Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah I cloned Zub in the past too, Chabot is the guy who needs him the most but playing with Zub also allows Sanderson to be more everywhere. Chychrun has one of the most dangerous point shots in the league but the guy we really needed was a Zub's clone

That said, DeMelo is actually close to be that guy, we traded him for a 3rd round pick when he have been needing that guy since at least 2017. This was probably Dorion first big mistake (well outside of Zibanejad and Duchene trades and the others during the firesale phase I guess, lol)

Don't know if you seen that (not sure I posted it here) but Brannstrom leads the Sens at ES in CF%, SF% and xGF%, CA/60, GA/60 the last 2 seasons combined. Second to Zub in SA/60 and xGA/60. Sure, he doesn't the toughest role but the guy is quite underrated and has done his job well overall

I wouldn't get rid of Brannstrom but I think the team will.

I also don't think Kleven will be very good in the NHL next year, if ever.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Since Brannstrom can play both sides and Dorion + DJ are not anymore, we should be open to use Brannstrom on whichever sides there's a need

Or if a good offer comes in you do it but since he has been somewhat buried here, can't see an offer being that enticing, might as well use him and have a deep defense. He shouldn't cost more than 2.0-3.0 as long as he's in the current situation. However, his agent might ask for a trade when they feel it's limiting his career

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

It takes time to develop big D like Kleven. It's kind of like developing a power forward. Give the kid some time. However, I agree about Branny.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I honestly don’t understanding Klevin might never be a good NHLer.

He has improved in his puck skills and everything but at this point I think he'll pass the puck to the other team a lot more than we want.

I also think he'll struggle with reads at the NHL level. His stint earlier this year did nothing to quell my fears in this regard.

He's got a great attitude and a good work ethic so I'm optimistic he'll improve but I'm not sure his IQ will ever make him more than a journeyman.

It takes time to develop big D like Kleven. It's kind of like developing a power forward. Give the kind some time. However, I agree about Branny.
Agreed. And he has a great attitude but I question whether he'll be able to process the game fast enough to deal with NHL forwards.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He has improved in his puck skills and everything but at this point I think he'll pass the puck to the other team a lot more than we want.

I also think he'll struggle with reads at the NHL level. His stint earlier this year did nothing to quell my fears in this regard.

He's got a great attitude and a good work ethic so I'm optimistic he'll improve but I'm not sure his IQ will ever make him more than a journeyman.

Agreed. And he has a great attitude but I question whether he'll be able to process the game fast enough to deal with NHL forwards.
I wasn't sure if JBD could, but he's getting there. It takes time to develop some of these players.

Reactions: bert

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
So much better than Chychrun, not even close
Certainly in the last 10 games or so. Chychrun is playing below his ability and seems like he needs a change of scenery.
As for Chabot he has responded to the new coaches very positively to the point where he is earning his salary.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s been playing extremely well since the coaching change, it’s not something that’s come on recently.

GPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%SHFTTOIATOI
24512175144100840568.9645574:4123:57

His mistakes, of which he has absolutely made, are being made by literally every D on the and team, get amplified online at a level much higher than anyone else.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He’s been playing extremely well since the coaching change, it’s not something that’s come on recently.

24512175144100840568.9645574:4123:57

His mistakes, of which he has absolutely made, are being made by literally every D on the and team, get amplified online at a level much higher than anyone else.
here's the thing with Chabot. Every other week when they get paid, his paycheque is amplified compared to the other D. He's not "every other D on the team"

At 8 M, he's being paid like a mid tier #1D. Absolutely he's been better lately but he is not and likely never will be playing at the level he's being compensated at. We've got a kid in his sophomore season taking the shut down minutes on the left side. He doesn't pk.

Here's the question I'm trying to resolve if I'm Staois. Can I win with Chychrun as a 2nd pair LHD? Why? Because Jake's the first pair LHD. If the answer is yes, I think I can, then what does it take to get out of Chabot's deal? Can I get an asset for him? Chychrun has warts too. If he wants to stay here, I hope he can be signed for something in the low 6 range and we find a way to better utilize Chabot's 8 AAV.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot has been the better player recently.
Yes he has. But in a good stretch for him he's still not an 8M caliber player. That's why I'm wondering what the internal assessment of Chychrun is and whether they can get him signed in the low 6s.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
here's the thing with Chabot. Every other week when they get paid, his paycheque is amplified compared to the other D. He's not "every other D on the team"

At 8 M, he's being paid like a mid tier #1D. Absolutely he's been better lately but he is not and likely never will be playing at the level he's being compensated at. We've got a kid in his sophomore season taking the shut down minutes on the left side. He doesn't pk.

Here's the question I'm trying to resolve if I'm Staois. Can I win with Chychrun as a 2nd pair LHD? Why? Because Jake's the first pair LHD. If the answer is yes, I think I can, then what does it take to get out of Chabot's deal? Can I get an asset for him? Chychrun has warts too. If he wants to stay here, I hope he can be signed for something in the low 6 range and we find a way to better utilize Chabot's 8 AAV.
Chabot is much better than Chych as a player, and helps this team much more.

Chych is extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely to be signing anything with a 6 in front of it. Damon Severson just signed a 50 million dollar deal, Chychruns will be looking for 8+ as a UFA with the salary cap going up.

Chabot has absolutely been playing as a #1 since Martin came in. He’s been top 5 in the league in ES minutes, top 15 in minutes with 24 per game, playing at a 60+ point pace, +5, more takeaways than giveaways, blocking tons of shots.

He’s been extremely good in the 24 games he’s played under Martin, his play over the past 2 months is undoubtedly worth ~8 million.

That same time frame, heres Chych:

24336-12300300300605.0617538:5022:27

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nick Paul is the perfect example of a guy who took a long time to develop that but it was worth it

His peak will be shorter though, as a result.

Just to say that the only thing better than a guy who develops into a great player late is a guy who develops into a great player earlier.

But that's pretty rare - usually the Tkachuk's, the Stutzle's and the Sanderson's of the world.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I think your logic is flawed mostly because you are way underestimating Chychrun’s next contract. He’s getting 7.5M minimum and that’s likely only happening in a no/low tax location.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd much rather have Chabot at 8.0 than Chychrun at 7.0

Keep in mind that outside of his rookie season (where the team fell apart), this is the first time he has NHL coaching

Seriously, having both Sanderson and Chabot is a privilege we should not try to get rid of, some of the smoothest effortless skaters in the league and it gives us an advantage in games

His peak will be shorter though, as a result.

Just to say that the only thing better than a guy who develops into a great player late is a guy who develops into a great player earlier.

But that's pretty rare - usually the Tkachuk's, the Stutzle's and the Sanderson's of the world.

We're not talking about the same thing :sarcasm:

Check the post I quoted, you will see it now lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I honestly don’t understanding Klevin might never be a good NHLer.
I've watched Belleville quite a bit. Kleven is leaned on down there in the tough spots.. His game is definitely progressing. His confidence is improving. He is starting to impose himself physically more and more and he is more and more comfortable with the puck on his stick... His mobility is very good.
I think he has more in him development wise. He is close to being able to dominate, even take over games but he is not quite there yet. If we pencil him in on the 3rd pair , I think he can survive . I think he's on the edge on where you continue to develop him . No question allowing him to become more dominant in the AHL with increased weight and strength we have an NHL player coming in. Let's see at training camp in the fall ; what he looks like and if more things click. On the negative side I think he is still developing his mental part of just staying intense and being decisive and maintaining good spatial awareness.

Guenette's recent callup you can see he had an eye opener with regards to space and speed. He looks pretty seasoned in the AHL .. its part of it and its tough to play in the AHL and the next day drive a couple hours to play in the NHL in mid season on our Dcorps.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yes he has. But in a good stretch for him he's still not an 8M caliber player. That's why I'm wondering what the internal assessment of Chychrun is and whether they can get him signed in the low 6s.
He absolutely does earn his 8M. Even in this recent spell of Chabot appreciation, people think 8M is the value of a flawless defensive player who leads offensively.

The pitchforks might have been lowered, but I can still see them behind your backs. This is a village constantly in need of a Frankenstein.

Reactions: Xspyrit

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
No doubt lately
And if he continue and come back to being the 2018-9 Chabot , he is a keeper
Tbh I think Chabot, even when his performances were more uneven this season, was about on par with Chychrun. Since Jacques has come in and he’s slowly elevated, he is miles ahead.

Maybe Chychrun has another gear that we haven’t seen, but otherwise whether Chabot is consistently on his game or not I still think he’s the one to keep.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot is much better than Chych as a player, and helps this team much more.

Chych is extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely to be signing anything with a 6 in front of it. Damon Severson just signed a 50 million dollar deal, Chychruns will be looking for 8+ as a UFA with the salary cap going up.

Chabot has absolutely been playing as a #1 since Martin came in. He’s been top 5 in the league in ES minutes, top 15 in minutes with 24 per game, playing at a 60+ point pace, +5, more takeaways than giveaways, blocking tons of shots.

He’s been extremely good in the 24 games he’s played under Martin, his play over the past 2 months is undoubtedly worth ~8 million.

That same time frame, heres Chych:

24336-12300300300605.0617538:5022:27
First you were saying every other D on the team. He should be better. He makes a ton more.

Can you pay your 2nd LD 8 M? Sure he plays minutes, but he doesn't play the hard minutes does he? He's not PKing and Sanderson Zub are taking the hard matchups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad