OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And if you ever have a chance watch the television show Buccaneers and Bones. Basically celebrities fly fishing.

It's narrated by Tom Brokaw it's filmed mostly in the Bahamas it has Jimmy Kimmel, Michael Keaton , Huey Lewis, Chouinard founder of Patagonia, Lefty Kreh, the writer To McGuine (92 in the Shade) and others.

A lot of it is for Bonefish and Tarpon trust.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I understand the demands of commercial fishing but how in the abstract someone wouldn't be a conservationist is beyond me. Can you imagine thinking preservation of wildlife and ecosystems is bad and pollution is inherently a good thing? Small municipalities are the worst in my experience. If some commercial enterprise shows up with a promise of a few dollars in extra tax revenue they are allowed to do awful things to the local land use.
I think it's mostly short sightedness...I mean there are hardly any mangroves left on the east coast of Florida. Everyone wants picturesque white sand beaches that lead to the water... nobody wants 100 yards of bushes in front of their postcard turquoise waters...resorts pop up and mangroves go down. Sad really.

Never mind those mangroves protect you from hurricanes, winds and all sorts of tides

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm coming up on a year without working. October 11th will be one year.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed this time.

I almost feel guilty for enjoying the unproductivity this much. I flirted with the idea of going back to work but I think I have become too feral over the last year to return to that fake cordialness?

That was always the hardest part. Putting on a face that wasn't me. Corporate speak, cordiality, a feigned politeness to some of the most vicious, back stabbing snakes...and still I sometimes question if I am doing the right thing by not going back to the grind. I don't want for anything. I relatively modestly have enough. But there is something inside me that thinks not producing is just a loser mentality.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm coming up on a year without working. October 11th will be one year.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed this time.

I almost feel guilty for enjoying the unproductivity this much. I flirted with the idea of going back to work but I think I have become too feral over the last year to return to that fake cordialness?

That was always the hardest part. Putting on a face that wasn't me. Corporate speak, cordiality, a feigned politeness to some of the most vicious, back stabbing snakes...and still I sometimes question if I am doing the right thing by not going back to the grind. I don't want for anything. I relatively modestly have enough. But there is something inside me that thinks not producing is just a loser mentality.
I envy you.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I envy you.
It's not as simple as you'd think. Mentally it's very confusing.

Imagine doing something since 1994 then by no choice of your own it's over. The first mental obstacle was not being wanted/needed any longer. I could rationalize that... there's always younger and cheaper and I have no problem with that. In a sense, that's the way it should be. But the "what's next" is a bit daunting.

I have a lot of things to occupy my time but none of it benefits anyone except myself. At some points you start to feel a little self absorbed, a little directionless.

The last 10/12 years of my career was tough and not enjoyable as they tried to move me out of what I enjoyed doing to more of a management role. I resisted for as long as I could but resisting gave me a reputation that probably led to my dismissal. None of it really matters but I struggle with it in my own mind

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Imagine doing something since 1994 then by no choice of your own it's over. The first mental obstacle was not being wanted/needed any longer. I could rationalize that... there's always younger and cheaper and I have no problem with that. In a sense, that's the way it should be. But the "what's next" is a bit daunting.

I have a lot of things to occupy my time but none of it benefits anyone except myself. At some points you start to feel a little self absorbed, a little directionless.

The last 10/12 years of my career was tough and not enjoyable as they tried to move me out of what I enjoyed doing to more of a management role. I resisted for as long as I could but resisting gave me a reputation that probably led to my dismissal. None of it really matters but I struggle with it in my own mind
I think thr only issue is that it wasn’t your choice. You had posted before that you only wanted to work for another couple of years anyway. You could easily get a gig just to have a gig and walk away in two years if it made you feel better but really you have it made. I wish I could survive without working.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think thr only issue is that it wasn’t your choice. You had posted before that you only wanted to work for another couple of years anyway. You could easily get a gig just to have a gig and walk away in two years if it made you feel better but really you have it made. I wish I could survive without working.
The not going out on my own terms is something that really bothers me. I really wanted that 25 years there. Seems silly, I know...I got just about 23.

But I have no bills. No mortgage, no car payment, no large commitments at all. After severance is over, I'll have to pay for a portion of my health insurance but it'll still be greatly subsidized by the company until I'm 62 because of my age and the years service I put in. I can begin taking my pension in 2 years if I choose to at a reduced rate. Not sure what I'm going to do with that, I still have to work out the numbers, but it's there. Besides property taxes, water/sewer, electric, gas I have no obligations at all. It's been that way even before I was let go for the last 5 years since I paid off my mortgage. So I really don't "need" anything.

I put my house on the market and after a couple of offers and 3 weeks, I took it off the market. The original plan
was to move out West. I realized not having a mortgage and living where I do is quite comfortable. I have a spectacular archery range about 5 miles from my house and as crazy as it sounds that was a huge factor in not selling.

Going back to work would be more about personal fulfillment...the human interaction and the development process which I always saw as my creative outlet and so much fun.

It's funny because that situation of not really needing anything made me unmanageable. I exuded "I don't care what you have to say" vibes to anyone that tried to exert authority. Or so I have been told. My yearly reviews became comical the last few years. I'm not even sure that I can work for anyone at this point. It's a very weird situation to answer to a person that knows I don't "need" the job and can't really manipulate me with threat of firing or the promise of promotion or some other sort of meaningless gold star for my forehead.

I guess it's just weird being content. You dream about the day you don't have to work anymore and when it arrives you're like is this it?

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think the mindset shift of retirement is tough. You spend so much of your life working for and taking care of others, and then that sense of purpose goes away abruptly. People who you may have thought depended on you, needed you, were your friends, etc. go away without much fanfare. It's jarring.

I think it's why a lot of highly successful people stay on well past their prime. And then some get depressed when they realize they're not as effective anymore.

The trick is to find something else that gives you purpose. For some people it's grandkids, for others it's new experiences like traveling or new hobbies, and for yet others it's volunteering and community engagement.

For you in particular Jim, you clearly have hobbies, including archery, fishing, and... riling up everybody on here. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
got to catch the syd barrett documentary with a friend this afternoon at a downtown theatre... it was alright (but as expected didnt shed any massive new light on his story) ...there was some footage that i've never seen before though......mostly plenty of insights from the people that knew him ....the directors/producers really did give solid effort getting the interviews and quotes....

in all, it would be a great intro to someone who knows very little to nothing of the syd era floyd....still glad i went to see it as i dont get out much

My3Sons

Sponsor
got to catch the syd barrett documentary with a friend this afternoon at a downtown theatre... it was alright (but as expected didnt shed any massive new light on his story) ...there was some footage that i've never seen before though......mostly plenty of insights from the people that knew him ....the directors/producers really did give solid effort getting the interviews and quotes....

in all, it would be a great intro to someone who knows very little to nothing of the syd era floyd....still glad i went to see it as i dont get out much
It’s not playing here so I’ll have to wait for it to stream. Hopefully my youngest will watch it. He sees Syd as a somewhat mythical figure which is how he can sometimes be portrayed to younger fans. Did that movie feature any of his early interviews where he was quite coherent and thoughtful?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It’s not playing here so I’ll have to wait for it to stream. Hopefully my youngest will watch it. He sees Syd as a somewhat mythical figure which is how he can sometimes be portrayed to younger fans. Did that movie feature any of his early interviews where he was quite coherent and thoughtful?

ya, this was included for instance but not in it's full form

but really, there was not much of that unfortunately...i would hope there would be more but i guess 'the story' needs to move along chronologically and fit into a one and half hour time frame

My3Sons

Sponsor
ya, this was included for instance but not in it's full form

but really, there was not much of that unfortunately...i would hope there would be more but i guess 'the story' needs to move along chronologically and fit into a one and half hour time frame

Anyone who thinks Syd was anything less than a smart thoughtful guy who took a wrong turn somehow needs to see the old interviews like that. What a tragic story.

Reactions: njdevils1982

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Somewhat related and maybe helpful to you:

I’ve doing some meditation lately. Guided YouTube(we talked about this lately as well) stuff. Started as a pregame thing but I find it helpful in general. One of the point/lessons/whatever you call it is letting those story lines you speak of, go. I’ve got a million of em.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Somewhat related and maybe helpful to you:

I’ve doing some meditation lately. Guided YouTube(we talked about this lately as well) stuff. Started as a pregame thing but I find it helpful in general. One of the point/lessons/whatever you call it is letting those story lines you speak of, go. I’ve got a million of of em.

I would never mention this otherwise, it's just too personal I feel...but I "meditate" every morning for about 5 minutes or so, sometimes longer, while the coffee is brewing. No joke. I have been doing for at least 35 years...I sit down in a dark room and first think about what I am grateful for for a few minutes, then think about what I can do better then finally what I want to accomplish on the day.

It's a technique that I started when I was very serious about competitive archery to get myself into the moment and the right frame of mind...when competition became less important it was just a habit that I continued and it took on more of daily introspective.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would never mention this otherwise but I "meditate" every morning for about 5 minutes or so, sometimes longer, while the coffee is brewing. No joke. I have been doing for at least 35 years...I sit down in a dark room and first think about what I am grateful for for a few minutes, then think about what I can do better then finally what I want to accomplish on the day.

It's a technique that I started when I was very serious about competitive archery to get myself into the moment and the right frame of mind...when competition became less important it was just a habit that I continued and it took on more of daily introspective.
As I allude to above, the stuff I've been doing is more about clearing the mind. 2 different ways I guess to get to the same thing, being in the moment.

But one part of the practice is actually to let a thought come into your head, see it for what it is, let it go and then get back to your focus, which for me is just simply breathing in and then out.

So when some narrative get's into my head like "my boss sucks", or some old memory has me thinking "why was I such an idiot?" instead of those thoughts continuing and building into other crappy stuff, that practice let's those thoughts float off, and I just get back into the moment.

Interestingly when I do the guided, I sometimes find it hard to get a narrative into my head for me recognize and then discard, but the other day meditating on my own, I could not get the thoughts out of my head and it really highlighted how muddled my mind was as a I tried to focus on my breathing, but really couldn't, at least not fully(which in itself is interesting as all these half thoughts are mixing about).

I've definitely heard of techniques like you mention(some of which sounds more like prayer? and say that only for discussion purposes, as you put quotes around meditation above, and I think they are fairly similar), and I have interest in visualization techniques for things I want to accomplish. Manifesting destiny, which is also interesting stuff(Arnold documentary comes to mind here).

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
@Its Always Sundstrom

do even have a cat?

i was just excited about the gear i saw not shitting on the tune

so,
.... the good deal of the story in the 90s goes like this....

i watched your video and instantly noticed the mic he was using..... 100% a Sennheiser

model ...cant tell in detail but they have their own recognizable style

back in 1996 (i was 21) when i lived in london ontario some guy sold me:

-a Peavey TNT 112 bass amp which did the job for live gigs and recordings for a long time

-a bunch of random mics 'thrown in' which included: 3 Shure SM57 (one was f***ed).....a Sennheiser MD421 (not in best condition, but still a solid mic)

and the f***ing steal of the the crop......

my vocal mic to this day ... a Sennheiser Blackfire 521.... what in the f***?

its incredible still

.....price for all: 100$

f*** yes

Last edited:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
@Its Always Sundstrom

do even have a cat?

i was just excited about the gear i saw not shitting on the tune

so,
.... the good deal of the story in the 90s goes like this....

i watched your video and instantly noticed the mic he was using..... 100% a Sennheiser

model ...cant tell in detail but they have their own recognizable style

back in 1996 (i was 21) when i lived in london ontario some guy sold me:

-a Peavey TNT 112 bass amp which did the job for live gigs and recordings for a long time

-a bunch of random mics 'thrown in' which included: 3 Shure SM57 (one was f***ed).....a Sennheiser MD421 (not in best condition, but still a solid mic)

and the f***ing steal of the the crop......

my vocal mic to this day ... a Sennheiser Blackfire 521.... what in the f***?

its incredible still

.....price for all: 100$

f*** yes

The cat exists and doesn’t exist at the same time.

I was just busting on everyone for busting’s sake. The whole series of posts was comical and I enjoyed it. Levity is my middle name.

Dig the story. That was a steal! Good on you.

Reactions: Guadana

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Frankenstein and Dracula are great ideas but tedious novels.
frankenstein...

when in college my buddy 'z' and i who were already 'jamming' met a guy named robin monro.... he was a couple years older.... already been in bands ...one was called the frankenstein 5 .....old school psychobilly...very early mid 60s sound garage rock. (sucks that i cant find any audio of it)

CHRW, western university station had them in the online archive.....i can't access their site on an old browser....

i digress

frankenstein....

just reminded me of the time when we ended up forming a band with him after the F5

///

rob on guitar... wrote everything and very prolific.... (i do have cassette demos he ripped out in my apartment ...3 songs i think....... it was effortless for him)

z on bass ....

and me..... a guy with drums that really couldnt play at all....i had drums in a rented basement house with paper thin walls......we didnt practice there..... rob had a place....

a half finished dungeon of a spot .....a so many foot stomped compacted dirt floor ...a taller crawl space. dont hit you head on the joists. it was not ideal but you could play anytime without any bother from the outside world.... i just left my kit there.

we practiced 3 or 4 times a week for 6 months and amassed an arsenal of 20 originals and 4 or 5 covers...... he named us "The Mogs"

HOLY SHIT! i was an actual drummer that could play an hour and a half and not be bad.

played a show at the (now gone) brunswick hotel* (a f***ing legendary london dive bar) cut my right ring finger on the rim of the floor tom and blood was flowing ....just kept going .... it was enough drip to fall on to the drum skin and splatter back on to my shirt and face. ...... really .....who the hell stops in the middle of a song?

great times

robin monro RIP long live rock

*Brunswick Hotel 1855 ... i'm afraid to see what that block looks like in 2023

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Help me settle an argument:

Who's responsibility is it to put something away?

The person who took it out of the last person to use it?

So if I took milk out of the refrigerator used it, left it on the table and you used it after me who should put the milk back in the refrigerator?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Help me settle an argument:

Who's responsibility is it to put something away?

The person who took it out of the last person to use it?

So if I took milk out of the refrigerator used it, left it on the table and you used it after me who should put the milk back in the refrigerator?

last user

Reactions: JimEIV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad