OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I actually think the biggest political group is hunters. I don't think most people understand the sheer size of the hunting/outdoor industry and the political power and money they have.

They are disjointed in many instances and do have competing interests frequently. But in most of these states a politician would much rather piss off a rancher than the hunting community.

That's why we see so many politicians on fake duck and pheasant hunting photo ops.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It seems much more than that. Of course only I have have anecdotal evidence, mixed with some scientific data from Fish and Wildlife departments but it is a fact that the number of grizzly bears has exploded over the last 20-ish years throughout much of the US West and Canada...but there is a second issue that I hear almost no one talk about (mainly because it's much more politically charged), on top of the grizzly bear population there has been a wolf population explosion all along the exact same range of the grizzly. The American West, British Columbia, and the Canadian Rockies are vast but no matter big an area is there is only so much food to go around.

Two apex predators in the midst of a population explosions that share many of the same food sources forces those populations to expand to nontraditional areas to find new food sources.

Late August through September seems prime time for most of these grizzly attacks in Wyoming, Montana and in the National Parks, British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies. And it makes sense. This is the time that calories are at a premium before winter.

I don't think these animals are actively seeking people, not at all....but their expanded range is putting them more in contact with people and I believe the competition for food is absolutely making them more aggressive.

We are now starting to see aggressive behavior from wolves in various places. Banff has a pack that has shown aggressive behavior towards people in camp sites on numerous occasions over several years. I personally believe this is a result of competition for food that stems from their population reaching carry capacity.

Why your "forest department" part of government doesn't open the hunt? If they are so worry about green planet, CO2 and other stuff, they should control population of predators. Its nothing new. Even if it doesn't look green activists friendly.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Why your "forest department" part of government doesn't open the hunt? If they are so worry about green planet, CO2 and other stuff, they should control population of predators. Its nothing new.
You would think it's pretty simple but there are so many competing interests all with a million different agendas.

Some times the person who yells loudest wins.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You would think it's pretty simple but there are so many competing interests all with a million different agendas.

Some times the person who yells loudest wins.
I understand what are you talking about. It is important not just to shout loudly, it is important who has a mouthpiece in their hands. And a camera. I have a strong feeling that these people either have something bad in mind, or simply do not understand what they are doing and what it will lead to.

It's hard to judge from my side, I'm far away and only scraps of information reach me, so I want to know how it is perceived from your side. How much is the initiative to replace animal meat with insect meat progressing and developing? How it effects on life of the regular citizen? If effects at all.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I actually think the biggest political group is hunters. I don't think most people understand the sheer size of the hunting/outdoor industry and the political power and money they have.

They are disjointed in many instances and do have competing interests frequently. But in most of these states a politician would much rather piss off a rancher than the hunting community.

That's why we see so many politicians on fake duck and pheasant hunting photo ops.

Are hunters and the NRA the same thing? By me they overlap but really they shouldn’t. NRA are a bunch of scared money raisers while hunters don’t have to be scared.

We recently moved and one of the houses we looked at had some hunting equipment. Some compound bows a fake deer target and a couple of rifles and rods and four wheelers. Another had similar stuff but had about 20 guns laying around in a closet including a couple of AR-15s that I could have just walked out with if I was so inclined.

I’m in favor of gun ownership so long as it is handled like cars. Show proficiency pass a safety test and don’t shoot while intoxicated. And you have to carry insurance. The NRA would have you believe I’m trying to set up their children to carried off by nefarious government agents in the middle of the night for suggesting some basic common sense. Really embarrassing.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are hunters and the NRA the same thing? By me they overlap but really they shouldn’t. NRA are a bunch of scared money raisers while hunters don’t have to be scared.

We recently moved and one of the houses we looked at had some hunting equipment. Some compound bows a fake deer target and a couple of rifles and rods and four wheelers. Another had similar stuff but had about 20 guns laying around in a closet including a couple of AR-15s that I could have just walked out with if I was so inclined.

I’m in favor of gun ownership so long as it is handled like cars. Show proficiency pass a safety test and don’t shoot while intoxicated. And you have to carry insurance. The NRA would have you believe I’m trying to set up their children to carried off by nefarious government agents in the middle of the night for suggesting some basic common sense. Really embarrassing.
There is definitely a lot of crossover from the hunting community and the NRA. I think the NRA has fallen out of favor with most hunters after the financial issues and pure corruption that was exposed a while ago. More hunting based organization are more prominent like Safari Club International, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

From my perspective guns aren't a part of hunting and archers have their own organizations and are very well represented. Archery Trade Association, Archery Manufacturers Organization, Pope and Young, National Field Archers Association, Professional Bowhunters Society, Compton Traditional Archers...and every state has there own Bowhunters organizations.

Most hunters aren't single focused like I am. I only bowhunt, most others participate in every season available. So they are likely to support all these organizations.

For them the gun issues is very much directly related to hunting, not me...I don't believe the second amendment has anything to do with hunting.... I'm one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

My3Sons

Sponsor
There is definitely a lot of crossover from the hunting community and the NRA. I think the NRA has fallen out of favor with most hunters after the financial issues and pure corruption that was exposed a while ago. More hunting based organization are more prominent like Safari Club International, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

From my perspective guns aren't a part of hunting and archers have their own organizations and are very well represented. Archery Trade Association, Archery Manufacturers Organization, Pope and Young, National Field Archers Association, Professional Bowhunters Society, Compton Traditional Archers...and every state has there own Bowhunters organizations.

Most hunters aren't single focused like I am. I only bowhunt, most others participate in every season available. So they are likely to support all these organizations.

For them the gun issues is very much directly related to hunting, not me...I don't believe the second amendment has anything to do with hunting.... I'm one of those.

Probably because you don’t own a gun. While understand many uses for firearms - hunting, target shooting, military collectibles (I bought my dads a WW1 Lee Enfield rifle some years ago because he has always collected old antique firearms) and self defense where appropriate - I laugh at the loonies who think their AR-15 would ever actually stop anything if the government really came to take their firearms away. Ask the Branch Davidians how that worked out. There are a number of those folks by me and I’m guessing that hunting is only done because it’s the only way they can use long arms. Real hunting is rare by me. Most just get lit up and sit in a deer stand. What you do is much different.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably because you don’t own a gun. While understand many uses for firearms - hunting, target shooting, military collectibles (I bought my dads a WW1 Lee Enfield rifle some years ago because he has always collected old antique firearms) and self defense where appropriate - I laugh at the loonies who think their AR-15 would ever actually stop anything if the government really came to take their firearms away. Ask the Branch Davidians how that worked out. There are a number of those folks by me and I’m guessing that hunting is only done because it’s the only way they can use long arms. Real hunting is rare by me. Most just get lit up and sit in a deer stand. What you do is much different.
Well this conversation could get real weird real fast. But I will say I definitely do believe the people can defend themselves against their own government. It can only work based on broad support though.

The Wacko people had no broad based support. They had no righteous cause to garner that support....the Viet Cong did. The Taliban did. But I'll stop. Because this conversation is weird. But 1000 Americans with sympathy of their community I'd put my money there.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Well this conversation could get real weird real fast. But I will say I definitely do believe the people can defend themselves against their own government. It can only work based on broad support though.

The Wacko people had no broad based support. They had no righteous cause to garner that support....the Viet Cong did. The Taliban did. But I'll stop. Because this conversation is weird. But 1000 Americans with sympathy of their community I'd put my money there.

It’s not that weird to me. What you are pointing out is the difference between genuine self defense and loonies. As you’ve noted the average person isn’t foaming at the mouth about anything. Sure if enough loonies got together they’d be dangerous but as someone living among them I’ll just say they aren’t like you. I could probably kill most of them in single combat and I am an old broken down average sized guy. All I’d have to do is bait a trap with poisoned cupcakes and fried anything and they’d all come running.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s not that weird to me. What you are pointing out is the difference between genuine self defense and loonies. As you’ve noted the average person isn’t foaming at the mouth about anything. Sure if enough loonies got together they’d be dangerous but as someone living among them I’ll just say they aren’t like you. I could probably kill most of them in single combat and I am an old broken down average sized guy. All I’d have to do is bait a trap with poisoned cupcakes and fried anything and they’d all come running.
A poisoned cupcake to catch rednecks. It sounds like an SNL skit about the Civil War :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is an excellent article outlining from when the grizzly bear was put on the endangered species list in 1975 and the subsequent cort cases and rulings that have taken place. The Greater Yellowstone grizzly has been considered "recovered" since 2007. They're currently still fighting issue 16 years later and the population grows just about every year.

The numbers are also very under represented. This article list the Greater Yellowstone population as 700, I've seen estimates closer to 1200. Apparently it's a discrepancy in the area not the number of bears. The smaller number is from Park biologist that focus solely on the animals in the Park.

Pretty wild how much time and money has gone into this.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This is an excellent article outlining from when the grizzly bear was put on the endangered species list in 1975 and the subsequent cort cases and rulings that have taken place. The Greater Yellowstone grizzly has been considered "recovered" since 2007. They're currently still fighting issue 16 years later and the population grows just about every year.

The numbers are also very under represented. This article list the Greater Yellowstone population as 700, I've seen estimates closer to 1200. Apparently it's a discrepancy in the area not the number of bears. The smaller number is from Park biologist that focus solely on the animals in the Park.

Pretty wild how much time and money has gone into this.

great read.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
did one final round of golf this afternoon before the course closes on monday.... a solid round but my P club is now in two pieces due to a violent throw at my golf bag.....

thanks to my playing partner deciding to talk during one of my swings on an easy 30' chip on to the green .....i flubbed it and just turned and whipped the thing......

its ok ....i have and extra P club thats exactly the same as the broken one.....just needs a better grip put on....

who the f*** talks during someones swing?! i beat my friend by 19 strokes

we're usually about 3 or 4 apart in score.......so ya....theres that i guess

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is fascinating. I know most people don't care about stuff like this but I absolutely love it....not only the history, but forgotten history that is right under our noses.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One more bit of useless information

Akshara Vijay pulled off a major upset in the women's senior recurve division at the Nationals. She is now in a prime spot to make the US Olympic Team. Akshsra is a member of my rrchery club Waxibo Archers. So I'll be rooting hard for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saugus and Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This is fascinating. I know most people don't care about stuff like this but I absolutely love it....not only the history, but forgotten history that is right under our noses.

Its a great read. I'm a big fan of fights history, at least as a listener or reader. Memory isn't working well to be good in it.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Its a great read. I'm a big fan of fights history, at least as a listener or reader. Memory isn't working well to be good in it.
New Jersey is such an interesting place and no one seems to know about it. Over 90 Battles over 200 skirmishes in our battle for independence.

Massachusetts and Virginia seem to get all the press, but New Jersey was where the great many battles were fought. It was the crossroads of the Revolution.

We've been defiant bastards from the beginning. Massachusetts, New York and most other cities folded pretty quickly when faced with the full force of the British. Not New Jersey, we laugh and we fight.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
New Jersey is such an interesting place and no one seems to know about it. Over 90 Battles over 200 skirmishes in our battle for independence.

Massachusetts and Virginia seem to get all the press, but New Jersey was where the great many battles were fought. It was the crossroads of the Revolution.

We've been defiant bastards from the beginning. Massachusetts, New York and most other cities folded pretty quickly when faced with the full force of the British. Not New Jersey, we laugh and we fight.

my spirit lives in jersey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
my spirit lives in jersey
That's called the "spirit of the jerseys" by Thomas Paine in the "Crisis" or the American crisis

Basically Pain said we let General Howe sit by and ravage the country but if we unleashed New Jersey we could have propelled the British much sooner

" we have none to blame but ourselves. But no great deal is lost yet. All that Howe has been doing for this month past, is rather a ravage than a conquest, which the spirit of the Jerseys, a year ago, would have quickly repulsed, and which time and a little resolution will soon recover."

The Spirit of the Jerseys is yearly festival we still have here.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I understand that the presence of infrastructure at that moment, but its insufficient development allowed grouping, hiding, organizing guerrilla attacks and actively resisting.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I understand that the presence of infrastructure at that moment, but its insufficient development allowed grouping, hiding, organizing guerrilla attacks and actively resisting.

It was different in New Jersey. They definitely used unconventional tactics but a lot of the fighting was New Jersey vs others from New Jersey. Loyalist vs Patriots and just good old fashioned grudges.

The people of New Jersey were constantly fighting even before the revolution. Mostly land disputes.

Historians say it was like a mini civil war in New Jersey. With 1/3 supporting Independence, 1/3 Loyalist and 1/3 neutral or drifting back and forth.

"For the residents of New Jersey, the fight for American Independence meant eight years of civil war. Both armies vied for the food, forage, wood, and other resources that the countryside could provide and launched disruptive forays against each other.

New Jersey’s population was culturally diverse, dispersed and primarily agrarian. The ravages of occupation forced a reluctant population to take sides. Bitter divisions developed within communities. Ad hoc militias waged unconventional warfare. Neighbor turned upon neighbor and allegiances shifted with the fortunes of war. "

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It was different in New Jersey. They definitely used unconventional tactics but a lot of the fighting was New Jersey vs others from New Jersey. Loyalist vs Patriots and just good old fashioned grudges.

The people of New Jersey were constantly fighting even before the revolution. Mostly land disputes.

Historians say it was like a mini civil war in New Jersey. With 1/3 supporting Independence, 1/3 Loyalist and 1/3 neutral or drifting back and forth.

"For the residents of New Jersey, the fight for American Independence meant eight years of civil war. Both armies vied for the food, forage, wood, and other resources that the countryside could provide and launched disruptive forays against each other.

New Jersey’s population was culturally diverse, dispersed and primarily agrarian. The ravages of occupation forced a reluctant population to take sides. Bitter divisions developed within communities. Ad hoc militias waged unconventional warfare. Neighbor turned upon neighbor and allegiances shifted with the fortunes of war. "

I’ve fished that spot on the Mullica from that previous article you posted, didn’t know about those boats there, pretty wild.

I didn’t realize how much revolutionary war stuff is down here along the coast. There are historical plaques everywhere but easy to miss if you aren’t looking for them.

The LBI massacre and ensuing pursuit of John Bacon always fascinated me, I go up to Barnegat Lighthouse a lot. It’s a good example of these crazy tit for tat grudges during that time. After the large scale battles were finished and negotiations and a treaty was being drawn up some of the very last skirmishes of the war were still going on in NJ.

This is a pretty good site:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Good old neighborly relations between close and exactly the same people. Ageless classics)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’ve fished that spot on the Mullica from that previous article you posted, didn’t know about those boats there, pretty wild.

I didn’t realize how much revolutionary war stuff is down here along the coast. There are historical plaques everywhere but easy to miss if you aren’t looking for them.

The LBI massacre and ensuing pursuit of John Bacon always fascinated me, I go up to Barnegat Lighthouse a lot. It’s a good example of these crazy tit for tat grudges during that time. After the large scale battles were finished and negotiations and a treaty was being drawn up some of the very last skirmishes of the war were still going on in NJ.

This is a pretty good site:

This is awesome. Thanks.

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad