Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Indeed, a well-placed source has told The Post that GM Chris Drury is working on a deal to send the captain to the Red Wings, a trade that the Michigan native would presumably accept after having played as a freshman for the Wolverines in 2012-13.

We are told the Rangers may retain $2.5 million per year on the two remaining seasons of Trouba’s $8M annual cap charge. That represents 31.25 percent retention that would also be applied to the $12M in salary Trouba has coming over the next two seasons.

If that does become the amount of retention if this deal goes through, that would clear an additional $5.5M in space … but the Blueshirts would have to then find a reasonable replacement for the most physical and menacing player on the team who held down a spot on their first penalty-kill unit.

Drury better get a good return for retaining $2.5M.

1719654086882.png

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I thought Brooks said Trouba isn't going anywhere and that he was the team's shadow mouthpiece. Now we are back in on Kane?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Predictions for tonight:

- Shesterkin for Tkachuk, Ullmark, Chychrun
- Zib, Lindgren for Eichel, Theodore, Roy
- Trouba for Utah’s 6th overall pick
- Kakko for Askarov

Predictions for July 1:
- Matt Roy 5m aav
- Guentzel 8m aav
- Domi 2m aav

2025 Cup Champs:

Tkachuk-Eichel-Lafreniere
Panarin-Trocheck-Guentzel
Kreider- Domi - Cuylle
Berard - Roy - Vesey

Chychrun - Fox
Theodore - Roy
Jones - Schneider

Ullmark
Quick
Askarov
I was asked to comment on the above:

- Shesterkin for Tkachuk, Ullmark, Chychrun
NO
better use of repurposing Shesty, Sens do not do it, while Igor is better than Ul, they are best served by having a good enuf elite G as opposed to the best one, given it is a cap league and that impacts roster
also don't want Chych

- Zib, Lindgren for Eichel, Theodore, Roy
Vegas says NO

- Trouba for Utah’s 6th overall pick
not enuf psychedelic drugs for that to [have] happen[ed]

- Kakko for Askarov
NO

Predictions for July 1:
- Matt Roy 5m aav
- Guentzel 8m aav
- Domi 2m aav
Roy gets 7-8 per dep on term, no
also would like Roy as stopgap but do not want to give a long term deal

Guentz maybe 8.5 x 8 to stay CAR
do not want to do long term contract

no to Domi

2025 Cup Champs:
yr projections do not happen, so listing is moot

I’ll give Trouba and 30 for Zegras
it will take more

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The return better be some futures or a good young center for Trouba. He’s not as bad as many here are clamoring and at $5.5m he has real value. I wonder if the deal was either take back Holl or retain. I’d prefer to retain.
He is a 3rd pairing defensemen who was glaringly bad all season. He can’t make a breakout pass to save his life. He routinely is out of position. I love his leadership but I can’t see him playing a meaningful role on a Stanley cup winning team.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He is a 3rd pairing defensemen who was glaringly bad all season. He can’t make a breakout pass to save his life. He routinely is out of position. I love his leadership but I can’t see him playing a meaningful role on a Stanley cup winning team.
I can see him bouncing back as a decent third pairing guy, or even #4 if all goes right. Still not anywhere near 8mil value, and I'm on board with moving him because I just want a different look for this D-corps. We don't have the luxury of having too many top value contracts. Lafreniere I expect to be one. That's about it, and you need those serious surplus value contracts to have an 8 million dollar boat anchor.

Can't we just waive him & NOT retain?
Is someone really going to claim him for his full value? I mean I guess you could try.

Reactions: gump116

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I'm guessing Detroit is a preferred destination for Trouba. Probably trying to get something done there before expanding to lesser-desired teams. I think while I would get rid of Trouba for free, the retention most likely means a return of some kind.
Wouldn’t mind Perry as the return, ideally instead of the retention. Only 1 year left at 2.4m cap hit, so wouldn’t owe anything after this year and could be 3rd pair rhd.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Only situation where I’d be fine with retaining is if we don’t take a big salary back. I’d do Trouba straight up for Copp but for 2.5 retained I’d want an actual valuable prospect.

Did we not qualify Matthew Robertson? I’ve read a few posts here sounding like moratoriums on his NYR career but haven’t seen anything official

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Wouldn’t mind Perry as the return, ideally instead of the retention. Only 1 year left at 2.4m cap hit, so wouldn’t owe anything after this year and could be 3rd pair rhd.

Jeff Petry is an Ann Arbour native and he specifically wanted to go to Detroit. Can't imagine him changing tune and he has contract protections.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Also, freeing up 5.5 million in space potentially to immediately hand it to Patrick Kane is something

Drury having the stones to move Trouba is exciting. What he does with the space will tell us a lot about his thought process and if he truly “gets it.” All the chatter seems to have it as a move for the wonder twins RW, not to actually improve the defense. They will probably sign some plug to play RD on the 3rd pair or we will see Ben Harpur.

Edit or even better, giving Igor a baker’s dozen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad