Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Yup. Johnny Walker left them high and dry, but Ratboy forced a trade and they got the poison pill return of Huberdeau and the subsequent contract (Weegar is fine but not enough). Then the exodus began, Lindholm, Hanafin, Zadorov, Tanev and Markstrom.
Calgary has 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. They have a shit ton of picks in the first three rounds of the next three drafts. 15 to be exact. Compare that to the 2 first round picks and 6 picks in the first three rounds over the next three seasons for the Oilers.

If they go full rebuild they'll trade Weegar and Anderson and get another 4 top picks and some more young assets. Or they might trade a few of those picks they already have and be competitive real fast with a retool.

They also have double the projected cap space while needing to acquire less players than the Oilers. The Flames are far from down and out.

If we buyout Campbell my guess is the Flames sign him on the cheap.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Gutted like '06, but coming out of it thanks to summer and having the buzz of the Euros over here.

imo
  • massive game from Ekholm
  • Skinner is a #1
  • Broberg will never play another AHL game
Proud of the boys for putting up huge #'s, and reaching the SCF Game 7 in any case, esp. after falling down 0-3. Rest & Reload. We will punch the ticket next season, and take another run at it.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
No one outside of the Leafs fanbase talked about that team in decades until the Oilers started a comeback these finals
You're half right. Nobody may have reminisced about that team in decades, but up until the Flyers reverse swept the Bruins in 2010 (and then the Kings did it to the Sharks in 2014), the 42 Leafs & 75 Islanders were mentioned every time a team went up 3-0. It seemed obligatory for broadcast crews to say it: "The only two teams in NHL history to come back from a 3-0 deficit were the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs and 1975 New York Islanders."

Now that there are four teams in the club they don't seem to name them as much, preferring to show it on a graphic while saying something like, "Only four times in NHL history.."

In any case, nobody mentioned the "almost did it" club. Just as in time, the memory of the Oilers almost doing it will fade away.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Speaking of riots, saw a lot of neutral fans calling for some in Edmonton but there wasn’t any and actually next to no crime. Props to EPS and also the fanbase for being mature (unlike a particular one in question) about the loss

Flames fans trolls are funny. They only really have any confidence because their team won a Cup the one time they didn’t have the face the Gretzky Oilers. Way too cocky all things considered
I literally saw Canucks fans on Twitter suggesting we weren't a passionate fanbase because we did not riot after losing game 7.

Flames trolls are funny in kind of a pathetic way. I still have some respect for that fanbase because their owner sucks and they still show up for that team and fill up the saddledump every night. I find Canucks fans to be arrogant (given they have literally never won), mostly fair-weather and dumb.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yep one goal that’s all it would have taken a few inches to the right an Bouchards bomb goes post in. Will be thinking about that all summer I think

Nurse double clutching on the wide open net with Bob down and out, Forsling leaning on McDavid's stick to keep him from tucking into an open cage (a healthy 97 probably shrugs that off), a few pucks that went off Panthers players to just trickle wide. Nightmare fuel.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The one Canadian fanbase who seemed chill with the oilers all playoffs was the Habs fanbase. They were all wishing us luck and seemed classy.
That’s because there is zero rivalry with the Habs. Also the Sens seemed on board as well. Hell even Jets fans were for the most part on our side. The Canucks Flames and Leafs were most rooting against us due to rivalry. I think the Canucks fans were the absolute worst though. The entire last two rounds they couldn’t stop crying about Demko and boesser not playing game 7.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, Chiarelli really screwed this team hard. I think it took Holland a couple of seasons to clean his mess only to make some of his own although not nearly as bad as that F*** UP Chiarelli made.

you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

Cap situation is arguably much worse now than when Chia was punted. Roster is obviously better, but in Holland only added two impact players in five years. Not good enough.

That’s because there is zero rivalry with the Habs. Also the Sens seemed on board as well. Hell even Jets fans were for the most part on our side. The Canucks Flames and Leafs were most rooting against us due to rivalry. I think the Canucks fans were the absolute worst though. The entire last two rounds they couldn’t stop crying about Demko and boesser not playing game 7.

When the McDavid and Draisaitl injury news dropped, those same losers were talking about the Oilers making excuses. Pathetic fanbase, hope they suffer for a long long time.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
You'll be be right back next year boys!! Bouchard, Hyman, McDavid and Leon went on historic runs and were severely injured near the end. Skinner has another year of experience and maturity and will only be better next year.

You still have another shot at it with the same crew, and who knows, if you bring back the band long-term I don't see how you don't win the cup at some point.

I know it's hard to digest almost overcoming a historic comeback--- but you guys just had an amazing season and should only build on that with Final experience.

You'll be back!!!!!!!!!! 24-25 champs!! Believe!

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Heh, just got a troll like from a Cucks fan on the mains from a post I made on May 4th

Some poster that said that McDavid might as well not be playing if he’s not putting up points, compared to Sid who “does it all”

Weird obsession a lot of that fanbase has with this team. I guess 50+ years of absolute zilch gets to people. Panthers yet another team with a cup before the NoCupNucks
I think the same poster troll liked one of my posts from this forum. I reported it and rather than disciplining that poster, the post just got removed. It's a poster that's loved by the mods over there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.gif

Cap situation is arguably much worse now than when Chia was punted. Roster is obviously better, but in Holland only added two impact players in five years. Not good enough.

When the McDavid and Draisaitl injury news dropped, those same losers were talking about the Oilers making excuses. Pathetic fanbase, hope they suffer for a long long time.
Playing with an abdominal injury that requires surgery all season. Playing with busted ribs for two full rounds. Those are not excuses those are reality. Canucks fans saying the Oilers are making excuses that rich :laugh:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Playing with an abdominal injury that requires surgery all season. Playing with busted ribs for two full rounds. Those are not excuses those are reality. Canucks fans saying the Oilers are making excuses that rich :laugh:

Yeah those are just facts. unlike Cucks fans, no one is saying we would have won it all without those injuries, shit happens, everyone is banged up.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If some of those people had Draisaitl's injuries, they wouldn't get out of bed let alone play hockey. Even certain members of our own fanbase (about 10-12) couldn't seem to understand this reality.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah those are just facts. unlike Cucks fans, no one is saying we would have won it all without those injuries, shit happens, everyone is banged up.
Too be fair I hold true that if Leon had been able to shoot the pick we win in 6. But at the same time it was only one goal we needed in the end to force an OT so it’s a moot point to make.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Calgary has 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. They have a shit ton of picks in the first three rounds of the next three drafts. 15 to be exact. Compare that to the 2 first round picks and 6 picks in the first three rounds over the next three seasons for the Oilers.

If they go full rebuild they'll trade Weegar and Anderson and get another 4 top picks and some more young assets. Or they might trade a few of those picks they already have and be competitive real fast with a retool.

They also have double the projected cap space while needing to acquire less players than the Oilers. The Flames are far from down and out.

If we buyout Campbell my guess is the Flames sign him on the cheap.

But……like who f***ing cares.

The Flames are on the Sharks radar not ours.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I had many posts typed out for this thread. Analyzing the game itself, pointing out scapegoats, questioning the level of execution, the coaching choices, the GWG, the lack of bearing down at the biggest stage... none of it made me feel better or felt worth posting because at the the end of it I'm just f***ing devastated like the rest of you and that's all that really matters. Truly thought we were going to do it. The fact that this pain will linger and just stick forever unless we win just weighs me down. And I know it will stick because '06 still does.

Probably the fresh pain talking, but I don't see us getting back here next year. We've played so much extra, fatiguing hockey the last 3 years (most playoff GP in the last 3 years in the West, I believe). Our two superstars have 2 months basically to potentially have surgery, heal, rehab, reset mentally, and train for 24-25. Insane ask. This is a 32-team league that manufactures competition to give everyone a chance. And frankly, it's never a given no matter how good you are. One appearance in 9 years of McDavid. Dallas has been trying to return since 2020. Vegas and Colorado have as many 1st round exits as Cups in the last few years, Vegas even missed the playoffs 2 years ago. And every team is trying to improve, we don't know who will show up, east or west. Florida's appearance last year was from a sub 90-pt season and wild card finish. There are stories to be told that may not involve us, that's just playoffs. We may make it happen, but this was the shot for me. We didn't finish the job.

This f***ing sucks. Would've meant everything after all the crap years and constant ridicule. Just more hollow and hurt to be had now. And you know the boys feel it tenfold. This sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad