Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Ass-Goblin Gary Buttman can’t be gone soon enough. Even if it’s “bit his fault” the stink is there

I don't think its necessarily his fault in any way ( A cup in Canada would be massive for the NHL ) but I do call it the Bettman curse for a reason.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is why the NHL needs to enforce a standard. If you can’t have reasonable ice then you either upgrade your building or all 7 games get played in the other building.

This isn’t an outdoor sport, the ice was a joke.
I agree with this, 100%. If you can't make ice in June, play the game somewhere else.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think its necessarily his fault in any way ( A cup in Canada would be massive for the NHL ) but I do call it the Bettman curse for a reason.
Canada hasn't/won't win a Cup for 30 years and then we'll win 5 in 10 years. Law of averages.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Unfortunately unlikely. Nobody ever comes out of the West two years in a row. Just doesn't happen and difficult to do. Other teams have been resting for months and will have much longer offseasons and much more energy for next season.

NHL playoffs is such an attrition battle that nobody in WEst goes 4 rounds and then does it again immediately the next year.

My take is we Win the cup with better goaltending this season and we could have won it last year too.
and teams never make the playoffs being 10 points out of the playoffs at American Thanksgiving yet they got all the way to Game 7
never say never with this group

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Told my wife "luck and mistakes", that's what it comes down to.

Lots of time to point fingers. Florida didn't really make a mistake tonight.

Top 2 teams in the league, their defence beat our offence, let's see how injured 97&29 were.

Literally could not be closer. I'd rather this than being swept.

Agreed. Seen a few posters say that a sweep would have been easier to digest. Disagree. This much more easily shows they don’t need to improve much to win it

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
I don’t think bob was that good Florida just played like a more desperate team. The D man saved a goal in that one scramble. They were in shooting lanes and doing everything they could to not give us a clean look. We failed to match their intensity from puck drop.

I'm not blaming the refs but let's be honest. After the Oilers got a courtesy PP, it was prison rules and there was no way Florida was getting called.

You give up that early lead in a SCF game seven against one of Bettman's pet teams and you are well and truly f***ed.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Disappointed, gutted, sad, and angry is what I'm feeling right now. Glad McDavid didn't come back out to claim Conn Smyth Trophy; this isn't what he wants and Gary can suck it! Florida seemed to play with more will, grit, hard work, aggression, and basically were the Panthers from games 1-3. Sounds like McDavid needs surgery, from comments by Gazzola on Edmonton Sports Talk post game show. Lots of guys are injured and we'll hear about it in the next few days. Seemed liked we didn't shoot more and be cute again . I hope this gives them motivation for next season. Nobody gave them a ahot when they lost to Sharks and were dead lost in November. f*** this sucks but hell of a run and gives them motivation for next season!

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Have to add - now a days these NHL teams get a fair amount of rest in playoffs
Oilers had a week then a couple 3 days off in the finals
Back in the day it was back to back then day off and then on to the other teams arena and back to back

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner wasn’t the issue but that 2nd goal was ass. (For a SCF game 7)
You just can't allow that goal. Saw the puck, all the developing play, it was unscreened and was an obvious shot. He's low in his crouch and in his cage. Course it goes in. When Skinner is coming out to top of crease he makes that stop.

Lets not pretend it was a howitzer either. Clocked at 75mph and Shooter just knows he has to pick a spot and Skinner down so low giving up everything. Half of net was there to shoot at. Skinner froze on it. You could see this devlop as in preceding 5mins Skinner botched another couple plays and was looking shaky.

There seems to be too Skinners. Dialed in, confident, and the one that gets rattled.

Reactions: iCanada

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
wtf are you talking about. 32 years as full-time commissioner of the NHL and a 32 year Canadian Stanley Cup drought coincidentally coinciding to the day. Go sell it somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: Patch101

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Canada hasn't/won't win a Cup for 30 years and then we'll win 5 in 10 years. Law of averages.

Oh I know, I was a young teen when a team last won. I'm grey haired now. Its r*tard*d haha.
I doubt it, and if it happens it'll be the worst, most unlikely/undeserving team ever.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. Seen a few posters say that a sweep would have been easier to digest. Disagree. This much more easily shows they don’t need to improve much to win it
To an extent. I think the whole playoffs has shown which players deserve to be here and which players the team has to overcome their bad play.
I just hope that the guys in charge don’t take them making it to game 7 as a sign the work is done with this roster.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Team just didn't have it tonight. Bouchard post at one end, Skinner giving up a weak one at the other.

It is what it is.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I'm thinking maybe Kane rest of top guys - No

Yeah we’ll see

McDavid had a career low shooting percentage this year (12%) right after scoring 60+ the year before. Before he potted a couple in game 5 he was at ~8% in the playoffs

I would just assume if it is a normal injury it would heal by now given how long it has been since October. Gazolla is pretty plugged in

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Getting a skater Conn Smythe as the losing team is the final gut shot of Hollands 5 years. 2 players he inherited smashing records, blowing it away with possession and goal differential. McDavid doing it with 1 useless 5v5 winger almost all the time too.

We cannot forget why Florida got 4 chances to get it right and why our team had to get burned out by 3 do or die games in a row. Gift wrapped goals by bad 2nd and 3rd D pairs in games 1 and 3. Knob pulled off a miracle making up for terrible RHD depth Holland gave him with Kulak and Broberg on their off side. He probably saved our 3rd round by doing it. Thankful for that. That should not have needed to be done though.

Get proper management, right now. This team should be challenging for Pres trophies every year. We should have home ice almost every series.

Get a GM hire right for once, this is the last chance with McDavid and Drai while they are still able to put up world class playoff performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad