This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
A few of us real Leafs fans who know the game all tried to warn you people about the absolute unmitigated disaster and worst GM in NHL history that is Kyle Dubas, but you refused to listen. Now, you’re going to see the absolute destruction of once a great franchise. The fact that Sid may never play a playoff game ever again (unless he requests a trade of course) should not sit well with anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They remind me of where the hawks were two years ago. Next stop is the tank. It’ll be a long rebuild just like in Chicago.

I wouldn't quite compare them just because Chicago let go of Kane and Toews just said f*** it I'm not sticking around.

Penguins are more like the early to mid 2010s Red Wings, or late 2010s Sharks. Except they honestly may be worse. 2014-2018 being absolutely shitty draft years for Holland and Wright didn't help... Detroit at least had guys like Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi/Hronek to start to build on. Pittsburgh's prospect pool is absolutely rancid once you get past Yager.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
A few of us real Leafs fans who know the game all tried to warn you people about the absolute unmitigated disaster and worst GM in NHL history that is Kyle Dumbass, but you refused to listen. Now, you’re going to see the absolute destruction of once a great franchise. The fact that Sid may never play a playoff game ever again (unless he requests a trade of course) should not sit well with anyone.

Dubas built you guys an amazing team and you still find a way to complain lmao. You would've a couple Stanley cups already with just some goalie luck(Hill in Vegas) or if Matthews would step it up in the POs just once in his life. As for Pittsburgh, they're getting old. They tried one last hurrah with Karlsson but that team is done. Time to rebuild and that's exactly what dubas was hired for.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Dubas built you guys an amazing team and you still find a way to complain lmao. You would've a couple Stanley cups already with just some goalie luck(Hill in Vegas) or if Matthews would step it up in the POs just once in his life. As for Pittsburgh, they're getting old. They tried one last hurrah with Karlsson but that team is done. Time to rebuild and that's exactly what dubas was hired for.
Only 9 players on the current roster are ones that he personally acquired.

They are:
Knies
Tavares
Jarnkrok
McMann
Kampf
Holmberg
Brodie
McCabe
Samsonov

What an amazing group of players hes brought in over his 5 years 😂. The best he has left us that he brought in is 2 middle pairing D (#4s).

He was given 3 exceptional offensive talents on their ELC's and couldnt get shit done with them. And as clearly shown, he failed to bring in any really meaningful players that have remained with the roster. He didn't build shit, and what he did put together was shit.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
A few of us real Leafs fans who know the game all tried to warn you people about the absolute unmitigated disaster and worst GM in NHL history that is Kyle Dumbass, but you refused to listen. Now, you’re going to see the absolute destruction of once a great franchise. The fact that Sid may never play a playoff game ever again (unless he requests a trade of course) should not sit well with anyone.
What even is this. Dubas was the architect of the Leafs as we see them today. Unless of course you want to argue that the acquisition of Reaves was the catalyst for turning things around.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I wouldn't quite compare them just because Chicago let go of Kane and Toews just said f*** it I'm not sticking around.
They missed the playoffs in 2020-21 and decided to make a go at it and traded for Seth Jones and did some other stuff. Really bad 2021-22, management change due to the Aldrich scandal and then went full tank. Kane and Toews were still there last season. Kane was playing hurt and traded to the Rangers, Toews didn’t play much but stayed the whole season and then it was not entirely his decision to not be extended. Basically I think the Pens are now where the Hawks were in 2021-22.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Only 9 players on the current roster are ones that he personally acquired.

They are:
Knies
Tavares
Jarnkrok
McMann
Kampf
Holmberg
Brodie
McCabe
Samsonov

What an amazing group of players hes brought in over his 5 years 😂. The best he has left us that he brought in is 2 middle pairing D (#4s).

He was given 3 exceptional offensive talents on their ELC's and couldnt get shit done with them. And as clearly shown, he failed to bring in any really meaningful players that have remained with the roster. He didn't build shit, and what he did put together was shit.
This but unironically. That's very solid depth especially once you add Domi and Bertuzzi. That club should be a favorite. If anything I'd say the onus is on Keefe failing this roster rather than Dubas nor building a good team.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I have ZERO issue with the Nieto signing. I described his minimum salary contract as “irrelevant” and “inconsequential”. Same with Accari. Some clown brought their names up as being the biggest mistakes Dumbass made in the off season - - reference Post #333. That’s the only reason I commented on them.

Karlsson was an unnecessary luxury when they already had Letang as the primary offensive defenceman. Reilly Smith is a soon to be 33 year old who’s scored 60pts ONE (1) season.

There’s $15M tied up in Karlsson and Smith - - plus the draft picks and prospect that were given away to acquire them.

Why not just sign free agents that are a better fit with that $15M and keep your assets?

Horrifically bad roster management once again by Dumbass.
Instead of "sign free agents" can you provide WHO you would have signed with the $15M last year? Posters in this thread make it seem like there are unlimited options. They were able to get a 2nd line winger (don't know why 60 points would be an arbitrary "bright line" for a guy to be a 2nd line winger) for almost nothing. They were also able to get a guy who just won the Norris trophy for an incredibly "light" package asset wise for picking up most of the contract. Would KD rather have gotten a "Pietrangelo type" #1 d-man? I'm sure he would have, but that guy wasn't available (they almost never are), and when they are it takes a hell of a lot better asset package to acquire.

I see a lot of calling EK redundant because they already had Letang. You need 120 minutes of d-man icetime per game, and IMO at KT's age the Pens shouldn't count on 25+ of it coming from just Letang.

Dubas and the Pens took a risky shot with the EK trade. IMO - they felt like they owed it to Sid. It's easy with hindsight to that it's bad "asset management". At the end of the day, when you're in an organization that thinks they have a chance - you do what you can to maximize that chance. Because Dubas knows how difficult it is to get the elite players you need to be a serious contender in the P/O's. It's why the Lightning are going to do everything they can to squeeze out as many contending years out of NK/AV/VH as possible. And why the Avs will do the same with NM/KM/MR.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They missed the playoffs in 2020-21 and decided to make a go at it and traded for Seth Jones and did some other stuff. Really bad 2021-22, management change due to the Aldrich scandal and then went full tank. Kane and Toews were still there last season. Kane was playing hurt and traded to the Rangers, Toews didn’t play much but stayed the whole season and then it was not entirely his decision to not be extended. Basically I think the Pens are now where the Hawks were in 2021-22.
True, you've got a point on the buying when the window was closed part. I was more thinking from the angle of riding out your aging stars.

Though honestly, if I were gonna argue a difference, I think a lot of the Jones action was Bowman either trying to save his job or trying to take the spotlight off... Other things going on in the Blackhawks' organization at the time.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Leafs fans are so desperate to blame Dubas that they've honestly convinced themselves that the current state of the Penguins is his fault and not the inevitable result of the Penguins chasing cups for years.

If you watch this team and think Crosby is remotely the problem then you are a total moron.
Absolutely. It's been over a decade that everyone knew the Penguins would have an eventual collapse around this time. But of course, somehow it's Dubas' fault.

Not that I'm particularly thrilled with his work so far, but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. The squeezed out a few cups, and I'm not sure you can really ask for much more.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto

How on earth did Kyle Dubas build us an amazing team LMFAO. He did absolutely nothing here. Pissed away picks for rentals, gave away good players like McCann, Kadri and Hyman, was an absolute disaster with his evaluation of goalies and set the country club culture of overpaying everyone. Dumbass was handed the best thing he could have imagined and did absolutely jack all with it. A truly unmitigated disaster of a GM.

What even is this. Dubas was the architect of the Leafs as we see them today. Unless of course you want to argue that the acquisition of Reaves was the catalyst for turning things around.

If the job was pissing away picks for rentals, overpaying everyone, establishing a country club culture, and getting rid of good players for essentially nothing, then yes I guess you could say that. Absolutely deplorable GM, I feel so bad for Sid.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

Dubas is amazing at the draft and that's where Toronto is going to miss him the most. I really liked what Dubas did for this franchise but when things didn't go well he stay the course when changes had to be made. Now with Marner contract ending next year I really think Toronto needs to move on with him and spend his cap money elsewhere but with his NMC I don't think Toronto will be able to trade him whicj means either,

1 - Marner resigns for $12.5m/yr which would effectively mean Toronto isn't winning a cup till he leaves
or
2 - Marner leaves in FA

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Still a very good player no doubt.

I was taking issue with a guy who said he was a top 10 player in the NHL this season. I also take issue with this hilarious idea that Crosby somehow contributes much defensively.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Probably not gonna be very successful when you rely on two players to generate most of your offense, and one of them gets hurt.

Seems like just about every player who has joined this team in the last few years has seen their production go down, and when they leave it goes up. Hard not to look at the head coach when that kind of pattern emerges. The guy won 2 Cups with this team, but he clearly has nothing left to offer here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The jury is still out on Dubas in Pittsburgh, but the team he built in Toronto should have been better than its playoff results. Not Dubas' fault the core disappeared every playoffs.

Unless your argument is Dubas shouldn't have built around Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares because they're all heartless and don't show up when it matters?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even bigger than the depth issues to me is that Malkin looks like he's skating with a piano on his back. Dude has fallen off a cliff.

Why would you ever bet on a player like that keeping up his level at 37y?

You are just asking for trouble

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The jury is still out on Dubas in Pittsburgh, but the team he built in Toronto should have been better than its playoff results. Not Dubas' fault the core disappeared every playoffs.

Unless your argument is Dubas shouldn't have built around Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares because they're all heartless and don't show up when it matters?
Signing Tavares was always the problem.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How on earth did Kyle Dumbass build us an amazing team LMFAO. He did absolutely nothing here. Pissed away picks for rentals, gave away good players like McCann, Kadri and Hyman, was an absolute disaster with his evaluation of goalies and set the country club culture of overpaying everyone. Dumbass was handed the best thing he could have imagined and did absolutely jack all with it. A truly unmitigated disaster of a GM.

If the job was pissing away picks for rentals, overpaying everyone, establishing a country club culture, and getting rid of good players for essentially nothing, then yes I guess you could say that. Absolutely deplorable GM, I feel so bad for Sid.

You still doing this tired shtick, eh?

Alright.

What're your thoughts on the man who was most likely pulling all the strings during Dubas's run here in Toronto?

Any thoughts on the "Shanaplan", with its' one series win in 10+ seasons?

Or are you convinced the Leafs' ongoing failure is still somehow entirely Kyle's fault? :laugh:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dubas is amazing at the draft and that's where Toronto is going to miss him the most.
His best skill as a GM is bargain bin hunting imo. He doesn’t have a very extensive amateur scouting background. He wasn’t the gm or in a front office position that oversees scouting when they took Nylander, Marner, Matthews back to back to back for what it’s worth. Toronto can draft pretty well because they spend a lot of money on scouting. I don’t think Dubas personally will be missed too much there. But that’s just my two cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad