Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think your logic is flawed mostly because you are way underestimating Chychrun’s next contract. He’s getting 7.5M minimum and that’s likely only happening in a no/low tax location.
Lots of guys here thought Zub was getting 6+.

If Chychrun is going to get massive money, ya, it's a different discussion. Chychrun has some warts too.

Where do you see Chychrun? Low end top pair? High end 2nd pair?

It depends what he's going to sign at.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

If Chychrun is going to get massive money, ya, it's a different discussion. Chychrun has some warts too.

Chychrun will get between 6.250 and 8.000, with a high likelihood of it being in the low to mid 7s.

Dunn (7.350), Orlov (7.750) and Severson (6.250) will be some recent comparables he uses for negotiations.

FWIW I consider him a 2D/3D depending on who he's partnered with.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

32 teams, 2 guys per top pair, Chychrun is a top pairing D-man but I'd say low end. Chabot is more around 30th (not Top-20 anymore due to so many guys emerging vs not as many fading out)

In recent NHL fantasy rankings, Chabot was ranked 23rd, Chychrun 26th and Sanderson 31st

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
32 teams, 2 guys per top pair, Chychrun is a top pairing D-man but I'd say low end. Chabot is more around 30th (not Top-20 anymore due to so many guys emerging vs not as many fading out)

In recent NHL fantasy rankings, Chabot was ranked 23rd, Chychrun 26th and Sanderson 31st

What do fantasy rankings have to do with anything?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I see Chychrun as a low end 1st pair if he is on the left side with the proper partner. His decision making is very suspect but he is a lot like Werenski. I think he gets 8+ on the open market.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't get rid of Brannstrom but I think the team will.

I also don't think Kleven will be very good in the NHL next year, if ever.
Ever?... He's a big d man he has a longer development curve. I think he's an ideal 3rd pairing guy. Him and JBD on the third pair could be really solid.

I'd be fine with keeping Branntsrom once they trade Chychrun but he's paid way too much for a utility player. It's probably time to move on.

It's actually unbelievable how good Chabot has been since he was benched. Sign me up for this guy if he can stay healthy and plays like this consistently. However 3 games is a very small sample size.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s been playing extremely well since the coaching change, it’s not something that’s come on recently.

GPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%SHFTTOIATOI
24512175144100840568.9645574:4123:57

His mistakes, of which he has absolutely made, are being made by literally every D on the and team, get amplified online at a level much higher than anyone else.
Yes it has. His intensity, compete and urgency has been upped substantially. Mistakes are fine if the player is playing the right way. He wasn't.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ever?... He's a big d man he has a longer development curve. I think he's an ideal 3rd pairing guy. Him and JBD on the third pair could be really solid.

I'd be fine with keeping Branntsrom once they trade Chychrun but he's paid way too much for a utility player. It's probably time to move on.

It's actually unbelievable how good Chabot has been since he was benched. Sign me up for this guy if he can stay healthy and plays like this consistently. However 3 games is a very small sample size.
I feel like Kleven is getting the same treatment as JBD did from fans, many liked Thomson more, but in the end it's JBD that is playing at the NHL level.

Kleven to me is more promising than JBD was at the same stage in their development, he gives me Carlo vibes

Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Matt Roy is the dream. But everyone will be after him. Doubt we get him.

And we know staios is gonna open up the cheque book for tanev. I suspect a bad contract is coming there.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes it has. His intensity, compete and urgency has been upped substantially. Mistakes are fine if the player is playing the right way. He wasn't.
They absolutely have, but he’s been playing at a high level ever since he started playing under Martin on December 29th.

He’s been a net positive when he’s been on the ice in every facet of the game, even with his gaffs, of which he’s absolutely had.

If he continues to play as he has the past week and a half, he’s more than an 8 million dollar guy, I’m not sure he’ll continue that level over a full season, but the level he’s been for 2 months and the Sens are extremely pleased with what they have. A 60ish point, 23 minute a night guy who’s playing ~3/8 of the ES minutes for the Sens and tilting the ice in their favour.

Even at the beginning of the year, I saw a guy who is tilting the ice in the favour of the Sens. Still has his gaffs, as every D does, but the team is generally better off when he’s been on the ice compared to off.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They absolutely have, but he’s been playing at a high level ever since he started playing under Martin on December 29th.

He’s been a net positive when he’s been on the ice in every facet of the game, even with his gaffs, of which he’s absolutely had.

If he continues to play as he has the past week and a half, he’s more than an 8 million dollar guy, I’m not sure he’ll continue that level over a full season, but the level he’s been for 2 months and the Sens are extremely pleased with what they have. A 60ish point, 23 minute a night guy who’s playing ~3/8 of the ES minutes for the Sens and tilting the ice in their favour.

Even at the beginning of the year, I saw a guy who is tilting the ice in the favour of the Sens. Still has his gaffs, as every D does, but the team is generally better off when he’s been on the ice compared to off.
I just dont agree, he took a while to adjust. He was never holding the blue line, he wasnt taking hits to make plays and he wasnt playing with urgency. Its got better for sure but he had some horrible games and I am not talking about gafs. Players have gafs his issue was doing the little things that arent fun that make a big difference in a game.

This is how he should be playing more often than not, I know he came back from an injury but his intensity wasnt where it needed to be. We have seen it the last three games but the three games before that were some of the worst of his career. He needs to find that consistency.

Matt Roy is the dream. But everyone will be after him. Doubt we get him.

And we know staios is gonna open up the cheque book for tanev. I suspect a bad contract is coming there.
Between Demelo, Tanev and Roy the sens need to get one of them. Thats why they need Chychruns money off the books next season and they need to maximize his value now via trade so a team gets him for two playoff runs.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
This would be his first pro season out of the 7 in which he would finish with a positive -/+ stat. DJ Smith owes this man 4-5 years of his pro hockey career back, completely wasted.

Reactions: Xspyrit

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Chabot is benefiting from having a real 2 way stud Dman in Sanderson to play behind. Sanderson is playing the hard minutes against top tier talent and Chabot is free to play less minutes and do his thing. Similar to what Tavares has playing behind Matthews.

Reactions: Emrasie and bert

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It’s become pretty evident that within a good system with good insulation and not being overplayed, that Chabot is a top pair caliber dman and he is better than Chychrun.

I also think he’ll age better because of his effortless skating.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What do fantasy rankings have to do with anything?

It reflects production, couldn't find a recent ranking quickly but in the past, Chabot has always been ranked around 20th. Even in the HF polls section, he was ranked 16th in the 2022 summer. And before you say "2 years ago", I'll reply in advance : "I know, just couldn't find anything more recent" but don't worry, Chabot has been trending back to his elite level of 2021-22 since the coaching change.

This would be his first pro season out of the 7 in which he would finish with a positive -/+ stat. DJ Smith owes this man 4-5 years of his pro hockey career back, completely wasted.

Don't forget Dorion, who for example, prevented him to play with Dylan DeMelo as a partner. Chabot had to go through a full mismanaged rebuild by himself until help started coming. Zub and Brannstrom in 2020-21 but they were totally new to the NHL. Now that Sanderson and a real NHL coaching staff is here, he can maybe finally reach his full potential

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Chabot will age better than Chychrun just because of his skating and his ceiling being a lot higher.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just dont agree, he took a while to adjust. He was never holding the blue line, he wasnt taking hits to make plays and he wasnt playing with urgency. Its got better for sure but he had some horrible games and I am not talking about gafs. Players have gafs his issue was doing the little things that arent fun that make a big difference in a game.

This is how he should be playing more often than not, I know he came back from an injury but his intensity wasnt where it needed to be. We have seen it the last three games but the three games before that were some of the worst of his career. He needs to find that consistency.

Between Demelo, Tanev and Roy the sens need to get one of them. Thats why they need Chychruns money off the books next season and they need to maximize his value now via trade so a team gets him for two playoff runs.
Those are three price points I would imagine. Roy may get a serious pay day.

The only thing about demelo is his age. I don’t know if I want to give him that 4 year deal.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chabot is benefiting from having a real 2 way stud Dman in Sanderson to play behind. Sanderson is playing the hard minutes against top tier talent and Chabot is free to play less minutes and do his thing. Similar to what Tavares has playing behind Matthews.
That can be true at home, not as much on the road.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If Chabby keeps this up, he may garner consideration for Team Canada.

He is playing great right now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I feel like Kleven is getting the same treatment as JBD did from fans, many liked Thomson more, but in the end it's JBD that is playing at the NHL level.

Kleven to me is more promising than JBD was at the same stage in their development, he gives me Carlo vibes
Carlo vibes? Because he's tall?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Carlo vibes? Because he's tall?
Both big physical guys skate well for their size, long reach, hard shot, defensive dmen.

Size is obviously part of it but the comparison goes further just tall, otherwise I might have said Wiercioch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad