ottawa 89.8
Anaheim 86.7
Florida 86.3
Chicago 83.4
Buffalo 81.5
San Jose 79.2

NO Canadian teams are at 100% capacity. This should be a concern to the NHL and IMO shows that prices are too high for the average person.

Toronto 99.6
Montreal 99.1
Vancouver 98.9
Winnipeg 93,6
Calgary 93.2
Ottawa 89.8

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal are priced just right... 100% sold out would tell you that tickets are priced too low. The ideal is probably 99% and a bit. Vancouver could probably jack up prices a tad to get into the 99% range.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have been a STH since day one and will continue again next season. Many of the suggestions that I have made to improve the STH experience have actually happened as I continually steer my rep and all feedback I have with the team in the direction of what the Preds do for STH.

STH discount has risen, the ability to trade seats to games that you can’t attend is being introduced, the ability to buy tickets is any section to any game at season ticket holder prices is awesome. These were suggestions that I had made. I also suggested selling wine at more than the hard booze bar that seems to have worked out as I see many fans with a glass of wine now. Many other fans must have had the same suggestions and/or the Jets are actually looking at what other franchises/ venues are doing.

When I became a STH I said that I would be happy with a .500 home record. I admit I am a Jets fan but I am also an NHL fan. I love watching McDavid, Crosby etc… play hockey in downtown Winnipeg.

Is there room for improvement? Yes, lots. As I get older I am looking for different things than chugging back a bunch of beer and chanting Go Jets Go.

I had the pretzel bites last night and they were horrible. The signage at the food kiosk outside my section says Ice Cream. There has been no Ice Cream available all season and I have let the Jets know about the misleading signage.

My next suggestion is food and beverage delivery service in the entire 100 sections. I was just at the Leafs and Raptors games and this was a great feature. I was up and running on the app and ordering in less than 5 minutes.

The current food and beverage discount does not extend to wine and some other items. Basically just beer, popcorn and pizza. That can be improved.

Lots of room for improvement but it is getting better than just being lucky to be a SSH with no real perks otherwise.

I am not a fan of GIST of the new marketing campaign. Increase perks and make SSH feel special goes a long way.

I will now fill out my Jets game day survey from today.

Go Jets Go

I love this post. You have taken ownership of your experience and are working with TNSE to get better. I like to hear that they have listened to you a bit at least.

What do you mean by trading seats to games you can't attend?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Based on capacity:

Calgary 93.2
Columbus 93.0
Philadelphia 90.3
Ottawa 89.8
Anaheim 86.7
Florida 86.3
Chicago 83.4
Buffalo 81.5
San Jose 79.2

Toronto 99.6
Montreal 99.1
Vancouver 98.9
Winnipeg 93,6
Calgary 93.2
Ottawa 89.8

Yup, COVID did a number on the league and pro sports in general. It's going to take a couple of years for the economy and peoples financial outlook to improve. This is really year one of normalcy. I'm not surprised things are soft at live events.

Now the business community is able to and should step up and better support the product given the profits many are making.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I love this post. You have taken ownership of your experience and are working with TNSE to get better. I like to hear that they have listened to you a bit at least.

What do you mean by trading seats to games you can't attend?Let’s say you have 2 tickets to SanJose and 2 tickets to Anaheim as you would as a SSH. Within 48 hours of pick drop you can trade in for example your 2 San Jose tickets and select 2 available equal value tickets to the Anaheim game. Go to the game with a group of 4. Do the same thing with 2 games x2 and end up with 6 tickets to a game. This likely would not be an option for games like Leafs and Habs but a nice feature to have for other games.
As a SSH you could trade back tickets to the Jets within 48 hours of puck drop and select additional equal value tickets to another game. Trade in your pair of Ducks tickets to get an additonal pair to the Sharks and bring 2 more friends to the game or bring the kids. The Preds have it as do other smaller market franchises.

The Jets are introducing it for next season. Habs and Leaf’s likely blocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad