OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh and a side note Clay Hayes was always well known in the traditional archery community...but he really became famous when he won History channel's "Alone" in season 8.

His self bows proved to be quite effective in the British Columbian wilderness.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
[

The crossbow issue, for me and a lot of other bow hunters isn't really about the object itself. It's mainly about entry into "bow only" seasons.

In most regions, crossbows were always allowed in bow seasons for the handicap or people with a medical exception. Everyone supported that and it seemed reasonable and fair.

Archery seasons were always meant to be "low-impact" on the resources. The difficulty made the success rates very low until the 1990's brought a ton of technological advances. Throughout most 1970's and 80's bowhunter success hovered around 10% throughout most of the country. With that low success rate bow hunters got very long seasons. In the 1980's in New Jersey gun hunters would harvest as much in 1 week as much as bowhunters would in 4 months.

As success rates in archery seasons climbed over the last 30 years as high as 35% and more, gun hunters wanted more than just the short week they used to have. By the mid1990's bowhunters were starting to surpass gun hunters in harvest numbers...but the only way for gun seasons to expand is/was to take parts of established archery seasons.

Now we have a problem. Once firearms enter the woods archery seasons are greatly diminished, pretty much over...gun seasons are chaotic and disruptive to natural movement of the animals...guns in an archery season is kind of like Iron Maiden playing in the college library during exams while kids are trying to study. Once guns enter the woods archery season cease to exist and then you have a "general season"

Thing is a simple bow is an inferior weapon to just about any other conventional hunting method and given the choice most people will choose the more efficient method every single time. Why learn to shoot a bow if you can gun hunt at the same time? Why learn to shoot a bow if you can just get a crossbow, have a greater maximum range and not have to take years to get good?

All these things greatly diminish bow seasons. And we lose future archers in the process.

So it's technology that is the real problem. Bow hunting is supposed to be antiquated it's the basis for it's existence.

Bow making is super fun...lots of different ways and types of bows. I'll post some bow making stuff. Wood lovers always gravitate toward bow making

what you said makes plenty sense. solid post

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
First of all you can't wait something from people if you didn't tell them about it clearly. And even then they still live in their own routine and rhythm. Someone can not connecting with you not because they don't want it but because they are busy and tired, many people are tired now.

Or because they are having bad habits like you mentioned. Or everything in the same time. Did you have some romantic feelings or did you try to carry about her, because if you did and she didn't want it or didn't know about then again you and she have different expectations from communication. If she is important for you as a person or a friend you can try to talk with her about it, may be offer your help, if you will notice she can't accept the truth about her problem, you can try to talk with her perants. But no one ask you about it and there is a chance no one will thanks to you after even if she will going on the healthy path.
We have no romantic feelings for each other and have been friends for over 20 years. We've known each other for probably over 25 years. We did hook up several times in the span of several months, but that was almost 20 years ago (2004) and it was never more than that. We were good friends, we were hanging out on the couch, both of us were single, so we just did it. It felt good, so we did it a few more times. That was that and it never affected the friendship, which has been very strong since. Our friendship is literally like I'm one of the girls or she's one of the guys. I have love for her the same way I do for about 5 or 6 male friends that I have.

She'll be 40 early next year and she's really let herself go. She's always been a big girl (I always thought she was cute), but she must weigh over 300 pounds now. I'm friends with her boyfriend too. He's a good guy, but he's on the drugs too. He's not an abusive guy or anything. Basically, they live with her mom and they also live with their 2 kids. The oldest is from another guy and she just went off to college. I can tell she has a bit of resentment for the mother and seems closer to the grandmother. They'll be living there as long as the mother lives or as long as they live. Pretty good chance her mother will outlive at least one of them, if not both of them. This shit is no joke. Her boyfriend was telling me about all these health ailments he has. He was telling me his blood pressure is some ridiculously high number. He tells me he pisses and shits blood sometimes, but he doesn't see a doctor. He's not even two months older than me and he's one of those people that makes me feel good about my health.

They both work at a restaurant (where her mother is one of the managers) and everything they make goes to their drug habit.

Honestly, I haven't seen them in 5 or 6 years, other than on facetime calls, as they live in Jersey and I haven't even been there in 5 or 6 years. Our mutual friend just saw her a week ago because he was up there visiting and wanted her and the family to meet his new girlfriend, so he dropped by. His family has been friends with her family, so they've known each other almost their entire lives. They go back longer than her and I do. He said she looks awful and nods out while standing up, and he's legitimately afraid she's gonna fall over because she falls asleep while standing up. She's also not afraid to do drugs in front of people she knows and trusts, even if they don't do them. Our mutual friend sees her fairly often, as he lives in Jersey for part of the year still. He said she'll smoke the H right in front of him and he said it smells like something ungodly burning. When she first started this habit (which hasn't been too many years ago) she was only snorting the stuff. Now she's moved to smoking it in the last year or two. Next comes shooting it up, I'm sure, which she claims she'll NEVER do.

This fentanyl/heroin/opiates/whatever really is out of control. When I was a kid, the only people that I knew that did that were people I saw shooting it up on the street over in the city (New York) when we would go over. We didn't really know people that did heroin or smoked crack or meth (which I think was was being called just SPEED when I was a kid) or any of that. Some of us drank (even pretty heavily), some of us smoked weed a few times and some even did it often. Some did shrooms and acid (not me) here and there. There were some cocaine users in town. Some of that got pretty out of control with it. Of course these days, cocaine is now more dangerous than ever because you never know if it's got FENTANYL in it. I'm afraid that 5-10 years, if you buy weed off the street that you might be getting fentanyl in it. And it's still not even legal in Florida, which is dumb (it is in Jersey). I don't smoke it, but I'd rather see people smoking weed (weed that doesn't have FENTANYL in it) than doing other things. I actually find weed to be far less evil than alcohol, but that's for a different topic.

A lot of people are using opiates now. It's crazy. I had a girlfriend OD on it (she lived, only thanks to her drug using friends having access to narcan), I had a guy on the street asking me if I did subs a few years ago (suboxone/subutex) and 6 months before he asked me this, I wouldn't have even known what he was talking about, but thanks to my friend, I became familiar with what that was.

It's a mess. The only time I would ever consider any kind of a pain pill is if I was definitely in the end of life stage and the pain was too much. My grandfather was on percocets for years before he died (he was partially paralyzed) and when he died, I remember someone in the family (who isn't a drug or pill taker) taking a few of his percocets in case they ever needed them for pain. I told them to watch f***ing with that shit, and that was years ago before I even knew what we know now.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Sorting out my sweaters, so I thought I would post some.
20230903_140909.jpg

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We have no romantic feelings for each other and have been friends for over 20 years. We've known each other for probably over 25 years. We did hook up several times in the span of several months, but that was almost 20 years ago (2004) and it was never more than that. We were good friends, we were hanging out on the couch, both of us were single, so we just did it. It felt good, so we did it a few more times. That was that and it never affected the friendship, which has been very strong since. Our friendship is literally like I'm one of the girls or she's one of the guys. I have love for her the same way I do for about 5 or 6 male friends that I have.

She'll be 40 early next year and she's really let herself go. She's always been a big girl (I always thought she was cute), but she must weigh over 300 pounds now. I'm friends with her boyfriend too. He's a good guy, but he's on the drugs too. He's not an abusive guy or anything. Basically, they live with her mom and they also live with their 2 kids. The oldest is from another guy and she just went off to college. I can tell she has a bit of resentment for the mother and seems closer to the grandmother. They'll be living there as long as the mother lives or as long as they live. Pretty good chance her mother will outlive at least one of them, if not both of them. This shit is no joke. Her boyfriend was telling me about all these health ailments he has. He was telling me his blood pressure is some ridiculously high number. He tells me he pisses and shits blood sometimes, but he doesn't see a doctor. He's not even two months older than me and he's one of those people that makes me feel good about my health.

They both work at a restaurant (where her mother is one of the managers) and everything they make goes to their drug habit.

Honestly, I haven't seen them in 5 or 6 years, other than on facetime calls, as they live in Jersey and I haven't even been there in 5 or 6 years. Our mutual friend just saw her a week ago because he was up there visiting and wanted her and the family to meet his new girlfriend, so he dropped by. His family has been friends with her family, so they've known each other almost their entire lives. They go back longer than her and I do. He said she looks awful and nods out while standing up, and he's legitimately afraid she's gonna fall over because she falls asleep while standing up. She's also not afraid to do drugs in front of people she knows and trusts, even if they don't do them. Our mutual friend sees her fairly often, as he lives in Jersey for part of the year still. He said she'll smoke the H right in front of him and he said it smells like something ungodly burning. When she first started this habit (which hasn't been too many years ago) she was only snorting the stuff. Now she's moved to smoking it in the last year or two. Next comes shooting it up, I'm sure, which she claims she'll NEVER do.

This fentanyl/heroin/opiates/whatever really is out of control. When I was a kid, the only people that I knew that did that were people I saw shooting it up on the street over in the city (New York) when we would go over. We didn't really know people that did heroin or smoked crack or meth (which I think was was being called just SPEED when I was a kid) or any of that. Some of us drank (even pretty heavily), some of us smoked weed a few times and some even did it often. Some did shrooms and acid (not me) here and there. There were some cocaine users in town. Some of that got pretty out of control with it. Of course these days, cocaine is now more dangerous than ever because you never know if it's got FENTANYL in it. I'm afraid that 5-10 years, if you buy weed off the street that you might be getting fentanyl in it. And it's still not even legal in Florida, which is dumb (it is in Jersey). I don't smoke it, but I'd rather see people smoking weed (weed that doesn't have FENTANYL in it) than doing other things. I actually find weed to be far less evil than alcohol, but that's for a different topic.

A lot of people are using opiates now. It's crazy. I had a girlfriend OD on it (she lived, only thanks to her drug using friends having access to narcan), I had a guy on the street asking me if I did subs a few years ago (suboxone/subutex) and 6 months before he asked me this, I wouldn't have even known what he was talking about, but thanks to my friend, I became familiar with what that was.

It's a mess. The only time I would ever consider any kind of a pain pill is if I was definitely in the end of life stage and the pain was too much. My grandfather was on percocets for years before he died (he was partially paralyzed) and when he died, I remember someone in the family (who isn't a drug or pill taker) taking a few of his percocets in case they ever needed them for pain. I told them to watch f***ing with that shit, and that was years ago before I even knew what we know now.
Shameless without jokes and fun. Man, if I could advise you something, support you somehow. But it seems to me that society has despaired of fighting this, and now, on the contrary, it promotes and advertises it in all ways. Psychologists promote chemistry in every possible way "for support", earning money on it. It's not so popular here, but it is everywhere where people connect with the part of lazy or young psychologists.
About street traffic - police fight with drugs organisations. But this dragon cant fall.
I see that among people with money, psychological help with "support is a trend" - because it's easy and simple for a doctor, it makes it easier for a patient. And this trend came from advertising and TV shows from Netflix and other stupid modern stuff. But in the end, I see that all my friends who go to psychologists, for the most part, do not cope with their problems, and at the same time they cannot get rid of support. This is not the case with everyone, but it has a place to be. People should be stricter to themselves, more disciplined, have standards. Permissiveness, egocentrism and pity eventually lead people to despair. Which they cover up with a requirement for acceptance.
I feel sorry for your friend, I understand that it is very insulting to watch how a person who was dear to you no longer looks like himself and drowns in his own weakness. And probably already crossed the line that could not be crossed. I understand that her family knows about everything if she doesn't hesitate to smoke in front of them. I really hope that at some point society will get tired of this, all the lisping and pity for weaknesses, and people will start fighting it. But so far, politicians are arguing and fight over the sale of gas through pipes or by ships - at the moment this is more important for them.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

ok but whatever happened to the convenience store woman?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shameless without jokes and fun. Man, if I could advise you something, support you somehow. But it seems to me that society has despaired of fighting this, and now, on the contrary, it promotes and advertises it in all ways. Psychologists promote chemistry in every possible way "for support", earning money on it. It's not so popular here, but it is everywhere where people connect with the part of lazy or young psychologists.
About street traffic - police fight with drugs organisations. But this dragon cant fall.
I see that among people with money, psychological help with "support is a trend" - because it's easy and simple for a doctor, it makes it easier for a patient. And this trend came from advertising and TV shows from Netflix and other stupid modern stuff. But in the end, I see that all my friends who go to psychologists, for the most part, do not cope with their problems, and at the same time they cannot get rid of support. This is not the case with everyone, but it has a place to be. People should be stricter to themselves, more disciplined, have standards. Permissiveness, egocentrism and pity eventually lead people to despair. Which they cover up with a requirement for acceptance.
I feel sorry for your friend, I understand that it is very insulting to watch how a person who was dear to you no longer looks like himself and drowns in his own weakness. And probably already crossed the line that could not be crossed. I understand that her family knows about everything if she doesn't hesitate to smoke in front of them. I really hope that at some point society will get tired of this, all the lisping and pity for weaknesses, and people will start fighting it. But so far, politicians are arguing and fight over the sale of gas through pipes or by ships - at the moment this is more important for them.
It seems like some of this started through the easy prescriptions to medications that have the opiates like oxycodone (percocet) and doctors would give them to anybody at one point. So regular, normal people, even people who may have been a teetotaler like myself, started using them as prescribed and then years later started buying it on street because it's way cheaper. So boom! Now you got a heroin user/addict from someone that may not have even drank an occasional beer a year or two ago, just because they were taking these meds as prescribed, that had the opiates, then they started getting (dope)sick and started buying the other shit, which is cheaper than buying the pills.

I'm not gonna say that's how her problem started, though she did say that her liking for percs got her onto this stuff because it was cheaper, but she was taking percs to get high. She was never on them for prescription purposes.

The guy she had her first kid with was a crackhead. When we had our brief hook up FWB thing, she was off with him, then they got back together at some point and she got pregnant. I guess they were smoking crack and I usually knew when it was time to leave. She stopped smoking crack a long time ago, because from all indications it's much easier to get off that. You don't get sick or anything, you just feel tired and people do that because they just like doing it. People do the other stuff (opiates) because they just have to do it, or they go through hell with the withdrawals.

ok but whatever happened to the convenience store woman?
Loooongggggggggggggg gone.

That's been over since about new years of 2021.

She don't even live in this state anymore, the last I heard. There's no contact with her at all anymore.

She had her own substance issues, though she's never even met the friend I'm speaking of.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

300 lbs? that's some bon scott level stratophere

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
300 lbs? that's some bon scott level stratophere

As soon as I saw Bon Scott, I knew what song was coming! :laugh:

She definitely wasn't 300 at the time we had relations, though she was definitely a bit over 200. She's a fairly tall girl, about 5 foot 9 or 10. Barely shorter than I am. She has a smaller lower body, like her legs are almost skinny, but her upper body is very large.

She's let herself go. She was always a big girl, her mom is a bigger woman (not as big as her though) her dad (who died when she was a little girl) was a big guy from the pictures I've seen. Her sister is a bit on the heavy side, though not nearly as big as she currently is.

She has some weird opinions on women and aging. She cut her hair short about 7 or 8 years ago and has stated that no woman over 40 (which she's not yet 40 until early next year) should have long hair because it looks stupid and isn't fooling anybody. I think she looks just fine with shorter hair, but her views on women over 40 needing to cut their hair is strange. Especially since 40 isn't very old to begin with, unless you're like 20.

She's always been a big girl, though I do think her current size is a direct reflection of her current mental state, where she just doesn't care. I've been there. I was there only about uhhhh.... This time two years ago. And even with how large she is, she still doesn't put as much food in her body as those substances she takes. And her size (as well as some of the other opiate users I've known) really puts to death the stereotype that junkies are these sickly, skinny, emaciated looking individuals. It's not like that all. I'm sure it is for a percentage, but many of them are normal sized or even extremely large.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
this had potential. but wow...what an absolute shit toilet this is

i've never heard a worse sounding guitar ..... one would hope a pro guitar player would be cognizant of what the setup sounds like...... (the red stratocaster).....and he even flashes a grin of delight during the song ... is he deaf?

posting this performance for how it is amazingly bad all around in so many more ways that i'm mentioning

untentional bad version of feedback. 1:57

.....complete with tradiational? dancers.... the whole thing is a f***ing downright mess.....but holy shit, daltrey's abs right? :laugh:

enjoy the comedy. a clown show

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Believe it or not...Jimmy Buffett's death is something significant in my house. When we got word two days ago early in the morning it was pretty sad...

It may not meen much to anyone else, but I'll leave this here for posterity.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
IIRC, she thought this was a bad enough performance of this song to apologize to the audience after. Imagine if that was what you considered a bad performance:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Believe it or not...Jimmy Buffett's death is something significant in my house. When we got word two days ago early in the morning it was pretty sad...

It may not meen much to anyone else, but I'll leave this here for posterity.

I have some bad memories involving Jimmy Buffett's music, but it's not his fault.

I was having a tough time in early 2003 and I actually came down here on vacation to Florida a bunch. I was still living in Jersey. My friend down here used to hang out with a guy he knew that captained these little tour boats that they would take people out into the Gulf on for little cruises for a few hours at a time. He must have had an ipod and there was like 30 different songs on it, with at least 12 or 13 or maybe even 16 or 17 being Jimmy Buffett's. In fact, I had went my whole life not knowing more than 3 or 4 songs of his (Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in paradise are the two that I always knew) and then I became familiar with a decent amount of songs that I had never heard. This guy would play a lot of I guess tropical music. His ipod also had Toots and the Maytals and stuff like that on it. I had a bunch of Jimmy Buffett songs fully embedded in my brain after that, as well as most of the 54-46 lyrics from Toots and the Maytals from hanging out there all day and hearing the guy's ipod or whatever he was playing the stuff on.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jimmy Buffet was smart to stick with what he was good at. He had a very passionate following and will be missed by many. His music wasn’t generally my cup of tea but on a beach on vacation it always hit the spot.
Truth be told I never really liked his music...My wiifes mother was a huge fan of his going back to the 70's. So I learned about him that way...

Later on in the late 90's I came to know Jimmy Buffett as a fly fisherman and conservationist through a guide that knew him and fished with him regularly.

That sort of changed my view of him and his music especially his older stuff... along with some other stories along the way that changed my view of him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Truth be told I never really liked his music...My wiifes mother was a huge fan of his going back to the 70's. So I learned about him that way...

Later on in the late 90's I came to know Jimmy Buffett as a fly fisherman and conservationist through a guide that knew him and fished with him regularly.

That sort of changed my view of him and his music especially his older stuff... along with some other stories along the way that changed my view of him.
He was a big New Orleans Saints fan and was buddies with Sean Payton when he was the coach. He attended training camps and games on and off. Seemed like a very nice guy from people I knew who interacted with him. He had a great run on balance and seemed to really enjoy himself. I had no idea he was a fly fisherman although I'm not surprised he was a conservationist.

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was a big New Orleans Saints fan and was buddies with Sean Payton when he was the coach. He attended training camps and games on and off. Seemed like a very nice guy from people I knew who interacted with him. He had a great run on balance and seemed to really enjoy himself. I had no idea he was a fly fisherman although I'm not surprised he was a conservationist.
He has done a lot for Tarpon and Bonefish Trust which is a phenomenal organization and has done such great things for fisheries throughout the Caribbean. The org started to address the dwindling numbers of bonefish in the keys...but they have expanded to everywhere really.

You can see their mission here.

But I remember seeing Jimmy in an interview, I think it was for 60 minutes, anyway, he was saying that he was just an average musician and guitar player and he said something during the interview like "I wish I could play guitar like Eric Clapton but Eric wishes he could cast a fly rod like me". The funny thing about it is they are both fly fisherman.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He has done a lot for Tarpon and Bonefish Trust which is a phenomenal organization and has done such great things for fisheries throughout the Caribbean. The org started to address the dwindling numbers of bonefish in the keys...but they have expanded to everywhere really.

You can see their mission here.

But I remember seeing Jimmy in an interview, I think it was for 60 minutes, anyway, he was saying that he was just an average musician and guitar player and he said something during the interview like "I wish I could play guitar like Eric Clapton but Eric wishes he could cast a fly rod like me". The funny thing about it is they are both fly fisherman.
I understand the demands of commercial fishing but how in the abstract someone wouldn't be a conservationist is beyond me. Can you imagine thinking preservation of wildlife and ecosystems is bad and pollution is inherently a good thing? Small municipalities are the worst in my experience. If some commercial enterprise shows up with a promise of a few dollars in extra tax revenue they are allowed to do awful things to the local land use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad