OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
par 3 course near here has maybe a couple of weeks left in the season

19 bucks after 4pm..... takes about 3 hours for the 2590 yards ...sunset around 7 and still light out.....just enough to get the round in

going to book a round for later today and enjoy a couple of beers

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
the above golf didnt happen, but it's on tomorrow noon with a friend instead. for the best. i can't hit the ball and look up quick enough to track it... it would be a pointless round as frustration would set in and i would have alter my game to see the ball....not good for a novice. "four eyes on the ball" right?

a fitting song...such great guitar work and live!.... blows the 11 minute live aid version out of the water hazard. (was waaay too f***ing long) ...that's what she said

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
for a commute to NYC from Long Branch or Red Bank train stations, or any bus lot nearby central jersey Monmouth county, would it be better to take a train or bus for a daily commute?

possibly may need to and im curious which is more reliable, safer, cheaper, etc..

figured id ask since a lot probably have or still do!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
for a commute to NYC from Long Branch or Red Bank train stations, or any bus lot nearby central jersey Monmouth county, would it be better to take a train or bus for a daily commute?

possibly may need to and im curious which is more reliable, safer, cheaper, etc..

figured id ask since a lot probably have or still do!
I think there is ferry service available too but I know a lot of commuters take the train from these areas as well.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It was getting out of hand on the team thread so I'll this here instead.

I love this isolated bass version of Number of the Beast.

out of hand indeed....it was the teireny that started it all.

i digress.

iso on bass is always a great listen....i play a fender p bass also... f***ing growl, bite....the ultimate bass..... ...its got that sound for anything

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is all the last several weeks ...the first one is today. Don't let anyone ever tell you "bear attacks are rare".

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
New record(state) King fish caught...I didn't even know we got them up here. If you look up their range it's North Carolina to Florida.

That’s freaking awesome, I think they were fishing for Spanish Mackerel. The kings range goes north a bit farther but I believe that’s when they’re juveniles.

We had that 10 day stretch of crazy north east wind maybe stirred things up. I saw a sea turtle yesterday while surfing right in front of me. I’ve only seen them offshore.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is all the last several weeks ...the first one is today. Don't let anyone ever tell you "bear attacks are rare".

It’s an unfortunate consequence of development in the rural areas. It puts humans in much closer proximity to bears. Always a dangerous thing.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
@devilsblood
My one qualification would be, as that generation the first to really explore that genre of music, they enjoyed the fruits of first. The options were seemingly limitless. Now, it's hard to do anything that hasn't already been done.

It's not coincidence how much great rock music was made then, with so little being made now.
A couple of things on this. First being that...it's always possible to do things that haven't already been done. It's simply a matter of creativity. Going outside and beyond the bounds that currently exist.

Second thing is...there may be limits on what sounds fresh or interesting or new from a recording/production standpoint...but the possibilities to create something that's interesting and sophisticated from a harmonic, rhythmic, or song structure standpoint is literally endless. No different than a painter who only has so many colors to work with still being able to craft something beautiful and complex that people look at it in awe.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s an unfortunate consequence of development in the rural areas. It puts humans in much closer proximity to bears. Always a dangerous thing.

It seems much more than that. Of course only I have have anecdotal evidence, mixed with some scientific data from Fish and Wildlife departments but it is a fact that the number of grizzly bears has exploded over the last 20-ish years throughout much of the US West and Canada...but there is a second issue that I hear almost no one talk about (mainly because it's much more politically charged), on top of the grizzly bear population there has been a wolf population explosion all along the exact same range of the grizzly. The American West, British Columbia, and the Canadian Rockies are vast but no matter big an area is there is only so much food to go around.

Two apex predators in the midst of a population explosions that share many of the same food sources forces those populations to expand to nontraditional areas to find new food sources.

Late August through September seems prime time for most of these grizzly attacks in Wyoming, Montana and in the National Parks, British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies. And it makes sense. This is the time that calories are at a premium before winter.

I don't think these animals are actively seeking people, not at all....but their expanded range is putting them more in contact with people and I believe the competition for food is absolutely making them more aggressive.

We are now starting to see aggressive behavior from wolves in various places. Banff has a pack that has shown aggressive behavior towards people in camp sites on numerous occasions over several years. I personally believe this is a result of competition for food that stems from their population reaching carry capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
It seems much more than that. Of course only I have have anecdotal evidence, mixed with some scientific data from Fish and Wildlife departments but it is a fact that the number of grizzly bears has exploded over the last 20-ish years throughout much of the US West and Canada...but there is a second issue that I hear almost no one talk about (mainly because it's much more politically charged), on top of the grizzly bear population there has been a wolf population explosion all along the exact same range of the grizzly. The American West, British Columbia, and the Canadian Rockies are vast but no matter big an area is there is only so much food to go around.

Two apex predators in the midst of a population explosions that share many of the same food sources forces those populations to expand to nontraditional areas to find new food sources.

Late August through September seems prime time for most of these grizzly attacks in Wyoming, Montana and in the National Parks, British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies. And it makes sense. This is the time that calories are at a premium before winter.

I don't think these animals are actively seeking people, not at all....but their expanded range is putting them more in contact with people and I believe the competition for food is absolutely making them more aggressive.

We are now starting to aggressive behavior from wolves in various places. Banff has a pack that has shown aggressive behavior towards people in camp sites on numerous occasions over several years. I personally believe this is a result of competition for food.

You make an excellent point but aren’t wolves and bears relatively endangered? I didn’t think they had robust populations? Are people killing the wolf and bear game animals? I’ve always supported wolves being reintroduced where they were exterminated. Is that not a good plan? I would like more animals in their natural environment not less but I understand it’s a balance.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You make an excellent point but aren’t wolves and bears relatively endangered? I didn’t think they had robust populations? Are people killing the wolf and bear game animals? I’ve always supported wolves being reintroduced where they were exterminated. Is that not a good plan? I would like more animals in their natural environment not less but I understand it’s a balance.
Bears and wolves aren't even in the least bit endangered. All sides would agree with that. I would make the argument solely based on Wildlife Departments own numbers that both are way over populated.

But this topic is so politically charged it's hard to decipher truth from fiction...then add pure emotion on top of it all. Grizzly bears were taken off the Endangered Species list and put back on by a federal judge and the battle still rages. Regardless of any of the facts the endangered list battle for grizzlies is purely political.

But we are seeing devastating effects on other wildlife populations, like elk, caribou and bison populations. If you take a ride through Yellowstone today vs 20 years ago...there are hardly any elk Biologist say from the height of 20k in late 90's to 6k today....the only thing that changed was the reintroduction of the wolf... that's were the narratives begin...some say that is the natural order being restored others say the numbers are dangerously low...but of course with all things it's much more complicated than just one or the other.

In Canada they just simply lie about it. The woodland caribou in the northern portion of Jasper NP is just about extinct. They blame climate change.... explosion of wolves? Not so much. It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Wildlife management has never depleted a population. To manage wildlife some things need to be hunted.

Some states allow wolf hunting Idaho, Montana and Wyoming do. But it's not really not a pursuit many take on. Wolf harvest tend to be more circumstantial...like a guy out hunting elk sees a wolf and has a tag. That's not really how management is supposed to work.

The other political battle out west is always the state vs federal. There is so much federal land out there that states some times have trouble with management... I mean if you have a management objective for the wolf population but 80% of the wolves are on federal land that has no interest in your objective...well. that's that

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here's a Jasper example:

If you read through this article there is not one mention of wolves, predatation or any thing of the sort. The wolf issue is almost always eliminated from this discussion.

These are the facts:

"In the 1960s, southern Jasper National Park was home to hundreds of caribou. Today there are only about 60 of them left. The Maligne herd was declared extirpated in 2020, while the Tonquin and Brazeau herds are at such low numbers that they might not last much longer. The Tonquin herd is the largest herd left; it only has about 50 caribou, including only nine breeding females"

My3Sons

Sponsor
Here's a Jasper example:

If you read through this article there is not one mention of wolves, predatation or any thing of the sort. The wolf issue is almost always eliminated from this discussion.

These are the facts:

"In the 1960s, southern Jasper National Park was home to hundreds of caribou. Today there are only about 60 of them left. The Maligne herd was declared extirpated in 2020, while the Tonquin and Brazeau herds are at such low numbers that they might not last much longer. The Tonquin herd is the largest herd left; it only has about 50 caribou, including only nine breeding females"

I'm so sick of what should be scientific inquiries becoming partisan. I am so disappointed that our country cannot move past petty nonsense and insists on expanding it rather than learning from it. Animals aren't political. They exist outside of man. If we all dropped dead tomorrow they'd eat our corpses and move on. If non-politicians could deal with this it would probably be worked out. Beyond wolves, what about coyotes? They are rampant here and they shouldn't be.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm so sick of what should be scientific inquiries becoming partisan. I am so disappointed that our country cannot move past petty nonsense and insists on expanding it rather than learning from it. Animals aren't political. They exist outside of man. If we all dropped dead tomorrow they'd eat our corpses and move on. If non-politicians could deal with this it would probably be worked out. Beyond wolves, what about coyotes? They are rampant here and they shouldn't be.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Coyotes are magnificent and are everywhere . Literally everywhere even if we don't know it ..They can live in the middle of Manhattan and hardly a single person know about them...and they do! They've carved out an incredible urban and suburban niche.

Sure pets are at risk but they're there because the food sources are there. It always boils down to food. As horrible as it may sound... domestic cats and small dogs are a food sources...as well as pigeons really any bird, squirrels, chipmunks, deer fawns, mice, rats, moles...just about anything.

In many ways the coyote has become the urban and suburban management plan. They are incredibly discreet and they do a great job keep other populations in check. But with that something needs to keep them in check as well. It's just hard in suburban or urban areas.

Funny, if we go back to the wolf conversation for second...many believe the more recent coyotes incidents we've been seeing is a result of the wolf population... there is a canine pecking order beginning with fox. Coyotes will push fox out of their range and will not tolerate them...and Wolves will push out coyotes and not tolerate them. All about competition for food.

So if you have a wolf population explosion from Arizona/New Mexico all the way up to northern B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan and as far west as western California and Nevada and. as far east as the Great Lakes...where are the coyotes going to get pushed to? California, the south and eastern states.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
I couldn't agree with you more.

Coyotes are magnificent and are everywhere . Literally everywhere even if we don't know it ..They can live in the middle of Manhattan and hardly a single person know about them...and they do! They've carved out an incredible urban and suburban niche.

Sure pets are at risk but they're there because the food sources are there. It always boils down to food. As horrible as it may sound... domestic cats and small dogs are a food sources...as well as pigeons really any bird, squirrels, chipmunks, deer fawns, mice, rats, moles...just about anything.

In many ways the coyote has become the urban and suburban management plan. They are incredibly discreet and they do a great job keep other populations in check. But with that something needs to keep them in check as well. It's just hard in suburban or urban areas.

Funny, if we go back to the wolf conversation for second...many believe the more recent coyotes incidents we've been seeing is a result of the wolf population... there is a canine pecking order beginning with fox. Coyotes will push fox out of their range and will not tolerate them...and Wolves will push out coyotes and not tolerate them. All about competition for food.

So if you have a wolf population explosion from Arizona/New Mexico all the way up to northern B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan and as far west as western California and Nevada and. as far east as the Great Lakes...where are the coyotes going to get pushed to? California, the south and eastern states.

My anecdotal experience suggests there should be enough small game for all of them. Rabbits and armadillos and possums etc. no shortage of them. Deer are plentiful as well. I don’t blame the wolves or the bears. They are just doing what they’ve always done. We need to work on a big game breeding program. All that aside we both know the biggest political group are the ranchers who lose some cattle to the predators. I sympathize with them but I don’t think genocide of wolves or bears so they pay less insurance premiums is the answer either. Maybe it’s time to just kick people out of some of these areas.

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad