Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
the whole thing seems unreal still. When they went down 3-0 I mourned the loss and was past it pretty much... then the comeback and loss... what a flurry of emotions
Yes, mourning the loss twice makes it even more difficult to get over.

After Game 3, I began mourning the incoming Cup loss and just hoping that the Oilers have one solid home game and avoid the sweep.
After the Game 4 blowout win, I was happy to avoid the sweep, content with watching a fun win in Edmonton, and was hoping they could survive the Panthers pushback in Game 5, but still it was apparent that the hill to climb seemed insurmountable.
After the Game 5 win, you saw a bit of panic in the Panthers and their fans so the hope that the Oilers could actually complete the comeback started to rise again because you knew Edmonton was going play well during their final home game in a rocking Rogers Place.
After Game 6, the series is tied and you knew they had a 50-50 chance, and the Cup once again felt like a real possibility.

Then the Cup was gone again after a 60 minute battle in the slushy ice with prison rules reffing...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
the whole thing seems unreal still. When they went down 3-0 I mourned the loss and was past it pretty much... then the comeback and loss... what a flurry of emotions
This indeed made it more difficult. Its like we grieved multiple times. But not just this series. The Oilers were in peril at times in series against Vancouver, and arguably against Dallas while they were down 2-1 in games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yes, mourning the loss twice makes it even more difficult to get over.

After Game 3, I began mourning the incoming Cup loss and just hoping that the Oilers have one solid home game and avoid the sweep.
After the Game 4 blowout win, I was happy to avoid the sweep, content with watching a fun win in Edmonton, and was hoping they could survive the Panthers pushback in Game 5, but still it was apparent that the hill to climb seemed insurmountable.
After the Game 5 win, you saw a bit of panic in the Panthers and their fans so the hope that the Oilers could actually complete the comeback started to rise again because you knew Edmonton was going play well during their final home game in a rocking Rogers Place.
After Game 6, the series is tied and you knew they had a 50-50 chance, and the Cup once again felt like a real possibility.

Then the Cup was gone again after a 60 minute battle in the slushy ice with prison rules reffing...
Well expressed. In a coin flip, which is a lot of what game 7's are about, its 50/50

But the other variables were goaltending, ice quality, whistles in pockets and injuries and these all going against the Oilers. Keeping vast majority of game 5 on 5 of course aided the Panthers who were awful on PP in series and who were defnitely not as good as Oilers in special teams. The Oilers had a better PP and a better pk and scored 2 important goals on pk.

The Oilers had hope in game 7 but all the variables were going to be against them. They fairly knew it too. To their credit though the Oilers hadn't presumed anything in regards to taking game 7.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
This indeed made it more difficult. Its like we grieved multiple times. But not just this series. The Oilers were in peril at times in series against Vancouver, and arguably against Dallas while they were down 2-1 in games.
Game 1 against the Canucks - gut punch - same with Game 5

Game 4 against the Stars down 2-0 and lifeless... that didn't look good either

Maybe next year they can learn to make it a little easier on themselves both in the regular season and during playoffs

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Playing with an abdominal injury that requires surgery all season. Playing with busted ribs for two full rounds. Those are not excuses those are reality. Canucks fans saying the Oilers are making excuses that rich :laugh:
One could also argue we saw the same thing play out last year with Florida. I remember Tkachuk couldn't even dress himself with a broken sternum. Ekblad had a broken foot, torn oblique, two dislocated shoulders and had to undergo concussion testing. I believe Bennett had a fracture of some sort.

Absolutely agree. Injuries aren't excuses, they just are.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

Cap situation is arguably much worse now than when Chia was punted. Roster is obviously better, but in Holland only added two impact players in five years. Not good enough.

When the McDavid and Draisaitl injury news dropped, those same losers were talking about the Oilers making excuses. Pathetic fanbase, hope they suffer for a long long time.
We could go transaction vs transaction between Chiarelli and Holland but that'll take too long. Look at the results. Team reached playoffs 4 years out of five with Holland. Chiarelli, once? ... Lucic signing and Hall trade were the worst F ups by any GM in recent memory.

Yes, Nurse contract sucks. I can't argue with that although that was the market at the time. Campbell buyout will be 1.5m for most of the years. Cap is going up.

They both stink in their own way but Chia was a disaster.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
One could also argue we saw the same thing play out last year with Florida. I remember Tkachuk couldn't even dress himself with a broken sternum. Ekblad had a broken foot, torn oblique, two dislocated shoulders and had to undergo concussion testing. I believe Bennett had a fracture of some sort.

Absolutely agree. Injuries aren't excuses, they just are.
Exactly I remember Jason Smith played half the playoffs in 06 with not one but two separated shoulders. Lowe played on a broken foot during the 97 Dallas series too. Guys go above and beyond for the chance at glory. Not excuses just the way it is.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
I know im supposed to be positive and say hey we made it one game away. The season was a success, they did so good, blah blah blah. Honestly though to make it this far, one win away and lose is actually so brutal. The NHL playoffs are incredibly grueling and difficult. In reality there is a chance that this was Mcdrai's one and only chance.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I know im supposed to be positive and say hey we made it one game away. The season was a success, they did so good, blah blah blah. Honestly though to make it this far, one win away and lose is actually so brutal. The NHL playoffs are incredibly grueling and difficult. In reality there is a chance that this was Mcdrai's one and only chance.
There is a very good chance that this was it.

After next year the key core players (other than Mcdrai) on this team will be too old.

This year we seen just how gruelling the playoffs are. It doesn't work with players that are too old.

For how heavy we lean on him, next year Ekholm might be "too old"

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
It definitely has crossed my mind, what are the odds again? I wouldn't bet on it

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It definitely has crossed my mind, what are the odds again? I wouldn't bet on it
In recent times we have seen far more repeat teams making the CF or Finals. Florida just did it. The Avs did it Dallas did it the Bolts did it 3 times. The trick is to keep the majority of the pieces in place. I don’t think it’s going to be another 18 years especially since the last time we had to dismantle over half the team. Stay positive we will see another finals very soon IMO.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I am of the view that if you have a guy who can come close to setting the all time record for playoff points in a season.... that is the type of player who makes the Cup final more than once in his career.

We'll be back people. I believe it. Could be as soon as next year.

The ones hand-wringing about making the Finals again, I understand, but I also think a team that lost to the eventual Cup winners 3 years in a row is right there. There is room for improvement. Higher placement in the standings and shorter series' will make this a lot more likely.

Lannes

May 5, 2024
I am of the view that if you have a guy who can come close to setting the all time record for playoff points in a season.... that is the type of player who makes the Cup final more than once in his career.

We'll be back people. I believe it. Could be as soon as next year.

I dunno... that was my logic for thinking they would win game seven.

40 point forward? Playoff assist record? 30 point defenseman? Playoff defenseman assist record? Those teams win Cups, I said.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
There's too many teams. It's grueling for fans, and maybe somewhat daft of us, to cheer on a team with like a 2% chance each year.

I don't disagree but the league parity is a farce. Most teams have no chance of making the playoffs and the ones that just sneak in tend to get obliterated by the better team in the first round.

Really where I think it gets tough is once you hit the Conference Finals. Generally the two teams are fairly even and a coin flip. Sometimes the "weaker" team makes it through (and gets exposed in the Finals).

If they can make it past the Conference Finals again over the next few seasons, I think they win it all.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
In recent times we have seen far more repeat teams making the CF or Finals. Florida just did it. The Avs did it Dallas did it the Bolts did it 3 times. The trick is to keep the majority of the pieces in place. I don’t think it’s going to be another 18 years especially since the last time we had to dismantle over half the team. Stay positive we will see another finals very soon IMO.
Will try to, but just too many obstacles stacked against, us. Other teams will improve, some have already started. Those 4 teams you mentioned are all US Markets for one thing, the value of the income for the league from our hay days of the 80's (Canada vs US) to these days are like night and day. Just Imagine, the thought of a team in UTAH, now because the dessert didn't pan out?

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

40 point forward? Playoff assist record? 30 point defenseman? Playoff defenseman assist record? Those teams win Cups, I said.
I see the difference as being one game versus the entire regular season and 4 rounds of playoffs.

In a single game, lots can happen. You could throw the San Jose Sharks out there and they might eeek out a victory with some goaltending and lucky bounces. But luck and bounces even out over time.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Hate to say it, but I think they would have if McDrai weren't injured. Somehow amazingly, they would have both produced more and maybe they don't even go to 7 and win in 6.

To me, once they went down 3-0 I was more or less at peace with whatever happened. It's simply way too hard to give 4 shots to the other team and make it through, especially with the last game on the road.

They need to have a good start this season and have a higher seed. Yes, the "come back mentality" / "never quit belief" brought them that far but they emptied the tank chasing 3 of 4 series. The teams that coast to a President's Trophy tend to have low intensity in the playoffs that can lead to upsets but a team that has to battle back every series just runs out of gas. And longer series leads to more injuries. It cost them the Cup

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Will try to, but just too many obstacles stacked against, us. Other teams will improve, some have already started. Those 4 teams you mentioned are all US Markets for one thing, the value of the income for the league from our hay days of the 80's (Canada vs US) to these days are like night and day. Just Imagine, the thought of a team in UTAH, now because the dessert didn't pan out?
I can see that side being larger US markets but at the same time I look at the quality of the teams that accomplished it and see no difference between the Oilers now and say the Bolts or Dallas. We have the players in their prime that are chomping at the bit. They were one goal away. It’s more I think about the quality of the teams then there geographical location. What teams in the west do see trumping what the Oilers have right now?

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Has it been mentioned that Skinner let in that one goal that just couldn't happen in that game? I think in his head, Bob knew he just had to be better than the oilers in goal and he was.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Has it been mentioned that Skinner let in that one goal that just couldn't happen in that game? I think in his head, Bob knew he just had to be better than the oilers in goal and he was.
lol yes it has been thrown out there a few times. If it was a plug scoring that goal o get it but the guy who scored it had 57 goals this year and forever and a day to pick his spot. Can’t blame Skinner on that one IMO. That’s like saying a goalie should have it if Leon had made the same shot. Goal scorers find a way

Reactions: alanschu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad