Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Hell of a season, playoffs and great comeback down 0-3, but a big letdown tonight. Playoffs show your weaknesses and we showed ours in 4 losses.

Hope the new GM shakes up the formula a bit at forward and fixes the defense.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought the Oilers played great. Some great chances to try to tie it. The Panthers played maybe their best game of the playoffs.

This does hurt bad but I think I hurt worse in the loses to Winnipeg and Chicago

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You must be joking. Cannot believe that you are going to criticize goaltending when Draisaitl went goalless in the series and was a ghost tonight. Just a terrible performance from him with everything on the line.

That’s the takeaway for me. I used to feel sorry for McDavid and Draisaitl because they didn’t have the supporting cast. It you don’t get to game 7 of the SC Finals every season. This was it. I expected a performance from 29 and 97. Sadly, the supporting cast showed up, but the stars didn’t.
Draisaitl didn't have much left in Final series but was very good in game 6 and in most of this game. We'll find out the injury lists and status of the players.

Yeah I know this was it. They all know it was. Florida Panthers know it too. One team is gonna win, one is gonna lose and unmistakably goaltending was the slim margin in a game 7.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Jeez people. Lots of toxicity in here today. We were one goal away from overtime in the Stanley Cup finals. It's okay to be upset. But calling out players right now I'd awful. Calling this team losers is pathetic. Blaming any one player or players...it's embarrassing.
I agree.

We lost, that’s life. Time to support all the players and the team at this time and look forward to next season.

Enough with the toxic crap.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
No time for Skinner haters.

I’m not even a big fan of the player.. but come the hell on. This team isn’t built to win 1-0 hockey games.

Go blame Jack Campbell and Ken Holland for us having zero frickin money for a veteran goalie.

Skinner did his job. We had a chance.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Zero blame on Skinner for the winning goal. Kulak let the second best goal scorer of the year walk in and pick his spot.

Draisaitl, RNH and Hyman were completely invisible during this round. If even one of them showed up this series probably has a different result.

I think the nerves of game 7 for the Cuo really got to the team. You could see how nervous Draisaitl was during a pregame interview and this was probably one of the worst games I’ve seen Mcdavid play. Regardless, I still believe this team will win multiple Cups in the next 5 years.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Going all the way to game 7 after being down 3-0 in a series and beating odds all season sure ain't failure. We were right there and I don't want to hear that the players didn't lay it all on the line, they did in spades to get it this far.

Only one team gets to W a game 7. Oilers aren't losers and Flyers in 87 and Oilers in 2006 weren't either, imo. You go to game 7 of the SC final and you deserve to be there and nobody can take that away.
Yep. But it's a lot of damn hard work and pain to get there. That one is gonna leave a scar.

It's a war of attrition getting thru the West.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't know. If we got swept there would have been a feeling of "well, we didn't deserve to be here" but clearly we do.

And unlike 2006, knock on wood, the team isn't going to fall apart in a week.
The team is basically re signed in terms of core players. We will try to retain our third line, which will be really tough

Reactions: Oilhawks

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Do people really think McDavid no showed? What did Barkov or Tkachuck do?

NHL hockey is really hard when the league doesn't enforce rules.
Meh, they’re not going to call anything that gives us an edge in a game 7. Can’t rely on the refs, who I thought were at least decent after game 2 or part of 3, when you can’t get it done 5x5.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I’m proud of the guys for battling so hard all season and almost pulling off this comeback. It’s so disappointing that tonight went the way it did though - they just didn’t seem like they were able to meet the moment with the combativeness that was necessary. Here’s hoping the players get some good rest for the next few weeks and the roster comes together well over the summer.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
What a thoroughly disappointing no show from the top 6, in the biggest game of the year. To think they expended all that effort and work only to completely disappear like that... Draisaitl, McDavid, Nuge, Hyman, Bouchard... all with poor efforts today. They didn't deserve to win it tonight and that absolutely sucks to realize as a fan. They may well never reach this pinnacle again. Incredibly disappointing showing by the 'leadership' core.

Short turnaround so I think it's fine to post here but guys they need to divest themselves of / will lose through attrition in some form:

Mcleod, Ryan (retire), Perry (retire...), Foegele. I'd add Nurse but he stabilized with a f***ing rookie who showed more poise and hockey sense than a 10 year + vet like him. Besides which, no sane GM would take on his garbage $9.25 million contract. I'll be surprised if Henrique re-signs, he's lived in California for a number of years now and I can't imagine his family would want to move away from that. Ceci.. I don't know. He was actually ok tonight, and away from Nurse isn't a complete moron but still a very mediocre defender.

Just way too many questions still lingering. Still gutted knowing the top 6 went AWOL in the biggest moment.
Yeah, I wouldn't give any credit to the Panthers.
1 goal away from the cup and you whine, don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad