Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I shut it off at the end of the final horn, did 97 come out for the Conn or did he tell Bettman to shove up his ass?
He got it but he didn’t come out of the dressing room to accept it.

I know the media anointed Conner with the trophy after game 5 win or lose but that was after coming off back to back 4 point performances. That Barkov shut him down in the final 2 games including a game 7 series clincher, imo, that should have swung it back to him. I’ve never been a fan of the trophy being handed to a player from the losing team but it’s even worse when said player doesn’t play well in game 7. My guess is Connor, by not showing up to accept it, feels the same way.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
Duhh,

But 2 things.
Oilers game is built on speed and skill. That all goes to shit on whatever sandpaper they played on.

Panthers had 41 regular season games to practice playing on garbage ice, and a bunch in the playoffs. Oilers played their 4th game on that gravel.
They knew what the ice was like; they could have adjusted.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Can’t save them all. He made several fantastic clutch saves that more than made up for the one he didn’t get. This game should’ve been like 5-1 or 6-1 Panthers. He gave the Oilers a chance to win the game; that’s all you can ask of a goaltender in any game 7, let alone in the SCF. The rest of the team let him down (except Janmark, dude was all heart and did what nobody else on the team did). Oilers found their goalie, finally. They’ll get it done next year; I know they will.
Lol are you serious?

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Great effort by the boys until the end, just too banged up to take it all the way. Shoutout to the City of Edmonton for bringing an amazing atmosphere.

Congrats to the Cats on a well played final game.

Let's rest up and run it back to the cup next year

Reactions: Ibanez and Wreckus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
In 2006 I thought the team mailed in game seven (well, nearly everyone except Pisani). Tonight it felt like the effort was there, but the tank was empty.

And like you, I’m still very proud of this team. From worst to second is pretty amazing.
Agree with this. I don't think the Oilers got anything going in that game 7 and got outplayed as I recall. In this one the Oilers were down but never out and battling the whole way. Getting chances and working hard for them.

If I cared to watch the game twice I could pick out half a dozen moments each where McD and Drai both walked players leading to scoring chances and both made plays. Ultimately against a good defensive club playing their close checking game and with Bobo in net you just knew one goal could break the game.

They were full credit all along. Oilers were the better team in game 7. people forget the Booch goal post for instance? Bobo making stupendous saves off McD?

Reactions: Valhallis

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Bennet said Mcdavid dragged his team all the way back, even though many think he choked lol

Im not gutted like in 2006, maybe cause I went through losing one? Or maybe because im just excited to win this elusive trophy next year. If Florida can do it, Mcdavid can do it.

Bennett and his ex-Flames buddy Ratboy got dragged to a cup win by their team, so he would know

And feel the same with the bolded

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We have no idea if we will ever make it back to the SCF in the near future. We had a great season but who knows…

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton

No surprise to anyone who has followed McDavid. I’ve been calling it all year, he can’t shoot the puck and it’s been like that the entire season. Pretty amazing what him and the team were able to accomplish given injuries to key players like him and Draisaitl. I imagine Drai picked up a litany of injuries this run.

Like another poster said the start to next year might be a little rough if a few of these guys need to go under the knife

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If I have one critique, it's about guys in netfront battles. STICKS ON THE ICE!

Foegele drove the net in the 2nd period and we had a guy in front cross-checking a defenseman. We had three glorious scrambles that could've resulted in the game tying goal.
Holloway was particularly bad at this tonight. A few times Drai fed the puck to his area and Holloway was too busy banging and crashing to look at the puck. It happens. Foegele was going tonight but Holloway was for the birds.

Like I said before I would've put Kane in if he was able to go. Guys that brought absolutely nothing tonight were Perry, Ryan, McLeod, Brown. Didn't think they had it going.

Still, what a player Janmark was. he deserved a better ending.

Reactions: belair

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm f***ing gutted.

Thanks for being along for this ride, gentlemen and ladies. Been very enjoyable posting with y'all for months and years.

This one f***ing hurts.

Cup or bust next year.
Same back to you dude. We had a great year, was a fun ride. Oil Country is gonna feel it tonight, but we should be proud of this ride we went on.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Listening to Gazzola- for those listening did he just say it’s going to come out that McDavid was injured most of the year and will likely need surgery?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Listening to Gazzola- for those listening did he just say it’s going to come out that McDavid was injured most of the year and will likely need surgery?
Well yeah, he rarely shot the puck. everyone knew that.

Drai lost his shot too. He's likely going to need time off for broken ribs.
Kane needs hernia surgury. If he were 100% we might have won one of those first 3, but he is getting kinda old.

Reactions: McDoused

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Absolutely gutting. Like 2006, I shut the game off immediately once it was over, and like in 2006, will never watch any of the handshake or Fla celebrations. Just too gut wrenching. Boys gave it all they had, it just wasn’t in the cards. Fla is a good team, worthy champions, it’s just too bad it will be forgotten about down there by Thursday. On a positive for the league, it’s one less team they will have to relocate in the next few years, as a Fla loss would have had major repercussions for that franchise. This is the toughest loss imaginable, in some ways it’s less painful to go out early in the playoffs. But it’s been a hell of an entertaining ride, a 4.5 star season that I’ll always remember. But much like 2006, it will haunt me for a long, long time. This loss is going to fuel McDavid, he knows this wasn’t his best game. Been a fun year boys and girls, just wasn’t our time yet. I really hope the saying what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is true, cause I can’t handle another game 7 SC loss.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He got it but he didn’t come out of the dressing room to accept it.

I know the media anointed Conner with the trophy after game 5 win or lose but that was after coming off back to back 4 point performances. That Barkov shut him down in the final 2 games including a game 7 series clincher, imo, that should have swung it back to him. I’ve never been a fan of the trophy being handed to a player from the losing team but it’s even worse when said player doesn’t play well in game 7. My guess is Connor, by not showing up to accept it, feels the same way.
Lol at Barkov single handheld shutting McDavid down including on the PPs. That's a myth.
McDavid didn't come out because he didn't care for the trophy without the other one.
He is team first.. what did you expect after failing to register a point in last 2 games he would come out happy and accept the MVP trophy?
Barkov couldn't hold his jock when it comes to being MVP .. McDavid was gretzky good these playoffs .. far above any other player.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Agree with this. I don't think the Oilers got anything going in that game 7 and got outplayed as I recall. In this one the Oilers were down but never out and battling the whole way. Getting chances and working hard for them.

If I cared to watch the game twice I could pick out half a dozen moments each where McD and Drai both walked players leading to scoring chances and both made plays. Ultimately against a good defensive club playing their close checking game and with Bobo in net you just knew one goal could break the game.

They were full credit all along. Oilers were the better team in game 7. people forget the Booch goal post for instance? Bobo making stupendous saves off McD?
Disagree, fumbling the puck all game behind our blueline, losing battles, cycling and passing to death on offense before a low chance shot. Took them two periods to change up the breakout after Florida changed how their defensemen prevented zone exits. They didn’t get to the net on entry until 7 minutes left in the third.

Could call it butterflies, or run down physically after a brutal postseason, but we played right into Florida’s gameplan, like in games 2 and 3.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No surprise to anyone who has followed McDavid. I’ve been calling it all year, he can’t shoot the puck and it’s been like that the entire season. Pretty amazing what him and the team were able to accomplish given injuries to key players like him and Draisaitl. I imagine Drai picked up a litany of injuries this run.

Like another poster said the start to next year might be a little rough if a few of these guys need to go under the knife
It's an absolute grind. You hear it will virtually every series, especially after round 2, of the number of players that need surgery or time to rest and recover from injuries that in the regular season, they would take a weeks off for.

Reactions: sepHF

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
We have no idea if we will ever make it back to the SCF in the near future. We had a great season but who knows…
It’s so tough to get back, I don’t see this team doing it either. I’m resigned to the fact that might be the last chance until my 50/60’s if I’m lucky.

Not with nurse and Ceci. Skinner was great in elimination games but can he make that his norm?

Unless both Connor and Leon are severely injured and need major surgery I just don’t see this team making another big run next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad