This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
As I explained previously, Pittsburgh needs to sell everyone they possibly can - - other than Crosby - - at the deadline. Retain 100% salary on all pending UFAs to make them more enticing and just take back draft picks.

Pittsburgh isn’t likely to make the playoffs this year as is, and even if they squeak in by some miracle, they’re not going anywhere.

This should be obvious to even the most incompetent GM. Unfortunately for Penguin fans, Kyle Dumbass is way beyond incompetent.
If you're going scorched earth why keep Crosby?

He would be none too happy spending his last year on a 40 pt team.

Reactions: Macheteops

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

For the legacy, if he doesn't want to be a Pen for life, he can decide it.

But idk why people are entirely against still having a atar and rebuilding. Tampa did get rid of Vinny or St Louis. Even Pitt had to see thr value of Mario still trying to play to support Crosby. You cam hard rebuild ans still keep a star.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
My biggest complaint is that the Penguins simply refused to admit their failures. They should've torn down after 2022. Nah, double down by extending both Rust AND Malkin after that 3-1 implosion. They miss the playoffs because they cant beat the Blackhawks AND Jackets despite the islanders tripping at game #81? triple down on it with Erik Karlsson!

This team will be so bad in a few years that I really hope they dont get gifted another generational talent. This really is Crosby's team, and I hope Crosby goes out and strangles Dubas for what he's done, but also Hextall because he's responsible for this terrible team also.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Sid Crosby is by far the Penguins best trade asset. You’ll never get maximum value for him at the deadline because most contenders don’t have the cap room available.

Best return will come in the summer as UFA contracts fall off the books and everyone has lost of cap space.

Reactions: Osakahaus

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Rutherford left at the same time rumors came out he was unhappy because management didn't let him trade Letang.
He was definitely pushed out by management. The Pens organization is officially alright with mediocrity, which is why Sullivan is still there. Rutherford, while making some bad moves during his tenure, recognized weaknesses and tried to address them, sometimes working out amazingly. He always tried to make the team better, and loyalty aside, he was right about Letang.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
For the legacy, if he doesn't want to be a Pen for life, he can decide it.

But idk why people are entirely against still having a atar and rebuilding. Tampa did get rid of Vinny or St Louis. Even Pitt had to see the value of Mario still trying to play to support Crosby. You cam hard rebuild ans still keep a star.
Wonder if Mario owning the Penguins had anything to do with it 🤣

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
These 2 last games are the types that get coaches fired. But Dubas is always thinking about himself so he’s probably waiting until the offseason to use that bullet.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

These past two games have been absolutely hilarious. Kyle Dubas has absolutely massacred the Penguins in a beautiful yet twisted way. If this was a broadway show, they would call it the worst adaptation they've ever seen.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You’re living in a dream world if you honestly believe Reilly Smith is a top six forward, my friend.

Last year Toronto had Nick Ritchie playing on the top line with Matthews and Marner. This year they’ve had Calle Jarncrap and Pontus Holmberg on the top line. Are any of those hacks top six forwards? Clearly no.

Signing a 4th line plugger like Matt Nieto for $900k x2 is about as irrelevant as it gets in terms of cap impact. Accari at $2M x3 is also inconsequential to the overall cap.

Graves at $4.5 x6 was a Dumbass overpay, but at least he’s only 28 and with defencemen always in demand at the deadline he could easily be flipped for a 2nd or 3rd round asset next week.

As I explained the moment he was signed, Jarry at $5.375 was a terrible overpay. But the difference with Jarry, Graves, Nieto and Accari is that it cost the Penguins ZERO draft picks or prospects to acquire.

And the combined salaries for all four of them are only costing $1M more than Karlsson’s laughable $11.5M boat anchor.

When you’ve got an old team and a system devoid of and quality prospects, you absolutely CANNOT be giving away draft picks and whatever middling prospects you do have in the system for guys in their mid 30’s with bloated contracts.

Not sure how much more I can dumb that down for anyone.
Donnie - Smith scored 56 points last year (with 80+% of that at ES) on a Cup winning team. Which team last year had a better #6 forward? And again - not saying that he's playing well in PITT - just that it was a great acquisition for only a 3rd round DP.

You're really grasping at straws here with some of your other complaints:
Nieto - cheap signing that can be buried in AHL for no cap penalty
Jarry - earning every bit of the $5.4M he's getting paid - and contract only runs until he's 33.

And I 100% disagree on what "old" teams can do with trading picks/prospects. The Pens took one more kick at the can. It looks right now like it's not working out - but when you've got 4 future HOF'ers who played at a REALLY high level last year you take that chance, especially when they were able to get EK so cheaply. The 1st rounder that they moved for EK has about a 50% chance of having a NHL career of note, and even if the Pens have a good pick the player drafted isn't going to contribute when SC is playing at this high a level.

Like I said - I understand the hatred of Dubas, but that is keeping your from having any sort of realistic take.

Reactions: karltonian

Bowski

Taking out the trash.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The reason the Pens are in such bad shape is they've traded away 8 of their previous 12 first round draft picks. Crosby benefitted from most of those trades in the short term, but now the bill has come due.
Ah yes, the yearly first-round draft pick sacrifice at the altar of Crosby (performed on August 7th).

Iginla, Perron, Kessel, Reaves, Brassard, Zucker, Kapanen, Karlsson all benefitted him so much.
Perhaps he sucks the soul/blood out of them like some kind of necro vampire?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They have a lot of great names that could get you a ton of huge pieces, but do they have the courage to do it?

Do they have the courage to trade both Crosby and Malkin?

I understand what they have done for the Penguins, but if they want to look into the future, the package you can get for Crosby would be absolutely f***ing insane, even at his age

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just need another top defenseman from yesteryear.....Hello SJ can you spare Marc Vlasic and while your at it Dubas how about MA Fleury...should inject the energy needed to spruce things up for Sid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad