OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Help me settle an argument:

Who's responsibility is it to put something away?

The person who took it out of the last person to use it?

So if I took milk out of the refrigerator used it, left it on the table and you used it after me who should put the milk back in the refrigerator?

100% last user.

Another question: If someone breaks something of yours, do they owe you:

1. The value of the item new
2. The current value of the item
3. What you paid for the item

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
100% last user.

Depends on the situation. I had a friend dry fire(released the string with no arrow) one of my favorite bows and the top limb blew up. It was a mistake, he didn't know any better, I probably shouldn't have let him try to draw the bow...let it go it was an accident.

Edit:
But I'd just like the item replaced under other circumstances. So I guess that means 2. Current value?

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
100% last user.

ah...happened to me .

i borrowed a dewalt laser lever from a friend..... i put it on a finished wall corner (magnet hits the steel corner bead)

forgot it was there and hit it walking by.....crash .....the glass where the laser lines fly out breaks.

1. the value of the item was 160.

2. the current value was the same.

3. dont know what he paid...

solution...without telling him before i gave it back it i went and bought the exact same model and gave it to him in return instead (funny enough on sale for 140)

i kept the the damaged one for myself as it still works but no glass. he was cool with it.

this is a simple situation.

now, if someone breaks or damages something that's a one of kind....say for instance a very rare and expensive guitar....

1. the value of new doesnt apply as you cant replace it

2. the current value of said guitar is say....3000 or so? (just random number)

3. if the guitar was inherited then i paid nothing.

point is it depends on the item and what the owner feels is the proper compensation they deserve.

shit, that sounds like a newman "cut the bike in half rant" :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
ah...happened to me .

i borrowed a dewalt laser lever from a friend..... i put it on a finished wall corner (magnet hits the steel corner bead)

forgot it was there and hit it walking by.....crash .....the glass where the laser lines fly out breaks.

1. the value of the item was 160.

2. the current value was the same.

3. dont know what he paid...

solution...without telling him before i gave it back it i went and bought the exact same model and gave it to him in return instead (funny enough on sale for 140)

i kept the the damaged one for myself as it still works but no glass. he was cool with it.

this is a simple situation.

now, if someone breaks or damages something that's a one of kind....say for instance a very rare and expensive guitar....

1. the value of new doesnt apply as you cant replace it

2. the current value of said guitar is say....3000 or so? (just random number)

3. if the guitar was inherited then i paid nothing.

point is it depends on the item and what the owner feels is the proper compensation they deserve.

shit, that sounds like a newman "cut the bike in half rant" :laugh:

I agree it's basically situationally dependent. I had a roommate once break a digital piano of mine doing something dumb. Totally their fault. They only wanted to pay what I paid for it. They knew what I paid. I got a ridiculous deal on a used one from someone. They were basically trying to give it away. I was never going to find another deal like that. The roommate knew what I paid because I kinda bragged about it a lot :laugh: Ultimately they gave me the value of the piano, but it kind of annoyed me they originally only wanted to give me what I paid.

Reactions: JimEIV

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I agree it's basically situationally dependent. I had a roommate once break a digital piano of mine doing something dumb. Totally their fault. They only wanted to pay what I paid for it. They knew what I paid. I got a ridiculous deal on a used one from someone. They were basically trying to give it away. I was never going to find another deal like that. The roommate knew what I paid because I kinda bragged about it a lot :laugh: Ultimately they gave me the value of the piano, but it kind of annoyed me they originally only wanted to give me what I paid.

your roommate lacked common sense on how things work in terms on restitution and a was a cheap prick. even if you paid nothing and it became your property it still has 'worth'

.... gets me thinking about my vehicle insurance.....

i drive a 2007 (16 year old) mazda b2300 ....immaculate condition, 81000 miles (131000 km) on it.....

now, if some moron hits me and writes off my truck what will i get from their insurance company?

kelley blue book value? f*** that.

i paid 7600$ cash private sale in february of 2020.....

another note ...used vehicle prices have gone up

im calling my insurance co. on monday to make sure i wont get screwed if some dick that cant drive f***s me over

also has a cap on the bed.... side wings with shelves, back ambulance doors with windows and steel grates on inside of each...roof rack and pro paint job to match truck..... bought for 350 at a wrecking yard.....

i called a place and priced out all the specs from my find,,,,, ya, 3500 before tax new / 13% tax = 3955 total value

i need to cover my ass.... and like you said, i would never find another deal like that

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

So if I took milk out of the refrigerator used it, left it on the table and you used it after me who should put the milk back in the refrigerator?
Did you only leave it on the table because you knew the other person wanted to use it after you? In that case they should put it away.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did you only leave it on the table because you knew the other person wanted to use it after you? In that case they should put it away.
The actual scenario was my wife took out a bottle of olive oil to drizzle over a flat bread. I had already began to eat my portion and when I saw the oil I thought great idea and I used it.

I'm the morning the bottle of olive oil was still on the table and my wife asked me why I didn't put it away...to which my response was "I didn't take it out"...she said "you were the last to use it"

• Haha

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

You should never have left it out in the first place. Milk ages poorly when exposed to the ambient room temperature. It ages like….wait for it…..it’s coming…..almost here…..milk. You should have been scolded before your wife even used thr milk. Signed….a Dad who has lived this stuff for almost 27 years.

100% last user.

What are you an insurance adjuster? The answer is it depends. Signed…..a lawyer.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The actual scenario was my wife took out a bottle of olive oil to drizzle over a flat bread. I had already began to eat my portion and when I saw the oil I thought great idea and I used it.

I'm the morning the bottle of olive oil was still on the table and my wife asked me why I didn't put it away...to which my response was "I didn't take it out"...she said "you were the last to use it"

ah, thats different .....olive oil on the table...on the counter or wherever "away" is....who cares.... iit not the end of the world

it wont go bad like leaving milk overnight.

...as for the question "why didn't put it away"

the only answer is ....

"it is away. ...away from where it usually is....that's still away"

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We are officially in bow seasons now.

Saturday was opening day of bow season in New Jersey. I didn't go...

I personally think this way too early for bow season. A lot of bucks are still in velvet, fawns still have spots...80+ degree weather... everything is still in a summer pattern. I prefer to let natural cycles dictate the seasons...first cold front, first crisp day gets me up in the morning :)

My3Sons

Sponsor
We are officially in bow seasons now.

Saturday was opening day of bow season in New Jersey. I didn't go...

I personally think this way too early for bow season. A lot of bucks are still in velvet, fawns still have spots...80+ degree weather... everything is still in a summer pattern. I prefer to let natural cycles dictate the seasons...first cold front, first crisp day gets me up in the morning :)

Ok Robin Hood go fetch me the king’s deer. Seriously have fun. It’s clearly a core part of you and it’s great you can enjoy it.

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I watched these two tyers who I admire very much go head to head on the Iris Caddis. You can go to the 49 minute mark to see the head to head comparison...I think mine is better.

Mine
IMG_20230912_141416821.jpg

My3Sons

Sponsor
I watched these two tyers who I admire very much go head to head on the Iris Caddis. You can go to the 49 minute mark to see the head to head comparison...I think mine is better.

Mine
View attachment 742558
And you want to get a job? You don't know how good you have it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Raise you…

if you look really close at the audio you will see me opposite the center of the stage. They did kill it that night from what I recall. Really a shame they fell apart when they did. Sting's first solo album was a must but like many solo artists he was self indulgent over time. He should have returned to the Police in the later 1980s.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if you look really close at the audio you will see me opposite the center of the stage. They did kill it that night from what I recall. Really a shame they fell apart when they did. Sting's first solo album was a must but like many solo artists he was self indulgent over time. He should have returned to the Police in the later 1980s.

I wasn't much of a fan of the direction they were headed in on Synchronicity. There's a few good songs on it, but I honestly think if they stayed together (or got back together in the late 80s) they would have probably went the way of Sting's solo stuff of the same time period.

Only with much better drumming. Stewart Copeland >>>>>>>>>>>>> the people that drummed on Sting's solo records.

All due respect to them, they were probably fine musicians, Stewart Copeland was just GOAT territory for me.

Either way, they're definitely a band I would have loved to see at any point in their original run, even in a stadium. I probably would have went to the 2008-ish reunions if cheap.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was always surprised that Andy Summers was 9 and 10 years older than Sting and Copeland. When I first found out he was that much older than the rest of the band (born on the final day of 1942) I thought it was a typo for 1952, which was the year Copeland was born and the year after Sting was born.

I didn't think he looked any older than the other two guys and even in recent times he sure doesn't. He's looked wayyyyyy better/younger than Stewart Copeland for quite a long time now.

You don't really see a lot of bands come up where there's a member that's that many years older or younger than the rest. Unless we're talking members that aren't original members. Summers is not actually an original member, though he joined in the first year they were a band.

Bon Scott was significantly older than most of the other AC/DC members I guess. He was almost 9 years older than Angus, who was a teenager when the band formed. I actually remember friends of mine being under the impression that Angus was even younger than he really was and that claimed he was only about 15 or 16 on High Voltage. All sources appear to indicate that he was about 20 years old and not 15-16.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I was always surprised that Andy Summers was 9 and 10 years older than Sting and Copeland. When I first found out he was that much older than the rest of the band (born on the final day of 1942) I thought it was a typo for 1952, which was the year Copeland was born and the year after Sting was born.

I didn't think he looked any older than the other two guys and even in recent times he sure doesn't. He's looked wayyyyyy better/younger than Stewart Copeland for quite a long time now.

You don't really see a lot of bands come up where there's a member that's that many years older or younger than the rest. Unless we're talking members that aren't original members. Summers is not actually an original member, though he joined in the first year they were a band.

Bon Scott was significantly older than most of the other AC/DC members I guess. He was almost 9 years older than Angus, who was a teenager when the band formed. I actually remember friends of mine being under the impression that Angus was even younger than he really was and that claimed he was only about 15 or 16 on High Voltage. All sources appear to indicate that he was about 20 years old and not 15-16.

Summers was old enough to have been in a later incarnation of the old sixties group Thr Animals. I agree Copeland was and is a great drummer. I enjoyed Sting’s first solo album. I enjoyed parts of Sunchronicity which felt like a transitional album at the time . Had they reconvened after Sting’s solo album maybe they could have made the fully developed rock album they never quite got together even if moments of all their albums were fantastic.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
cider update....finally done..... 3.3 Gal / 12.5L

and this is just plain cider in 1L sizes...its very dry (only 1 cup of sugar added. it really did need some).....cinnamon, cloves, allspice....thought i had oranges but was wrong so added about 1/2L of OJ while boiling instead of real oranges to the pot....oh well.

it took hours and hours to strain, mash and reboil and strain and mash......... oh man... it think it's excellent though

and not much pulp all things considered....i need to search out some equipment to speed up the process.....this shit is laborious

..... the trees still have a ton to harvest...it's been a few years since they really kicked out a massive yield.....

thinking of doing hard cider with some of them......never done it but i have the glass carboys at the ready

...it would make for nice christmas drunks

Last edited:

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
100% last user.

if the item is replaceable, you replace it. I once broke a friends guitar while at a college party, I bought him a new guitar - It was an expensive lesson but I like to think I did the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad