This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not everyone thought he would help. I don't think all Pittsburgh fans did either. But looking at threads I was amazed then as how many were happy and positive. There were plenty of voices around the league seeing the clear flaws of Karlsson and the team anyway to see this succeeding. Especially from other fanbases who saw declining talent.

But all the praise of the GM moves and blaming Sullivan sound like what the Kings or Blackhawks did in the last decade. It's not a lot, but you can see some Tampa people saying things against Jon Cooper now. But it's so much the talent leaving, getting older, or hurt. It's been clear even before Hextall.

It isn't hindsight being against this Karrlson trade, some blinder from fans doesn't mean you should ignore plenty of rational points were made immediately about it. The bad deals they got out of weren't worth a looking to be mid 1st round pick being lost. At 50% Granlund for a 4th would be better value than a loss of a 1st
EK isn't the reason the team is where they're at in the standings. Hell I shudder to think how much worse they'd be if they still had Petry and Granlund instead of EK.

The problem is the depth stinks and the coaching stinks and Dubas didn't address either of those issues. EK alone wasn't enough to get the Pens back into a playoff spot. But it wasn't a bad trade. It would have been a good trade if Dubas had done well with the rest of the roster and/or had the balls to replace Sullivan but...he hasn't and he doesn't.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Crosby is STILL one of the best players in the league easily. Top 10.

His scoring/passing is incredible, his back checking, nose for the game, faceoffs. Just a truly valuable player. Too bad they cant give him some guys to play with or atleast trade him to help Pitts rebuild. They arent going anywhere so why waste such a great asset?

I sometimes tune in just to watch him play because I know once he's gone, the game is losing another legend.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can not wait until the Buffalo Sabres hire Mike Sullivan and he does exactly what Dan Bylsma did 10 years ago.
And the rest of the hockey fanbases will all be like, "Oh my God? But I thought Sullivan was so awesome and Penguins fans didn't know what they were talking about".

You know, just like HF did when we said Bylsma should be fired and everyone insisted he was awesome and we were just spoiled.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And the rest of the hockey fanbases will all be like, "Oh my God? But I thought Sullivan was so awesome and Penguins fans didn't know what they were talking about".

You know, just like HF did when we said Bylsma should be fired and everyone insisted he was awesome and we were just spoiled.

Dan Bylsma has the best win percentage in the league since he was fired by the Penguins!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

His scoring/passing is incredible, his back checking, nose for the game, faceoffs. Just a truly valuable player. Too bad they cant give him some guys to play with or atleast trade him to help Pitts rebuild. They arent going anywhere so why waste such a great asset?

I sometimes tune in just to watch him play because I know once he's gone, the game is losing another legend.
Torn on this. As much as I want to see Crosby as a penguin for life, he still has a lot of great hockey left in him. Would be good for the league for him to play meaningful hockey again.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
Counter argument.

The Pens have basically two good players, one of them not named Malkin. They have the worst depth in the league.

The fact they are even in the playoff race in March is testament to how good Sullivan is as a coach.

I can’t think of any coach in this league who could make a playoff team out of this crap roster.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
The pens are done. Send whatever you have of value off for assets. You guys would get a great haul for Sid still. Get a good haul while you can. They might get a top 10 pick this year at their current place and if they move him are probably looking at a top 5 next year or close.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Crosby is tied for 21st in points and is pretty bad when it comes to preventing goals against. He isn't remotely a top 10 player anymore, and he hasn't been for years.

Crosby does deserve some credit though - he's almost on pace to be as good as Ovechkin was at age 36. (Ovechkin had 90 points and 50 goals in 77 games. Crosby his on pace for 89 points and 45 goals if he plays 82 games).

The reason the Pens are in such bad shape is they've traded away 8 of their previous 12 first round draft picks. Crosby benefitted from most of those trades in the short term, but now the bill has come due.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
The pens are done. Send whatever you have of value off for assets. You guys would get a great haul for Sid still. Get a good haul while you can. They might get a top 10 pick this year at their current place and if they move him are probably looking at a top 5 next year or close.
The Sharks would love it, as we have this year's 1st Rd pick top 10 protected, so if they keep it we get next year's unprotected.

Reactions: CaptainShark

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
Crosby is tied for 21st in points and is pretty bad when it comes to preventing goals against. He isn't remotely a top 10 player anymore, and he hasn't been for years.

Crosby does deserve some credit though - he's almost on pace to be as good as Ovechkin was at age 36. (Ovechkin had 90 points and 50 goals in 77 games. Crosby his on pace for 89 points and 45 goals if he plays 82 games).

The reason the Pens are in such bad shape is they've traded away 8 of their previous 12 first round draft picks. Crosby benefitted from most of those trades in the short term, but now the bill has come due.

If you dont watch the Pens why even post this?

He is +16 on a pretty bad team. Swing and a miss.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Kris Letang... did not look good in the Calgary game. One of the worst games of his career?

Well, they're in Edmonton tomorrow, so the best thing to do is for the Oilers' brass to kidnap Crosby, take him out to lunch (paid for by Katz), and convince him to pressure Dubas into letting him sign with the Oilers for the rest of the season.

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Crosby should be in Vancouver to finish the job with his old buddies. He already has the biggest goal in Vancouver history.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013

Lol crosby at 36 is better than ovechkin at 36. N its not close

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Always remember they traded away those picks to secure Stanley cups.

3>1

Reactions: sanscosm

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What would you do as GM of the Pens?

As I explained previously, Pittsburgh needs to sell everyone they possibly can - - other than Crosby - - at the deadline. Retain 100% salary on all pending UFAs to make them more enticing and just take back draft picks.

Pittsburgh isn’t likely to make the playoffs this year as is, and even if they squeak in by some miracle, they’re not going anywhere.

This should be obvious to even the most incompetent GM. Unfortunately for Penguin fans, Kyle Dumbass is way beyond incompetent.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I do feel bad for Sid (in the way one “feels bad” for guys playing a game for millions) because he’s still an absolutely elite player who should be chasing more Cups instead of stuck with the mess in Pittsburgh. Especially when he never chased the maximum pay day he could have, partially in order to keep his team competitive. Him not retiring a Penguin seems inconceivable but I would love to see him in Colorado for a few years. That would be absolutely epic.

Meh... They're like the Washington Capitals. They're done being a contending team and will be hard-pressed to make the playoffs this year and in the coming years but they have a franchise legend who will be with the team until he retires. Until he does, they'll keep tinkering with the roster in hopes of making it good enough to sneak into a playoff spot.
How exactly in this day any player is likely let alone expected to retire on their career team?

I could obviously go to the NFL where Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Montana all retired elsewhere while Elway and Marino were late 90s retirements that IMO were somewhat rare of a situation where Elway had his best team and retired on top while Marino simply chose not to play 1 more year elsehwere (Minnesota).

The NHL in a lot of ways is worse. Let's take a gander shall we?

Plante
Sawchuk
Lafleur
Robinson
Orr
Gretzky
Bourque
Esposito
Dionne
Howe
Hull Sr
Jagr
Messier
Trottier
Modano
Aflredsson
Iginla
Sundin
Brodeur

And most of the guys who did stay with their primary team retired rather early. You really only have the Habs legends who played before the 80s and a few guys like Clarke, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Sakic who frankly speaking adjusted and were on top level teams. I mean, I guess we can say in cases like Modano, Bourque they could have stayed on their teams but wanted to chase a title but that doesn't mean guys like Ovechkin and Crosby should be expected to not try and chase another ring if they want to.

For me I just think there's no real precedent nor can a player be expected to stay with their franchise team till retirement. Ovechkin I suppose just with the record and age will retire a Capital but that's in the NHL as he will more than likely play at least one season in the KHL. Crosby seems to be aging better as a contributor with no forseeable major milestones that franchise will absolutely want him to be in the Pens uniform. I think it's too juicy an opportunity for him to try and go for a 4th ring which btw is a pretty big divider in the modern NHL.

Hall of Famers since 00s with 4 Rings: Lidstrom, Niedermayer.........................................
Can add Larry Murphy and Claude Lemieux as the next most recent 4 Cup champs of Hall of Fame level. So as you can see. I bet he's looking at Kane's chances.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
EK isn't the reason the team is where they're at in the standings. Hell I shudder to think how much worse they'd be if they still had Petry and Granlund instead of EK.

The problem is the depth stinks and the coaching stinks and Dubas didn't address either of those issues. EK alone wasn't enough to get the Pens back into a playoff spot. But it wasn't a bad trade. It would have been a good trade if Dubas had done well with the rest of the roster and/or had the balls to replace Sullivan but...he hasn't and he doesn't.
It’s a running theme with Dubas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad