This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
They have a lot of great names that could get you a ton of huge pieces, but do they have the courage to do it?

Do they have the courage to trade both Crosby and Malkin?

I understand what they have done for the Penguins, but if they want to look into the future, the package you can get for Crosby would be absolutely f***ing insane, even at his age
trade Malkin tbh

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They have a lot of great names that could get you a ton of huge pieces, but do they have the courage to do it?

Do they have the courage to trade both Crosby and Malkin?

I understand what they have done for the Penguins, but if they want to look into the future, the package you can get for Crosby would be absolutely f***ing insane, even at his age
Crosby/Malkin would be a conversation in the off-season. Wouldn't do it now at the trade deadline. Now I would expect Guentzel, Reilly Smith, Eller, Rakell and Marcus Petterson types to go.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Crosby/Malkin would be a conversation in the off-season. Wouldn't do it now at the trade deadline. Now I would expect Guentzel, Reilly Smith, Eller, Rakell and Marcus Petterson types to go.
Yeah you can wait on it for sure, I just mean though in general, it would have to be a crazy call by the Penguins ownership, but remember Wayne Gretzky got traded

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Donnie - Smith scored 56 points last year (with 80+% of that at ES) on a Cup winning team. Which team last year had a better #6 forward? And again - not saying that he's playing well in PITT - just that it was a great acquisition for only a 3rd round DP.

You're really grasping at straws here with some of your other complaints:
Nieto - cheap signing that can be buried in AHL for no cap penalty
Jarry - earning every bit of the $5.4M he's getting paid - and contract only runs until he's 33.

And I 100% disagree on what "old" teams can do with trading picks/prospects. The Pens took one more kick at the can. It looks right now like it's not working out - but when you've got 4 future HOF'ers who played at a REALLY high level last year you take that chance, especially when they were able to get EK so cheaply. The 1st rounder that they moved for EK has about a 50% chance of having a NHL career of note, and even if the Pens have a good pick the player drafted isn't going to contribute when SC is playing at this high a level.

Like I said - I understand the hatred of Dubas, but that is keeping your from having any sort of realistic take.

I have ZERO issue with the Nieto signing. I described his minimum salary contract as “irrelevant” and “inconsequential”. Same with Accari. Some clown brought their names up as being the biggest mistakes Dumbass made in the off season - - reference Post #333. That’s the only reason I commented on them.

Karlsson was an unnecessary luxury when they already had Letang as the primary offensive defenceman. Reilly Smith is a soon to be 33 year old who’s scored 60pts ONE (1) season.

There’s $15M tied up in Karlsson and Smith - - plus the draft picks and prospect that were given away to acquire them.

Why not just sign free agents that are a better fit with that $15M and keep your assets?

Horrifically bad roster management once again by Dumbass.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I have ZERO issue with the Nieto signing. I described his minimum salary contract as “irrelevant” and “inconsequential”. Same with Accari. Some clown brought their names up as being the biggest mistakes Dumbass made in the off season - - reference Post #333. That’s the only reason I commented on them.

Karlsson was an unnecessary luxury when they already had Letang as the primary offensive defenceman. Reilly Smith is a soon to be 33 year old who’s scored 60pts ONE (1) season.

There’s $15M tied up in Karlsson and Smith - - plus the draft picks and prospect that were given away to acquire them.

Why not just sign free agents that are a better fit with that $15M and keep your assets?

Horrifically bad roster management once again by Dumbass.
Smith was acquired basically for free and is probably easily tradeable at this deadline if Dubas chooses to do so. I think that was a low risk potentially high reward move. Didn't work out, but whatever.

The EK move...I liked it then and I still like it. I think on balance he's been good for the Pens. And Dubas got rid of a pile of garbage to get him. So that was good too.

The problems are two fold: 1) Dubas didn't properly address the depth. He tried to, but what he's put together for the bottom six isn't good enough. 2) Mike Sullivan is long past his expiration date but Dubas/FSG refuse to fire him.

Even with as flawed a roster as the Pens have now I think they could have had a legit shot at the playoffs if Dubas had fired Sullivan two months ago. But he didn't do it and let Sullivan continue to suck and now we're here.

Will be interesting to see what KD sells guys for at the TDL. I suspect that he's not going to go too crazy on pure futures because I imagine he still wants to try and make the playoffs again next year with Sid. I think he's going to move guys out for prospects that are close to NHL ready (or have the perception of being such) and then try to use the cap space in the off season to retool the roster again.

They aren't gonna fully blow it up as long as Sid wants to be here. Just won't happen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yea their average age is like 32, one of the oldest teams ever.

I don’t understand how so many Pens fans didn’t see an issue with that.

You dared to mention that and got attacked within a second

Best thing Pens could do is to start fresh at management, Dubas achieved nothing in Toronto and achieved to push the Pens even further from contending in one offseason, ”we are making moves for today and for future in mind”. Great job

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Still seeing people defend the Karlsson move because "we got him for free" is hilarious. Yeah you got him for practically nothing because that's what he was worth and no other team in the league would give up anything to take him on. Taking on 10m from a 33 year old who's poor defensively is not getting something for free.

It also makes me laugh when people praise the Karlsson move but at the same time talk about how dubas failed because he didn't get enough depth. You don't think those two issues go hand in hand? Dude made the laziest moves he could have made last off season to try and compete.

Majority of pen fans will probably see through his facade eventually like most leaf fans have now, but I'm sure he'll be able to mist a chunk of them. The guy doesn't understand how to build a competitive team in the playoffs. Every move he did in last summer confirmed that even more. Pen fans better hope he figures it out in the next 6 years.

Arkstrom Scorpio

Mar 4, 2024
And so ends the rivalry between these two Pennsylvanian teams. Flyers come on top once more, and the tables have turned. Sid the Kid aint a kid no more. Evgeni's prime is just a distant memory. Giroux is gone, so are Carter and Richards. Will our children ever know about the Battle of Pennsylvania? In times such as these, one can only hope and pray Matvei Michkov and Brayden Yager will rekindle the loving and long standing contention between these two great teams.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Marcus Petterson would be a great add to any team needing a dman

Sullivan should've been fired seasons ago.

If he gets fired, he'll have a job in NJ waiting for him ASAP.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
And so ends the rivalry between these two Pennsylvanian teams. Flyers come on top once more, and the tables have turned. Sid the Kid aint a kid no more. Evgeni's prime is just a distant memory. Giroux is gone, so are Carter and Richards. Will our children ever know about the Battle of Pennsylvania? In times such as these, one can only hope and pray Matvei Michkov and Brayden Yager will rekindle the loving and long standing contention between these two great teams.
Ummm given the Flyers management record I wouldn’t exactly be bragging either. I watch a lot of BC games because of Leonard and Gauthier is a stud.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Marcus Petterson would be a great add to any team needing a dman

If he gets fired, he'll have a job in NJ waiting for him ASAP.
Yea he's by far our best defensive dman. Included him because he actually has value.

I think Sullivan could do well in NJ. They're young and fast. Pittsburgh is too old to play his system.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I agree with much of what you say, I miss it when the Pens/Flyers games aren't white hot with intensity. But, "Flyers on top again?" Dude, you gotta win a cup within the last 50 years to be "on top."

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm glad to see the scapegoating of Kyle Dubas for a collapse that was inevitable has already begun.

Really bewildering that a young guy whose only claim to fame was blowing the Leafs contention window would take a job that put him in the driver's seat of a franchise that had already crashed into the guardrail and was destined to fly off the cliff with or without him... But he did.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
One of these teams is not like the other......

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Ah yes, the yearly first-round draft pick sacrifice at the altar of Crosby (performed on August 7th).

Iginla, Perron, Kessel, Reaves, Brassard, Zucker, Kapanen, Karlsson all benefitted him so much.
Perhaps he sucks the soul/blood out of them like some kind of necro vampire?
The worst is really Reaves since that made ZERO sense at the time

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What the fire Sullivan crowd fails to realize is that Sullivan signed a 3 year extension that starts next season.

You’d be firing him before he even starts his multi-year extension. I don’t think the team wants those optics. Also, I don’t think he’s the problem.

Karlsson cost them their first round pick this year and made them a worse team. Horrible trade.

• Haha
Reactions: Rafafouille

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What the fire Sullivan crowd fails to realize is that Sullivan signed a 3 year extension that starts next season.

You’d be firing him before he even starts his extension. I don’t think the team wants those optics. Also, I don’t think he’s the problem.

Karlsson cost them their first round pick this year and made them a worse team. Horrible trade.
But they got him for "free"!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad